• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Most of us even back in 2015 were expecting this to be a giant midgar game.

My guess is that this project will look something like this

Game 1 lay the foundation, game design, combat system, all that stuff (Midgar)
Game 2 build the rest of the locations (up to the end of disc 1)
Game 3 Everything else

JustinBailey

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am unsure how I feel about the battles.

The look though - it's pretty ideal. They nailed that part.

The battle music was a bit too repressed for my tastes. I hope they let it pump like it did in the original game. No need to push it into the background.

Lastdancer

Nov 1, 2017
People are looking for ANYTHING to nitpick/hate.

Truth is, game looks fucking amazing. It's blowing their minds, so they are trying to grab any straws they can.

I wouldn't worry too much about that. We all know the actual truth.

It's gotta be this. I have to go with this. what I saw (voice acting aside...) looked really great.; I dunno how anyone can hate on this. Also people who think its the FFXV combat system need to GET THEIR EYES CHECKED.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I'm guessing that cutscenes are pre-rendered, but unlike KH3 the real-time gameplay still seems to maintain the motion blurring.

Edit: actually could be a bigger mix of real-time & pre-rendered like KH3 was. Look at this gif, they seem to be moving from cutscene to gameplay seamlessly, the same way KH3 did.

ThankfulResponsibleHoiho-size_restricted.gif

Hopefully they can reflect weapon/gear changes too.
The majority of KH3's cinematics were realtime as they always reflected keyblade changes. The only CG scenes were the super obvious ones iirc.

Terandle

Oct 27, 2017
This game isn't going to have a world map is it. Probably just cutscene to new locations and the highwind is FFX select from a menu sigh.

furikuri

Oct 28, 2017
Why are you guys complaining about the battle system? It was revealed that it was gonna be an action RPG 4 years ago.

It's either you were hoping it will change to turn based (lol so remaking the remake) or you're not even interested at all when the game was revealed years ago.

Something something press X to win, something something it's just like FFXV, something something turn-based is better.

Trepidation is understandable. This eternal refrain of "it's trash" without anyone having any idea of how the game actually plays (aside from the fact that battles will take place in real time) is just baffling—more so when we've known for years that this wasn't going to play like the original.

GreatBritton

Oct 29, 2017
Is it unsettling to anyone else that all of the trailers so far still have only been from basically the first hour of the game?

Molten_

Oct 28, 2017
no mention of episodes anywhere ... is there hope that they moved back to a singular product?

ULTROS!

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This game isn't going to have a world map is it. Probably just cutscene to new locations and the highwind is FFX select from a menu sigh.

I got a feeling the world won't be as big compared to the original FFVII, probably more similar to DQXI's world map approach which is completely fine. DQXI also had an "airship" and overworld map for that.

Kumomeme

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Malaysia
look great...and really hope the combat is like crisis core

but i still not fans of their 'westernize' character design..although not bad as XV does for Luna, but there trace of it for Aerith,Cloud and Jessie..probably similliar style to Tifa...hope not to Yuffie since she came from Wutai

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, so I wonder if this is using real-time cinematics or if it's "in engine pre-rendered" like KH3 was?

That would be kind of disappointing.

Less than 1% of KH III was pre-rendered, like, 6 or 7 cutscenes were pre-rendered and none of them were key cutscenes to the original story. They can't record everything.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
Wait a minute...

DID THEY CHANGE CLOUD AND SEPHIROTH'S VA?

Caja 117

Oct 25, 2017
I like so much what I just saw, my only real concern is that episodes dont take long to release, I dont want to wait 4 years to finish the game.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
I mean maybe, but this has not really been Square Enix's MO when it comes to big Final Fantasy projects.
That's exactly how SQEX generally markets projects. When they start to ramp up marketing, it's generally around 6-12 months from release. There can be a yearly trailer of some big games, but considering we got this trailer now and they are promising a lot more at E3, this seems more like the kind of beginning of a marketing cycle that leads to release within the next year or so, not just some throwaway trailer to remind people that a project exists.

ULTROS!

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope they show how Jenova will look like soon, she looks like a weird blob in the original game nowadays:
latest

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sweet Jenova that looked amazing. So in! English VA is pretty weak, but then again that's almost a JRPG staple.

Lastdancer

Nov 1, 2017
I got a feeling the world won't be as big compared to the original FFVII, probably more similar to DQXI's world map approach which is completely fine. DQXI also had an "airship" and overworld map for that.

Mm, yeah. In the Remake, I could see them using a cutscene to show the transition between the first departure from Midgar and everyone meeting up at Kalm. Then from there, DQXI style areas from Kalm to the Chocobo Farm, then to the Mythril Mine. Past that, onward to Fort Condor and Junon. Meanwhile we might see Midgar off in the distance while traversing these areas.

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
Why are you guys complaining about the battle system? It was revealed that it was gonna be an action RPG 4 years ago.

It's either you were hoping it will change to turn based (lol so remaking the remake) or you're not even interested at all when the game was revealed years ago.
I wouldn't have minded a hybrid style where you can pause the action and still select commands from a menu. It doesn't need to be a simple choice between ATB or action based. I wasn't expecting anything turn based though. I knew it would be more action orientated. I just dreaded this knowing how god awful Square are at making those kind of battle systems. FFXV proved they have no idea and people sighting KH as some kind of proof otherwise are deluded imo but I guess some people actually like KH's combat.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
D6LEt1_V4AA8WGZ.png:orig

D6LEzkRUYAYUo9R.jpg:orig

Interesting... did they ditch the new clothe design for Sepiroth shown in 2017? The shoulder armor looks similar to the original design in today's trailer....

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just hoping they only want to show the Midgar section and they are much further in development than we think, but don't want to spoil anything from later in the game.

I mean, the fact the trailers show lipsyncing on both languages can prove that they're a lot much further in development that we think they are.

Lastdancer

Nov 1, 2017
Maybe they wanted the Tifa reveal to work as it's own trailer. Just lots of Tifa interactions. Perhaps her new design is significantly different than past iterations?

IzzyRX

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I don't quite get how the combat is supossed to work with this trailer.
I mean, what stops me from playing with Barret/Vincent and shoot everyone and their mother, from a safe distance?

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

I mean, she's in a strange position. She's not important enough to have a bombastic reveal, but she's also not a lesser character enough to have been ignored in the first trailers.
its like the reveal of fighting games characters you create interest for people that wants to see the new design, and tifa is very popular

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People assume its 3 episodes but I can see them going for 4.

1- Midgar
2 - Calm to Northern Crater
3 - Tifa as the main character looking for Cloud + lots of flashbacks to Nibelheim
4 - Everything after Cloud rejoining to the end of the game.

Only issue is the end of disc 1 becomes the 80% mark in part 2 now which maybe is iffy since the end of disc 1 is a perfect climax / break point in the story.

Lastdancer

Nov 1, 2017
I don't quite get how the combat is supossed to work with this trailer.
I mean, what stops me from playing with Barret/Vincent and shoot everyone and their mother, from a safe distance?

Longer TTK due to low sustained DPS versus high burst damage? He also might have a minimum engagement rage so that you can't just pick things off from afar. Maybe that'll change based on weapon?