• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
music bug doesn't just mean I won't buy
I'm done with Square Enix period
The sheer incompetence on display

ThankDougie

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo
And Schreier is typically better about mentioning such issues, too. Sure he has his hands full covering the EA layoffs today, though...

Schreier hasn't been a great reviewer for a pretty long time now. See his reactions to FF XV vs. other RPGs released that year and immediately following. If he has his love goggles on, he has his love goggles on. Which is fine. His industry coverage is top notch.

Deleted member 40604

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 3, 2018
Every fucking time. The games media outlets really let Square get away with murder.

This is such low hanging fruit for these people too. Don't try to tell me that "Square Enix refuses to fix 3 year old music bug in latest ports to Switch" isn't going to garner massive attention and clicks.

The most infuriating thing about this bug is that Square can't be arsed to fix this very simple bug that modders fixed on the PC version, but they can be arsed to retroactively patch in always online DRM into FFX on steam which also happens to break people's mods for that game. #priorities am I right?

Advc

Nov 3, 2017
Historic day on gaming. Final Fantasy VII officially in a Nintendo console after more than 20 years... Holy shit.

Last edited:

OdjnRyu

Nov 8, 2017
Can someone let me know if this FFVII port is OK? I really regretted spending $20.99 on the Final Fantasy IX Switch port considering it carried over the issues from the PS4/PC/Mobile versions like:

- No true analog movement
- Music looping bug that resets environmental music after a battle
- Higher-res 3D models that clash with the even blurrier pre-rendered backgrounds as a result
- Fast-forward button requires pausing the game, enabling fast-forward, then unpausing, but then the fast-forward zips along way too fast and you can't change the speed of it like in Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age
- Random crashes

From what I remember seeing of my roommate playing the PS4 port of Final Fantasy VII, it seemed alright? Does it have similar issues like the above?

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
Can someone let me know if this FFVII port is OK? I really regretted spending $20.99 on the Final Fantasy IX Switch port considering it carried over the issues from the PS4/PC/Mobile versions like:

- Higher-res 3D models that clash with the even blurrier pre-rendered backgrounds as a result
- Fast-forward button requires pausing the game, enabling fast-forward, then unpausing, but then the fast-forward zips along way too fast and you can't change the speed of it like in Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age
- Random crashes

From what I remember seeing of my roommate playing the PS4 port of Final Fantasy VII, it seemed alright? Does it have similar issues like the above?
After playing it for a few hours

-It's still 8 way movement
-The music bug is still present
-The 3D models don't clash as much as the IX port does, but they do look crisper
-The fast forward button is just clicking the left stick, but you only get 3x speed
-I've had one crash

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017

- Random crashes

My 3 biggest issues with this port, which are all carryovers from other ports, are

- Resetting music bug
- 30fps battle menus (60fps on PS1)
- Sephiroth's mouth hanging open in an O shape for the entire game looking dumb as hell

V2ukIYE.jpg

6O5JoEx.png

JD3Nine

The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
Texas, United States
I picked this up for Switch. I only played for about an hour or so, but right off the bat, I appreciate how there are no gray bars on the sides like FFIX had. Everything else seems ok. This port still has all of the issues that every other version has.

FuzzyAssassin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
After playing it for a few hours

-It's still 8 way movement
-The music bug is still present
-The 3D models don't clash as much as the IX port does, but they do look crisper
-The fast forward button is just clicking the left stick, but you only get 3x speed
-I've had one crash

For the record, FF7 only supported 8-way movement in the original. FF8 is when they added full analog support.

Barrel_Roll

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Small Switch screen is definitely making the low rez backgrounds more palatable than when I've tried to fire this game up on Steam over the years.

OdjnRyu

Nov 8, 2017
My 3 biggest issues with this port, which are all carryovers from other ports, are

- Resetting music bug
- Sephiroth's mouth hanging open in an O shape for the entire game looking dumb as hell

V2ukIYE.jpg

6O5JoEx.png

Yikes. This is a hard pass for me unless it's patched (unlikely). God this is so disappointing! I might as well just replay FFVII through IX on my PS Vita instead. Such a bummer.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Yes. Most of the time I can ignore it, but not during the end of Disc 1. Really kills the mood there for me. He just looks so silly.

The QOL improvements are enough for me to look past a lot of this, but it's baffling that Square doesn't make a couple of relatively easy fixes to win over the people on the fence. FF7 is one of my favorite games so I can take a few compromises, but I understand if others feel differently.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Yikes. This is a hard pass for me unless it's patched (unlikely). God this is so disappointing! I might as well just replay FFVII through IX on my PS Vita instead. Such a bummer.

WHAT The fuck? And actually FFX/X-2 had open mouth syndrome too but not that bad.

How can square shit on their games like this and get away with it? STOP BUYING THESE SHIT PORTS PEOPLE

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
WHAT The fuck? And actually FFX/X-2 had open mouth syndrome too but not that bad.

How can square shit on their games like this and get away with it? STOP BUYING THESE SHIT PORTS PEOPLE

Asking a couple of people on a forum to stop buying Final Fantasy games is like throwing a pebble at a tank.

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man, I've never played FF7 before and figured this would be the perfect chance to experience it. But not with that music bug. It's the same reason I, regrettably, chose not to replay FF9.

Ardiloso

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brazil

- Resetting music bug

V2ukIYE.jpg

6O5JoEx.png
Wow. Thanks for the heads up. There's no way I'm wasting my money with such half assed work.

OdjnRyu

Nov 8, 2017
This three times speed is a game changer. Does the FF9 port have it too?

FFIX only has a fast-forward option that requires you to pause the game, press a button to toggle it, then unpause, but there's only one speed mode and it's RIDICULOUSLY FAST. Not anywhere as good or intuitive as the FFVII or FFXII speed toggles.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
the backgrounds are pretty ugly, but its tolerable and you can feel the effort that went behind making them way back then
loving the games atmosphere so far. also haven't noticed the music bug at all yet. maybe its just the beginning of the game thats different? or its just me not paying attention

ShinNL

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Sorry if this has been asked before:

- Is A/B correct for confirm/cancel on a Nintendo console? Still didn't touch my Dark Souls copy because of this.
- Any display options? On screenshots it looks like there's space on the sides AND bottom.

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
the backgrounds are pretty ugly, but its tolerable and you can feel the effort that went behind making them way back then
loving the games atmosphere so far. also haven't noticed the music bug at all yet. maybe its just the beginning of the game thats different? or its just me not paying attention

I think it will only annoy if you had played this to death originally back in 1997

Jackano

Oct 27, 2017
what are those cheats and 3x speed some people are talking about?
Game run smooth and quick, and analog stick makes Cloud always running so I first thought it was it but apparently no?

the_wart

Oct 25, 2017
Uuuuurgh Square Enix's treatment of their back-catalog of industry-defining classics is just so unbelievably awful. They just seem to not give even the slightest semblance of a shit.

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine if Square's legacy catalog got the M2 quality treatment. Just imagine that.

Also, gaping mouth Sephiroth is unfortunate and inappropriately hilarious.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
#TeamAeris, you will either bend the knee or I shall destroy you.

#TeamAerith

I'm still baffled by people who are adamant that her name is Aeris. Even more baffled when the defense is that somehow Aerith sounds "pretentious." Like Aeris is basically pronounced like heiress (unless I'm wrong on how to pronounce it), that ain't pretentious?

retrobotjr

Jan 10, 2018
I don't really care about the argument but I personally vastly prefer Aeris as a name and will forever keep her that way

Deleted member 49179

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2018

- Resetting music bug

V2ukIYE.jpg

6O5JoEx.png

tenor.gif

Sephiroth looks so silly!

And I'm very nostalgic about FFVII's soundtrack. So I'm pretty sure the music bug would annoy me to no end.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
I've been naming her Aerith since the second time I replayed FF7 in 2002. I've been on board for a while.