• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
The original main game is only 15 hours long?

You can totally mainline FF7 in under 20 hours, but what the post you're replying to post is saying is correct in the sense that there are 3 discs and all that, but Midgar is roughly one third of the game script on paper. So in terms of story events, Midgar is around a third. The problem, especially for a remake like this, is that the middle act of the game (in story terms) burns through assets/areas at about 3x the rate of Midgar even though in story terms less happens in each area than any one given area of Midgar.

The challenge on subsequent games is that there's a lot more areas and places, all unique, all with unique enemies etc, and whereas in story terms Midgar lingers a bit in almost every area, the rest of the game moves at breakneck speed, which means it's burning through those assets super quick. So part 2 and 3 (and beyond, if that's what we end up getting) will probably need a lot more padding, story-wise, than the Midgar chapter.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
You can totally mainline FF7 in under 20 hours, but what the post you're replying to post is saying is correct in the sense that there are 3 discs and all that, but Midgar is roughly one third of the game script on paper. So in terms of story events, Midgar is around a third. The problem, especially for a remake like this, is that the middle act of the game (in story terms) burns through assets/areas at about 3x the rate of Midgar even though in story terms less happens in each area than any one given area of Midgar.

Exactly. Midgar has a ton of cutscene density, whereas later areas have less cutscenes and more gameplay/exploration/dungeon runs. So the "it's 1/3rd of the script!!!!!!!!!" thing is kind of misrepresenting the experience. Video games are not just their scripts.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Every time they show something off, they give me more of a reason to just have Tifa in my party and fuck everyone else.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'd love to be able to go back to 2010 and show people this trailer

It would melt peoples brains

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017
The camera system is still really annoying to me. Dis shiz makes me cringe. Camera is too close, and constipated. Lose the environment and sense of exploration.
Screen-Shot-2020-01-31-at-5-16-59-AM.png
Screen-Shot-2020-01-31-at-5-17-23-AM.png
Agree, i am holding out for gameplay of the old turn base combat from the og game.
That being said, this trailer looks very good.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
No one can beat Bugs Bunny when it comes to drag but Cloud comes pretttyyyyyyy close

In all seriousness looks like total GOTY material, I'm drooling

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
Exactly. Midgar has a ton of cutscene density, whereas later areas have less cutscenes and more gameplay/exploration/dungeon runs. So the "it's 1/3rd of the script!!!!!!!!!" thing is kind of misrepresenting the experience. Video games are not just their scripts.

Well, obviously not, but you can garner a lot from a script, especially in a game that was as text-driven as the original FF7. There are 43 minutes of cutscenes in the game. 5 and a half minutes are in Midgar. 10 minutes are on the rest of disc 1. And then 15 minutes are on disc 2. The final 15 minutes is on disc 3, but there are only 3 scenes total on disc 3 - the ending, and two others under ten seconds each. The ending is a bit of a misnomer in this sense because it unbalances the 'load'.

Most of the disc 2 cutscenes are CG scenes that are more about establishing world, incidentally - like two 30-second shots of the Gold Saucer cable car going back and forth, landscape shots of the Nibelheim mountains, etc.

But, still. I would say the argument that it is around a third of the narrative is correct, not just because of counting the script - though I think the script supports the argument - but just because of how the game is structured. The problem is, like I said, asset creation on sequels is going to be brutal, at least up until the point when you start backtracking through the world, then it'll ease up.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i think that will take some time, since there's no full lyrics.
But the remake LP released today in japan so we will know in the next days the musics released, probably.

This won't stop the covers tho. We got 1/3 of Don't Think Twice initially and tons of fan covers were made, I believe the same will happen here.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
No, we've known forever that they intended to make Midgar a full game in and of itself. Presumably that would involve taking that 1/3rd of the script and pacing it out more in line with the rest of the story.

No one who brings up that Midgar is a third of the script think that it's literally a third of the game's overall content. It's a defense against the the argument that Midgar's length in OG VII definitively means that VII Remake is going to be some kind of short, five hour experience.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
Honey Bee Inn looks like an understandable update of a scene that would likely be wildly questionable if rendered exactly the way Toriyama originally wrote it, and Red XIII's new voice is pretty spot-on for how I would expect Nanaki to sound.

Really not a fan of what appears to be Sephiroth showing up in person to the whole party that early in the story, though. Also not a fan of how the only new content there seems to be is just Roche and "stuff from later episodes shoved into this one early". Would've been nice to see some new areas instead.
To be fair, that's in front of Jenova's tank, so it's not that much earlier. Originally you didn't see Sephiroth in person until the Cargo Ship, but Palmer confirmed that he saw Sephiroth in President Shinra's office and Shinra intelligence confirms reports of his movements.

I think the bigger issue is having a Jenova battle in President Shinra's office where Sephiroth is revealed to be an illusion created by Jenova. You're not supposed to find that out until you reach North Crater. It kinda sucks the mystery out of chasing Sephiroth if the party knows from the start that he's just Jenova. And having Aerith and Nanaki say Jenova is the source of everything.

Timeaisis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Is anyone not feeling this? The more they show, the less I'm interested in it. I love FFVII, but it becoming modernized is kinda turning me off. I know the original game was incredibly silly (which I love), but the hyper realistic graphics and tone seem too off from things like the honybee inn.

The music seems pretty meh, too.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, that's in front of Jenova's tank, so it's not that much earlier. Originally you didn't see Sephiroth in person until the Cargo Ship, but Palmer confirmed that he saw Sephiroth in President Shinra's office and Shinra intelligence confirms reports of his movements.

I think the bigger issue is having a Jenova battle in President Shinra's office where Sephiroth is revealed to be an illusion created by Jenova. You're not supposed to find that out until you reach North Crater. It kinda sucks the mystery out of chasing Sephiroth if the party knows from the start that he's just Jenova. And having Aerith and Nanaki say Jenova is the source of everything.

Also the fate ghosts or whatever swirling around Shinra Tower just...makes them feel a little bit silly. It's like the Heartless tornado from KH3.

Anaron

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Definitely not feeling certain aspects like the story crap with Sephiroth and Hojo and the newer additions; buuuuuuuttttt...

I think my queen is going to be done right sooooo I'm cautiously excited as hell.

The Last One

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
BTW I guess this game really doesn't feature that many CGs. The trailers definitely make it this seen the case.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Game looks damn amazing as usual. As for the usual concerns around changes ill say what i always do.

Didnt come looking for the original ff7. Show me what you can do today SE

Also nice to see realtime cutscenes. Should clean up well for ps5

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
Game looks damn amazing as usual. As for the concerns around changes ill say what i always do.

Exactly, the changes and additions are refreshing and in a weird kind of way justifies this game being Midgar only for me. Roche seems like a cool new addition and adding a Jenova fight is great.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
Game looks damn amazing as usual. As for the usual concerns around changes ill say what i always do.

Also nice to see realtime cutscenes. Should clean up well for ps5
Yeah, I just played the original recently, so I'm excited to see some stuff changed at least a little bit so it'll still be fresh.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
They should've gone with the version of Those Who Fight Further from the Black Mages.
I agree. It's how the original would've sounded if played on real instruments (close to what Orchestral Fantasy does by arranging the old game music according to what instruments were MEANT to be represented in the older synths). That's basically what the Black Mages version was because out of most of the songs they've covered of the FF series, Those Who Fight Further always leaned on the more "rock" side (no brainer given that Uematsu LOVES prog rock).

If I was to be hopeful, I would think there would be three parts to the FFVIIR project and in this part, Those Who Fight Further will be represented orchestral. Part 2, it will be rock version like The Black Mages (or the original). In Part 3, it will be a combo of the two (rock band with a backup orchestra).

Not a fan of electric guitars :-(
So you didn't like what the original was going for? The original was made to sound like a classic rock song from the 70s. Also had organ parts to it.

Oct 31, 2017
BTW I guess this game really doesn't feature that many CGs. The trailers definitely make it this seen the case.

Kingdom Hearts 3 trailers showed like 5 seconds of the Kairi/Axel scenes and 1 millisecond of the "Let It Go" scene. Not even a hint of the (literally) 10 minute action-packed CG scene at the end of the Pirate world. Full game had over 40 minutes of CGI. It's good to keep expectations low tho

Personally, I'm expecting like 6, maybe 7 CG cutscenes total. Which is fine considering the fact that the original game's Midgar section barely had any

Zeenbor

Developer at Run Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Amazing trailer kind of ruined by the English VO. I'm sure I can get used to it, but I rather have the Japanese VO if it's available. The trailer is way better in Japanese, IMO.

The Last One

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kingdom Hearts 3 trailers showed like 5 seconds of the Kairi/Axel scenes and 1 millisecond of the "Let It Go" scene. Not even a hint of the 10 minute action-packed CG scene at the end of the Pirate world. Full game had over 40 minutes of CGI. It's good to keep expectations low tho

KH III has almos an hour of CGs scenes but not "many" of them. Most of them were about Kairi and Lea, and then the big Pirates one, the Let it Go scene and the Tangled final scene (plus all the little ones that were featured inside Rapunzel's tower). I think FF VII will have big CG scenes but not many, like 4 or 5.

saintjules

Dec 20, 2019
I see the Heli Gunner appears outside. Maybe it's after the Hundred Gunner fight as both Bosses were on the Elevator during the escape.