• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
Unfortunately they're kinda fucked no matter what they do. By putting no number on the box they're essentially lying to customers about what the game contains.

And then REGARDLESS they'll have to do "Part 2" and "Part 3" for the later parts. They need to get in front of this shit now and be honest about it, on the box, rather than pretending "it's a full game so it doesn't matter if 90% of the story isn't in it!"

At the end of the day their plan is surely to take the money that comes with being the FF7 remake. they will cross the bridge of selling the sequels when they reach it in years' time. I'm not advocating for their approach, but the reasons why are obvious.

They could always use "Episode" 2/3; though I wonder if this indicates how they'll tackle future parts. Are we looking at a FFXV situation again with a live game approach? Episode Nibelheim, Episode Wutai, etc, released primarily digitally with a complete version down the line

They have said multiple times it'll be multiple full-price, full-size game releases; Kitase said the most obvious comparison was to FF13/13-2/Lighting Returns. So it'll be like that.

Deleted member 17435

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just can't...it's too much
UnpleasantCheeryAmoeba-size_restricted.gif

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
At the end of the day their plan is surely to take the money that comes with being the FF7 remake. they will cross the bridge of selling the sequels when they reach it in years' time. I'm not advocating for their approach, but the reasons why are obvious.

That's how it feels to me too. They're going to coast on the guaranteed instant success of this game and figure shit out later. It's part of the reason I harp on them so much - it really feels like there is ZERO plan for the rest of the remake as of right now and half the reason they're sticking to Midgar is so they don't have to broach the subject of the larger game world (and how to split THAT up) for several more years.

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
This is the first trailer since the very first reveal trailer that got me super excited. My expectations are super high.

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
I actually think it isn't, especially when it comes out in two blu ray discs.

This is a smart observation, but I also want to point out the number of discs is a pretty nuts/useless metric as it doesn't mean anything. Like FF13 shipped on three Xbox 360 discs because they couldn't be bothered to re-compress most assets from PS3, which is why that game shipped on 3 discs while its similarly-sized sequels all squeezed onto one disc. predicting the size of the game or anything else based on the number of discs is folly as we don't know what we're dealing with - it could be CG cutscenes, it could be multiple languages, it could just be massive 4K-ready textures while other games have done stuff like 4K texture pack downloads. It's truly impossible to know.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Sure, and that includes you and me, you know? Honestly, I dislike Sephiroth's inclusion in Midgar. I dislike the whole specter thingies. I suspect I'll like the story better without those noise, just like I would most likely be happier if Reno's last action in the church is saying "don't step on the flower" while uncaringly walking away. But I won't frame it as my vision being truer than theirs, as "fanfiction" would suggest. Can't we just express disagreement without that kind of dismissal? I'm sorry, I suppose this has little to do with the discussion itself. It's just a personal grievance.

And speaking of disagreements...

When I said "blanks" I referred mostly to the world building aspect of the game. Because holograms already exist in that world. Super advanced flying automaton already exists too. So when you took umbrage with the president's hologram, I got the impression that it's somehow a science too far, just because something exactly like that was never shown in the original game.

Furthermore, Jessie in the original game is a naive girl who built got surprised at how destructive her own bomb was, then jeopardized their entire mission just because she had a crush on Cloud. I don't feel like anything shown in the trailer really makes a worse impression of her.

And lastly, I was talking about the flashy fights when I'm suggesting that it's what the creators wanted to begin with because... Well I don't really how the fights in the game could actually be "grounded". Even ignoring all the bombastic magic and Limit Breaks, how would you envision a fight with a 5-story monster underwater go?
Fair enough! I word things very strongly so I can totally see why my tone in text can be really confrontational. I will admit and take ownership of that. However seeing as I'm not proposing a theoretical alternative to the scene and saying my version is better, I'm pointing to the original and how it being changes changes other things, I don't feel I'm being dismissive in the slightest.

"Holograms exist" like in Crisis Core is a bit different than using robots to show off holograms of key members of Midgar. Again like with other parts of the plot it's taking the full 100% anime approach and instead of these people being high ups in Midgar who are just sending people to kill Cloud, they make it a personal confrontation just like with Seph and Cloud. We "have" to have the President and everyone talk directly to Cloud because we can't just have him walk up and not give a shit that they're about to die and disappear and not be seen again until the shinra HQ. The whole basis of my complaints stems from recontextualizing and downright changing the surrounding scenes regarding characters and key scenes, much like the Reno scene introduction now being a shoehorned in fight.

Jessie's first line in the original (to my knowledge) is "think of how many people died, just for this code" when you talk to her directly. Which is a whole lot different from "You talking to me? I'm flattered but go blow her mind first." I'm all for scenes on the train and back at the HQ reinforcing her being naive and/or having a crush on cloud, but instead of feeling like levity that's needed to deal with the consequences of what they're doing, it feels like everyone is just the resistance from FFXIII now.

Jessie's entire persona being cheerful waif who fights is, in my opinion, a change. She was not nearly so outspoken in the original and actually can't deal with much confrontation at all as the environment between Cloud and AVALANCHE is pretty bad in the scene under 7th Heaven. AGain, something that might change when the rest of the scenes come to light.

Again though when I state grounded it means it has rules the world played by. We always have a bit of dissonance with fighting in an RPG or video game versus its narrative because typically those powers in battle are far more absurd and crazy than what's present in the game world usually. So talking about the fighting in the game versus the fighting in cutscenes (to me) are two different conversations.

I'm not saying there can't be flashy lights and spectacle, I'm saying from the Demo footage and the trailers all I'm seeing is a large focus on explosions, particle effects, graphics, and other things. But that clearly works for a lot of people so I mean, I don't know why I'm still talking about it haha.

So i'm not the only who dislike the new ost...square jist give the option for the original music please.
I'm waiting to hear the themes of each area, but even the theme they put with the PS4 background sounds like the typical Hans Zimmer ambient noise that fills film, and not the melodic themes that I'm used to. I have a strong feeling that this might change as we get to the actual game though.

Last edited:

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was skeptical before but this really changed my mind, it looks amazing.
It's actually goofy ass FF7 and not Advent Children FF7. Thank god.

doodlebob

Mar 11, 2018
Watching Max's video, he points out that it's daytime in what's probably Wall Market during Tifa's minigame. I wonder what this could mean for a potential day/night cycle.

Oct 31, 2017
Why is SE calling it the VII remake release then? That's what I don't understand. Why not just add part 1?

Because most first releases don't have a "1" or "Part 1" at the end of the title

I think a lot of you guys are blowing this out of proportion. The only people that would be outraged would be people who played the original, and then blindly buy this without doing any research. And there's probably going to be very few cases of that

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
XV's OST is probably on the whole better than VII's, honestly. VII might have more nostalgic music pieces but compositionally it's nowhere near as consistent or as musically identifiable as VI or XV are.
I did say SINCE ff7 so ff6 was not included. Ff6 music is godlike obviously :)

I also agree XV is more consistent thematically but thats not necessarily a better thing. I enjoyed the diversity in ff7.

Oct 31, 2017
This is a smart observation, but I also want to point out the number of discs is a pretty nuts/useless metric as it doesn't mean anything. Like FF13 shipped on three Xbox 360 discs because they couldn't be bothered to re-compress most assets from PS3, which is why that game shipped on 3 discs while its similarly-sized sequels all squeezed onto one disc. predicting the size of the game or anything else based on the number of discs is folly as we don't know what we're dealing with - it could be CG cutscenes, it could be multiple languages, it could just be massive 4K-ready textures while other games have done stuff like 4K texture pack downloads. It's truly impossible to know.

XIII's CG cutscenes were heavily compressed on the 360.

XIII-2 had less than half the amount of CGI that XIII had (minutes-wise), and Lightning Returns even less so. They also didn't have pre-rendered cutscenes with the game's engine like XIII did.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's just an assumption.

The cutscenes look so good that I won't be surprised if they pre-rendered it with the game engine so it keeps a certain quality without dropping frames.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I guess, I was thinking he might be a younger version... But I'm probably overthinking it.

Pretty sure the Remnants were created by Sephiroth and Jenova after his initial death at Cloud's hands. The new guy is just a random SOLDIER and he'll very likely be dead pretty quickly.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Im fine with this release if they need to make 3 parts to do justice to the brand then so be it, its not like FFXV or XIII were that amazing

Im not worried part 1 will lack content at all, and its probably gonna be better and more polished than the modern HD FF games anyways