• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
... There are so many things wrong with this comparison I don't even know where to begin.
I know they aren't 1:1 the same, but when making any kinds of adaptations, there are some choices to be made and limitations & possibilities those choices bring. It's still just silly to whine about this remake being released in parts. You can't look at what we see in the trailer and still whine about not getting it all in a single package (well, you can if you don't like what you see). This project wouldn't exist in this form if it wasn't for them being able to divide it into parts. It's too big of an undertaking for a single release. It's not just a cynical cash grab. They do, of course, hope to make a whole lot of money but remaking all of FFVII in this style and doing some necessary expanding to meet modern expectations (i.e. a more seamless experience that isn't riddled with loading screens every five steps) is also a very expensive, time-consuming process. If they release 3 x 20-30 hour JRPGs for 60$ each, in the quality seen in the trailer, I don't think that's too unreasonable.

Oct 28, 2017
I highly doubt episode 2 onward would come out for PS4...
Which honestly is gonna be kinda weird. Will episode 1 be only PS4 graphics and the rest of the episodes will be made for PS5 specs, causing a weird discrepancy of the middle and end of the game to look considerably better than the beginning? Or are all episodes being made for PS4 and will receive a resolution increase on PS5 rather than a whole new generation look.

Makoto Yuki

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I bet it's cross gen after episode one. PS4 is a beast, they don't want to lose all those potential sales.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
I know they aren't 1:1 the same, but when making any kinds of adaptations, there are some choices to be made and limitations & possibilities those choices bring. It's still just silly to whine about this remake being released in parts. You can't look at what we see in the trailer and still whine about not getting it all in a single package (well, you can if you don't like what you see). This project wouldn't exist in this form if it wasn't for them being able to divide it into parts. It's too big of an undertaking for a single release. It's not just a cynical cash grab. They do, of course, hope to make a whole lot of money but remaking all of FFVII in this style and doing some necessary expanding to meet modern expectations (i.e. a more seamless experience that isn't riddled with loading screens every five steps) is also a very expensive, time-consuming process. If they release 3 x 20-30 hour JRPGs for 60$ each, in the quality seen in the trailer, I don't think that's too unreasonable.

Carrying a lot of water for a very corporate bullshit excuse for charging you three times (or more?) for one game. There's no reason whatsoever this needs to be multiple parts except they know they can get $180 out of you instead of just $60. If RDR2 can be one game, this can be one game.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
Which honestly is gonna be kinda weird. Will episode 1 be only PS4 graphics and the rest of the episodes will be made for PS5 specs, causing a weird discrepancy of the middle and end of the game to look considerably better than the beginning? Or are all episodes being made for PS4 and will receive a resolution increase on PS5 rather than a whole new generation look.
This is what Kitase said back in 2017
Should the production be prolonged due to being in multiple titles, will the rest of the titles maintain the quality from the first?

Kitase: With the quality line set in place, it's our duty to carry on and protect it until the very end without having any disturbances for the episodes under production. But of course as we advance through the episodes, it'll only be natural to have quality that is fitting for the next generation [of when the episode releases].
https://www.siliconera.com/2017/01/...roducer-progress-might-take-final-fantasy-xv/

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Carrying a lot of water for a very corporate bullshit excuse for charging you three times (or more?) for one game. There's no reason whatsoever this needs to be multiple parts except they know they can get $180 out of you instead of just $60. If RDR2 can be one game, this can be one game.

Did you really compare RS to SE are you high ?
RDR2 was worked on by thousands of people for 7 years .
RDR2 will sell more than all the FFVIIR parts put together and they have online part to also bring in the money .
No one in the industry should get compare to them.

Giever

Oct 25, 2017
People are still complaining about it being a multi-part project? The sheer magnitude of variety of locales you visit in FFVII makes any attempt to realize it in a modern AAA game a gargantuan undertaking. Before you had tons of completely unique areas that could just be rendered via a background or two. Now you need to fully realize those environments in 3D, from all sides, change them to fit the new narrative, and fill them with content befitting a modern AAA game (no just stopping by X town for 5 minutes to check the shop and saying peace out).

Look at modern expansive AAA games like Assassin's Creed Odyssey and Red Dead Redemption 2. So many of the areas in those games make use of repeated assets. If they want to stay true to the variety of the original the developers on Final Fantasy VII Remake can't do that.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
So I guess Naughty Dog also tricked us out of our money by releasing three separate Uncharted games. They should've just taken 4 years longer and release Uncharted 1, 2 and 3 as a single release.

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
People are still complaining about it being a multi-part project? The sheer magnitude of variety of locales you visit in FFVII makes any attempt to realize it in a modern AAA game a gargantuan undertaking. Before you had tons of completely unique areas that could just be rendered via a background or two. Now you need to fully realize those environments in 3D, from all sides, change them to fit the new narrative, and fill them with content befitting a modern AAA game (no just stopping by X town for 5 minutes to check the shop and saying peace out).

Look at modern expansive AAA games like Assassin's Creed Odyssey and Red Dead Redemption 2. So many of the areas in those games make use of repeated assets. If they want to stay true to the variety of the original the developers on Final Fantasy VII Remake can't do that.

InB4 who asked for this to be fully 3D environments.

Vaco6121

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Near Rochester, MN
I don't get the whole multiple episode thing. To me, the remake is going to be the full original FFVII game with story tweaks made due to it incorporating elements from the compilation of FFVII stories that came later. I think the additional episodes are going cover the compilation of FFVII stories.

May 26, 2018
The japanese already complaining about Aerith's face
https://twitter.com/team_todo/status/1126676931263340544

Basically saying, it looks better on the right

1db386fbda.png

It would be unwise to touch the geometry on this model at all. All the models look great, and she stands out from the pack. Seriously. No touch.

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Just wanted to take a moment to thank ZhugeEX for teasing this. It made for one of the most exciting and ultimately satisfying pre-show conversations I've had in a long time and was a fantastic experience all around. One of Era's finest moments, in my opinion. Thanks for not being a scumbag.

Giever

Oct 25, 2017
InB4 who asked for this to be fully 3D environments.
And that's fine and understandable if people aren't happy with that direction, but at that point you're complaining about what the game is, which is distinctly different than saying that the justification for it being a multi-part project is bullshit.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
So it's still multi part? Man I was hoping it had shifted to one title. Sad times. I'll pass until all parts are out.

I think the characters look amazing though.

Glassboy

Oct 27, 2017
Just wanted to take a moment to thank ZhugeEX for teasing this. It made for one of the most exciting and ultimately satisfying pre-show conversations I've had in a long time and was a fantastic experience all around. One of Era's finest moments, in my opinion. Thanks for not being a scumbag.
Yeah I've been hyped ever since his post. Its been a fun few days

Stider

Oct 25, 2017
I will say that I find it funny that people are still complaining about this being multiple games. You have to consider that unlike most games, the setting for VII IS AN ENTIRE WORLD. If they decide to make the entire world explorable with enviroments like XV the it is understandable that it will be over multiple games, not even taking into account all the cities and towns.

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017

This is the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me.

Banzai

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I'm surprised people like the changes to Cloud's model. The slightly weak and sickly model looked more realistic and fit better into the story, I felt.

Giever

Oct 25, 2017
So it's still multi part? Man I was hoping it had shifted to one title. Sad times. I'll pass until all parts are out.

I think the characters look amazing though.
I don't believe it's known that it's still multi-part, but it's the last anyone has heard on it and it's been reiterated numerous times. Probably we'll find out either way at E3, but it would be real weird if they just changed it to being a single game after saying multi-part for 4 years.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
I don't get the whole multiple episode thing. To me, the remake is going to be the full original FFVII game with story tweaks made due to it incorporating elements from the compilation of FFVII stories that came later. I think the additional episodes are going cover the compilation of FFVII stories.

really doubt they'll touch the compilation stuff. maybe a few easter eggs or whatever but this seems its own take on the universe, a "reboot" to use a more loaded term

compilation was a cool idea in the mid 00's but it pretty much came and went. crisis core is arguably the only decent thing that came out of it and like an 1/8th of this game's audience will have played it

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I'm just happy we're going to see more of this before announcing other projects (like the unannounced Final Fantasy XVI). Looks like no corners have been cut.

Neo Hartless

Jan 8, 2019

Which was always the reason I thought this game should never be remade to modern standards. If the devs want to recreate the scope and feel of the original for a modern audience, they're gonna have to change or invest SO MUCH into the project that it could risk becoming something else. And this game is so loved by so many people for so many reasons that even with the best of intentions, at least one part of the original audience is gonna feel alienated. Not to mention that the original game is so much a product of its time, be it in gameplay, aesthetics, theme, game design, tech limitations and inovations and even the state of Square as a company at the time, that I don't think a remake can capture what made the original unique.

So the idea of this game, unless it's an inequivocal masterpiece, always seemed like a losing battle. I hope I'm wrong, but then again, I also hope against hope that this games goes the way of FFXV DLCs so we can be spared what seems to me like a trainwreck.

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
Trailer looked cool. I don't hold FF7 in as much esteem as some here do but it was a good jrpg back in the day. I'm honestly open to whatever they want to do with it as long as it's fun.

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
While I'm excited for this game, I am not excited for the fact that it's going to come to us episodically; meaning that we will get part one this year [or next year] and then have to wait 2 or more years for the second part, then the third...that's just kind of ridiculous. I think I'm just going to wait and buy them all in the inevitable deluxe set that contains all of the discs that make up the complete game experience because that's ridiculous to have to wait 4+ years to play one fucking game in it's entirety.

However I might cave in and just buy each episode, I don't know...

Ghost Slayer

Oct 30, 2017
1557440632-cloud.gif

If you look closer when Aerith attacks enemy, it looks like Barrier cast on it. Potentially, the buff magic not only reduce physical damage but also prevent stagger

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
While I'm excited for this game, I am not excited for the fact that it's going to come to us episodically; meaning that we will get part one this year [or next year] and then have to wait 2 or more years for the second part, then the third...that's just kind of ridiculous. I think I'm just going to wait and buy them all in the inevitable deluxe set that contains all of the discs that make up the complete game experience because that's ridiculous to have to wait 4+ years to play one fucking game in it's entirety.

I think it's "one game" in reference to the 1997 story scenario only. Really this will be 3 (or more) modern games.

It's like waiting for all 3 movies of the Hobbit before you watch it, because you know it's based on one book. Sure, I get it.. you don't want a fraction of the original story. But at the same time it's not like they actually released three 40 minute short films that add up to one normal movie. It's definitely 3 separate full movies that work like a normal trilogy, regardless of what the original book was.

So too will this FF7 experience be 3 full games and waiting for all of them over 2-5 years won't yield "one game" but really a trilogy of games that are too big to chip away at in one experience. It will be like trying to play the Mass Effect trilogy or the FFXIII trilogy in a single marathon. Good luck.

Deleted member 43657

User requested account closure
Banned
May 19, 2018
Not impressed.

- The exchange between Cloud and Aeris at the start is totally off.
- I don't care for the action elements, I'd rather have a turn-based game like the original.
- Midgar doesn't have the personality it does in the original, it looks like any old place.
- That said, the game looks gorgeous, although I'm not too keen on Aeris' in-game model.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK

Exactly my thoughts. I'm guessing it's not exclusive so I could get them on PC but I'd just rather wait until they are all out. I'd be super pissed finishing up midgar and then it's like. Next time on ff7.

Do we even trust square to finish these episodes on time? I sure dont. My interest is pretty much dead if its episodic.

Oct 31, 2017
You guys know that Crisis Core and FFXV were directed by Hajime Tabata, and this game is being directed by Nomura, the guy who directs the Kingdom Hearts games, right?

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like a gameplay mix of KH and FF15? We already knew it was action mostly, so ok.
But the final scene with sephiroth? I don't remember it at all in Midgar... I hope they dont change too much... one of the best thing is the mistery that is around sephiroth in most of the game... you rarely encounter him... he is a legend.
EDIT:
I also like the overall art direction, thye were respectful enough of the original. I dont expect to be 1:1, but for what we can see it's very good.