• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
Well, they certainly went out on the stunt casting, what the hell.

Tyler Hoechlin as Sephiroth.

...I mean, it's not quite as bad as Lance Bass... but... jesus christ.

source.gif

Deleted member 5148

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
how many disc was the original and when did each disc end?

In the original , Is midgar all the way to where you ride a bike to the end of a bridge and than the game goes open world?

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This will be a full priced release right? And the reason it's being split up is that it's so big it literally needs to be split up into separate releases right?

If that's the case then part 1 needs to be at least 40 to 50 hours of main content with additional hours for side content. I'm not accepting anything less when the Witcher 3 exists and was all one release. If part 1 is like 20 hours long and I'm expected to pay full price for it I'll be pissed. Their reasoning will just not hold up in the slightest. This will also be almost 5 years after the original reveal so I'm not accepting the reasoning of splitting it up allowed them to get it out faster because it was still ridiculously slow.

Still what I saw looked incredible so I just hope we truly do a get a massive game that needs to be split up into separate releases.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
We're already seeing a number of scenes that weren't in the original game. I don't know why we're still talking about Midgar as only being a few hours long when they're definitely expanding it to be its own arc as a whole.

This is gonna be a game about Avalanche vs Shinra, with some hints and scenes that point toward the greater plot. My guess is that Biggs, Wedge, and Jessie are getting upgraded to major character status (but probably not playable).

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
Be aware that the CE doesn't come in a special packaging though. They're doing the same deal as with Kingdom Hearts. You get the regular Deluxe Edition and the toy in a separate packaging rather unceremoniously. For the super premium price Square is asking that's a bit lackluster and disappointing in my opinion.

Mar 18, 2019
The combat system looks good. I was worried they'd drop ATB and go all hack & slash, but it looks like they've got both real-time action and ATB options. Which is somewhat similar to Secret of Mana, in a way.

And finally, Tifa is revealed! I quite like her character design in this. Her remake design generally looks quite faithful to the original design, while at the same time dialling back some of the more problematic aspects of her original design.

The only issue is Barett. His voice still sounds over-the-top and stereotypical. Maybe they could dial it back a bit. He can still sound tough without sounding like Robert Downey Jr from Tropic Thunder.

All in all, it looks promising, so far.

Last edited:

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
I think you're setting yourself up for disappointment. I'm not sure what to expect out of this game, but definitely not that. I bet it's going to be the equivalent of a linear AAA action adventure game. I don't trust what Squee said, I seriously doubt this game will be a 50-hour JRPG experience. Hell, the whole of FF7 is about that long. I have a hard time believing they were able to pad out Midgar by that much.

Truth is just the battle system alone will help pad out the time for this game.
The semi boss battle they show look it could last 15 to 20 mins and in the PS1 version that battle was short .

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
press release:

FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE is a reimagining of the iconic original game that re-defined the RPG genre, diving deeper into the world and its characters than ever before. The first game in this project will be set in the eclectic city of Midgar and presents a fully standalone gaming experience that provides a great starting point to the series.

"Great starting point to the series".

Well it is the start of the fucking game 😂

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
We're already seeing a number of scenes that weren't in the original game. I don't know why we're still talking about Midgar as only being a few hours long when they're definitely expanding it to be its own arc as a whole.

This is gonna be a game about Avalanche vs Shinra, with some hints and scenes that point toward the greater plot. My guess is that Biggs, Wedge, and Jessie are getting upgraded to major character status (but probably not playable).

It really stings that we won't see Cid, Cait Sith or Vincent for at least five more years.

Yuffie can stay gone, fuck Yuffie.

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
I feel like there have been a lot of assumptions ever since the game was announced and people have been largely unwilling to reconsider their initial beliefs. Part 1 could absolutely be only Midgar, but it could be that Disc 1 is Midgar and Disc 2 is outside of Midgar. I think that's an entirely reasonable possibility, and yet people are just assuming that Part 1 is only Midgar and that despite two discs it will be super linear while also assuming the rest of the parts will be reduced remakes of the original content.

I don't have much in terms of what I expect the remake to be, but I don't know why people are automatically assuming the worst in all possible ways.

#teammorethanmidgar

This is what the press release from Square Enix says:

FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE is a reimagining of the iconic original game that re-defined the RPG genre, diving deeper into the world and its characters than ever before. The first game in this project will be set in the eclectic city of Midgar and presents a fully standalone gaming experience that provides a great starting point to the series.

And we know from pre-order information that this first game, out in March, consists of two discs. It's cut and dry. It's just Midgar.

If you add the disc 2 ending, sure, it might be 33%. Otherwise, no. It takes more time to go from Midgar to Gold Saucer than Midgar itself.

If you take the raw text files of the script start to finish, from the opening to the final scene at the edge of Midgar is very, very close to a third. A tiny bit less. Obviously you can get out of Midgar in 10 hours and spend a lot more time exploring elsewhere as the game opens up, but in terms of script & story pacing, it's about a third.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
Now this demonstration actually convinced me much more than whatever we got last month. (which had everyone go crazy about)
Also Tifa look superb!

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
I have a feeling people are gonna be surprised by how much is in the game. People hear it's just Midgar and think of what they know of Midgar from the original.

It's obviously going to be super different from the original game.

IllumiNate

Nov 18, 2018
Canada
Man Barret doesn't sound black at all and that straight hair is like what da fk? Other then that this game looks sooooo good! I'm just upset they still only showed us the first hour of the game.

Caiops

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is so amazing, oh my god.

So is the first part in two discs or is it just two games?

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No. You're paying $329 for part of a game. That's absolutely ridiculous.

No. You're largely paying it for the figure. But also, you are paying it for an explicitly stand-alone part of a larger story. Just you do with any game that has a sequel, or any film, or any book, or anything else thats part of a larger story.

Exellus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This is what the press release from Square Enix says:

And we know from pre-order information that this first game, out in March, consists of two discs. It's cut and dry. It's just Midgar.

60 hours of Midgar sound cool to me. :)

Seriously, it's like 8 towns right? There's a lot of creative liberty they can take here.

Deleted member 47076

Banned
Aug 25, 2018
Let's be real... FF VII was 'in development' five years ago, but didn't the development go terribly until just a couple years ago?

I doubt it will take another five years for the next part to be finished (assuming all things go more smoothly from here on out). Maybe part 2 could be done by 2023 since a lot of the heavy lifting is done, and then a final 3rd part another few years after that.

Really don't think it's gonna take as ridiculously long as people assume.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
With the gameplay built out and a lot of the design work done, I don't expect it to be that long. The XIII trilogy games were two years apart each.

We'll see. The fact that we don't even get to see the overworld in the first game makes me feel like they panicked after having trouble figuring out what to do and just decided to cut the project so they could waste even more time experimenting.

Unless they do some massive reworking of the plot, I doubt Red XIII will be a playable character in this one, either.

Red was at least a party member in the escape from ShinRa tower, but yeah, if the game's just gonna END after that there really won't be any time to reasonably introduce him as a playable character or party member. God, this is such a bummer.

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That gameplay demo was the best thing I've seen from square enix in like 20 years, of course it takes final fantasy 7 for them to remember how to make games. Can't wait, break it into 8 parts, I don't even care.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I am baffled at people complaining about getting a chance to fully explore Midgar. Like, when I first played this game I was bummed I couldn't check out the other sectors. The gameplay looks fucking solid and if there is a whole game behind it of even just Midgar I am in fucking heaven. Some of yall need to relax lol
I'm not exactly keen on getting to know the city I'm trying to destroy and the civilians I'm trying to kill.

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm calling it like I see it. Looks like shit, smells like shit. They're just gonna rip people off 3 times.

Ha, holy shit, I mean this is so wildly disingenuous that its trolling. But what the hell, if the game provides similar gameplay value to other similarly priced JRPGS how on earth is it "ripping people off"?