• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
I get that the turn based combat is a staple of JRPGs and all that but do people not realize that if a lot of those JRPGs had the budget of a Final Fantasy they would take a different approach? The exception being Dragon Quest and Persona 5. The latter doing a better job at it because of its amazing presentation.

Last edited:

Glass Arrows

Jan 10, 2019
Would you say yourself that you prefer the modern structure and mechanics above the classics like Final Fantasy 7 turn based and all?
I don't necessarily think modern FF is great, and I think it's valid to want an improved turn-based system instead of action, but the turn-based FF games for the most part had some of the weakest turn-based combat of any mainline JRPG franchise. It has nothing to do with why those games are good. It doesn't deserve to get stanned the way it does, IMO.

Niks

Oct 25, 2017
Of course this is coming to xbox.

The question is when (with next gen xbox just around the corner)

Jakartalado

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
This is quite insane yeah. Nothing touches this on a technical or artistic level.

I am also amazed at how SE completely fixed the hair dithering problem that was there since FF13.

I just wish the Voice Acting would match this visual beauty.

This is a completely different engine. Unreal engine is way much friendlier than a custom built engine in terms of anti aliasing.

See Days Gone as a reference in the screenshot thread. Even Hellblade looks phenomenal in the hair department.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Okay, so you just changed your entire story. My post said it was coming to Xbox eventually and you said it had no chance.
Show me where I said it had no chance? I didn't say that. I said I'm not sure it'll happen! It may but i wouldn't risk my own neck for it because I'm not sure. I think there's a higher chance of it coming to pc and switch (downgrades) than it does Xbox but I never said it had "no chance". You just won't see me betting my own money in favor of it.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
That's kinda the thing about localizations, they can flat out "make stuff up" but for the most part they have to work with what the original material gives them. I don't remember where he said this, but I think Alex O Smith said that if there are big problems in the original text you can only work around them so much.

I don't think it's a coincidence that Matsuno helmed games have consistently high quality localizations.
Yep, there's only so much you can do to work around mocap actors being forced to convey this anime ass body language.
jfUDAhj.gif

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
It was definitely a lot more than color grading. Color grading doesn't drastically reduce polycount, SSS quality, and PP quality.
polycount is the same, check elbows, really the color grading & choice of lighting is just fucked. i think it might have been due to HDR being a factor & them hastily changing shit up to try & make the HDR pop more, got to sell them PS4 Pro's after all.

feyder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sigh

This just doesn't look good to me at all. At least the original isn't going anywhere.

Dymaxion

Sep 19, 2018
The best thing they can do to get me excited for this is to announce the game is one complete product. As cool as it looks, I'm not interested in buying it in pieces.

DmckPower

Feb 1, 2018

Glass Arrows

Jan 10, 2019
Were they all the celebrities from Advent Children? For famous actors, they sure can't voice act. It's almost as if it's not the same thing as live acting.
George Newbern can act just fine, he was a good Superman (though it took a little while for him to adjust to the role). Not sure about Steve Burton or Mena Suvari since I've only ever seen them in FF7 stuff.

And let's be honest, there's pretty much no way to make lines like "dilly dally shilly shally" and "There's nothing I don't cherish!" sound good.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
polycount is the same, check elbows,
Literally look at her dress...thing is, FFXV the final game never looked like this trailer:

Like it's not just model complexity but stuff like fields worth of ox and stuff.

The specific shot in question is here:

They were going ham but had to heavily cut back afterwards.
Did they change Cloud's face design? He looks more.. human now.
Yes. Nomura had said that they changed Cloud's look after the first trailer and that he was excited for people to see it.

Last edited:

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
George Newbern can act just fine, he was a good Superman (though it took a little while for him to adjust to the role). Not sure about Steve Burton or Mena Suvari since I've only ever seen them in FF7 stuff.

And let's be honest, there's pretty much no way to make lines like "dilly dally shilly shally" and "There's nothing I don't cherish!" sound good.
"There's nothing I don't cherish!" better be the trophy name for when you unlock Omni-Slash.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly it's amazing how well the scenery in the original game holds up, aesthetically.

5uCyz4N.gif
rdgKCvn.jpg
NMKIN_5a.png
KKNM268.gif

I guess many will disagree, but the scenery in this FF7R trailer looks like indistinct whatever to me. I was reminded of the blander areas of DMCV.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
few things.

1. The end of the State of Play mentions that this will reinvision one of the most beloved games of all time for this generation.

2. Nomura mentions on Twitter through FF twitter that the plans up to the run through launch are all planned. More to be revealed next month. Even mentioning the word launch in a message... is unique. Compared to please wait for more because we need more time or in development.

I think this is coming out in spring or summer 2020. Or even late winter Jan or Feb 2020. Before the next generation begins.

Oct 25, 2017
People went from "can't wait to see this game again in 2026" to "FF15 combat? This game's gonna suck" lol, people can be pathetic at times.

People are looking for ANYTHING to nitpick/hate.

Truth is, game looks fucking amazing. It's blowing their minds, so they are trying to grab any straws they can.

I wouldn't worry too much about that. We all know the actual truth.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
jXMyeoQ.png

H8QYZ6n.jpg

PCut8Po.png

it's probably because of the lighting condition but scenes from today's trailer you can see Barret's eyes much clearer..

Talus

Banned
Dec 9, 2017
Hmm, so I wonder if this is using real-time cinematics or if it's "in engine pre-rendered" like KH3 was?

That would be kind of disappointing.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
made lots of gifs:
Aerith start:
CraftyScrawnyAmericanbittern-size_restricted.gif

Cloud first fight
ThankfulResponsibleHoiho-size_restricted.gif

AVALANCHE
AjarGiddyBear-size_restricted.gif

AnySecondaryDoe-size_restricted.gif

Cloud + Aerith
ThankfulRegalKitty-size_restricted.gif

SEWERS + APS
SardonicWavyLeech-size_restricted.gif

Fights
GracefulCelebratedConey-size_restricted.gif
EasygoingCalmLadybird-size_restricted.gif

Big Shot
ArcticScratchyFoxhound-size_restricted.gif

Cross Slash
CostlyFeminineFattaileddunnart-size_restricted.gif

Moving outside battles or cutscenes
LoathsomeAdorableIberianmidwifetoad-size_restricted.gif

Attack while it's tail is up!
MedicalWhisperedCondor-size_restricted.gif

Cloud + Sephiroth
BlaringNaturalHatchetfish-size_restricted.gif

AzureFlame

Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait
Was there a lot of versatility? I didn't care much for XV, and haven't played KH. I'm hoping they can somehow utilize materia but I have a hard time understanding how they will in an action focused game. I'm not upset that it's not turn based, I just want something rewarding.

You have to wait to know more, I'm sure it won't be exactly like KH.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
For sure. I mean if this were still a top-down JRPG, it wouldn't read as weirdly. The perspective would obfuscate any awkwardness. Persona 5 has some awkward lines here or there, but it all atleast plays no differently than an anime. But Square has pushed their production values to crazy degrees, and so to see these really lovingly crafted character models act and respond in ways that just don't read at all as humanistic, it never feels right.

Kingdom Hearts was its own problems, because there are so many awful lines there that just never should leave Goofy's mouth, nor from most of the familiar characters that the series uses.

I just don't know how they haven't gotten better at this. How does Capcom update Resident Evil 2 in a way that is still appropriately campy, but atleast reads as believably human? How does Mortal Kombat of all franchises tell a genuinely compelling and sympathetic story about past Johnny Cage meeting current Johnny Cage? And this is the game that has the black mark of having shitbag person and awful actress Ronda Rousy ruining almost every line she speaks.

So much of what Square built its name on was these expansive JRPG stories. It's crazy they haven't evolved in that department.

Issues like this are probably why basically no other JRPGs right now have realistic graphics. They are anime, so they look like anime. This is why some people on the old forum suggested FF7R should've gone the "Pillars of Eternity route" and just stuck to 2D with HD backgrounds, or had 3D cel-shaded graphics closer to the original concept art. But for years and years now fans have wanted the idea of a playable Advent Children.

As for the other games, Resident Evil to begin with wasn't inspired by anime, it was inspired by Romero and some Japanese horror movies. Mortal Kombat is like a comic book version of Enter the Dragon and Bloodsport.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Characters look great but I really don't like their voices. Gameplay has me worried but I'm there day 1 regardless. Lol

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
People are looking for ANYTHING to nitpick/hate.

Truth is, game looks fucking amazing. It's blowing their minds, so they are trying to grab any straws they can.

I wouldn't worry too much about that. We all know the actual truth.
After 1 min of footage i wouldn't say it's amazing, we still don't know if it's going to transition into an open world & many other details.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
I guess many will disagree, but the scenery in this FF7R trailer looks like indistinct whatever to me. I was reminded of the blander areas of DMCV.
For some reason, pre-rendered areas looks always more memorable, and the artistic touch is more noticeable. Even if you can reproduce EXACTLY the screenshots you posted in a 3D environment, most of the time you'll be looking at grey walls and metallic columns. It's hard to fully show the scenario details when the player can move the camera, compared to a pre-rendered background. I don't like that much fixated cameras, but I can't deny the artistic tricks they allow.

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Dilly dally shilly shally was a really odd choice by whoever localized it. The original phrase used meant that he was drifting further and further away. It's not often literal translations without any massaging are better, but damn, IDK what they were thinking.