• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Kinda unrelated but I already saw some people here saying/thinking Cloud had sex/was raped in the Honey Bee. I thought that meme died already, guess not.

Oct 27, 2017
FFXV in development hell for many years at the hands of Nomura, finally left onto Hajime Tabata's hands to save it under 2 years of development...

Meanwhile this project had ALL of the attention from SE.
This was also in dev hell under Nomura. Remember it taken away from CyberConnect2 and completely restarted? And based on the early footage it seems like COMPLETELY because all the models and even the battle system look different

Rocket Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit that looks so good. If part 1 is only Migar, it looks like they added a lot to the story. Red XII is Mufasa

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
This was also in dev hell under Nomura. Remember it taken away from CyberConnect2 and completely restarted? And based on the early footage it seems like COMPLETELY because all the models and even the battle system look different
The battle system actually looks very similar in the 2015 gameplay trailer

At 1:17 or so you can see the gameplay and it includes similar attack animations as well as an ATB bar filling up with each attack. The UI is different but aside from that it doesn't look like it was redone from the ground up.

SmokedSalmon

Apr 1, 2019
I'm not going to watch the trailer but I did look at the some of the screen shots. Can't wait to play it. I'll be studying in Japan though when it comes out (and I'm not bringing my PS4) so I'll have to wait a couple months. I'll try to take pictures if I see any cool advertisements.

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
OK, that looked good. Stopped midway, didn't want to get too spoiled, but daaaaaaamn that looked GOOD.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
Regardless, I still believe they are showing way too much of Sephiroth.

The original managed to create a perfect sense of mystery and suspense around him. During the whole Midgar saga you never saw him, you only heard about him, about how great and legendary he was, about how he vanished, about how much powerful he was.

Then you get to see his sword, impaling President Shinra on the back. And then Cloud reveals that Sephiroth is actually a dangerous madman and that he must be stopped at all costs, even if it means ignoring the Shin-Ra.

You do not get to see his physical appearance until Cloud's story time on Kalm, making his reveal more impactful.

But the Remake is overusing him. Not only do we see him as players, but apparently the whole party knows how he looks like now. And now Sephiroths is taunting Cloud very early on despite considering him nothing less than a mere puppet in the original.

I think that's the only change I'm not liking so far. I would've preferred if Sephiroth had remained a mystery to the party until the second Episode.
My concerns are a bit mitigated due to it appearing that the few times Sephiroth shows up in this remake before Hojo's lab appear to be Cloud having hallucinations. Having actual Sephiroth show up there mostly just sucks the buildup out of the trail of blood scene.

I think a bigger concern is that they are making it very obvious at this point of the story that Jenova is the one moving around and pretending to be Sephiroth. They show that Sephiroth is a hallucination before being replaced by Jenova, and Aerith and Nanaki saying Jenova is the source of everything. Feels like playing those cards way too early.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
I hope we get an option for Japanese VA because holy shit the english voices are fucking baaaad lol

I don't care for the song either. Lyrics in final fantasy songs have always been some cheesy bullshit...well excluding 14 that is.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
I hope we get an option for Japanese VA because holy shit the english voices are fucking baaaad lol

I don't care for the song either. Lyrics in final fantasy songs have always been some cheesy bullshit...well excluding 14 that is.
Hmm. I thought the voices were pretty damn good for a JRPG.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
I really can't understand how this passes for amazing. The English voice casting is atrocious, the cinematography is just so B grade, again classic Square screen filling particle effects... ugh

I've been playing FF games since the 80s, maybe I'm an old 41 yr old fart or maybe I have higher standards for a company's AAA tier game.

Place me in the meh camp.

Clearly an old fart. Go back to your Galaga and Tetris, old man.

Dialogue is fine, it's the voice acting that's absolute shit. Which is why I play these types of experiences in Japanese. How it is 2020 and this is the level of voice acting Square has given us, in the age of something like Witcher 3, for such an anticipated game, is beyond me. They literally sound like Saturday morning cartoon show characters from the 80s. But as long as the game is awesome it won't affect me because I'll never hear the English language track.

Speaking of which, anyone know if there's a subtitled version of that Japanese language trailer?

Because of lip-syncing. The mouth movements are very particular in realistic-looking JRPGs now which makes it harder to match the lip flaps. The actors have to speak English in a Japanese rhythm.

The Witcher didn't have issues like that.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
We're getting outtakes with Genesis and Sephiroth crossdressing are we not?

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Reminds me of a Hollywood anecdote. A woman goes up to a man at a party, and asks what he does for a living. He says he cuts trailers for films. The woman asks, which ones? He mentions one of her favorite movies.

"Oh, no! I absolutely hated that trailer! It gave everything away!"

"Did you go see the movie?"

"Of course!"

"Then I did my job well."

Very well, indeed.

Miang

Oct 28, 2017
output0df8e533de953ea7.png

Are my eyes deceiving me or does he have a fake bosom under the dress. GOTG

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
The original main game is only 15 hours long?
No, but the story of VII slows way down after Midgar. In terms of the amount of lines, OG Midgar is about a third of the script. But it essentially goes from story event to story event with no downtime. So while it's only a third of the script, it's closer to a fifth or a sixth of the gameplay time.

Presumably, part of the plan to expand on Midgar includes slowing down on its breakneck story pacing and adding more gameplay in between story segments.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
I don't know if we can judge VA based solely on cut together trailers. I believe a number of people have said that the Voice Acting flows much better in the demo. I know at least Max has made the point that the previous trailers did no favors for the VA compared to the demo.

seat

Banned
Mar 14, 2018
Oof, those English voices. Yikes. I wasn't expecting much, but even my low expectations weren't met.

Oct 28, 2017
Don' t understand how the PS2 Final Fantasy outings have better voice acting/direction than this. Game looks good tho, only thing that worries me is that they are going to pad this game out.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Regardless, I still believe they are showing way too much of Sephiroth.

The original managed to create a perfect sense of mystery and suspense around him. During the whole Midgar saga you never saw him, you only heard about him, about how great and legendary he was, about how he vanished, about how much powerful he was.

Then you get to see his sword, impaling President Shinra on the back. And then Cloud reveals that Sephiroth is actually a dangerous madman and that he must be stopped at all costs, even if it means ignoring the Shin-Ra.

You do not get to see his physical appearance until Cloud's story time on Kalm, making his reveal more impactful.

But the Remake is overusing him. Not only do we see him as players, but apparently the whole party knows how he looks like now. And now Sephiroths is taunting Cloud very early on despite considering him nothing less than a mere puppet in the original.

I think that's the only change I'm not liking so far. I would've preferred if Sephiroth had remained a mystery to the party until the second Episode.

Most people already know that Sephiroth is the main villain.

It kills the pacing.

Everyone and their mother knows what Sephiroth looks like.

Most people know that Aerith dies too.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Don' t understand how the PS2 Final Fantasy outings have better voice acting/direction than this. Game looks good tho, only thing that worries me is that they are going to pad this game out.

Different writers/directors/tone?

Why does original Silent Hill 2 and 3 have more nuanced, honest voice acting than 'professional VAs-R-Us' that is the HD Remaster re-dubs?

So much just comes down to voice direction.
But as others have said, some of the flow and delivery of these lines might sound better in-game as opposed at an out-of-context hype trailer.

Oct 31, 2017
My only personal gripe with the game so far is actually the soundtrack. I typically absolutely love orchestras and I live for bombastic soundtracks, but I just feel like every track I've heard so far totally lacks "oomph." I don't understand people gushing over the battle themes at all. Hopefully the full game changes my opinion.

Oct 28, 2017
Different writers/directors/tone?

Why does original Silent Hill 2 and 3 have more nuanced, honest voice acting than 'professional VAs-R-Us' that is the HD Remaster re-dubs?
That's my point why are we going backwards when we have so much more talent going around these days and it's not like the game is lacking in budget. Why can't SE be better on this front.

But as others have said, some of the flow and delivery of these lines might sound better in-game as opposed at an out-of-context hype trailer.
We'll see I guess. However, looking back I'm not hopeful.

Oct 25, 2017
My only personal gripe with the game so far is actually the soundtrack. I typically absolutely love orchestras and I live for bombastic soundtracks, but I just feel like every track I've heard so far totally lacks "oomph." I don't understand people gushing over the battle themes at all. Hopefully the full game changes my opinion.

They should've gone with the version of Those Who Fight Further from the Black Mages.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017

FF12 will never be matched.

I was mostly ok with the dub until I saw this trailer. Yea... I'll go with JP dub for sure.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Honey Bee Inn looks like an understandable update of a scene that would likely be wildly questionable if rendered exactly the way Toriyama originally wrote it, and Red XIII's new voice is pretty spot-on for how I would expect Nanaki to sound.

Really not a fan of what appears to be Sephiroth showing up in person to the whole party that early in the story, though. Also not a fan of how the only new content there seems to be is just Roche and "stuff from later episodes shoved into this one early". Would've been nice to see some new areas instead.