• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ThankDougie

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo
So based on literally a couple shots you've determined that they've made a choice to make sure that Barret doesn't look black enough

HE STILL LOOKS BLACK. That's why what you're saying is ridiculous. That's why you sound ridiculous. He still very clearly has a much darker skin tone tone compared to Cloud and all the other characters in the trailer even when the same SSS effect is happening.

it's not about being black enough dude. WTF. you go right from what I'm saying to "oh, light skin black isn't ok?" why?

this is about the way dark skinned black people are excluded from media largely consumed by white males. many of whom, in this thread, tried to shrug off the idea of racism altogether.

Tom Nook

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Tifa's AC look is just perfect. I hope we get that as a pre-order bonus or something.

Hey original design looks way too goofy to me, never liked it. But I don't mind if they stay faithful, it's a remake, after all.

I think Tifa will wear something similar like AC in the remake. If she is going to wear the original outfit, maybe she'll put on a jacket before going out.

tumblr_o3qjdslDQb1utax9vo1_1280.jpg

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
I think what's a bit weird about Barrett is that everyone else still looks very much like an anime character while he looks like a real human

His original design was always more gruff and realistic to me. I think we'll see more realistic dudes when we face the rest of the Shinra forces.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
it's not about being black enough dude. WTF. you go right from what I'm saying to "oh, light skin black isn't ok?" why?
He literally has dark skin. He isn't light. BRIGHT LIGHT ON DARKER SKIN=BRIGHTER SKIN IN THAT SHOT. Oml it's so tiring debating people at times. Literally use an iota of critical thinking skills.

this is about the way dark skinned black people are excluded from media largely consumed by white males.
And you're using this thread as a jumping off point for a subject where you had to ask to grind for what reason?

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Tifa's AC look is just perfect. I hope we get that as a pre-order bonus or something.

Hey original design looks way too goofy to me, never liked it. But I don't mind if they stay faithful, it's a remake, after all.

I really like her AC design also but looking forward to what they do with her .
Still no matter what happen people going to complain one way or the other .

Calliope

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Detroit, MI
I think they'll stick with Tifa's original design and update it with details and practical changes like they did with Aerith's. Like, her dress is still pink, but it's styled more modern with a prettier pattern, her necklace has an embellishment on it, her jacket has more buttons, etc.

I'm honestly looking forward to what they do with Tifa (just not the gross internet arguments)

Oct 25, 2017
No white shirt + suspenders = no buy

(Ok, not really)
I actually like the suspenders quite a bit, it's just the skirt that I find super weird.

If I had to guess, it's the combination of super short skirt with super long sleeves that just make her look weird to me.

I think Tifa will wear something similar like AC in the remake. If she is going to wear the original outfit, maybe she'll put on a jacket before going out.

tumblr_o3qjdslDQb1utax9vo1_1280.jpg

For some reason, this works for me.

Maybe it's actually the bit of exposed arm between the shirt and the sleeves that bother me, and not the skirt like I thought?

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think Tifa will have her original design, and they'll just change the skirt so that there are some hotpants/shorts underneath.

LowParry

Oct 26, 2017
while i think barret skin color is something important to discuss i think we should wait for more material to know for sure and have a proper discussion, because this talk is already in loop.
Racial discussions are important let's not be dismissive about that, but we dont have enough pics to analyse, so let's wait for the next trailer/pics when we can discuss that without the debate if its light or not.

Agreed. But this isn't the best example. You can clearly see Barret in other shots, in combat, with the correct tone of skin and everything. But really, this subject needs to move to another thread.

ThankDougie

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo
He literally has dark skin. He isn't light. BRIGHT LIGHT ON DARKER SKIN=BRIGHTER SKIN IN THAT SHOT. Oml it's so tiring debating people at times. Literally use an iota of critical thinking skills.

And you're using this thread as a jumping off point for a subject where you had to ask to grind for what reason?

HE IS LITERALLY PORTRAYED WITH EXTRA LIGHT SKIN AND PEOPLE ARE SAYING "LOL IT'S JUST THE LIGHTING." BRIGHT LIGHT ON DARKER SKIN =/= BY DEFAULT LIGHT SKIN. OMG IT'S SO TIRING DEBATING PEOPLE WHO WANT TO IGNORE ISSUES.

This isn't a jumping off point. It's an observation a few people made about a game, which has caused people to make racially dismissive comments (at least you're engaging me, damn) because "hey, man, don't derail our fun."

Talk about not using an iota of critical thinking. FFS.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
I think they'll stick with Tifa's original design and update it with details and practical changes like they did with Aerith's. Like, her dress is still pink, but it's styled more modern with a prettier pattern, her necklace has an embellishment on it, her jacket has more buttons, etc.

I'm honestly looking forward to what they do with Tifa (just not the gross internet arguments)

Yea, they'll def go for the original designs. So far everyone in the teaser are more OG accurate.

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
I remain kinda sad they went for realistic proportions for Barret.

Would have been awesome having him be the absolute tank of a man he was in the original. His biceps were bigger than most people in the FMVs

screenshot004-1-1024x576.jpg

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I think what's a bit weird about Barrett is that everyone else still looks very much like an anime character while he looks like a real human
The thing that was most anime about him in the original was his proportions compared to everyone else, and they have definitely nerfed that.

Deleted member 5086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
HE IS LITERALLY PORTRAYED WITH EXTRA LIGHT SKIN AND PEOPLE ARE SAYING "LOL IT'S JUST THE LIGHTING." BRIGHT LIGHT ON DARKER SKIN =/= BY DEFAULT LIGHT SKIN. OMG IT'S SO TIRING DEBATING PEOPLE WHO WANT TO IGNORE ISSUES.

This isn't a jumping off point. It's an observation a few people made about a game, which has caused people to make racially dismissive comments (at least you're engaging me, damn) because "hey, man, don't derail our fun."

Talk about not using an iota of critical thinking. FFS.

Official Staff Communication
This discussion seems to be going round in circles and you're both getting heated. Please step away if you can't engage civilly.

Harp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just started my first playthrough of FF7 finally with the Switch version. I'm still fairly early on in it, but I'll have it done in a couple months.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Yall are exaggerating with Tifa, she has had smaller breasts for like a decade now. I doubt people will fire up a storm.

ImNotAFroot

Nov 6, 2017
I'm more worried about Tifa's physique, she's a badass martial artist, her body should be more muscular than your average tity waifu.

TropicalFish

Oct 25, 2017
The more I look at the skirt the more I hate it.

I pray we get Advent Children alts because sis that was a LOOK.

tenor.gif

ACTUAL perfection.

#givetifashorts

aesync

Jan 19, 2018
Chicago
I remain kinda sad they went for realistic proportions for Barret.

Would have been awesome having him be the absolute tank of a man he was in the original. His biceps were bigger than most people in the FMVs

screenshot004-1-1024x576.jpg
Yeah this would have been awesome. I've always been a fan of deformed FF style from 7 and 9, and it would be soooo cool to see it rendered out in an updated engine. But I guess everyone in Japan is obsessed with Crisis Core/Advent Children style? So I don't think that would ever happen. Like this design of barret is so much cooler than the generic one.

KvotheStrife

May 29, 2018

this is about the way dark skinned black people are excluded from media largely consumed by white males. many of whom, in this thread, tried to shrug off the idea of racism altogether.

Really dude?!?!?! smh. Anyway he looks black to me