• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rods

May 1, 2020
Kitase backtracks a little on The Guardian interview.

On the ending: will future instalments veer away from the original Final Fantasy VII's story?

Kitase: I am not able to tell you the answer to that now. I understand that there is a lot of speculation among the fans; that is what we wanted and we've really enjoyed seeing these theories and guesses of what the ending means. We wanted the fans to keep the discussion going on social media and keep their excitement high as we head towards the next game.

What did you hope to achieve by expanding the city of Midgar for the remake?

Kitase: When we began working on the Remake project, I went back to the original game and played it again, and the sections of Midgar were far shorter than I remembered from memory. I did feel that the Shinra company executives and the Turks who will appear again in later parts of the story needed to be portrayed in greater detail, the same way as the three members of Avalanche.

Our vision was to dive much deeper into the world and its characters than ever before. In doing this we have expanded upon the eclectic city of Midgar, building upon the structure of the city, and showing the lives of the residents in greater detail ... I loved being able to show the city of Midgar and its unique structure in full 3D. The technical limits of the original game fixed the camera to a top-down view, but in the remake you can move through it like never before. The sense of immense weight and oppression that you get when looking up from the slums really allows you to experience the feeling that the slum-dwellers get from living there first-hand.

Were there any new ideas for Midgar that you tried, but eventually rejected?

Hamaguchi: Final Fantasy VII Remake contains many mini-games that pay homage to the original, and there was one that I really wanted to include, but ultimately I was not able to do so. Fans might remember the basketball shooting mini-game in the Gold Saucer, but we also put a basketball hoop in the park that you find on the way to Jesse's family home in the slums, and I wanted to make it playable there, too. However, we felt that the noise of rebounding basketballs really did not work with the atmosphere at that point in the story, when the team were moving covertly in the dead of night, so we removed it. We still wanted to leave a little homage in there though, so we left an abandoned basketball.

There has been much speculation about the significance of Cloud's visions of Sephiroth. What can you say about their relationship?

Kitase: In the original game, Sephiroth did not make an appearance in the section of the story told here, but we changed it to have him appear from the start, in order to position him playing an important role over the whole of the Remake project. Sephiroth plays a major part in the ongoing story of the next game, so I am unable to reveal any more information about him here. However, seeing this kind of lively debate between fans on social media gives us huge motivation for the next instalment.

What was your approach to remaking the game's iconic cutscenes?

Hamaguchi: There were various hardware limitations on the original Final Fantasy VII, meaning that the way the characters expressed themselves had to be stylised and overexaggerated in order to communicate their emotions. With the remake there is naturally a voice-over for the dialogue, and we are able to portray characters' emotions in a more realistic manner, allowing us to communicate without resorting to dialogue.

[But] portraying character emotions through cutscenes is already done in film, and the biggest new challenge that we took on with Final Fantasy VII Remake was to foreshadow and frame the protagonists' emotional states through the gameplay experience as well. For example, the depiction of the devastation in Sector 8 after the Mako Reactor 1 bombing mission was important in conveying the internal strife that the characters were experiencing towards their actions, and all the dialogue spoken by NPCs [non-player characters] in that section served to create the right atmosphere for later story developments.

How has the Covid-19 pandemic affected the game's release and ongoing development?

Kitase: I am pained and saddened to see so many people around the world suffering with the virus and even losing their lives. When we set the release date for the game, nobody could have predicted a global pandemic like this, and the release of the game happening during this unprecedented situation has blindsided us.

At this current time, the team are still making the next game via remote working. Our performance will temporarily drop below 100% efficiency because of this, but I do not think there should be a big impact in the long term. I sincerely hope that Final Fantasy VII Remake can provide those who are forced to endure the stress of living under lockdown a moment of relief and enjoyment in these trying times.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
This really feels like SE was worried that people wouldn't care about FFVII Remake after the first part so they made the ending as ambiguous as they could. "Speculation for everyone"

Nice to hear them confirm that they are already working on the next one.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Kitase is probably the most likely to push for changes (to the detriment of the game imo).

I was right that they'd be happy about the controversy and theorizing though. I just hope they don't take it as needing to change the story just to keep people arguing over what will happen next.

Sephiroth playing a major part in the next game makes sense as he's the reason the party is traveling the world and he has some big moments in the Nibelheim flashback right at the start. I wonder if they'll fit Temple of the Ancients.

Ebnas

May 15, 2019
Who is controlling this Jenova though, and if it is the original timeline one, why did he/Jenova try and kill Barret? I guess I feel like the unknown Sephiroth is the one doing all of this.

I think the Jenova clone tried to kill Barret simply because he was there, when he shouldn't be. Remember that Jenova then immediately turns into Dreamweaver and tries to kill everyone else too. It's a consequence of the rippling changes that the Plot Ghosts immediately rectify.

Rods

May 1, 2020
Another Interview with Kitase and Hamaguchi.

www.hollywoodreporter.com

Inside the ‘Final Fantasy VII Remake’ Team’s “Familiar Yet New” Adaptation of a Classic

Producer Yoshinori Kitase and co-director Naoki Hamaguchi talk about bringing Cloud Strife and his fellow Avalanche allies to life for a new generation of video gamers.

This game has a few major departures from the original. How did you decide what areas and characters should be expanded upon and what moments should stay the same?

Naoki Hamaguchi
: There are many aspects that are somewhat departures from the original, but we aimed to deliver a game experience that players would find "familiar yet new" rather than "completely new." We wanted to not have to cut away from the characters as much as in the original game, where you would really be traversing across fixed screens, rather than areas. By filling in these gaps, and making the traversal more realistic, we really wanted to create a deeper level of immersion, and of course that gives us more time and moments with the characters.

"Paying homage to the source material" served as a basis, but the original game is over 20 years old and the way in which many aspects were depicted back then could seem either outdated or unsuitable for this day and age. As such, there are many locations in which we challenged ourselves to largely "remake" the presentation while maintaining the essence of the original. This includes Wall Market, the Train Graveyard, and the Sector 7 Pillar; we took areas that could not be fully expressed back then and focused on reimagining those locations.

Are there any sections of the original that were deemed "sacred" and not subject to change?

Yoshinori Kitase:
We didn't lay out any rules in particular, but maintaining "elements that remain in the memories of our fans" is an understanding shared among the entire team that worked on the game.

The Honeybee Inn section of the game has been lauded for how it was handled. Was this a particularly challenging subject to approach given cultural differences between the late 1990s and today? How did you approach updating this section of the game?

Hamaguchi:
From an ethical perspective, it's true that we need to be more mindful in our portrayal compared to the time of the original release. Therefore, we decided to largely reimagine the events that unfold throughout Wall Market, including Honeybee Inn. We felt, let's make it highly entertaining and increase the showbiz aspect of the setting. The French Moulin Rouge and Japanese burlesques served as reference material as we worked to enhance the Honeybee Inn through the dance battle. In essence, we're paying homage to the enchantment of Wall Market, so I believe we were able to make the area feel familiar yet new, rather than a departure from the source material.

Sephiroth has a significantly expanded role in the Midgar section of the narrative. Why did you decide to give him more screen time earlier on than in the original?

Kitase:
It goes without saying that nobody knew how the FFVII story would unfold at the time of the original release. In order to heighten the threat of Sephiroth, the antagonist, we made a conscious decision to not show Sephiroth toward the first half of the game. This approach is similar to the storytelling found in mystery novels seeking out the culprit, and it's also a production approach taken by the movie Jaws to heighten the looming threat. However, with FFVII Remake, we knew that many fans were already familiar with Sephiroth and we determined the same approach to production wouldn't be as meaningful. Instead, we wanted to make it clear that his presence as a source of threat is one that dominates throughout the Remake project, and landed on the direction of having him appear from the beginning in a manner that would leave a lasting impression.

Red XIII isn't a playable character in this game. Why was that decision made?

Hamaguchi:
Red XIII appears toward the latter half of the story, so we felt there was insufficient time to really develop his character in a way that players would fully enjoy playing as him in this game. That said, I do feel it was extremely important to build and establish the relationship between Cloud, the crew and Red XIII when considering future developments [in the story]. So, from the early stages, we had determined to use him as a starting point in the level design to complete the area around Hojo's research lab. That location appears toward the end of this game. For those who felt disappointed about Red XIII not being playable in this installment, it would make me happy if you look forward to the next game.

There are lots of nods to the original game in this remake, but also to other classic Final Fantasy titles. What's your favorite Easter egg? Are there ones that fans haven't caught yet?

Hamaguchi:
I think my favorite nod to the original is where Cloud and Aerith make their way through the rooftops of abandoned slum houses after escaping the church. The same scene exists in the original, and I felt that the sense of Aerith and Cloud getting to know each other was expressed well through that sequence. Portraying this more realistically with the modern technology available to us over the original allowed us to really take in the scenery of the slums and Midgar. Even as a person creating the game, I remember how it felt both familiar and new during development and how it got me thinking, "So this is what the surrounding scenery looked like when Aerith and Cloud were making their way through this area in the original game." Perhaps a harder to recognize homage to the original would be, again, at the church … between the time Cloud falls into the church and Reno appears, the player can freely roam around inside. During that time, if the player moves to the area around the church exit, they will hear Reno considerately say the following: "Hang back. We're not in any hurry." This is actually a line that was implemented in the original, and the team working on this location proposed to include it in the remake as it was found in the source material.

Where did the idea to include new characters like Roche, Chadley, etc., into the narrative come from?

Hamaguchi:
There are many characters depicted in the Compilation of Final Fantasy VII projects (Before Crisis, Crisis Core, Dirge of Cerberus, Advent Children) and titles that made an appearance in Final Fantasy VII Remake, but Roche and Chadley were originally proposed by the game design team, and we had requested our writer Mr. Nojima to incorporate them into the scenario. Regarding Roche, we originally considered making him a boss that concludes the motorcycle minigame as you head toward Sector 7. That said, we thought his originality as a character could pan into something interesting and decided to use his appearance in the motorcycle minigame as foreshadowing. We expanded on this by making him the boss for the Sector 7-6 Annex. In the cutscene, a strange bond of sorts can be seen forming between Cloud and Roche, and I'm also personally interested in seeing how things are going to unfold between them in the future. Regarding Chadley, we wanted to include content in which materia could be obtained through mission rewards in parallel with the main story progression; considering lore, we came up with a role that would make him a researcher working for Shinra.

Jessie has become a fan favorite. Did you know that players would connect so strongly with a character who was such a minor presence in the original game?

Kitase:
I did imagine this would happen to a certain extent. After the original game released, she was also a favorite character of ours, so it was director Nomura's desire from the early stages to want to depict [the three Avalanche members: Jessie, Biggs and Wedge] in depth. As a result of Mr. Nojima's distinctive dialogue, the voice cast's performance, and the cutscene team's wonderful direction, we were able to successfully depict her as a captivating character.

The music in FFVII Remake is a great mix of the original soundtrack, remixes and new tracks. How did that come together? What was Nobuo Uematsu's involvement?

Kitase:
Mr. Uematsu expressed a strong desire to compose a main theme song [a vocal track] for this game that did not exist in the original. As we wanted to include a dynamic soundtrack that matches the action and narrative onscreen, it required a very large volume of new arrangements and new music for the new sections. Therefore, the arrangements for many of the in-game music had been entrusted to composers that have a connection with Final Fantasy and are also trusted by Mr. Uematsu and me. In turn, we asked Mr. Uematsu to focus on the production of the main theme song which we believe resulted in a wonderful track imbued with soul.

Nov 23, 2017
Nojima: To be honest, some staff actually told me that this line made it seem like Aerith was looking down on Cloud, so it got rejected a few times. If you know Aerith's fate, then this line would really pull at your heart strings, but if you did not know what happens to Aerith, then you might interpret the scene in a completely different way. I thought the gap between the two interpretations was very interesting. On another note, in Tifa's scene in the flower field, I wanted Cloud to not look cool in this scene. Even though Cloud and Tifa are close in age, he has a 5 year blank slate, and he doesn't have enough life experience to consider himself an adult. Even though most of the characters are around 20 years old, there's one guy, Cloud, who has the mentality of a 16 year old, and that person tries to be like an adult. I really wanted to write that into the story. After the Sector 7 plate fell, Barret comforted Tifa with the temperament of an adult, and Cloud saw that and wanted to do the same for her [in the flower scene], but it didn't go as planned. I wanted to try writing him as being awkward.

This is genius
Excellent. The writing team truly gets it. Holding in the hype for part 2 has been exhausting.

Rods

May 1, 2020

Some more crazy theories, i forgot the cloning aspect of the roads at the end and i didn't catch that Cloud was looking at OG midgar , makes sense.

Edit: I quoted someone on accident lol.

Last edited:

Grzi

Oct 26, 2017
Preach Kitase. Playing this wonderful game certainly softened the grim reality of the pandemic, if only for a little while.

Same, I can safely say that I will never forget my time with this game, the first playthrough especially.

I still think about the game every day and still can't believe that it turned out this good.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
^ So on Tanabata you write your wishes on a vertical strip of paper and tie it to the trees.

Cloud's wish is to be able to protect Tifa.

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
Finally finished it... man that ending went off the rails, i still don't know if i like it or not lol
So the Part 2 is now all open for being completely different from the og and Zack might still be alive, im excited for the future i guess.

Can someone explain me the 7 seconds thing from Sephiroth at the end? Because it totally went over my head.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
What if Roche drives the truck that hits Palmer? Did we ever find out who did it? Was it Shera?

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Finally finished it... man that ending went off the rails, i still don't know if i like it or not lol
So the Part 2 is now all open for being completely different from the og and Zack might still be alive, im excited for the future i guess.

Can someone explain me the 7 seconds thing from Sephiroth at the end? Because it totally went over my head.

Sephiroth shows cloud 7 seconds before meteor hits.
When would be cool to change my avatar to:
Zack Fair from Remake
?

is it time? lol

I've already seen some avatars with it.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
When would be cool to change my avatar to:
Zack Fair from Remake
?

is it time? lol
This should be safe

zack.jpg

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Another Interview with Kitase and Hamaguchi.

www.hollywoodreporter.com

Inside the ‘Final Fantasy VII Remake’ Team’s “Familiar Yet New” Adaptation of a Classic

Producer Yoshinori Kitase and co-director Naoki Hamaguchi talk about bringing Cloud Strife and his fellow Avalanche allies to life for a new generation of video gamers.

This game has a few major departures from the original. How did you decide what areas and characters should be expanded upon and what moments should stay the same?

Naoki Hamaguchi
: There are many aspects that are somewhat departures from the original, but we aimed to deliver a game experience that players would find "familiar yet new" rather than "completely new." We wanted to not have to cut away from the characters as much as in the original game, where you would really be traversing across fixed screens, rather than areas. By filling in these gaps, and making the traversal more realistic, we really wanted to create a deeper level of immersion, and of course that gives us more time and moments with the characters.

"Paying homage to the source material" served as a basis, but the original game is over 20 years old and the way in which many aspects were depicted back then could seem either outdated or unsuitable for this day and age. As such, there are many locations in which we challenged ourselves to largely "remake" the presentation while maintaining the essence of the original. This includes Wall Market, the Train Graveyard, and the Sector 7 Pillar; we took areas that could not be fully expressed back then and focused on reimagining those locations.

Are there any sections of the original that were deemed "sacred" and not subject to change?

Yoshinori Kitase:
We didn't lay out any rules in particular, but maintaining "elements that remain in the memories of our fans" is an understanding shared among the entire team that worked on the game.

The Honeybee Inn section of the game has been lauded for how it was handled. Was this a particularly challenging subject to approach given cultural differences between the late 1990s and today? How did you approach updating this section of the game?

Hamaguchi:
From an ethical perspective, it's true that we need to be more mindful in our portrayal compared to the time of the original release. Therefore, we decided to largely reimagine the events that unfold throughout Wall Market, including Honeybee Inn. We felt, let's make it highly entertaining and increase the showbiz aspect of the setting. The French Moulin Rouge and Japanese burlesques served as reference material as we worked to enhance the Honeybee Inn through the dance battle. In essence, we're paying homage to the enchantment of Wall Market, so I believe we were able to make the area feel familiar yet new, rather than a departure from the source material.

Sephiroth has a significantly expanded role in the Midgar section of the narrative. Why did you decide to give him more screen time earlier on than in the original?

Kitase:
It goes without saying that nobody knew how the FFVII story would unfold at the time of the original release. In order to heighten the threat of Sephiroth, the antagonist, we made a conscious decision to not show Sephiroth toward the first half of the game. This approach is similar to the storytelling found in mystery novels seeking out the culprit, and it's also a production approach taken by the movie Jaws to heighten the looming threat. However, with FFVII Remake, we knew that many fans were already familiar with Sephiroth and we determined the same approach to production wouldn't be as meaningful. Instead, we wanted to make it clear that his presence as a source of threat is one that dominates throughout the Remake project, and landed on the direction of having him appear from the beginning in a manner that would leave a lasting impression.

Red XIII isn't a playable character in this game. Why was that decision made?

Hamaguchi:
Red XIII appears toward the latter half of the story, so we felt there was insufficient time to really develop his character in a way that players would fully enjoy playing as him in this game. That said, I do feel it was extremely important to build and establish the relationship between Cloud, the crew and Red XIII when considering future developments [in the story]. So, from the early stages, we had determined to use him as a starting point in the level design to complete the area around Hojo's research lab. That location appears toward the end of this game. For those who felt disappointed about Red XIII not being playable in this installment, it would make me happy if you look forward to the next game.

There are lots of nods to the original game in this remake, but also to other classic Final Fantasy titles. What's your favorite Easter egg? Are there ones that fans haven't caught yet?

Hamaguchi:
I think my favorite nod to the original is where Cloud and Aerith make their way through the rooftops of abandoned slum houses after escaping the church. The same scene exists in the original, and I felt that the sense of Aerith and Cloud getting to know each other was expressed well through that sequence. Portraying this more realistically with the modern technology available to us over the original allowed us to really take in the scenery of the slums and Midgar. Even as a person creating the game, I remember how it felt both familiar and new during development and how it got me thinking, "So this is what the surrounding scenery looked like when Aerith and Cloud were making their way through this area in the original game." Perhaps a harder to recognize homage to the original would be, again, at the church … between the time Cloud falls into the church and Reno appears, the player can freely roam around inside. During that time, if the player moves to the area around the church exit, they will hear Reno considerately say the following: "Hang back. We're not in any hurry." This is actually a line that was implemented in the original, and the team working on this location proposed to include it in the remake as it was found in the source material.

Where did the idea to include new characters like Roche, Chadley, etc., into the narrative come from?

Hamaguchi:
There are many characters depicted in the Compilation of Final Fantasy VII projects (Before Crisis, Crisis Core, Dirge of Cerberus, Advent Children) and titles that made an appearance in Final Fantasy VII Remake, but Roche and Chadley were originally proposed by the game design team, and we had requested our writer Mr. Nojima to incorporate them into the scenario. Regarding Roche, we originally considered making him a boss that concludes the motorcycle minigame as you head toward Sector 7. That said, we thought his originality as a character could pan into something interesting and decided to use his appearance in the motorcycle minigame as foreshadowing. We expanded on this by making him the boss for the Sector 7-6 Annex. In the cutscene, a strange bond of sorts can be seen forming between Cloud and Roche, and I'm also personally interested in seeing how things are going to unfold between them in the future. Regarding Chadley, we wanted to include content in which materia could be obtained through mission rewards in parallel with the main story progression; considering lore, we came up with a role that would make him a researcher working for Shinra.

Jessie has become a fan favorite. Did you know that players would connect so strongly with a character who was such a minor presence in the original game?

Kitase:
I did imagine this would happen to a certain extent. After the original game released, she was also a favorite character of ours, so it was director Nomura's desire from the early stages to want to depict [the three Avalanche members: Jessie, Biggs and Wedge] in depth. As a result of Mr. Nojima's distinctive dialogue, the voice cast's performance, and the cutscene team's wonderful direction, we were able to successfully depict her as a captivating character.

The music in FFVII Remake is a great mix of the original soundtrack, remixes and new tracks. How did that come together? What was Nobuo Uematsu's involvement?

Kitase:
Mr. Uematsu expressed a strong desire to compose a main theme song [a vocal track] for this game that did not exist in the original. As we wanted to include a dynamic soundtrack that matches the action and narrative onscreen, it required a very large volume of new arrangements and new music for the new sections. Therefore, the arrangements for many of the in-game music had been entrusted to composers that have a connection with Final Fantasy and are also trusted by Mr. Uematsu and me. In turn, we asked Mr. Uematsu to focus on the production of the main theme song which we believe resulted in a wonderful track imbued with soul.
Thanks for posting. Personally, I feel like the devs are saying all the right things here. Remake Pt. 1 and interviews like this confirm for me that they're taking the ideal approach in remaking a beloved classic.

Rods

May 1, 2020
I don't understand Japanese but i think SE is running a Survey?

jp.finalfantasy.com

『ファイナルファンタジーVII リメイク』大調査!第1回~あなたの選択編~ | トピックス | ファイナルファンタジーポータルサイト | SQUARE ENIX

大好評発売中の『ファイナルファンタジーVII リメイク』、皆さん楽しんでいますか? もうクリアした!という方も多いのではないかと思います。 そこで、ゲーム中に出てきた分岐点や選択肢、さらにはお気に入りの技などについて、2回に分けて大調査を実施いたします! 結果は後日データ化してFFポータルにて...

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand Japanese but i think SE is running a Survey?

jp.finalfantasy.com

『ファイナルファンタジーVII リメイク』大調査!第1回~あなたの選択編~ | トピックス | ファイナルファンタジーポータルサイト | SQUARE ENIX

大好評発売中の『ファイナルファンタジーVII リメイク』、皆さん楽しんでいますか? もうクリアした!という方も多いのではないかと思います。 そこで、ゲーム中に出てきた分岐点や選択肢、さらにはお気に入りの技などについて、2回に分けて大調査を実施いたします! 結果は後日データ化してFFポータルにて...
Strange they they're doing a survey when usually games can send data like that directly to the devs nowadays.

There will be 2 surveys. They'll be announcing the results on the FF Portal at a later date and the first survey is about the branching choices like dresses, Ch 14 Resolution, and even small stuff like the flower display in Ch 8. Looks like you need to download a specific app to participate.

Rods

May 1, 2020
Last edited:

Rods

May 1, 2020
www.famitsu.com

2020年上半期の国内家庭用ゲーム市場は1748.1億円。ハード・ソフト市場ともに前年比増で2012年以降最大の規模に。500万本突破の『あつ森』などが牽引 | ゲーム・エンタメ最新情報のファミ通.com

ファミ通調べによる、2020年上半期の国内家庭用ゲームソフトとハードの売上速報が発表された。2020年上半期の国内家庭用ゲーム市場は1748.1億円で、ハード・ソフト市場ともに前年比増。2012年以降最大の規模になることが明らかに。
According to Google translator, FF VIIR physical sales numbers is 931.000.
Not sure if that's good or bad.

ekka4shiki

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 31, 2017
www.famitsu.com

2020年上半期の国内家庭用ゲーム市場は1748.1億円。ハード・ソフト市場ともに前年比増で2012年以降最大の規模に。500万本突破の『あつ森』などが牽引 | ゲーム・エンタメ最新情報のファミ通.com

ファミ通調べによる、2020年上半期の国内家庭用ゲームソフトとハードの売上速報が発表された。2020年上半期の国内家庭用ゲーム市場は1748.1億円で、ハード・ソフト市場ともに前年比増。2012年以降最大の規模になることが明らかに。

This is japan-only sales right?

Deleted member 66837

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 24, 2020
www.famitsu.com

It's second best in Japan right now and with PS being second fiddle to Nintendo there and the stock shortages I think they'll happily take it
This is japan-only sales right?
Yes Japan-only so most likely in the 1.5-2m range when accounting for digital in Japan

Rods

May 1, 2020
Last edited:

Deleted member 66837

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 24, 2020
Yes

Wow, i didn't know Japan was buying so many games digital.

Audrey on twitter about the Guardian interview and the Ultimania Translation about the same question regarding future parts in the Remake.

Yeah! The shortages really affected sales so if you wanted to underestimate its 30% of the physical sales are digital (1.2m overall) and if you wanna account for shortages and industry wide trend of digital being upwards 40% you're in the (1.4+ range)

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Another interview

www.ign.com

How FF7 Remake's Developers Reintroduced a Classic Game - IGN

Final Fantasy 7 Remake has been unleashed on the world after years of eager anticipation to massive critical and commercial success. But, as the dust settles, we’re still left with questions.

IGN: Why was the decision made to replace the English voice cast?

Kitase:

The original game obviously never had a voice cast. We began using actors for the characters starting with the second work in the compilation, the sequel movie Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children. For the film, the characters were already older than in the original game and 15 years have passed since then, we've continued to work with the same voice actors over numerous projects. However, since this title is set in an era that precedes Advent Children, with a younger cast, we wanted to discover a new generation of voice actors that would be suitable for expressing younger versions of the characters. While expressing our utmost respect to the Advent Children cast, I look forward to the future success of the new cast.

Steiner_Zi

Oct 28, 2017
They definitely made the right choice in using a new cast, the new voice actors killed it. Even Marlene was great!

Rods

May 1, 2020
New interview

part 1 - https://na.finalfantasy.com/topics/201

part 2 - https://na.finalfantasy.com/topics/205

This part here is interesting.

Toriyama: In the original FFVII, the train graveyard was essentially just a dungeon, but became its own chapter in REMAKE. To make this part stand on its own, we decided to expand the location to feel like a haunted house attraction—it is a graveyard with ghosts, after all. After leaving this area, the Sector 7 plate collapse kills a countless number of citizens, causing a disturbance in the lifestream. The boss monster at the end of this chapter, Eligor, foresees this and works to stop Cloud and friends from reaching the pillar in time.

ultima786

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So I was thinking some more.

- What if the new Stamp is not indicative of a new timeline, but rather of broken memories and screwed up understanding of reality? For example, with the Whispers gone, the player can see certain details for what they really were, not what Cloud experienced them as. This would be a callback to the original game, where Cloud recalls his past through memories that are colored by Jenova/Sephiroth. I admit I do not know how this would work, but I would prefer this a lot more than time-travel or alternate timelines.

- Theory - Perhaps the Whispers were, in part, influencing the game more than we realize? Maybe they influenced the way Cloud (and maybe even the party?) saw events occur. And now that they have been defeated, Sephiroth can show Cloud the way things really are. This is also a call-back to the original, where Sephiroth desired to show Cloud the truth about his past as a way to break his pysche in order to make him his puppet to do his bidding, and eventually provide him the Black materia.

The above theory may also explain why Biggs is alive, and why it seems that the sector 7 plate is still intact and not fallen in the ending scene after the Whispers are defeated. (Who knows if perhaps we're just looking at the Upper plates incorrectly, or perhaps it's just a bug or a mistake). So basically, the Whsipers

Remember that the Whispers appear to have been infected by Sephiroth. Throughout the game, certain Whispers are purple in color (the color of JENOVA) instead of black-gray. You see this purple color at the start of the game during the intro with Aerith sitting at the Mako pipe. Therefore, whatever the Whispers were trying to do, they were compromised in part by Sephiroth.

Anyhow, I dont even believe the above myself but thought I'd throw this out there.