• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We actually don't mind the chibi models so much as its extremely low poly count. Personally, I would love World of Final Fantasy-typed chibi models mod for FF VII, but I won't complain about the high-res models in the Reunion mod either.
But the low-poly count is what makes them look so cool!!! Hell, low-poly is all the rage right now in the indie sphere!

What is this!? The World of FF models are clip-art tier.

This is Pop Art:

zkom57U.jpg

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Gave it a run with the higher res models and re-translation/hd menu/font. I think it looks great.
There's even an animation mod that fixes the whole bow-armed problem. Mods are kinda hard to find and know which is the best/most current to use though, ended up taking some time to sort it all out.
qNnAu9a.jpg

pZJHxkg.jpg

D7eRLG7.jpg
WOW those character models look awesome! I might need to check this out sometime. Wish they were available for the PS4 version though lol.

Scrooge McDuck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I can see how they'd be pretty subjective, I really do think their best quality is just the extra clarity they provide.
Take this scene for example;
u22a4CJ.jpg

Back when I first played the game I remember seeing that guy on the upper right on the train and I couldn't tell what the hell was going on there, it actually just looks like a jumble of polygons.
H7MPtuP.jpg

Here, I can actually tell what's going on. I can see his hand, his foot and even the ankle that makes it clear he's laying down one leg over the other. Probably not a big deal for some but I appreciate it.
What really bothers me is how off-scale it makes everything looks. For example, it makes the train handles becomes pretty much unreachable in this screenshot, and there's a bottle bigger than Tifa in one of your previous screenshots.

Last edited:

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Those HD character models are hideousity.
Yep.

Need one of these with maybe just subtle touched-up versions of the originals.

What really bothers me is how off-scale it makes everything looks. For example, it makes the train handles becomes pretty much unreachable in this screenshot, and there's a bottle bigger than Tifa in one of your previous screenshots.
Yes it appears the people doing this are blind. The backgrounds are designed around a super-deformed style.

Joqu

Oct 25, 2017
The Waffle Kingdom
Gave it a run with the higher res models and re-translation/hd menu/font. I think it looks great.
There's even an animation mod that fixes the whole bow-armed problem. Mods are kinda hard to find and know which is the best/most current to use though, ended up taking some time to sort it all out.
qNnAu9a.jpg

pZJHxkg.jpg

D7eRLG7.jpg

So, what did you use for the arms? It's what bothered me when I checked the model mods out.

100mega

Oct 27, 2017
Background mod looks nice. I've never played the PC version so I wonder if it has some of the problems that came up in the PS4 port recently ie; music issues. I'll keep an eye on this and oh god I still wish I could get my hands on those 3d-printed character models.

Woylie

May 9, 2018
this is so cool. honestly, if someone was able to redo the models and put this in widescreen it'd be the best "FF7 remake" we could get

signal

Oct 28, 2017
this is so cool. honestly, if someone was able to redo the models and put this in widescreen it'd be the best "FF7 remake" we could get
Boorrrinnnnnggggg. Hopefully RE2 shows that remakes into 3D, even coming from prerendered backgrounds, can be really good. This is ignoring whether or not SE will deliver but an upres of backgrounds is not the "best remake we could get"

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I can see how they'd be pretty subjective, I really do think their best quality is just the extra clarity they provide.
u22a4CJ.jpg

Back when I first played the game I remember seeing that guy on the upper right on the train and I couldn't tell what the hell was going on there, it actually just looks like a jumble of polygons.
H7MPtuP.jpg

Here, I can actually tell what's going on. I can see his hand, his foot and even the ankle that makes it clear he's laying down one leg over the other. Probably not a big deal for some but I appreciate it.

The problem is their proportions. The scenery in FF7 is designed for chibi characters.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
This is all the HD remaster I really need, will definitely use these backgrounds when I come to want a replay.

I love the pre rendered art of this era so to see solutions to them being very low res by modern standards is great to see. Playing REmake 2 is also making me crave a replay of the original so if those backgrounds could be upscaled that would be awesome too.

Steiner_Zi

Oct 28, 2017
This is hugely impressive! Can I double check that this mod is finished from begininng to end for someone who wants to do a full run of the game? Or is it still largely a work in progress and better to hold off before playing for a few more weeks/months?

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
But the low-poly count is what makes them look so cool!!! Hell, low-poly is all the rage right now in the indie sphere!

What is this!? The World of FF models are clip-art tier.

This is Pop Art:

zkom57U.jpg

Real Talk, is there a mod that makes the model look as cool as this ?

edit :

I'm an idiot who can't read

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Hot takes:

- Man FF7 had beautiful, beautiful art for its time. It has that "early days of CGI" schtick to it, but arguably a lot of it has aged a much better than stuff like DKC, for example. You wouldn't even dream of having a full-3D game with that much variety today, if only for the fact that costs would be astronomic.
- That upscale tech is insane, but some stuff looks off in places. Hopefully it gets even better with time!
- Those HD 3D models are just awful. Burn them with fire! Ew.

Nov 4, 2017
Damn. i wish this around 10 years ago when i was obsessed with modding FFVII on PC. Now everything's accessible thanks to Steam and remasters. back then i had to pay a fortune for a PC version of the game and had to really fuck around with it to get it to work. And the volume of mods are incredible. I wish i had waited a few years to play the FFX HD remaster as my first experience with the game too.

Welp, still at least i got FFVIII & IX to look forward too with these new backgrounds.

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
Is anyone doing this with Resident Evil 2 and 3 on PC?

I'd also like to know this. Along with the original RE on PC. I don't get why the pre-rendered RE series didn't get any love from modders, seems like only JRPGS. I played RE3 PC today and the BGs would be legit poppin with AI assistance.

Fedeuy

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
So, if i get this right, this upscale process can be applied to the static back grounds of the old RE games?

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
u22a4CJ.jpg

H7MPtuP.jpg

Lord this looks so much better, really wish this was possible on the console releases but I'm so sick of waiting for FFVII remake I might just do this on Pc. Do you have a list of mods to get to this? The chibi models look terrible, I'd rather take messed up proportions in the backgrounds than those things.

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
Holy fuck, this looks incredible. Not sure how I missed it (for a MONTH?!) but I'm down to triple dip for the first time on a game ever.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I should have probably updated my post, but I got it working on an older version of 7th Heaven. Try downloading ver. 1.52 and setting it up exactly the same way otherwise. It runs like a charm for me now!

I eventually got it to work last night. But, I still can't get this mod working. It shows up in 7th Heaven and I can launch the game and play it no prblem, but the mod isn't doing anything. See plenty of other people saying the same thing in the comments section of the install page. I have been banging my head against it for hours. I just can't get this to work.

Other mods downloaded through 7th Heaven work no problem. It is just this one that refuses to actually do anything.

EDIT: I finally fucking got it, holy shit. I found a download for 7th Heaven 1.56 instead of the 1.54 I had and it worked. Fuck me. I could be done with disc 1 in the time it took me to get this shit working.

Last edited:

Kawika

Nov 30, 2017
I tried to get remako working but it crashed Everytime after the Chocobo Squaresoft logo. Someone on yt made a guide and it seemed like I got everything working until the end where it would just lock up or crash (actually after actually loading that title screen) it's such a bummer.

I wish it was something simple like not selecting the right settings on the workshop.

AwakenedCloud

Oct 27, 2017
I
I tried to get remako working but it crashed Everytime after the Chocobo Squaresoft logo. Someone on yt made a guide and it seemed like I got everything working until the end where it would just lock up or crash (actually after actually loading that title screen) it's such a bummer.

I wish it was something simple like not selecting the right settings on the workshop.
If you're running into the issue that I ran into, it's because you need a save in each of the save slots for whatever reason. Get the Black Chocobo save editor and make sure that there's a save in the first spot of each save slot. Hope that helps.

I know that I also ran into issues trying to get the intro menus to work fullscreen at 4K. I don't know if there's a fix for that.

Runner

Nov 1, 2017
i wouldn't mind the old blocky versions if
a) their hands weren't stupid big cubes
and b) their waists were attached so it didn't look like if they bent over suddenly they had a giant mouth in their stomach