• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mimosa

Community & Social Media Manager
Verified
Oct 23, 2019
Why does Kid Cloud have the same voice as Big Boi Cloud? It's so offputting!

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if it being taken away from CyberConnect2 counts as a full reboot. IF you go back and watch the 2015 trailer, the same cutscenes and even gameplay concepts are still there (you can actually see the ATB bar filling up with successive attacks, just like the current system, albeint only one instead of multiple).

I'm sure it was a setback having the new team take over, but I don't think it really went through an entire reboot.

I think it only remained the same on a conceptual level, they redid everything.

Up5uHZG.gif

5IgeKst.gif

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I'm practically throwing a temper tantrum watching this cause I WANT IT NOW

I don't mind the over the top voice acting. It has a certain charm to it.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
BTW, if it wasn't obvious already, Red XIII is a guest member (he's in the Jenova fight in this trailer).

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
The voices are great, but the mixing and direction are terrible. Hopefully it's better in the finished product.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
On the one hand I'm a little bummed they showed so much, on the other hand I'm just relieved so much has been kept in. I don't mind the additions like the Jenova fight, either - it'd be a pretty boring 30-40 hour game if it didn't have setpieces like that. Sephiroth I'll have to wait and see - Tifa seeing him definitely muddles the Nibelheim story bit next game.

Nanakis VA sounds so familiar, too.

I guess at this point the only character we haven't really seen is Rufus.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad ya'll enjoying this trailer. But I can't help but seem incredibly concerned with the directions they are taking the story and the changes they are making. Remember, this is the Square that Made FF13 trilogy, FFVX and Kh3.They haven't written a good story for years. Especially Nojima and Nomura, whenever I see something that is new, I'm just wondering how they'll fuck it up. The game looks nice, gameplay looks solid, but some of the placement of characters appearing in the story seem kind of fanservicey in a bad way that feels like an insult to the original. I guess you could say it reminds me more of the compilation than the original.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I agree but honestly, It sounds like standard anime dialogue, you don't get good dialogues in these. They could make a better localization but you would get with an outrage for not being accurate enough I guess.

I'm very much of the opinion that purists can go F themselves. IMO Nintendo usually gets this right more than most. Games like Earthbound, Paper Mario, Luigi & Mario all have excellently translated dialogue that feels like it was written in English first, full of personality and flavor. If the sacrifice to my teeth not eroding from all that cringing is a lack in accuracy to the original material, then it's more than worth it.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
Shit, Barret using a MELEE weapon (around 3:14), right?

He had that boulder thingy in the original after all.

SunKing

Oct 25, 2017
I am more worried that this looks incredibly thin on story and probably will have a lot of filler
I mean...Midgar IS just the prologue. So, yeah, it's being stretched & padded out.

I'm glad ya'll enjoying this trailer. But I can't help but seem incredibly concerned with the directions they are taking the story and the changes they are making. Remember, this is the Square that Made FF13 trilogy, FFVX and Kh3.They haven't written a good story for years.
Final Fantasy XIV says, hi.

Last edited:

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
What was the point in changing Palmer to putting butter in his tea (English) from the original's lard (which was in the original English version of the game and is still in the Japanese version of THIS game)?

Also, still not feeling a good deal of the VA in English. Sounds very anime-dubby and over-exaggerated.

Oct 25, 2017
Words cannot display the feelings si felt while watching that trailer.

It's like if Square had looked inside my dreams, pulled out the Final Fantasy VII Remake out of there, and improved it to levels I couldn't possibly had imagined before.

This remake is indeed a labor of love. It keeps blowing my mind every single time to the point I cannot believe it.

I'm currently replaying the original for the nth time in preparation for this remake. Here's to my favorite Final Fantasy game, revived!

Toth

Oct 26, 2017
What a trailer. I didn't find it that spoilery since...you know, we know the FFVII story by now. But I suppose this does allude to
the *new* final battle of the game will be battle against Jenova in an illusion of the Nibelheim reactor room. I can see this setting up Sephiroth as the real villain (I don't believe anyone besides Cloud interacted for most of the game) and the search for Sephiroth far more effectively than the original did.

Last edited:

Sephiroth

Oct 26, 2017
Would it be insulting to Red XIII if Aerith or Tifa patted him on the head and said "you're the goodest boy"?

Mgs2master2

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Loving everything about this trailer. The English voices, the rich environment, just rebreathing life into a classic and remaking it (or rather reborn) as a brand new product.
I probably watched this trailer at least 30 times already.

The complaint about the dialogue is a valid one, but I think they wanted to get the "classic" feel in a sense. The time the game takes place, the location itself (basically a ghetto, abandoned train station, red light district, and corrupt energy company full fo smug individuals), a call back to the original title with its corny writing too, and just to deliver the proper ambiance (i think that would be the best word to use here) for it.

In japanese, i think the script is the exact same (from trailers at least) so either way you will hear the dialogue. Sharing my thoughts as why I think its a perfect direction with how they are doing it.

Deleted member 46958

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Damn, this looks astounding. Not even mad this is multi-parts. I just want to experience this.

Cross Dress Cloud
Red XIII
Seph and Cloud meet.
Those black specters

Phew.

Out of context though, that butter line was hilarious.

Edit: There's this odd sense of self-aware corniness. I wonder if that's intentional. Anybody agree?

Edit 2: Voice Acting feels uneven to me man. But eh.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What a trailer. I didn't find it that spoilery since...you know, we know the FFVII story by now. But I suppose this does allude to the last battle of the game will be battle against Jenova in an illusion of the Nibelheim reactor room. I can see this setting up Sephiroth as the real villain (I don't believe anyone besides Cloud interacted for most of the game) and the search for Sephiroth far more effectively than the original did.

Please tell me this is just a theory of yours and not based on the leaks.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
The lines and scenes they gave do a great job of nailing the personalities of the Shinra executives and Red XIII as I remember them. Fantastic. They're really gonna do it, aren't they.

Carl2291

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Red XIII is perfect. All the way down to the voice.

Cosmo Canyon will be pretty special in P2.

sensui-tomo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When I thought we wouldnt get a better voice for red and they get whomever the new guy is. Damn I'm looking forward to the new english dub. This game cant come out soon enough.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
I'm weak.

Broke down and watched it. Holy shit those madmen have done it. Just... wow!
My wife was losing her mind at the cross-dressing scene, hahah

Two months. Just let me sleep!

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately Sephiroth sounds like Benedict Cumberbatch in my head.

Chessy video, but whatever as a kid I always imagined Sephiroth sounding very deep, Shakespearean and far smarter than everyone else in the room.

Oct 25, 2017
IT's funny how Dragon Quest XI, despite having a more cartoony art style has more believable, realistic voice acting compared to this game.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
IT's funny how Dragon Quest XI, despite having a more cartoony art style has more believable, realistic voice acting compared to this game.
It's the only thing about this Remake that hasn't impressed me. Everything else looks very good. For an SE game this is probably the most polished thing I've seen them present in a long ass time if not ever.

Last edited:

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Wow, the English voices aren't making me vomit.

Granted, I'm hoping we can still set them to Japanese because they still sound better to my ears, but this is fine.

RalliArtEvo

Oct 27, 2017
Cincinnati

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
They most def changed the main story of the game now. This is a legit new game not just a "remake". im fucking loving it

also lol fuckin daigo dojima.
It looks the same story, just more action scenes and extra character scenes like when they adapt a novel into a tv series. Well Sephiroth is in it more, but that could be... the original game's plot point
Sephiroth calling out for Cloud as part of the jenova reunion
The weirdest things is the ghosts Aeris sees but I guess that subplot won't be explained in this part and it's still the same plot as the Midgar chapter from the original.

The Last One

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So sad that they won't release a clean version of the theme song.