• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
User warned: Dismissive to valid concerns, continuing to engage in bad faith, and Sweeping generalizations of the community
the amount of casual racism in this thread where media representation is concerned is really pretty sad.

"naw man, he's definitely black, don't even ask the question! you're crazy!"

yeah, as if black people with dark skin have never been erased from various media in the history of the world. nope, nope, can't handle that: why even mention it?

giphy.gif
I mean the dude is clearly black. Y'all trying to make controversy as this community so loves is nonsense. Now I await somebody to call me racist without knowing my skin color so I can school em real quick

IllumiNate

Nov 18, 2018
Canada
Cloud looks like a wet noodle pretty boy with a pre-teens body. He was an Ex Soldier he should look more bad ass. Then the unnatural voice acting is pretty much expected with Japanese games.
Why can't they just let English born Square employees choose the voice actors and voice direction? There's such a disconnect between Non English speaking people thinking what they assume sounds normal and what's actually normal.

I'll still be there day 1 but this trailer was just alright. I'm someone that regards ff7 as top 3 games ever made so I'm not just hating.

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
I think it's "one game" in reference to the 1997 story scenario only. Really this will be 3 (or more) modern games.

It's like waiting for all 3 movies of the Hobbit before you watch it, because you know it's based on one book. Sure, I get it.. you don't want a fraction of the original story. But at the same time it's not like they actually released three 40 minute short films that add up to one normal movie. It's definitely 3 separate full movies that work like a normal trilogy, regardless of what the original book was.

So too will this FF7 experience be 3 full games and waiting for all of them over 2-5 years won't yield "one game" but really a trilogy of games that are too big to chip away at in one experience. It will be like trying to play the Mass Effect trilogy or the FFXIII trilogy in a single marathon. Good luck.
It certainly seems to me that if they're going to make it episodic, then they're breaking up the entire Final Fantasy VII narrative into multiple parts; which given Square-Enix track record of releases - means we might be waiting a decade to play the full game.

If they make each episode it's own game, but each one completes a part of the overall narrative; then they most definitely are breaking up the main narrative into multiple parts.
Exactly my thoughts. I'm guessing it's not exclusive so I could get them on PC but I'd just rather wait until they are all out. I'd be super pissed finishing up midgar and then it's like. Next time on ff7.

Do we even trust square to finish these episodes on time? I sure dont. My interest is pretty much dead if its episodic.
Agreed 110%.

I'd rather just wait until all of it is finished to play it as a cohesive whole - like I did back in 1997 with the original game. I don't like having to agonize over long wait periods between things that should be all one, cohesive experience. To me, this is like breaking up a single James Bond movie into three, separate movies that release two years apart from each other.

I'm just not that patient.

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Cloud looks like a wet noodle pretty boy with a pre-teens body. He was an Ex Soldier he should look more bad ass. Then the unnatural voice acting is pretty much expected with Japanese games.
Why can't they just let English born Square employees choose the voice actors and voice direction? There's such a disconnect between Non English speaking people thinking what they assume sounds normal and what's actually normal.

I'll still be there day 1 but this trailer was just alright. I'm someone that regards ff7 as top 3 games ever made so I'm not just hating.

Hey.

Cloud wasn't actually exsoldier.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
The trailer mentioning the "PS4 generation" is having me wondering if this is gonna be cross-gen. First episode this year/early next year for PS4, then the rest for PS5 maybe.

ThankDougie

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo
Oh I agree, the man is blacker than, Mr T. Anyone saying otherwise is really reaching.

i swear, it's like y'all don't even understand the issue.

https://atlantablackstar.com/2015/0...tewashed-for-a-magazine-cover-or-ad-campaign/
https://www.thedailybeast.com/why-do-magazines-lighten-black-faces
https://www.kqed.org/pop/102572/in-a-post-black-panther-world-can-skin-lightening-finally-stop

These are three quick examples of whitewashing in popular media. Gee, I can't possibly imagine why some people might question whether this could happen in a video game too.

AzureFlame

Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait
It certainly seems to me that if they're going to make it episodic, then they're breaking up the entire Final Fantasy VII narrative into multiple parts; which given Square-Enix track record of releases - means we might be waiting a decade to play the full game.

If they make each episode it's own game, but each one completes a part of the overall narrative; then they most definitely are breaking up the main narrative into multiple parts.

Agreed 110%.

I'd rather just wait until all of it is finished to play it as a cohesive whole - like I did back in 1997 with the original game. I don't like having to agonize over long wait periods between things that should be all one, cohesive experience. To me, this is like breaking up a single James Bond movie into three, separate movies that release two years apart from each other.

I'm just not that patient.

Then you should wait for all titles to come out then play them.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Boy, of all the things I thought I'd walk into coming into this thread this late... this was not even in the running.

Barrett is light skinned now. Light skinned dudes are still black my guys.

I'd say it's an odd choice but it's Japan... and kind of expected outta them. Hell, they even make Asian people look lighter than their general population... but I can't say it's not slightly disappointing. Especially being a darker skinned black dude myself.

Oh well. He still looks dope. Glad to hear that he doesn't sound like.. whatever the hell that was in the original. That's the most important part to me.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Damn Aerith. Those green eyes. I could get lost in those eyes. I love you my sweetie.

Kaiken

Oct 25, 2017
User warned: Dismissive to valid concerns, continuing to engage in bad faith.

https://atlantablackstar.com/2015/0...tewashed-for-a-magazine-cover-or-ad-campaign/
https://www.kqed.org/pop/102572/in-a-post-black-panther-world-can-skin-lightening-finally-stop

These are three quick examples of whitewashing in popular media. Gee, I can't possibly imagine why some people might question whether this could happen in a video game too.
I won't argue with you. Go ahead and spread you agenda somewhere else.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

that's since the original
latest

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
Surprised we didn't see the Air Buster in action. Maybe the E3 trailer when Tifa is beating the crap out of it.

final-fantasy-vii-remake-images-1_0352031300895497-365x338.jpg

ThankDougie

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo
Boy, of all the things I thought I'd walk into coming into this thread this late... this was not even in the running.

Barrett is light skinned now. Light skinned dudes are still black my guys.

I'd say it's an odd choice but it's Japan... and kind of expected outta them. Hell, they even make Asian people look lighter than their general population... but I can't say it's not slightly disappointing. Especially being a darker skinned black dude myself.

Oh well. He still looks dope. Glad to hear that he doesn't sound like.. whatever the hell that was in the original. That's the most important part to me.

whitewashing dark skin in popular media is a well-documented facet of systemic racism. of course light-skinned black people are still black, but that doesn't really address the question or the reason for the question.

it's obviously still up in the air whether this is actually happening in FF VIIR (that's great if it isn't!), but to suggest it's crazy that people might wonder about this? that people wondering about it just want to ruin other people's fun? Era has a serious casual racism problem. Then again, that's not surprising because the entire country does.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

i'm a little concerned too, but the shots that we see his face there's fire and explosions so its hard to tell, i will wait for the next trailer to judge and if its real, you have my sword

ThankDougie

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo
i'm a little concerned too, but the shots that we see his face there's fire and explosions so its hard to tell, i will wait for the next trailer to judge and if its real, you have my sword

I agree: it's totally up in the air because we don't have enough footage. I hope I'm wrong!

What bothers me is the amount of casual racism in this thread where even talking about it is "crazy" or a matter of wanting to ruin other people's fun. as if such concerns are invalid off the cuff because "oh hey, you're definitely wrong." strong argument there, y'all.

Last edited:

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
I can't stand conservatism and backwardness that has no other argument than 'this is not what it used to be like in the original'. Turn-based combat was very much a compromise at the time because anything real-time was a lot harder to pull off, and often not satisfying with regard to gameplay. Resident Evil 2 changed quite a lot from the original, yet it is still an amazing game. A remake has the right to creatively reinterpret what the original offered, adapt things to modern technical capabilities etc. I know I will not go into one of these FF VII OTs if 50% of the postings just revolve around purist discussions. For me it's more important to capture the essence of the materia system than recreate it 100%.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
I still cant believe they went with FF7: Remake and not FF7: Reunion. It's right there!
Especially considering that this is a game by Nomura!! :P
They did explain that they decided to use Remake instead of something else because they wanted people to not get confused and 100% understand this is a remake right away.

Kaiken

Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait for more details. It's been a long time coming and no casual racism pointing will stop this train.

Abu

Oct 25, 2017
😏
y'all never been in a room full of fluorescent lights? oh forgot, y'all cooped up in ya dark basement I'm sorry

lmao some of y'all worry me

Suikodan

Oct 25, 2017
That man 👨🏾is black cut it the hell out
Holy shit, Barret isn't black now? LMAO, Era, you cray cray.
I mean the dude is clearly black. Y'all trying to make controversy as this community so loves is nonsense. Now I await somebody to call me racist without knowing my skin color so I can school em real quick
They had to ruin the fun we are having.

I didn't expect to see this in such a thread but ERA being ERA, I'm not surprised. As a white person, I was surprised to learn that light brown-skinned are being intimidated from other brown-skinned persons for being too light-brown, wow. Pardon me but Barret isn't looking like a white person to me, but I'm no expert of course.

Back on topic: I watched the trailer several times, watched the older trailers, watched FF7AC. I am clearly excited for it.

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Never fails - I need to just get off Era whenever I'm excited about a game (especially this game) because it turns into a 50 pages of complaining, nitpicking, and armchair dev talk interspersed with actual excitement.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Especially considering that this is a game by Nomura!! :P
They did explain that they decided to use Remake instead of something else because they wanted people to not get confused and 100% understand this is a remake right away.

And I think they're right. FFVII: Reunion, while working as a remake title, does sound just as much like a sequel.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
I can't with people saying Barret doesn't look black.

You can clearly see in the shot the lighting is making everyone a shade lighter.

LowParry

Oct 26, 2017
Wait...hold the fuck up here. People believe that Barret, is getting white washed based on that scene? Are you even watching the whole scene for context? There's a huge fucking giant robot scorpion with it's tail up, shoot a laser beam of light at the pair.

Jesus some of you people are just....I can't even...

KvotheStrife

May 29, 2018

Cloud didn't make to SOLDIER >.>

Nauren

Oct 30, 2017
Never fails - I need to just get off Era whenever I'm excited about a game (especially this game) because it turns into a 50 pages of complaining, nitpicking, and armchair dev talk interspersed with actual excitement.

You're not allowed to be pro-SE!!!!! How dare you?!?! SE threads are always hyperbolic. I mean we have more than enough reasons to be concerned, but not sure why we can't have a reasonable discussion.

ThankDougie

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo
Era when it comes to FF VII:

"Will you guys stop problematizing the stuff I like with these pesky discussions of race? I'm trying to ENJOY something over here and can't be bothered with even a hint of systemic white supremacy, despite solid documentation that this shit happens all the time."

For a presumably left-leaning, socially conscious board, y'all sure do have a huge hole in your knowledge and understanding of race.

Oct 26, 2017
He's black.

But why the sunglasses.

I don't understand.

What is this trope of black men in Japanese games wearing sunglasses for no reason.

Is this a Blade thing.

Blade was a vampire (kind of).