• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I hope they recreate some of these for the disc swap images since it's going to be multiple discs.

x4aCo6D.jpg

Shift Breaker

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how much they'll repurpose. Surely the Kalm flashback won't take place in Kalm anymore, if Sephiroth is going to be showing his face (sorta) in Midgar.

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
It seems like the Sephiroth thing is just a hallucination and not signaling an actual fight against him in Midgar.

Oct 27, 2017
Murfreesboro, TN
Immediately threw down for a pre-order of the deluxe edition. Inject that shit directly into my veins, Square. They had me at the gameplay presentation; the footage of the first boss fight was rad, and I can't wait get my hands on it. Definitely should release that E3 demo soon so people at home can get a hands on representation of how everything flows.

I don't mind all the new story points being added, that's fine. Looks like they really are going to expand everything; a lot of stuff before the second reactor and the sewers are a proper dungeon. It still feels as if it's a bad idea to just make it Midgar, though. Even expanded, I dont want to stick around there past ten hours, which feels like the right length if you take into account new stuff and the voice acting. My biggest fear is that it won't be long enough.

I'm sure as hell not disappointed right now. I was ten when I played the original and it blew my mind back in the day. The jump from stuff like VI and Chrono Trigger to VII blew my mind, and I'm so fucking excited to get my hands on this game.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't really all that excited for this game, but the fighting and battle system looks really cool. The footage today actually got me pretty hyped to try this one out.

The one concerning thing is that the Scorpion Tank battle looks like it takes 20 minutes, and seems massively over-produced. If they're putting this much time and effort into the first boss fight of the game, it will take them forever and a day to actually generate the entirity of FF7. Also, I don't really want boss fights that take that long.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Now that Sephiroth is no longer a powerful signifier of the outside world, there's no reason not to have a big old Sephiroth fight at the climax. No doubt the characters will see him laying waste to tower staff first hand.

This seems like such a terrible way to do it, though. That Sephiroth wasn't even him, it was just a Jenova clone. Keep Seph relegated to flashbacks only for as long as possible, having him show up constantly is just going to devalue the conflict against the actual villains of that arc.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Speaking about clones, I'm curious how they'll handle the reunion guys

signal

Oct 28, 2017
And that's when it turns out to not be the real Sephiroth, but some weaker offshoot of him, and when he dies he's like "ha ha ha, cloud, you're such a puppet"
Wouldn't make much sense plot wise unless they decide to turn the Jenova fights into multiple Sephiroth fights instead.

Not that that is an inherently bad idea. If it's simply Jenova looking like Sephiroth then why not I guess.

msia2k75

Nov 1, 2017
Probably the most impressive thing S-E has made since the start of the HD era (2006) like they call it...

Femto0

Banned
Apr 28, 2018
My waifu Tifa looks splendid and the combat system looks solid i'm day 1 and haters gonna hate no surprise

May 26, 2018
Wouldn't make much sense plot wise unless they decide to turn the Jenova fights into multiple Sephiroth fights instead.

Not that that is an inherently bad idea. If it's simply Jenova looking like Sephiroth then why not I guess.

To be honest I'm not trying to make anything sensible here.

But sure, why not. If it means not hearing them turn every single instrument in the J-E-N-O-V-A theme orchestral, I'm down.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
I thought Part 1 being Midgar or at least 90% Midgar was something pretty much everyone was resigned to from when they announced the splitting up o the games. Guess I was wrong.
Not really, it was mostly just people who actually thought we'd be getting, like, 5-8 hour "episodes" and the people who were as crazy as Nomura & Co to think expanding Midgar into a full game is something that could realistically happen who thought the first part would be just Midgar, but a lot of people, me included, thought this was going to be a more 1:1 remake (as far as the general blueprint goes) and as such going from the 4-7 hour intro into a full game of its own sounded like it was just too much. The modernized gameplay/structure/other aspects would pad out the length of the game some + maybe some minor added content like giving a few minutes of more screentime for every Avalanche member, but they are going to have to expand Midgar like crazy to make it work as a standalone game on the level of a typical mainline FF game.

It does share "bosses have way too much HP and take forever to die" with XV, but beyond that, yeah, they seem fairly different.
Lol, how did the boss have too much HP? The whole battle took about 4 minutes (with cutscenes). It was divided into a few different phases and each phase took about 30-45 seconds of battling (+ 10-15 seconds of cutscenes as the battle transitioned into the next phases). Seems like perfectly passable boss length/HP amount, especially considering experienced players can probably do it quicker.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
People would be outraged but I hope its just a 12 hour game or something. Stretching out such a small part to like a 50hr game already has me groaning from its tedium

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking about clones, I'm curious how they'll handle the reunion guys
I hope they're really fucking creepy. I was creeped out when I first played it with those blocky-ass models, they should be terrifying in 2020.

So i heard that the first episode will cover midgar only. So will it be only around 6 hours? Or are they doing something to extend the story?
Seems like they are adding content to Midgar.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
Back in 97 it took 13 year old me 10 hours to get through Midgar on first playthrough no guides so I'm cool with something of that length. I remember back then assuming it was the end of the first disc.

doodlebob

Mar 11, 2018
Shortcuts using the ATB gauge is such an elegant solution that works for Tactical/Wait Mode and Active mode that it's kind of insane. It really doesn't compromise gameplay.

This is what FFXV struggled with to try to please everyone.

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a 4K or better stream than the shitty 1080p ones on YouTube that are full of artifacting?

Can't believe a game that looks this good and square Enix can't even put out better quality videos.

Also who is composing the music?

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
Damn,2 dics for part 1? That's nuts.
I liked that they explained how the combat works instead of fans having to analyze every sec of the footage.
So,the stagger mechanic from 13 is back.Cool.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
I wasn't really all that excited for this game, but the fighting and battle system looks really cool. The footage today actually got me pretty hyped to try this one out.

The one concerning thing is that the Scorpion Tank battle looks like it takes 20 minutes, and seems massively over-produced. If they're putting this much time and effort into the first boss fight of the game, it will take them forever and a day to actually generate the entirity of FF7. Also, I don't really want boss fights that take that long.
The scorpion tank battle is shown in full and takes about 4 minutes (with a few short cutscenes/phase transitions thrown in). Doesn't seem all that lengthy.
So i heard that the first episode will cover midgar only. So will it be only around 6 hours? Or are they doing something to extend the story?
No, of course not. They've said that each part will be like a full JRPG when it comes to the volume of content.

Kraq

Oct 25, 2017
Looks amazing. Tifa looks great, combat looks better than anything Final Fantasy has had in years. I still want to see more of the ATB system but this more action-focused approach works for me too.

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Is there a summary somewhere that explains how the battle system works? Can't watch videos at work.

NateDog

Jan 8, 2018
The negativity from some people is amazing. I'm so hyped, honestly. Sure there are questions over what happens after this first episode but we already know this isn't a like-for-like remake, and this trailer was great.

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
I actually completely understand the concern with scorpion battle. It's not so much how long that particular battle took, since most of the damage was done with setpiece stuff.
It's about how much damage you do per hit. A non-cinematic battle with this scenario can drag on, it also makes hard to judge damage.

Like I liked that cross slash finish. good luck replicating it when it does less than a pixel of actual visible damage on screen and you will have to sort of hope you don't either kill boss ahead of time, or do it too early and boss won't die to it.

Shantae

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Feb 15, 2019
The fact that this is ONLY Midgar for the first part is really concerning. When you consider what actually happens in the original game for Midgar, it's rather short, and not much happens. It's like a long prologue more than anything. Even if they stretch it out, it makes what the rest of the game might be put into an even bigger question mark. What structure will the other games even be? This is a re-imagining more than a remake if they're cutting the game up like this, because I still foresee the strong probability that this series of games will not come close to the scale in terms of content that the original had.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
These "Midgar-only complaints" seem off the mark. Whatever they're doing with Midgar here, it's clearly going to be dramatically expanded from the original game. Everything looks incredible so far. I'm especially impressed that they found a compelling way to blend real-time action and turn-based combat.

NateDog

Jan 8, 2018
Actually I forgot to ask, I didn't watch the conference but what exactly was said about the 2 discs? Engadget says that it's 2 discs with 1 disc entirely consisting of Midgar. Does that mean the other disc contains another part of the world or am I reading it wrong?