• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
How to beat Fat Chocobo in a little over a minute (without Limit Break)

You could probably Arcane Ward and just use Firaga with all 3 party members and do the same thing. Lots of options.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone explain to me what's going on in the train graveyard chapter? Why is ghost Marlene there? What is aeriths flashback to her childhood about? What are the ghosts about in general? Are they helpful or dangerous? Were they just being manipulated by the final boss ghost?

Does aerith seeing Marlines ghost there have a connection to the later chapter where she meets her at 7th heaven and something weird happens when they touch? Does it also connect to Marline telling barrett that aerith is special or whatever when he is about to leave and rescue aerith?

Maybe it was tifa who saw ghost Marline at the train graveyard and I'm miss remembering actually...

I think I grasp most of the story but these plot points really confuse me?
Aerith's flashback to playing hide and seek might be related to that novella that got posted to the last thread. It's about a guy who was used to play with Aerith when she was in captivity, and hide and seek was one of the games they'd play.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I still think they should adapt the huge materia plot for part 2 instead. I never liked that part of the original game. It always felt out of place and dumb to me. Why would the party try to stop something that had a decent chance of stopping meteor? I think Shinra instead should be planning to use it as a weapon of mass destruction against Wutai. The story of part 2 takes you past Junon, Fort Condor and Corel, which are the known origins of three of the huge materia. We also go through Gongaga and Nibelheim, one of which is likely where the fourth huge materia is from

The way I see it, Shinra would be planning to launch the rocket in Rocket town against Wutai. And your introduction to Cid will be trying to stop that plan by going on the rocket. So you adapt the space travel bit for part 2 as well. Then, finally, the party crashes the rocket (after successfully disarming it) in Wutai, and Yuffie uses the confusion in the aftermath of the crash to steal all the huge materia. Then the game ends with a big confrontation in Wutai where all the different factions clash

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Is the theme song a cover version from another song? It sounds familiar.
Unless Uematsu ripped off another song, no. Here are the credits:

『Hollow』
  • Music:Nobuo Uematsu
  • Vocals:Yosh (Survive Said The Prophet)
  • Lyrics:Kazushige Nojima
  • Lyrics Translation:Ben Sabin, John Crow
  • Arrangement & Synthesizer Programming:Kenichiro Fukui

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
Aerith's flashback to playing hide and seek might be related to that novella that got posted to the last thread. It's about a guy who was used to play with Aerith when she was in captivity, and hide and seek was one of the games they'd play.

Cool, I'll try to find that then.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the Gotdamnring breaks the game hard, you can see how pivotal it is to that strat for filling up pressure real quick. The berserk ring also adds a lot of damage.

Mimosa

Community & Social Media Manager
Verified
Oct 23, 2019
Okay y'all I'm playing the OG and I might rustle some jimmies but

I'm pretty happy with all the story changes/possible changes in the remake so far?

I'm only at Costa del Sol, so I've got a while to go, but the characters' personalities and general chemistry is pretty barebones. I imagine it will grow as it goes on, and that it's partially due to the lackluster localization which can make things confusing, but I'm even more impressed with how they were able to iterate on so many things from the source material so far.

Also, the game design thankfully changed a lot. There are a lot of just really odd design choices that are unclear and just a pain (catching chocobos - i did the save skip hack for the giant snake thing, hiding from the guards in the Shinra building, the freakin MARCHING minigame, giving a little girl CPR), as well as what to do next being...not clear either. For example, I missed Hojo chillin on the beach (which wtf, how are they gonna adapt that lmao) because i rested at an in and so was confused as to where my party was and what those random ppl on the beach were talking about.

Anyhoo, I'm interested in where the story will go and I wanna get eventual references when Part 2 comes out so I continue. But as someone playing this without nostalgia goggles...I'm even more impressed by the Remake.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
So when is the best chapter do to the bahamut battle simulation? I'm doing my hardmode playthrough now and I'm up to chapter 16 and I havnt knocked it out yet. I was thinking about going back to chapter 14 and doing it on normal mode. As far as I can tell chapter 14 has the shortest lead time to being able to get to chadley. I just dont want to wait until after I beat them game and then go back because I want to actually use the summon at some point just to see it in all of its glory.

Any advice?

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
So when is the best chapter do to the bahamut battle simulation? I'm doing my hardmode playthrough now and I'm up to chapter 16 and I havnt knocked it out yet. I was thinking about going back to chapter 14 and doing it on normal mode. As far as I can tell chapter 14 has the shortest lead time to being able to get to chadley. I just dont want to wait until after I beat them game and then go back because I want to actually use the summon at some point just to see it in all of its glory.

Any advice?
i did it in chapter 14 on my hard mode run

i mastered revival materia during chapter 13 of that run, so that was just the natural time to do it for me

Toth

Oct 26, 2017
BTW I wish we had some kind of post release plans from SE released by now, especially since it's been about a month. I know COVId-19 is slowing things down but a simple press release would be great. Info about patches and maybe extra content would be great considering the success of the title.

Cynical me though feels any dlc would not come till its timed release ends.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018

Any advice?

You said the answer. Go to chapter 14. It takes like...5 minutes maybe to get to Chadley. And if you haven't done all of the VR missions they are right there. Bench nearby and a vending machine.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
i did it in chapter 14 on my hard mode run

i mastered revival materia during chapter 13 of that run, so that was just the natural time to do it for me

How difficult was it to do on hard mode? I gave the fight a couple tries but couldnt work out a solid strategy for taking it down.

You said the answer. Go to chapter 14. It takes like...5 minutes maybe to get to Chadley. And if you haven't done all of the VR missions they are right there. Bench nearby and a vending machine.

Ok, that's deffinitly where I will try it then, thanks.

Ebnas

May 15, 2019
Unless Uematsu ripped off another song, no. Here are the credits:

『Hollow』
  • Music:Nobuo Uematsu
  • Vocals:Yosh (Survive Said The Prophet)
  • Lyrics:Kazushige Nojima
  • Lyrics Translation:Ben Sabin, John Crow
  • Arrangement & Synthesizer Programming:Kenichiro Fukui

Is the theme song a cover version from another song? It sounds familiar.

The guitar and harmonicas kinda remind me of this track.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
NPCs I want to come back in the follow up is Johnny and Chadley. I just need more of them as this recurring role. Like Chocobos and Moogles.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
NPCs I want to come back in the follow up is Johnny and Chadley. I just need more of them as this recurring role. Like Chocobos and Moogles.

Johnny shows up again in Costa del Sol in the original

Speaking of Costa del Sol. Better have this scene
tail.jpg

Costa del Sol would also be a good place to follow up on Aerith and Tifa's shopping plans. Have them try on and buy swimwear and other beach stuff and they tease Cloud about how he needs to wait until they go to the beach to see the swimsuits and has to wait outside the store then carry what they bought to the hotel

Last edited:

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017

In the original Johnny (spoilering just in case)
settles up in Costa del Sol and has new dialogue in some spots during the game, where he gets a girlfriend, and later proposes to her.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Johnny shows up again in Costa del Sol in the original

Speaking of Costa del Sol. Better have this scene
tail.jpg

Costa del Sol would also be a good place to follow up on Aerith and Tifa's shopping plans. Have them try on and buy swimwear and other beach stuff and they tease Cloud about how he needs to wait until they go to the beach to see the swimsuits and has to wait outside the store then carry what they bought to the hotel

Johnny really grew on me. His whole aniki dialog was so sincere.
In the original Johnny (spoilering just in case)
settles up in Costa del Sol and has new dialogue in some spots during the game, where he gets a girlfriend, and later proposes to her.

Honestly, it's been so long, I didn't even remember Johnny was in the OG at all until Remake. But that's great. So now we need Chadley back as the Materia guy for the follow-up considering he does have an arc in this game. I really loved how he had his own story.

Makoto Yuki

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I'm thinking 4 parts. And Zack saves Aerith some how, like he stops Sephiroth from stabbing her but is stabbed in the process. And Aeith dies later because she has to go in the life stream with the white Materia. So same exact story just done differently.

Also crazy motor cycle man is 2nd class next game, 1st class the third game, and he gives up and helps save the planet in the final game.

Jessie comes back somehow, Biggs get's robo limbs, Wedge also comes back somehow. Though they all help in Midgar's raid when you fight Proud Clod.

Chaos is mentioned as well as Grimoire, Deepground. All that stuff will be included in an organic fashion when you meet Vincent.

I'm more curious as to how they implement optional areas like Wutai, you didn't have to go there. Or Gongaga. If they implement them at all.

ekka4shiki

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 31, 2017
I previously thought Leslie and Kyrie Canaan were new addition to FFVIIR. But then, turned out both were already established characters from a spin-off novel in 2011. Interesting. Kinda want more Kyrie on next part because she was voiced by Sumippe, but probably slim chance.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
I previously thought Leslie and Kyrie Canaan were new addition to FFVIIR. But then, turned out both were already established characters from a spin-off novel in 2011. Interesting. Kinda want more Kyrie on next part because she was voiced by Sumippe, but probably slim chance.

Her English VA is the same as Ann in P5. So the fact that her grandma is a thief with calling cards was truly funny to me. Nice casting choice.

Makoto Yuki

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
How do you think they will handle the transition from this game to the next?

Will we transfer data and start with with all our gear, items, abilities and level in the next game?

Imagine leaving Midgar and fighting level 50 squirrels.

Or will they make up something dumb where we lose our levels and equipment?

Also, will it be more open? Consdering this is the part where we get to the world map. Unless they just start us at Kalm and use Cloud's Flashback as a tutorial.

ekka4shiki

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 31, 2017
Her English VA is the same as Ann in P5. So the fact that her grandma is a thief with calling cards was truly funny to me. Nice casting choice.

lol, that's a funny nod, indeed.

Will we transfer data and start with with all our gear, items, abilities and level in the next game?

Also, will it be more open? Consdering this is the part where we get to the world map. Unless they just start us at Kalm and use Cloud's Flashback as a tutorial.

I'm hoping they just go with level 50-100 for the next game. But... considering they may introduce some new feature on the battle system and weapon upgrades (can't just used the same system coz that'll be boring), I think they will nerf us in someway.

Last edited:

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017

You've got to be able to keep your levels and gear and everything after each game surely. The numbers can easily increase to however high they want, level 50 to 100, and so on and higher with each game. And the damage should be able to go way beyond 9999 into and beyond the millions and billions. I will be really disappointed if they just reset things with every game.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018

When it comes to the world, they've definitely acknowledged (in the Ultimania magazine) that they would have to tackle on it differently considering how linear Midgar is in comparison. So there's at least that.

One of the things I'm most excited for regarding Part 2 is the variety of towns, the opportunity of having big, non-corridor connecting areas and the combat and enemy respawn shining more.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Any cool tidbits from the Ultimania about Roche? Excited to see if they're actually bringing him back in the future.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017

It really amuses me how much shipping content can be found in the remake, especially given how troublesome the shipping discussions in FF7 get. This one was a neat surprise.

benhan

Oct 30, 2017
Finally I finished the game and after a few days of reflection, I think this ending and the insert of Whispers to the story actually honored the original FF7. This story happened in alternate timeline of the OG. Which means it's a new story in a new timeline and they left the OG story unaltered. Just like the gameplay, they set cleverly the foundation for the new story here, to kill the Whispers so they can have more freedom in the next parts of REMAKE (without complaints from OG fans), to deviate from the OG freely, and thus in my opinion the next parts will most likely be open world or semi open world with a lot of freedom in travelling and choosing your own paths.

In the Ultimania interview, quoting Nomura on the two meanings of REMAKE:

Nomura: I am the one who decided on the title "Remake," but there are two meanings to the title. The first being that we wanted to quell the doubt that arised when we first announced that we were doing a remake. When the first trailer was released, there were people who weren't sure if this installment of FFVII was merely a remaster or an actual remake, which made them worry. When we revealed the trailer at E3 in 2015, the reactions were as I expected, with some even asking if this was going to be a movie. That's why I decided to clearly express to those with doubt that this is a complete remake of the original with the title "Remake" as well. In regards to the other meaning to the word "Remake," well, I can't answer that right now. Ask me again in a couple of years (laughs).

They didn't want to create the same FF7 with the same story. If it's the same story, changing some parts of the story will always create controversies among the fans.
They want this to be a new story, with freedom for the creators and for the players. In chapter 18, Destiny's crossroads, Tifa asked, "What we will find on the other side?"
Aerith answered, "Freedom."
By killing the Whispers, they created a new timeline, for Zack (in the past), for Cloud and co (in the present)... and presented the creators and players the freedom for next parts of the game.

The Zack's scene was there to emphasize on alternate timeline and possibility of new endings for REMAKE.
Aerith might be the one from the OG timeline. That's why she said some strange words to Cloud (you can't fall in love with me) and she can know about Marlene, Sephiroth, etc that she should not have known before. She knew the future because she was from there. Cloud can't touch her in the flower garden, while Cloud can touch Tifa... One as a dream, one as reality.
In this case, REMAKE is more like a sequel to the OG.

Nojima: Aerith is the utmost important person in the FFVII Remake, and I was very careful with her lines. Each and every part of her carries a great meaning throughout the story, and I used that premise to write her character.

I'm very excited to see how they are taking us to the next parts of the story with the Freedom provided by this installment of REMAKE. I hope they can be bold while keeping the story simple, without over-complicated plot like KH. By cutting ties with the OG, they can now create new plots in the same universe. The ending of the OG was pretty bad anyway.
If the foundation of REMAKE is this good, then the best is yet to come.

Last but not least:
Nomura: The original and the Remake are two separate entities. So even if you play FFVII Remake, I would also like you to play the FFVII original game afterwards as well.

I hope people can start seeing REMAKE this way, so we can enjoy this game and the next installments better without comparing it to FF7 OG, a master-piece that deserves to be left untouched.

Thewonandonly

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Utah
Question, what do I gotta do to get most the lore of FF7. I'm going to play the original first because duh haha but after that I only know what advert children and that's a movie right? I'm willing to play games and watches shows but I don't think I'll read a FF7 book unless it's like mind blowing.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Question, what do I gotta do to get most the lore of FF7. I'm going to play the original first because duh haha but after that I only know what advert children and that's a movie right? I'm willing to play games and watches shows but I don't think I'll read a FF7 book unless it's like mind blowing.
Play OG. Play Crisis Core (Prequel to OG). Watch AC Complete (Movie sequel to OG). You can watch the On the Way to a Smile anime OVA (its like 30 minutes I think) if you want Denzel's (a kid that a main character couple adopts) story which is best watched after AC (it comes with AC Complete Blu-Ray). I think that covers most of what you need without having to actually read stuff outside of reading E-mails in CC.

There's also an anime OVA called Last Order that is a bit redundant if you play OG and CC and I think the only way to get it is via fan-sub.

Thewonandonly

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Utah
Play OG. Play Crisis Core (Prequel to OG). Watch AC Complete (Movie sequel to OG). You can watch the On the Way to a Smile anime OVA (its like 30 minutes I think) if you want Denzel's (a kid that a main character couple adopts) story which is best watched after AC (it comes with AC Complete Blu-Ray). I think that covers most of what you need without having to actually read stuff outside of reading E-mails in CC.

There's also an anime OVA called Last Order that is a bit redundant if you play OG and CC and I think the only way to get it is via fan-sub.
Sweet sounds like I'm in for a ride here and I can't wait. Thank you 🙂

Space Lion

Banned
May 24, 2019
I can't believe they managed to replicate the feeling of "what happens next" of the original ending. The originals ending got people talking about it and analyzing it on the internet for years. And somehow, some way they manage to fucking do it again. I can't believe it. What a godlike decision. The ending to FFVIIR is fucking genius.

sonicmj1

Oct 25, 2017
The characters care about replacing the whispers' will with their own because they want to be in charge of their own destiny. Think about Barret's comments about being destined for a bleak future, or Aerith having premonitions about the future but only vaguely understanding why. They don't know exactly what will happen; they just know it could be bad, and they want to have agency to avoid it. I think that's the emotional thrust behind their unity in overcoming these whispers - whispers that sometimes help and sometimes hinder but that are ultimately depriving them of deciding their own destiny.
The party knows that the whispers will at least sacrifice 50k people to be crushed under a plate, if that is destiny's chosen course. They are dipicted as time janitors. The souls of those that were and are to come keeping history on course. For me as soon as the whispers let Rude drop the plate, I knew they had to go. Plus they didn't now they were going to be fighting a Weapon until they went through the portal, chasing Sephiroth. And each had their reasons for wanting to do that.
This is not really how that decision plays out for the characters, beyond Barret's line about spitting in destiny's eye. Aerith tells everyone they have to do this to stop Sephiroth, who is the biggest threat to the planet, and everyone else goes along with it because they trust her, even if they find the concept really strange.

Given how Chapter 12 plays out, I would entirely understand it if the characters resented the Whispers. They don't seem to, though, because throughout the game they act arbitrarily to both hinder and help them for reasons that don't make sense to the characters. They prevent Aerith's capture at the hands of the Turks early on, and as I mentioned previously, they saved Barret from fatal events twice mere minutes before this cutscene. In the immediate aftermath of the plate falling, they blame themselves or Shinra, not God the Whispers. They've been incredibly fortunate, as Barret recognizes in Chapter 15; they should be dead a dozen times over given what they've gone through. They don't feel like antagonists in that way, and they aren't perceived that way by the cast until that very point.

During Chapter 12, Wedge panics when the guards refuse to open the gate and allow Sector 7 people to evacuate, telling Aerith he feels powerless to change things. Aerith (hiding things, but supportive) tells him not to give up, that regardless of how things turn out, she doesn't want to regret having not done as much as she could. This pep talk motivates Wedge to redouble his efforts, which ultimately save lives. That's on the actions and the choices of individuals, not on some outside Will of the Planet.

As often as the Whispers appear, they're not motivating anyone. The characters care about their friends, about the planet, about what Shinra has done to them, about (I guess?) the weird powerful creature in a test tube that just escaped. These ghosts aren't something the characters seem to care about, and even for Aerith fighting them is a nebulous means to the end of stopping Sephiroth. If it's not important to the characters, it's hard for me to buy in.

Last edited:

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
One of my favorite scenes is when they were in Corneo's dungeon. Tifa's performance was amazing. The English VA did such a good job sounding legit confused and very cute. Man,. the localization team was so good.