• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gun

Oct 27, 2017
I don't care about the changes, I understand that this is going to be a new game.
But I just want the return of the world map and be able to travel around it with the Highwind at some point

I accept even a map like the PS1 era, with a giant Cloud running around the world

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
We've seen 5 minutes of footage and people is already saying they're gonna cut stuff from the original game. The FF7 threads are going to be fucking insufferable.
You gotta ignore it.

You should know the craziness of this community by now when it comes to jumping to conclusions.

Applebite

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe if we wait until the game is out it will be easier to make an informed decision on the game and its contents :)

Depths

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User banned (five days): Inflammatory point of comparison, previously banned for similar behaviour
Let's be real, this game is going to suck ass. Square has done nothing worthwhile since the 90's. Fans of that era still hoping for something good are basically in an abusive relationship with the company.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
Let's be real, this game is going to suck ass. Square has done nothing worthwhile since the 90's. Fans of that era still hoping for something good are basically in an abusive relationship with the company.
I admit that I have some cynical thoughts too, but what does this add to the conversation?

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
WHY THERE ARE GHOSTS NOW

Maybe it's been cleared up somewhere in the 14 pages, but there actually are ghost enemies that sort of look like the trailer ghosts in the train graveyard section of Midgar and Aerith is in your party when you play that part of the game (time stamp in video is at a ghost battle). I literally just replayed the game like a month or two ago so I was sure i remembered ghosts!

Tifa is also in your party at that point but she's obviously not in the cutscene from the trailer. I think the scene is fine if it's from the train graveyard. It's fairly nonsensical if they're doing something else and that's your intro to her in the game.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
Maybe it's been cleared up somewhere in the 14 pages, but there actually are ghost enemies in the train graveyard section of Midgar and Aeris/th is in your party when you play that part of the game.

Tifa is also in your party at that point but she's obviously not in the cutscene from the trailer. I think the scene is fine if it's from the train graveyard. It's fairly nonsensical if they're doing something else and that's your intro to her in the game.

The scene is from when Cloud and Aerith first meet after the bomb goes off and AVALANCHE has to regroup.

The ghosts also appear in the Sephiroth key art, so they're definitely related to him in some way. I hope whatever Compilation shit they're adding is reduced to the minimum and improved as much as they can. Don't want to see those three guys from AC lol.
Lol.

ThatsMyTrunks

Mokuzai Studio
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
San Antonio, TX
The weird swirling black stuff at the end has me excited to see what they're doing. I'd be happy with a 1:1 remake, but I'm also totally down for some original twists.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Square has done nothing worthwhile since the 90's.

giphy.gif

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Maybe it's been cleared up somewhere in the 14 pages, but there actually are ghost enemies that sort of look like the trailer ghosts in the train graveyard section of Midgar and Aerith is in your party when you play that part of the game (time stamp in video is at a ghost battle). I literally just replayed the game like a month or two ago so I was sure i remembered ghosts!

If you look in the key image for sephiroth, you can see the "ghosts" in the first. They mean something, they're not just regular enemies.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
What good game have they released since FFXII? I'm not even a huge fan of that game but it was a quality product.

FF3 and 4 Remakes, Crisis Core, Kingdom Hearts 3, The Last Remnant, Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep, Dragon Quest IX, Dragon Quest XI, Dissidia Final Fantasy, Dissidia 012, Nier and its sequel, Final Fantasy XIV: ARR and its expansions, Bravely Default and Second, Octopath Traveler, DQ Builders, World of Final Fantasy. FFXV.

I can also add the western Square games if you want.

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
RE Ghosts: In the original plan for the original game, the Sephiroth Clone Reunion dudes in black cloaks were actually ghost-like figures not dissimilar to what we see here, and rather than being failed clones/people who've been experimented on, they were actually pieces of Jenova's body under the cloak. Imagine a body part - the right arm, the heart, the eyes - floating under a cloak. And the fact that's what it was would be a reveal. And in the script at that point, these things interfered more directly, and actually replaced the Sephiroth that stomps around for much of disc 1 entirely.

They cut this, but it sure seems like they're merging what happened in the original game with this cut concept.

There's also the three 'Sephiroth remnants' or whatever they were called from Advent Children. AC retconned the original game to say these guys were floating around without corporeal form even during FF7, but gained physical form once Sephiroth was killed. Given there appear to be three ghosts, this could also be a representation of them.

Whatever the case, it;s very clear now this is gonna be a very different version of the story.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
RE Ghosts: In the original plan for the original game, the Sephiroth Clone Reunion dudes in black cloaks were actually ghost-like figures not dissimilar to what we see here, and rather than being failed clones/people who've been experimented on, they were actually pieces of Jenova's body under the cloak. Imagine a body part - the right arm, the heart, the eyes - floating under a cloak. And the fact that's what it was would be a reveal. And in the script at that point, these things interfered more directly, and actually replaced the Sephiroth that stomps around for much of disc 1 entirely.

They cut this, but it sure seems like they're merging what happened in the original game with this cut concept.

There's also the three 'Sephiroth remnants' or whatever they were called from Advent Children. AC retconned the original game to say these guys were floating around without corporeal form even during FF7, but gained physical form once Sephiroth was killed. Given there appear to be three ghosts, this could also be a representation of them.

Whatever the case, it;s very clear now this is gonna be a very different version of the story.
Can't wait to see Cobalt XIV and Indigo XV.

Give Nanaki some love, Nomura.

Depths

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FF3 and 4 Remakes, Crisis Core, Kingdom Hearts 3, The Last Remnant, Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep, Dragon Quest IX, Dragon Quest XI, Dissidia Final Fantasy, Dissidia 012, Nier and its sequel, Final Fantasy XIV: ARR and its expansions, Bravely Default and Second, Octopath Traveler, DQ Builders, World of Final Fantasy. FFXV.

Was mostly referring to FF IP. Also most of those games are terrible outside of DQ and Nier. KH3? Jesus Christ.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017

That cut concept is kind of cool, though in terms of the story it kind of leaves a hole for much of Cloud's motivation to even be doing what he's doing since his big motivation was to catch Sephiroth. Wonder how that would have worked if it wasn't Sephiroth he was chasing?

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England

Want to add to this to also say that actually my greatest worry with the black clouds and the "this couldn't have been us..." "but what if it was...?" lines from AVALANCHE is that what they might be doing is making Sephiroth/Jenova interfere at the same time as AVALANCHE, with those black clouds working to do more damage. One thing I like about the original is that AVALANCHE is fairly unflinching and they don't really question the innocents they're killing until the very last moment, so you've got things like Jessie saying she's proud of her bomb two screens away from somebody who says hundreds of innocents were slaughtered, but at least they died quick. It was good, and morally ambiguous, but I always knew they'd want to soften it for this - and if Sephiroth/Jenova is more corporeal from the word go, I can see that being used as a mechanism for that... which I wouldn't be too fond of (on paper, at least).

That cut concept is kind of cool, though in terms of the story it kind of leaves a hole for much of Cloud's motivation to even be doing what he's doing since his big motivation was to catch Sephiroth. Wonder how that would have worked if it wasn't Sephiroth he was chasing?

FF7's story is a tad confusing in this sense anyway. The Sephiroth you chase throughout the real game is Jenova, or pieces of Jenova's body, taking the form of Sephiroth. There's a bit of confusion as to if Jenova is using Sephiroth's form or Sephiroth is using Jenova's body, and the original isn't hugely clear (and the translation even less so), but yeah. The funny thing about FF7 is you're not really chasing Sephiroth anyway, just something that looks like him, cos the real body was tossed into the lifestream and that was that.

This is an element of the story I imagine they'll change a lot if only to tidy it up, but also because Sephiroth himself is way more iconic now and they might want to make it all more plainly about him.

Space Lion

Banned
May 24, 2019
This teaser seems to have majorly back fired, a blimp in the marketing road.This should have remained exclusive to the orchestra (or whatever that event ended up being) and the public should have only seen it again in their own show where they could show a fuller length trailer. I am taking very little from this teaser apart from that the fact I'm a little surprised they announced an actual date and not a window. Plus, I'm not that concerned about the specters appearing, it could be any of things.
Edit: Although looking outside of largely tbe enthusiast sites it seems to have gone over pretty well generally with the public, and it does raise curiosity at what they'll show later I guess.

What makes you say that? Most think it looks great and are hyped.

LordGorchnik

Oct 30, 2017
Literally 11 hours to go.

My hype is through the roof. If Tifa isn't shown tonight I cannot be held responsible for my behavior.

The Emperor

Oct 25, 2017

I'll add ffxiii trilogy because you know I love two of em

Anyway se has been amazing for me last 10 years. You think they suck? Sad for you, stop shotposting in SE game threads

ultima786

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
In the OG game it was said Aerith can see spirits. She told her foster mother that her father had died before she ever found out. This is probably an extension of that. Note: Cloud didn't see anything until she grabbed his hand and he could then see what she saw. She's seeing some sort of spirit disturbance caused by either the lifestream or Jenova
Important. It looks like Nomura is.... doing exactly what he said he'd do! Fleshing things out! Lol

Space Lion

Banned
May 24, 2019
People are weird. I'm the biggest FF7 fanboy and I'm perfectly fine with them making changes. The original will always exist.

Maybe you're fine with them making changes because you're a fanboy? Star Wars fanboys to this day still defend Lucas, the prequels, and all the cuts and additions added to the original trilogy.

Space Lion

Banned
May 24, 2019
I can't blame them for that - nobody was drawn to or remembers FFVII for the hamfisted pseudoenvironmentalism - it was always just window dressing.

It kind of feels like setting yourself up for disappointment expecting them to pivot to giving it significant focus all the way through instead of affording more attention to fan favourite characters like Sephiroth - especially with a multipart release, people would be pretty disappointed if we left Midgar without him fighting Cloud once and getting some significant scenes.

Are you saying that the characters being bad people that bomb innocents is window dressing?

Synless

Oct 30, 2017

How is this possible when she clearly gives him a flower and drops the ones she was holding? That happens much earlier.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
Are you saying that the characters being bad people that bomb innocents is window dressing?
I actually expect them to dial back on this, especially with the whole "We didn't do that" part of the trailer.

I don't see making the main characters eco-terrorists who pretty callously kill innocents playing well in today's climate.

Space Lion

Banned
May 24, 2019
Why are people freaking out about the ghost? It's a remake. They're obviously going to change things up similar to Lisa Trevor in REMake.

People also forgot how shitty the FFVII localization and the story was. Lots to improve.

Because the appeal of the entire Midgard section is how grounded it is? And we don't get a real peek at Sephiroth until you wake up in prison and see a blood trail and the president dead? And now they're shoving Sephiroth right into the grounded beginning which changes Aerith's introduction and makes her look like a damsel?

I actually expect them to dial back on this, especially with the whole "We didn't do that" part of the trailer.

I don't see making the main characters eco-terrorists who pretty callously kill innocents playing well in today's climate.

Maybe don't remake the game then.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Because the appeal of the entire Midgard section is how grounded it is? And we don't get a real peek at Sephiroth until you wake up in prison and see a blood trail and the president dead? And now they're shoving Sephiroth right into the grounded beginning which changes Aerith's introduction and makes her look like a damsel?

But we don't anything about the ghost at all.

Again, you'll always have your FFVII original. Which is on almost every platform by now.

Maybe you're fine with them making changes because you're a fanboy? Star Wars fanboys to this day still defend Lucas, the prequels, and all the cuts and additions added to the original trilogy.

Apples to oranges.

This is a remake. The special editions were not remakes.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017

Again, making a metric fuckton of assumptions here.

Space Lion

Banned
May 24, 2019
But we don't anything about the ghost at all.

Again, you'll always have your FFVII original. Which is on almost every platform by now.

Apples to oranges.

This is a remake. The special editions were not remakes.

Ah yes, the original with the brain dead easy difficulty and the literally incomprehensible story fueled by a terrible translation.