• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gambit

Oct 27, 2017
I don't get the FFXV comparisons honestly. Looks way more Kingdom Hearts-esque.

You see them press the button repeatedly to attack.

Anyway, FFXV battle system would be my worst case scenario and this trailer struck a lot of the right chords with me.

Especially dreamy Aerith

Oct 31, 2017
Who are you to tell me what to say?

How about you stop insulting other members?

giphy.gif

Oct 27, 2017
As always some people don't just say "it does nothing for me", they judge it straight trash.

Personally don't know what to think about the combat, i know it will be action rpg, but honestly for me combat is not that important and not what defined FF VII as one of the best games. It was story, cutscenes direction, characters, minigames, secrets to find, really interesting areas to explore.

One thing i hope they kept in gameplay is Materia system, i hope they kept it as close as possible to the original with the whole materia combinations and stuff that was really fun to experiment with. Also, great news that it seems they are far closer to release than i expected.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
dont say that first games name man, shit literally hurts down to the core
Eh... it was one of my most hyped games for me at the time... a watched this trailer so many times...
I have to say that this FFVII have a lot of similarities with it, different playable characters, shooting parts etc... it could be the VSXIII we never got :'0

[and I couldn't care less about FFVII but this version looks really fun and promising, they just need to fix animations that are a bit stiff in combat]

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
While I'm hopeful, I am still a bit scared that other people at SQEX will screw things up. Like, "this is Final Fantasy so we must not go too far into deep action RPG combat territory to make it more approachable for the old school fans" or some such line of thinking bringing it down.

Oh that's definitely something that i expect to happen. They want this to be available to everyone, down to the most casual of casuals. That said, with this person in charge i now expect this to fall between FFXV and KH in terms of ARPG depth, while before i expected it to be XV 2.0 (which is the low end in the spectrum).

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
It looks good. Looking forward and hyped, let's hope for a release date at E3!

I hope this is multi-platform though, this game shouldn't be tied to any exclusivity deals.

Oct 27, 2017
Eh, he was moody and depressed in Advent Children cuz he had space cancer.

He spends the first half of FF7 being more serious and kind of an asshole.
svHOjMo.jpg

I am replaying VII lately and he spends just the first couple hours being an asshole, making cool entrances, acting though.
After the moment Tifa reminds him of the promise he made he is easily convinced into continuining working with Avalanche. By the second mako reactor bombing when they meet President Shinra and he falls into the church he already is much more likeable Cloud, joking with Aerith.

Shazz

The Fallen
Nov 10, 2017
Eh... it was one of my most hyped games for me at the time... a watched this trailer so many times...
I have to say that this FFVII have a lot of similarities with it, different playable characters, shooting parts etc... it could be the VSXIII we never got :'0

[and I couldn't care less about FFVII but this version looks really fun and promising, they just need to fix animations that are a bit stiff in combat]

Oh ik man, like im hyped af for FF7R but the issue is that ive played this game like 4 times and i still want to play it in HD but VSXIII was something new, different and a unique concept which was intriguing. Dont get me wrong i love me some FF7 but the prospect of playing a completely new story with new characters makes me more excited and for reference i like this trailer more

-girgosz-

Aug 16, 2018
Yeah but not at the end, so is the last game going to be by far the biggest with access to everything?

My theory is Episode 1 is a greatly expanded Midgar
Episode 2 is the whole open world right up until Cloud goes missing
And then Episode 3 is the whole open world again, from the point cloud goes missing and meteor shows up, as that seemed like a tonal shift for the entire world in the original. Kind of like a World of (impending) Ruin situation

That doesn't fit at all. Why would they do a whole game in Midgar when that is that is like 1% of the original game. The hard part comes after Midgar. Huge open world. Continents, countless cities, dungeons, huge open areas, huge number of enemy types and bosses . If the first part is Midgar only this game will never be done. If the first part is 40 hour game in Midgar then the second game would be like 100 hours. The first game at the very least should last until the first fight with Jenova and even that is too early.

Diego Renault

Nov 1, 2017
Personally don't know what to think about the combat, i know it will be action rpg, but honestly for me combat is not that important and not what defined FF VII as one of the best games. It was story, cutscenes direction, characters, minigames, secrets to find, really interesting areas to explore.

To me, combat was very important. The combat is the CORE-gameplay-mechanic of the game. It defines the pace and the "feel" of the game. Final Fantasy 7 is a JRPG, that's why it has turn-based combat. That is one of the major things why I like to play it, because... well, I like to play J-RPGS.

Combat makes up for at least 50% - if not more - of all the time you interact with the game. I woud have never played Final Fantasy 7 if I didn't like it's core gameplay mechanics.

Nov 4, 2017
I understand peoples concern with them drastically re-writing characters or butchering parts of the story especially after how disappointing and disjointed FFXV's story was and how un-interesting that games characters were, but people need to remember not only was that game developed by a different team of people but also, the FFVII-R remake team actually have a highley treasured and respected story as a great source of reference.

This isn't going to be like FFVX with rewrites, bizarre omissions and poor storytelling. I expect the Story, acting and direction to be this games highest point even if you're not happy with the game play, battle system or character designs.

Oct 25, 2017
Do people seriously think that FFXV's combat=all real time battle systems?
This looks like it plays nothing like FFXV. KH is a better comparison.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I understand peoples concern with them drastically re-writing characters or butchering parts of the story especially after how disappointing and disjointed FFXV's story was and how un-interesting that games characters were, but people need to remember not only was that game developed by a different team of people but also, the FFVII-R remake team actually have a highley treasured and respected story as a great source of reference.

This isn't going to be like FFVX with rewrites, bizarre omissions and poor storytelling. I expect the Story, acting and direction to be this games highest point even if you're not happy with the game play, battle system or character designs.
Agreed. Remaking a complete story scenario might actually be a blessing for modern Final Fantasy, because they have the whole thing right in front of them and a mandate to not really cut out anything of core importance. Hopefully we have one of the more coherent and complete narratives in a new AAA FF game since.... well.... FFX?

Xmengrey

Banned
Jul 19, 2018
Hey anyone notice this trailer doesn't have the First on PlayStation 4 brand on it?
The E3 Trailer had this
The PSX Trailer had this interesting the State of Play trailer doesn't

Maybe they dropped the timed exclusivity and it will be like FFXIII where it was announced as a PS3 exclusive then it came to Xbox 360.
It's possible the reason why they didn't mention anything about an Xbox or PC version yet is because well this is State of Play and new info would be at E3 so the Xbox/PC/Switch versions could be there.

The trailer is called FFVII Remake Trailer for State of Play so that's probably why we only see the PS4 logo but we don't see First on PlayStation 4 which is interesting.

Maybe it has something to do with the Wal-Mart leak that leaked the Xbox One version of the game, I doubt an Xbox One version of the game would be there if it wasn't coming out very close to each other.

Deleted member 12555

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Have they said the game is getting split up in three episodes specifically, or is that speculation? I'd prefer this to be done in two parts.

Radamammuth

Dec 8, 2017
Just saw the japanese trailer, that Sephiroth line is a bit different. Definitely sounds better in japanese.

Can't get over how good everyone looks. Aerith takes it easily tho

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Have they said the game is getting split up in three episodes specifically, or is that speculation? I'd prefer this to be done in two parts.
They've definitely never said anything. It could well be 2 parts. It could be 5 parts. I think people like me just go on babbling about trilogies since that's been the norm since LotR and Star Wars.

Oct 27, 2017
To me, combat was very important. The combat is the CORE-gameplay-mechanic of the game. It defines the pace and the "feel" of the game. Final Fantasy 7 is a JRPG, that's why it has turn-based combat. That is one of the major things why I like to play it, because... well, I like to play J-RPGS.

Combat makes up for at least 50% - if not more - of all the time you interact with the game. I woud have never played Final Fantasy 7 if I didn't like it's core gameplay mechanics.

To me combat was really not that different from all the Final Fantasy i played before VII. In the end FF VII was so easy, especially disk 1, most of the time you could win the battle by just using the attack command,limits or multiple targets magic and curing when necessary. Materia system was cool, but the combat per se was not that great.

I find SMT and Persona combat to be more tactical, with the advantages and disadvantages you can have if you are not careful just spamming the same attacks over and over.

Last edited:

Deleted member 12555

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They've definitely never said anything. It could well be 2 parts. It could be 5 parts. I think people like me just go on babbling about trilogies since that's been the norm since LotR and Star Wars.

They can probably get away with selling us one game split into 3 full priced parts for sure, so that may be the more likely possibility but I can't say I'm happy if it happens.

And honestly, I think they would have to add a lot to a possible third part to make it feel like it has as much to offer as the other two. But then again I'm thinking of the way discs were split in the original.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Hey anyone notice this trailer doesn't have the First on PlayStation 4 brand on it?
The E3 Trailer had this
The PSX Trailer had this interesting the State of Play trailer doesn't

Maybe they dropped the timed exclusivity and it will be like FFXIII where it was announced as a PS3 exclusive then it came to Xbox 360.
It's possible the reason why they didn't mention anything about an Xbox or PC version yet is because well this is State of Play and new info would be at E3 so the Xbox/PC/Switch versions could be there.

The trailer is called FFVII Remake Trailer for State of Play so that's probably why we only see the PS4 logo but we don't see First on PlayStation 4 which is interesting.

Maybe it has something to do with the Wal-Mart leak that leaked the Xbox One version of the game, I doubt an Xbox One version of the game would be there if it wasn't coming out very close to each other.

Oh it will very likely hit other consoles at some point. The game is simply too big and not financed by Sony to be exclusive. I am thinking though it will definitely be cross gen, so there is that.

Yaqza

Oct 27, 2017
Oh god, brilliant.

On topic: Jesus, FFVII was the first game I played on my PSX. And I've spent hundreds of hours with it, learning English just to play it. It'll be so exciting to return to this world. And I don't mind all the changes they're going to make. The original was published about 22 years ago, right? Yeah, even I would get rid of some of the mechanics (like those irritating random encounters). God, I know it'll sound really cheesy to some of you, but for me it's like meeting a good old friend again.

BTW: even this small reveal is super-popular. It already has almost 1 mln views on the PlayStation YT channel.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They can probably get away with selling us one game split into 3 full priced parts for sure, so that may be the more likely possibility but I can't say I'm happy if it happens.

And honestly, I think they would have to add a lot to a possible third part to make it feel like it has as much to offer as the other two. But then again I'm thinking of the way discs were split in the original.
3rd Disc was basically the last dungeon and ending, wasn't it? Probably safe to just ignore the way it was split into discs (it was split based on amount of FMV, so of course the ending needed nearly a disc by itself).

People in here are speculating that the first episode might just be Midgar. Assuming that, I think Episode II could be the game up until Sephiroth summons Meteor, and Episode III could be the world under siege by Meteor. I think in those scenarios, assuming modern game design, there is more than enough to hang 3 full games around (Again I'm totally guessing at the trilogy thing).

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
Hello next gen launch title.

This went much better than I was expecting, all things considered. The combat looks a little more like Type-0 than XV to me, and yes I'm aware that like 3 people total in this thread probably ever played that so there's not much to debate. The attention to detail in these scenes looks quite faithful to the original, actually. Of course it's not going to be the same, but you can't NOT have the bombing mission as the game opening, for example, and obviously the oddball terrorist buddies are a must.

Fake edit: I welcome my FBI overlords for flagging me based on words in this post.

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
The trailer was incredible and the battle system looks exactly what I was expecting.

Based on the footage shown, it's obvious that they still follow an episodic approach.

Apr 9, 2019
Hope they go easy on the melodrama (easy by Square standards - it'd still be hella melodramatic =P ).

Personally I'm glad to see the turnbased combat gone. I played the classic PSX games and have fond memories of everything - except for the combat =P . By the time I played FF9 I was done with random encounters and turnbased combat.

And let's hope Nobuo Uematsu reinvents some of his most classic tunes in awesome ways!

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
I went to sleep woke up and this is 44 pages, don't tell me there's still salt about why it's not turn based?

I watched the trailer again and the only complaint I have is why show Sephiroth in this way. Like just flashing him on screen killed some of the mystery, even though most people already know who he is.

Remember when you bust out of those jail cells in Shinra HQ, blood trails everywhere, and this thing is playing.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Fall 2020?

lol... the game is clearly almost done, totally January or February next year.
I would never underestimate how long Square Enix's games take to come out.

Think back to the XV marketing cycle. The game re-surfaces in 2013, and we still had 3 years of trailers trickled out after that.

I'm worried that this June is the re-surfacing, and we have longer to wait. It could honestly be 2 years from now and I wouldn't be surprised.

I've seen the hints that Square has a big release this year, and wouldn't it be nice if they shortened their hype cycles and it was coming this year? But the safe bet is never to be optimistic with this company...

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I'm not even thinking about a release date until one is actually announced lmao

Aerith's VA sounds like her VA from Crisis Core, which sounds a bit young skewing for her age here. I do really hope they keep Aerith's spunk from the original instead of the pure maiden she's become since.