• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
I just don't see how they could have stretched and padded out Midgar to be 2 entire Blu-rays worth of content?!?

If this is what we are going to have to expect from each episodic release, then my initial prediction of it being 3 releases featuring 2 discs each is small by comparison to what Square Enix will probably end up doing...

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
Combat looked really awesome. Can't wait to play. If they made a "full game" out of the Midgar portion and keep production up for a second and 3rd part I'm up for it as long as they release them every few years and the quality bar is this high. Looked amazing.

decoyplatypus

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
I thought something like this might happen when it became clear that SE was interested in building out Midgar and not simply recreating the original "screens" as corridors in a super-linear, Uncharted-like manner. Still pretty strange to contemplate.

Spaltazar

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
we will probably be looking at about 10 years for them to finish this shit. i dunno man, lets just hope their dev pipeline is now set up in a way that allows them to crank this out quickly. some part of me likes this excessiveness tho. i hope they go all out if they make this an epic that spans a decade of development time

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
I just don't see how they could have stretched and padded out Midgar to be 2 entire Blu-rays worth of content?!?

If this is what we are going to have to expect from each episodic release, then my initial prediction of it being 3 releases featuring 2 discs each is small by comparison to what Square Enix will probably end up doing...
I don't think we should expect the rest of the game to be expanded like Midgar will be.

The thing about Midgar is that it's really its own small story arc. It has a beginning, a middle, an end, an atagonist of it's own in Shinra, compared to the rest of the game focusing more on Sephiroth.

Expanding it into it's own game makes sense in that regard, but it definitely gonna be a different experience than the OG game.

JustinBailey

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I HORSED MYSELF OVER THIS TRAILER.

AND THEN I WANTED TO WATCH MURDER SHE WROTE TO MURDER ME UNTIL THE GAME COMES OUT.

Vegeta

Nov 10, 2017
everybody right now with the parts
U9PPQn9.jpg

Almagest

Oct 28, 2017
Spain
If this first chapter is only Midgar, there have to be more than three parts. Just think about it, Kalm, The Chocobo Ranch, The Mythril Mine, Fort Condor, Corel, Golden Saucer, Cosmo Canyon, Wutai, Rocket Town, Nibelheim (past and present), Junon... and a long, etc. Midgar only scratches the surface of this game.

This is very bold of Square-Enix and it seems to me they're aiming for a cross-generational Magnum Opus. I'm very pleased and so much in for the ride.

StayHandsome

Nov 30, 2017

You're overreacting just a bit here, dude. We've only been given a little information to go off of. There will surely be more info to come about how it has been expanded.

Ozymandias

Jun 9, 2018
Two discs for Midgar uh? Avalanche are terrorists being actively hunted down by Shinra, but let's spend 100 hours running around freely. Why would the game even occupy 2 discs? Isn't it only RDR2, which has a sprawling world, that has 2 discs this generation? Its absolute nonsense. The gameplay looks great, was really excited for it but then the whole Sephiroth apparition and 2 discs for what corresponds to 6 hours of the original game just floored my enthusiasm. I don't care about padding the character interactions and side quests and locations to the absurd. I care about the story, and Midgar is like 10% of the story. In the end, only I am to blame to have mild expectations and even so being incredibly dissapointed.

unrealist

Oct 27, 2017
If this first chapter is only Midgar, there have to be more than three parts. Just think about it, Kalm, The Chocobo Ranch, The Mythril Mine, Fort Condor, Corel Golden Saucer, Cosmo Canyon, Wutai, Rocket Town, Nibelheim, Junon... and a long, etc. Midgar only scratches the surface of this game.

This is very bold of Square-Enix and it seems to me they're aiming for a cross-generational Magnum Opus. I'm very pleased and so much in for the ride.

This is like the Star Wars old + new trilogy in gaming terms, we have to wait for decades to reach the conclusion..

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
If this first chapter is only Midgar, there have to be more than three parts. Just think about it, Kalm, The Chocobo Ranch, The Mythril Mine, Fort Condor, Corel Golden Saucer, Cosmo Canyon, Wutai, Rocket Town, Nibelheim, Junon... and a long, etc. Midgar only scratches the surface of this game.

This is very bold of Square-Enix and it seems to me they're aiming for a cross-generational Magnum Opus. I'm very pleased and so in.
Are any other areas of the game as dense as Midgar as far as like models, and geometry?

datbapple

Banned
Nov 19, 2017
I am baffled at people complaining about getting a chance to fully explore Midgar. Like, when I first played this game I was bummed I couldn't check out the other sectors. The gameplay looks fucking solid and if there is a whole game behind it of even just Midgar I am in fucking heaven. Some of yall need to relax lol

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
If this first chapter is only Midgar, there have to be more than three parts. Just think about it, Kalm, The Chocobo Ranch, The Mythril Mine, Fort Condor, Corel, Golden Saucer, Cosmo Canyon, Wutai, Rocket Town, Nibelheim (past and present), Junon... and a long, etc. Midgar only scratches the surface of this game.

In script terms, Midgar is more or less exactly 33% of FF7. In terms of areas/screens, it's less than that, but once you leave Midgar FF7 just burns through areas like crazy. Anyway, point is - if you assume the game is padded out/added to evenly, three parts sounds about right.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Please don't tell me this has the same clumsy combast ssytem of FFXV instead of a decent hack'n slash combat system like GOW or DMC?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I am baffled at people complaining about getting a chance to fully explore Midgar. Like, when I first played this game I was bummed I couldn't check out the other sectors. The gameplay looks fucking solid and if there is a whole game behind it of even just Midgar I am in fucking heaven. Some of yall need to relax lol

Nothing in the footage they've shown tonight makes it look like Midgar is fully explorable. Looks like a bunch of linear setpieces linked by cutscenes.

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
You're overreacting just a bit here, dude. We've only been given a little information to go off of. There will surely be more info to come about how it has been expanded.
Am I?

Let's wait and see what they say about how many episodic releases it will be and how many discs each release will have.

This is Square-Enix we're talking about here - they haven't been timely or reliable about anything ever, except cashing their checks paid for by us ;)

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
the combat looks amazing, I'm hoping it scales up fine as you progress. just makes you wonder how the fuck they shipped FF15 in that state, it was abysmal.

Brock2621

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
This game looks IMPECCABL. I cannot believe how well they nailed this. I'm fine to wait, it's so so good.

Almagest

Oct 28, 2017
Spain
Are any other areas of the game as dense as Midgar as far as like models, and geometry?
Midgar is the most expansive location of the game, but unlike other big games that reuse assets, each of Final Fantasy VII's locations are completely unique so the sheer amount of high-quality assets produced for this should be insane even if no other single place is as complex.

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
I fear part 2 is going to be squished to hell and skip a lot of content. Midgar was not even a third of the game.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So this is going to be 50 part remake of part 1 is Midgar only?