• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Yarbskoo

Oct 27, 2017
Once this entire Remake is concluded, it will consist of 10 discs!
The prophecies were true!
7enD3vxj_o.jpg

Almagest

Oct 28, 2017
Spain
Seriously this entire reveal has been one giant rollercoaster. I've gone from excited to worried back to excited and now I'm extremely worried.

Why couldn't they just delay the game another year and make it a proper "part 1"? 2 full BR discs of just Midgar makes it sound like this game is either going to be 10 discs long and will take 10 years to release or the pacing will be completely fucked and either we're going to fly through the rest of the game in part 2 of they're just going to outright skip most of it.

My god what the fuck
It's going to be several parts and many years. No other way around it now.

Probably will expand all over the duration of the next generation.

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Exactly. That would be the perfect cutoff point. Introduce the larger threat, give players a taste of the whole world, tease them with what to expect next time, and end at a moment that feels like a natural break in the story instead of stopping at the fucking title drop.

Exactly and the perfect cut off for the second disc would be right after they are split in the North Crater. The last disc can be the ending plus all the Weapons. This is going on the notion that its only three releases.

I bet you anything they will move up a Jenova fight to the end of Midgar.

That is something I fear since I don't mind the padding but if they start changing major key points I don't know. There is so much to do and see after Midgar from gold saucer and all the side quests. If they're going for a three disc release they should do more than Midgar otherwise they're not doing the story justice.

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This isnt a reboot, its a remake. If they butcher the

If they butcher the what? Yes it is a remake, not a remaster. If you're not expecting big changes you a) havent been paying any attention to any news about the game until just now and b) are in for disappointment. The latter is of course perfectly reasonable. But taking it as licence to decry something based not on evidence but only on your own hurt is not something you should expect anyone to take seriously.

Can anyone confirm there will be 2 discs just for the 1st part? I was under the impression that 2 discs would be the whole game.

If this is true... this game gonna be huuge!!

Its confirmed on the press release (which seems to be getting hammered) and on the store page.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Midgar is two discs? I thought that shit was just some wack translation error.

I'm in awe of how mystifying the game's structure is. They have, like, 70% of the game left. This is George RR Martin-esque.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
Transcript of part about the two-disc thing, in case no one has yet:

"Remaking Final Fantasy VII has allowed us to dive much deeper into the world and its characters than ever before. The game design was optimized for this title as well, and we anticipate two Blu-Ray discs worth of gameplay content. The first game in this project expands on the story of Midgar, and is such an elaborate retelling that it has become a solid standalone game in its own right."

See this is vague. The story of Midgar could be set entirely within the walls of Midgar. Or it could be the narrative arc of Midgar and Avalanche.

It just seems crazy for Midgar to be 50+ hours of content. If Part 1 was only one game I wouldn't be so skeptical, but two discs makes me think it's more than just Midgar.

Lnds500

Oct 27, 2017
Interviews can't come soon enough. We need clarification on what exactly is included on the 1st Part.

crimsonlink

Oct 29, 2017
YESSSSSSSSSSSS I got my Tifa appearance and even a team fight with Tifa and Cloud. My waiting has paid off and I can finish FFVII in HD. I'm sure I'll finish the original game eventually. But it will be nice to see most things in HD. Minus the changes and everything.

To the doubters you have your doubts but I'm gonna get all of this.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
It's going to be many parts and many years. No other way around it now.
There are definitely better ways around it, but due to the way SE operates, the only way to do FF is to blow things out as much as possible and then take years or decades to actually complete a game. It started with XIII and that continues to be the trend. It took them close to 5 years to make XIII, 10 to make VersusXIII, and we are closing in on 4 years with FF7R. SE needs to desperately look at restructuring and rethinking how they handle the FF franchise because it looks it takes them years to just figure out how to put together the basics of a game. Literal years.

It takes time to develop games, but this is ridiculous on a completely different scale.

Yarbskoo

Oct 27, 2017
So what are they gonna call the next part? Final Fantasy VII Remake-2? Final Fantasy VII-2 Remake? Final Fantasy VII and two fifths?

Amauri14

Oct 27, 2017
Danbury, CT, USA
You know when they said 2 Blu-Rays I was sure that they were talking the whole game. The fact that that is just Midgar, in other words just part one is absolutely unbelievable to me.

Oct 27, 2017
Still playing this for the first time but it seems a chunk of the open world could definitely be cut, no need to go to the Chocobo Farm and grind battles to cross the lake to Crystal Caves in a remake. Honestly I don't know if I even expect a world map, I could see it being fairly linear.

GarudaSmiles

Dec 14, 2018
The gameplay looks better than I imagined it would. I love the time slow skill selection. It's a great way to inject some turn based style strategy into an action game.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
I'm excited for every part of this.

The multiple games. The combat. The characters. Everything.

I'm 100% in.

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Up next, Costa del Sol fleshed out into its own part!

Buying that Villa always was pointless without a backstory and quests.

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
It might be just Midgar, but two things:

1) Why two discs for one large city?

In the actual lore, Midgar isn't really 'one city' in the traditional sense - it's eight unique cities that are all linked, with each section of the plate its own sort of ecosystem. Like, getting the train from sector to sector is the equivalent of getting the train to the next city over. Hell, there's eight different above the plate sections and eight different slums, too. The lore was always clear on this right from the start with ultimanias and stuff, but the original game doesn't touch on it much. If they're going to expand Midgar to be a 30+ hour experience, there's plenty of room to grow into.