• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
For me, I also saw Tifa and Aerith as being kind of ironic. I think it like this:

Tifa is the one with a sexy outfit and physique, but a more reserved personality.
Aerith is the one with more conservative clothes, but she has a more outgoing and flirtatious attitude.

Chocobo Blade

The Wise Ones
Oct 29, 2017
Mood whiplash - essentially, FF7 juggles a wide variety of tones throughout the game from melodrama through horror elements to all the wacky humor and I'm worried whether they can include all of it while still making the game feel cohesive. The original mostly handles it well but even it fumbles at times. The quirky comedy should compliment the more serious parts for a fuller experience but if it's poorly implemented it won't work in the game's favor and just end up feeling jarring.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
There's no point to worry about things. There are so many things that could go wrong with a project like this if you have many SPECIFIC things you NEED to see in order to not be disappointed, i just want a game that's really good shows the story very good.

That's just my personal view on things

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Combat and it actually coming out. That's essentially it.

I doubt they will handle the cross dressing scene especially well either.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ZMDTTRj.png

Zimmiwood

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
the only thing i really want to know is if the compilation stuff is in. otherwise im not setting myself up with any real expectations other than it'll be a new experience

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
For me, I also saw Tifa and Aerith as being kind of ironic. I think it like this:

Tifa is the one with a sexy outfit and physique, but a more reserved personality.
Aerith is the one with more conservative clothes, but she has a more outgoing and flirtatious attitude.
Yeah that's one of the things that made them work so well, especially since you see Aeris presented as a stereotypical innocent flower girl twice beforehand. And also the way Cloud is initially presented as a total badass but is actually kind of a huge dork and socially awkward.

Hero_Select

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really just want gameplay to remain the same. I enjoyed the Materia system a lot.. but that's not happening because the game needs to be "modern"

So at this point I just want things to remain relatively the same. Gimme a crossdressing Cloud and let me take a peek into those weird ass rooms :D

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
I'm not convinced that this is coming out. Or if it does we get part one and then it just fades away over time until there's an acceptance that it is being canceled.

Don't like the move away from turned based combat to the ff15 style. I didn't feel like I was in control in 15 and just gave up on it. Worried that it will be serialized too. That it will be the DC grimeverse of final fantasys.

Wanted just an update graphical, maybe modernize some of the systems without changing the fundamentals of the game play. But now? I don't know.

LordGorchnik

Oct 30, 2017
Ive come to the conclusion that if I worry about "changes" at all I am just not going to like the game. I have a picture perfect image of what the remake should be in my mind but I know that's not what were going to get.

If I had to list ONE complaint though it will be that due to this being an episodic format we are never going to have the ability to travel the world in the Highwind and visit all the different cities again. Unless they find some way of fitting the whole game onto the 3rd/4th/5th episode. Can you imagine not having access to the Gold Saucer at the end of the game (assuming they put it in).

Oct 27, 2017
The battle system and the game being fractured into "episodes."

I was super excited when they announced it, but then knowing they were changing the battle system to a more action based one. If its anything like FFXV then fuck that.

Episodic game? How will they be connected in terms of saved games/levelling, etc? How long will one episode take to get out the door? Current development time is already laughable. Will each episode be 60 bucks? Argh.

The battle system is the one that really bothers me though. I just dont know if Square Enix really has the chops to do this.

Shogun

Oct 27, 2017
At this point I wish they would of went the Resident Evil 2 root and gave the original game a face lift rather than a redesign. But then I haven't really been feeling much of what Square puts out these days, I've gone from a massive Final Fantasy fan who was hyped to fuck about anything they put out to just being totally down on it all.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
The battle system.

I want a modern turn based battle system -- perhaps something that combines VII's turn based gameplay and Materia with the speed and flashiness of XIII.

I am very disappointed that it's going to be an action RPG.

TheCed

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not too worried about the games themselves. But the inevitable mobile integration worries me.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
I'm hoping we get a variety of artists and musical styles to accompany this game.

One thing I really liked about FFXIV was how we would get multiple variations of the same tracks, leading to all sorts of varied remixes. I'm hoping they do the same for FFVII. I don't want just one version of the Battle Theme. I want a whole bunch.
For sure. I should have elaborated, but I didn't mean dont change the OST at all. Like nah that midi sound ain't gonna fly in 2025 lol. But remixes that are true to the originals, like how smash does it. Personally, I'd want it orchestrated.

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
Im still wary of Nomura but atleast thats a good start.
Btw, you know Nomura's credited alongside Sakaguchi for Base Story on the original and is responsible for some of the most iconic moments including the infamous death, right? (In addition to the gameplay mechanics like Limit Breaks and the storyboards for many of the summon sequences etc.)

r65lsXJ.png

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cloud, Aerith, and to a lesser extent Tifa's personalities are the big one.

I don't want 24/7 brooding Cloud, Nice Shy Aerith, or whatever they feel they would need to change for Tifa because of how warped fans and/or spinoffs made their character.

I also want the absurd stuff to stay the same. Give me my dolphin jumping!

GenTask

Nov 15, 2017
Basically just the combat. I would want there to be a gameplay toggle for ATB-style similar to how it was only realized in a new engine and the other toggle as the actiony one, but realistically I know that's not going to happen.

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
Episodic game? How will they be connected in terms of saved games/levelling, etc? How long will one episode take to get out the door? Current development time is already laughable. Will each episode be 60 bucks? Argh.
They already clarified years ago that they were looking at the FFXIII trilogy as the blueprint and each "episode" is a full-sized game. I guess with probably 2-3 years between each game, like the Tomb Raider or Mass Effect trilogies.
"This reimagined epic will be the next core Final Fantasy instalment--or rather, instalments," Game Informer's writer states. "When the project was first announced, people were confused by its multi-part nature, but the goal is to structure it more like Final Fantasy XIII than an episodic series."

Kitase adds: "It will essentially be a full scale game for each part of the multi-part series. In XIII, each instalment told the story from a different angle. It was kind of like approaching an unknown territory in a sense."

"Whereas with Final Fantasy VII Remake, we already have a preexisting story, so it wouldn't really make sense if that isn't encompassed in a multi-part series... So if we're just looking at each of these parts, one part should be on par with the scale of one Final Fantasy XIII game."

Continuing, the cover feature reiterates previous statements that Square Enix is taking some liberties with the story to modernise it.

"I, along with [Tetsuya] Nomura-san and [Kazushige] Nojima-san--who are involved with the remake--were also involved with the original Final Fantasy," Kitase said. "We were the people who created it, so in that sense, we don't think anything is untouchable. That isn't to say we're changing everything!"

Source.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Virtually all of it. Square inspires 0 confidence with their recent outputs and the small details we do have about this game dont appeal to me at all.

Chocobo115

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
The battlesystem to start with. Not overly happy with the move to an action battle system. I think tit would been possible to keep the ATB system and still update it to make it interesting.

Besides that I'm worried that the first episode will cover too little of the first game. I'd like to get far enough outside of Midgar.

Stone Cold

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not on board for episodic releases, that's BS. That's my main concern. It's not like the original game was THAT big.

Shogun

Oct 27, 2017
Er, what?

RE2 was not a simple face lift. It was a new game from the ground up. Very similar to what they'll be doing with VII.

Calling it a face lift is a bit simplistic I guess. I mean more in a stay true and close to the original games roots if anything. I know we haven't exactly seen a lot of the remake but I'm just not feeling the action based battle system and cutting the game up in to different parts. I know a lot of people feel turn based fighting systems are a little outdated but I still love them.

Calliope

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Detroit, MI
Almost all my worries are around the characters. I don't want episodes or action combat either, but I can adjust. If they botch the characters though, I probably won't care much about anything else tbh.

wtd2009

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
Trying to find a way transfer the dialogue into compelling voice acting without me going "wow this is lame/cheesy". So I guess this is more a hope that they make the right kind of changes.

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
You hit my number one thing OP: Cloud is a dork in the original game. He'd better not be portrayed as his listless Advent Children self at all in the game.

I'm also curious as to how materia will be handled in the game. Surely there will be some massive changes to that system, going from turn based to real time action.

Gavin Stevens

Team Blur Games
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Telford, Shropshire
Pretty much everything to be honest. The game looks nothing like what I would expect from a FFVII remake. Well, it's a different game, for one. RE2 just showed the world that you CAN remake a game with a different camera and have it be ok, but this whole beast is different... story elements dropped and changed, camera removed and switched, combat real time, done in episodes etc... this is before you get into the actual changes...

The thing about FFVII is it was perfect because it was released at a time when games could be bad. We didn't look twice at the field models being so chubby compared to the battle models. We didn't care that we had to wait 10 minutes for a summon. Nobody cared about the fact cloud put on a dress, or slid down a slide, or went to a theme park on a date... but these days? People care.

And that's a shame.

For me, all I wanted, was essentially the same damn game, some bugs fixed, a few new quests added, but the same game. Remake all the backgrounds, remodel the world map, make detailed battle models while keeping the classic look of the field ones...

But nah, the remake, it's just not working for me...

And I hate that, as FFVII is one of my fave ever games...

OP
OP
SOLDIER

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm entirely certain they're going to make Aerith a pure innocent girl and make Tifa more playful even though it is the opposite of who they were in the original only because the fanbase and the internet decided they were going to be like this (mostly because of their bodies)

Yeah, this is super important. Even I had forgotten until replaying the original on PS4, but Aerith can be savage.

Aerith's personality. In the game Aeris was kind of a troll and her main distinguishing traits in the group were her independence and her comparative lack of psychological/emotional issues, but in like everything else she appears in she's some kind of freaking saint with no personality.

It's weird because that was their very second appearance, and then they went right back to being comic relief for the rest of the game.

That's kind of the point though. Everyone else has a deep emotional hang-up, but Aerith has a much more confident personality, which means she tends to say things without giving much thought to how it may affect others. Take for instance when the group first arrives at the Gold Saucer and Barret's in a dark place. Aerith tries to cheer him up whereas Tifa more rightfully assumes that Barret should be given his space.

This doesn't make Aerith mean or "dumb", it actually conveys her innocence in a way that doesn't portray her as a saintly angel (something that other spinoffs have been guilty of).

There have been some debates on why Tifa dresses that way if she's the shyer one. I typically chalk it up to her coming from a more urban environment (Barret doesn't even have a shirt), though one of the design documents state that she wears a skirt out of personal preference. I guess they could revise things a slight bit to better show that she values her appearance without making her more flirty (that would be a really bad move).

Oh yes.

I worry about this constantly. Constantly.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm entirely certain they're going to make Aerith a pure innocent girl and make Tifa more playful even though it is the opposite of who they were in the original only because the fanbase and the internet decided they were going to be like this (mostly because of their bodies)

Have you read about FFX-2.5? Nojima isn't the kind of writer that cares about what the fanbase and the Internet decide.

Anaron

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well the hideous realistic style was already implemented so that's not worth talking about anymore but

- pretending that anything in the before and after FF7 compilation is canon and actively using any of it

- arpg gameplay. No thanks

- atrocious voice acting

- how they handle redoing the OST

- Fudging the character's personality, particularly my main girl Aeris.

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
I actually think they'll be fine in regards to cloud's personality. Same with Aerith, even in Crisis Core she was a lot closer to her original self than the Actual Jesus she was in AC

I am worried about Steve Burton's direction in all this, though. He's the Cloud to SE to the point that they approached him for the role rather than auditioning him. And he's very much improved over the years as Cloud imo but I'm just not sure if he can handle the sheer breadth of emotion that Cloud showed across the whole game, so I hope that, in the dubbing process, he and all the english voice actors get some real in-depth direction so they can hit home for the whole thing.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
Script. Cloud, when Aeris dies

Aeris will no longer talk, no longer laugh, cry...... or get angry......
What about us...... what are WE supposed to do?
What about my pain?
My fingers are tingling.
My mouth is dry.
My eyes are burning!

I don't want to hear this spoken. Rework this shit.

The change from Aeris to Aerith. Don't care if Aerith was the intended translation, it doesn't sound better.

The total time it'll take to release the first part of the game to the final. I don't want to wait 10 years, after the first part comes out, to finish it.

Don't put any compliation stuff in it aside from character designs for alt costumes.

Doctrine Dark

Nov 13, 2017
I hope it's explained how Lost Number was able to fit in the safe.

I really don't want them to ditch the minigames like the Fort Condor mission.

Or the side quests like the Wutai Tower.

Outside of that, I don't have many worries.

Anaron

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Btw, you know Nomura's credited alongside Sakaguchi for Base Story on the original and is responsible for some of the most iconic moments including the infamous death, right? (In addition to the gameplay mechanics like Limit Breaks and the storyboards for many of the summon sequences etc.)

r65lsXJ.png
So?

People can write and/or contribute great things, but when left to isolated duties completely miss the mark.

Nomura has always been good as a collaborator and contributor. The man is an atrocious writer and director.