• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Trailer implies in some way that he knows cloud. My big brain theory:
He says "you know what i want, a second dance, just the two of us". that is this games, Zack. He really didnt die or his story is now different to the point where he is brain washed or too much mako just made him a shinra soldier, and nothing more to a point
I just think it's the second time you meet him in the game. He showed up in another location in the TGS trailer.
88f61d5e2829e71d90409f6bc85d9331c1b6b1ac.gif

...Is that a gun? Or a grappling hook?

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
One thing to point out that I haven't seen many people mention is how fucking on point the lip-synching seems to be.
The US one seems alright in that regard but the way this was translated reminds me of FF X and the acting is, like I said, anime dub/10. Some anime dubs are good, just usually not.
All of this is flawless in the Japanese dub. You get extreme close-ups with Shinra, Palmer and Hoji and it might as well be a CG anime film with how natural it looks. The syllables the mouths form line up pretty well.

FF XV and Nier 2 were also amazing well acted in Japanese. Consider reading subtitles with your next SE game. You are missing out.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Hope this isn't a redux of MGSV trailers where we get our hands on the game and realize everything was shown in the trailers.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Always the same complains about the VA in the trailer of FF VII Remake, but then you just need to see the demo footage that you will realize that it's weird in the trailer because of the editing and the out of context dialogue.

Estarossa

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I'm alone in liking the English dub thus far.

Though (some) people tend to really value overacting so anything not over the top seems to be considered bad.

No you're not alone. This trailer sold me on the VA. The last time we had good voice work from the offline entries was FFXII.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this is looking really, really good.

Promising, end-to-end, until the moment you realize the game stops at the OG's game prologue's end...but still, looks really promising.

Hedgey

Oct 29, 2017
Dang this trailer got me hyped.
I have to buy this day one now.
Also, a lot of the side characters sound fine in English. Aeris? lololol no no no. Cloud? Try again.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The English VA works for me. I don't hear anything too jarring or out of place and some characters actually sound pretty damn good like Red Xiii

Jinaar

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton AB
I really can't understand how this passes for amazing. The English voice casting is atrocious, the cinematography is just so B grade, again classic Square screen filling particle effects... ugh

I've been playing FF games since the 80s, maybe I'm an old 41 yr old fart or maybe I have higher standards for a company's AAA tier game.

Place me in the meh camp.

Oct 25, 2017
The Cyclone State
1/4 of the story. it's clearly a full game.

but yeah, i dont think anyone really knows how/when parts 2/3/(4?) are coming out.

Forgive me for the questions. So the first 1/4th is long enough to be basically a full game?
Interesting. I've only ever played the beginning. I'm going to get this for sure, but spending $240 (or whatever it ends up being) to get the "full" FFVII story is a weird concept.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
Forgive me for the questions. So the first 1/4th is long enough to be basically a full game?
Interesting. I've only ever played the beginning. I'm going to get this for sure, but spending $240 (or whatever it ends up being) to get the "full" FFVII story is a weird concept.
There's a ton of stuff in this trailer that wasn't in the original Midgar storyline. There's definitely some expansion going on.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
This is the main controversy regarding the game since it was annouced to be split into parts and has been discussed over and over.

In the end, we won't know just how comparable this is to a "full game" until we play it.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
The game and graphics look absolutely amazing. However the dialogue and voice acting is absolutely atrocious and ruins the magic for me. :/

Dialogue is fine, it's the voice acting that's absolute shit. Which is why I play these types of experiences in Japanese. How it is 2020 and this is the level of voice acting Square has given us, in the age of something like Witcher 3, for such an anticipated game, is beyond me. They literally sound like Saturday morning cartoon show characters from the 80s. But as long as the game is awesome it won't affect me because I'll never hear the English language track.

Speaking of which, anyone know if there's a subtitled version of that Japanese language trailer?

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017
I like some parts and hate other parts(most other parts). Sepiroth and Hojo being such big clear parts feels off tonally, like they think Cloud is special from the beginning which misses the whole point of Cloud. The characters seem to know to much and just this whole trailer makes me feel that Square doesn't understand the original at all. I'm pretty sure I will hate this but I know I'm in the minority. But it looks great as a facile mirror(plus with all this added junk, I really am sure these are never going to be finished).

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This is gonna be a wild ass ride. It's easy to forget just how eventful this game is. Even if it ends at Midgar its going to be more packed than 90% of games releasing nowadays anyway

Kayotix

Oct 25, 2017
I can already feel my disappointment after finishing part 1 and having to wait for the rest.....

It looks really good.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
I like some parts and hate other parts(most other parts). Sepiroth and Hojo being such big clear parts feels off tonally, like they think Cloud is special from the beginning which misses the whole point of Cloud. The characters seem to know to much and just this whole trailer makes me feel that Square doesn't understand the original at all. I'm pretty sure I will hate this but I know I'm in the minority. But it looks great as a facile mirror(plus with all this added junk, I really am sure these are never going to be finished).
Square Enix made three games out of the relatively poorly received FFXIII universe. There's absolutely no reason to believe this Remake series won't be finished unless this bombs terribly. Whether it'll be good or not is obviously a matter of perspective.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
In what fucking world does the voice acting sound bad lmao, I honestly think these are all the best voices these characters have ever had in English just from the trailers and demo alone.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
This is kind of a vague statement, I can't tell if you're agreeing with me that the voice acting is bad or disagreeing with me and saying its good.

I'm saying that most people who complain about bad voice acting can't seem to tell the difference between what is good and what isn't and value characters overacting as: "good acting".

V has come to

Dec 4, 2019
this looks really great. still approaching with caution since Square has let me down too many times, but whew it looks good

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
Clearly the clone but they never run into during Midgar right?
They aren´t "clones" and our protagonist is technically one of them. They also entered Midgar even in 1997.
finalfantasy.fandom.com

Sephiroth Clone

We've finally released samples into town. They walk all around town, but do not seem to want to leave it. Furthermore, two of them are still in their pods. Again, no explanation is provided to me. Could the procedure have failed? No, impossible! Professor Hojo's experiments don't...

The original translation is quite the mess you all. All but the Japanese players and those who looked up what Sony (i think) managed to mangle back in the day sadly managed to get aspects of the plot a bit wrong though simply playing the official translation. The German one is especially bad but I only played that version once. The US one was seen as an upgrade by me when I replayed it in the 00s but the PC modding scene finaly saw to this in 2015.
It arguably took SE till FF XII to have totally coherent translations at the ready. FF Tactics (PSX) was hit rather hard too.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The voice acting is good here and there, but something is off in some scenes with certain main characters. What is bad are the voices themselves for certain characters like Aerith. Japanese dub it is for me (the lip sync <3)

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Regarding the games you mentioned, that was a different time. The difference with FFVIIR is that I just don't think today's Squeenix can sustain an experience of this sort with this rather impressive level of production values for 40 hours. There's no open world here padding the experience with menial shit like in FFXV.

That makes we wonder which game had more time in the oven to create more content and more time for that content to be polished.
Wikipedia says that the Final Fantasy XV we know only started full development in 2012 when they scrapped most old stuff, switched to another engine, switched from PS3/Xbox360 to to PS4/Xbox One and replaced Nomura with Tabata. It releasing in 2016 means that it was in development for about 4 years. For a pretty big, open world game.
According to Wikipedia FFVII Remake started full development in 2015 and with it releasing in 2020 makes it about 5 years in development, which is longer for an overall smaller game.
So technically FFVII could be pretty content rich and also be more polished than FFXV.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
I'm saying that most people who complain about bad voice acting can't seem to tell the difference between what is good and what isn't and value characters overacting as: "good acting".

But you quoted me, what does that have to do with me? Be clear with what you're saying and don't dance around it as since you quoted me, I wanna be able to address whatever it is properly. Are you saying I am one of these "most people" who value overacting as 'good acting'?

Ozymandias

Jun 9, 2018
Why does the voice acting always sound so weird in SE trailers? The Honey Bee scene is so weird because the music and dialogue sounds off.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
But you quoted me, what does that have to do with me? Be clear with what you're saying and don't dance around it as since you quoted me, I wanna be able to address whatever it is properly. Are you saying I am one of these "most people" who value overacting as 'good acting'?

I'm saying that if you think this is bad then you don't know what actual bad (english) voice acting sound likes. Because the voice acting is actually pretty decent, it's not world class but it's not: "absolute shit" either.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
S-E continues the trend of hilariously bad VA/delivery in FF.

Cool trailer otherwise.