• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Just finished the game. Just to be clear, Zack is alive on this remake?
And is this connected to Advent Children?

Unclear. He might just be killed in Midgar instead or he's alive in an alternate timeline. Things are pointing towards the latter.

There are AC connections like the 3 Whispers that the group fights are the 3 villains of Advent Children .

And the Sephiroth that you fight in the end might be AC! Sephiroth

GFP_RYU

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Unclear. He might just be killed in Midgar instead or he's alive in an alternate timeline. Things are pointing towards the latter.

There are AC connections like the 3 Whispers that the group fights are the 3 villains of Advent Children .

And the Sephiroth that you fight in the end might be AC! Sephiroth

Ah ok, if this is connected to AC, I do not have to worry about Cloud getting killed off or something at the end of this game. I mean this remake changes lots of stuff

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Ah ok, if this is connected to AC, I do not have to worry about Cloud getting killed off or something at the end of this game. I mean this remake changes lots of stuff

No, you should still worry. AC is a sequel to the original timeline.

Remake! Cloud is in the Remake! Timeline.

AC! Sephiroth may may not have hopped timelines.

If Cloud dies in the Remake timeline then he still got his happy ending in the OG timeline.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
My sister has been playing the game and her 13-year-old daughter has dubbed Cloud "Emo Boy."

That is all.

Also my sister's favorite character is Tifa because my sister is a woman of culture.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

If Cloud dies in the Remake timeline then he still got his happy ending in the OG timeline.
At the end of the series, Remake Cloud's team will be warped one thousand years into the past and it will be revealed they are the ones who originally sealed Jenova at Northern Crater

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
Random question since I just finished the game (I know I know... I had a serious case of the "I don't want this to end"s ... got to the final boss at the end of April and put it down until tonight).

What is the "stat" or whatever for who shows up during the Sephiroth fight? I'm just curious because I thought it was who you had the most "affection" with, but my highest affection should be Aerith (I got her scene before going to Shrina HQ), so I figured she would be the first to jump in, but it was randomly Tifa and then Barret.

🤷🏻‍♀️ Just curious.

Anyway, really loved the game a lot. I'm excited for what comes next, and I felt the characters were so strongly realized and it's been a long time since they were this good (era of Emo Cloud is over).

ekka4shiki

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 31, 2017
Random question since I just finished the game (I know I know... I had a serious case of the "I don't want this to end"s ... got to the final boss at the end of April and put it down until tonight).

What is the "stat" or whatever for who shows up during the Sephiroth fight? I'm just curious because I thought it was who you had the most "affection" with, but my highest affection should be Aerith (I got her scene before going to Shrina HQ), so I figured she would be the first to jump in, but it was randomly Tifa and then Barret.

🤷🏻‍♀️ Just curious.

Anyway, really loved the game a lot. I'm excited for what comes next, and I felt the characters were so strongly realized and it's been a long time since they were this good (era of Emo Cloud is over).

Affection is just for Chapter 14's resolution. For Sephiroth battle, it's based on point-system decided by your party action on the battle against Whisper Harbinger just before it. Here:

game8.co

How to Choose Who Fights Sephiroth | FF7 Remake|Game8

This is a guide on how to choose who joins your fight against Sephiroth in Final Fantasy 7 Remake (FF7R). Read on to find out what actions determine who joins and how to fight alongside your desired party members in the final battle!

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
Affection is just for Chapter 14's resolution. For Sephiroth battle, it's based on point-system decided by your party action on the battle against Whisper Harbinger just before it. Here:

game8.co

How to Choose Who Fights Sephiroth | FF7 Remake|Game8

This is a guide on how to choose who joins your fight against Sephiroth in Final Fantasy 7 Remake (FF7R). Read on to find out what actions determine who joins and how to fight alongside your desired party members in the final battle!

Ahhhh interesting, yeah, that would explain it. My poor Aerith just got steamrolled during the fight with Whisper Bahamut lol. The poor thing.

Also, "I miss it. The steel sky", very strong ending. <3

Last edited:

MrBS

Oct 27, 2017
Finished the game over the weekend, I had some fun with it but there is way too much Sephiroth. I never saw the value in it other than fan service either, its to the detriment of the story being told. Here's Sephiroth, maybe/not really because we cant wait for the Kalm flashback in 2027's part two.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
Tell her, welcome to Team Tifa. Our team values being a badass, femininity, martial arts and red boots.

How far is your sister?
Looks like she just got to Chapter 9 based on her Trophies.

I can't wait to hear what she thinks of it, lol. She never played the original game and I don't think she's watched any trailers so the Honeybee Inn will catch her completely off-guard.

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
They give you the most broken accessory in the entire game
If you equip it you have full Limit bar at the start of every battle.
God I tried for an hour and could never get past the fourth fight.
I started trying Shinryu's strat but the guy's execution is flawless. I've dropped the ball on the first, second and third fights let alone finish off the fourth and fifth.

Ugh. Just ramming my head into the problem trying to learn the match up. I've learned how to use Parry at least.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
Is there any youtube video showing what happens when the countdown reaches 0 during the final phase of Sephiroth fight?

Rods

May 1, 2020

Aja91

Dec 24, 2017
All I want is better level design and change in color scheme of the game. It was so brown and dark all the time 😭

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
So there is a major differences between English and Japanese versions of Red's line at the end.

English Red: "A vision of the future, should we fail here today".

Japanese Red: "A glimpse of the future being discarded by our efforts" / "A glimpse of the future we're about to discard"

the former is more negative as if the OG was a bad ending

I feel like nothing about this line 'implies negativity' in the way people are ascribing to it - it's just a case of reading comprehension.

At that point, the characters have resolved to change their fate, defy destiny, whatever you want to call it, . So the visions you see, while of the events we as players know and love, are indeed a vision of what will happen if they fail to do what they have resolved to do. This would be negative for the characters of 7R, because of course they want to succeed and think they are doing the right thing - if they are or not is something we will presumably learn in subsequent games.

Nothing about the line in either language implies the original game was a bad ending. The line is spoken from Remake Red's perspective, and as previously noted, these characters have decided to reject destiny. We still don't know if that is a good idea or if that is, as fans have theorized, playing into Sephiroth's hands.

GFP_RYU

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

ah just to be sure, Remake is a different timeline therefore two timelines now?

harry the spy

Oct 25, 2017
Slightly off topic question- if I play ff7 on switch with the accelerators, without speed running though the game but mostly doing the main story - how long does it take ? I'm mulling a replay of the OG before trying hard mode for this

ekka4shiki

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 31, 2017
Slightly off topic question- if I play ff7 on switch with the accelerators, without speed running though the game but mostly doing the main story - how long does it take ? I'm mulling a replay of the OG before trying hard mode for this

You mean the 3x speed feature, right? Hmm, probably around 20-25 hours depending on your playstyle. With god mode and no random encounter, it'll be even faster.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like nothing about this line 'implies negativity' in the way people are ascribing to it - it's just a case of reading comprehension.

At that point, the characters have resolved to change their fate, defy destiny, whatever you want to call it, . So the visions you see, while of the events we as players know and love, are indeed a vision of what will happen if they fail to do what they have resolved to do. This would be negative for the characters of 7R, because of course they want to succeed and think they are doing the right thing - if they are or not is something we will presumably learn in subsequent games.

Nothing about the line in either language implies the original game was a bad ending. The line is spoken from Remake Red's perspective, and as previously noted, these characters have decided to reject destiny. We still don't know if that is a good idea or if that is, as fans have theorized, playing into Sephiroth's hands.
It's not just that line. It's also the flashes to Aerith's death earlier, and Barret's line earlier when he gets confirmation that if fate wants them to die, they'll die.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South

I've done a 30h critical path run on the original game, once. Probably could cut an extra 10h with accelerators, skipping fights and stuff. But I already knew the game like the back of my hand, so there's that.

ultima786

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Obviously they would reject these visions if they deemed them negative and bad, right? Are we splitting hairs here?

clearly red 13 sees himself by himself without human beings or without civilization or something. So he thinks this is bad.

maybe the characters are wrong, if that's what your possibly suggesting?

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Kickin' ass, takin' names.

Tifa must be Reggie's inner woman.

collageff7tifa00fz2joo.jpeg

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
It's not just that line. It's also the flashes to Aerith's death earlier, and Barret's line earlier when he gets confirmation that if fate wants them to die, they'll die.
Obviously they would reject these visions if they deemed them negative and bad, right? Are we splitting hairs here?

clearly red 13 sees himself by himself without human beings or without civilization or something. So he thinks this is bad.

maybe the characters are wrong, if that's what your possibly suggesting?

Basically, yeah - maybe the characters are wrong. My point is, I keep seeing people say that this game portrays the original game's events as a 'bad ending' which needs to be fixed, but I don't see that at all. I see that the characters in this game learn that is a 'defined fate' for them, Destiny, and make a choice to defy it. So when they're shown "a vision of the future if they fail today", that's true - cos what they're trying to do is change their fate.

What we don't know yet is if the world they've created is actually any better - and indeed, if a lot of the hints have been read correctly, they've played into Sephiroth's hands.

My point is mainly that I keep seeing the idea of the original game as a 'bad end' banded around as something people don't like as it can be construed as disrespectful for the original, but right now we don't know that it is a bad end, just that the characters think it is based on limited information. Indeed, a lot of time-bending stories like this often end with things having to be set right to how they were 'supposed' to be in the end... I could easily see the remake storyline seeing them inadvertently create a timeline where Sephiroth wins through defying fate, and then they have to find a way to undo it.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In Chapter 3 when you finish the Wraith Hound side-quest, Wymer says this dog might have escaped from a rumored underground Shinra lab or something. Is that a reference to Deepground from Dirge of Cerberus?

Dec 1, 2017
I played it a few weeks ago with a guide and it took me 35 hours doing all of the side quests that interested me (so I passed on the chocobo racing).

ultima786

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Basically, yeah - maybe the characters are wrong. My point is, I keep seeing people say that this game portrays the original game's events as a 'bad ending' which needs to be fixed, but I don't see that at all. I see that the characters in this game learn that is a 'defined fate' for them, Destiny, and make a choice to defy it. So when they're shown "a vision of the future if they fail today", that's true - cos what they're trying to do is change their fate.

What we don't know yet is if the world they've created is actually any better - and indeed, if a lot of the hints have been read correctly, they've played into Sephiroth's hands.

My point is mainly that I keep seeing the idea of the original game as a 'bad end' banded around as something people don't like as it can be construed as disrespectful for the original, but right now we don't know that it is a bad end, just that the characters think it is based on limited information. Indeed, a lot of time-bending stories like this often end with things having to be set right to how they were 'supposed' to be in the end... I could easily see the remake storyline seeing them inadvertently create a timeline where Sephiroth wins through defying fate, and then they have to find a way to undo it.
I get what you are saying. Maybe what people should say instead was, "The character are given visions of the future, but perhaps those visions are spun and framed by Sephiroth, to make them decide to go against the Arbiters." In the end, the party may have made a mistake and played into Sephiroth's hands. They thought it was bad, but maybe not in the way they imagined.

Then again, not having human civilization is certainly bad... no matter how you spin it. Perhaps the party had the right goal in mind but went about it the wrong way.

This can go many different directions...

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Either way is fine since they are pretty different. Story stuff is easier in a vacuum but you have to manage your MP through the chapter (really only a ch.17 issue. ch.18 was a cake walk imo). The challenges are easy till the last one, which requires some planning, but you get 50% mp recovery every match, so you can go hard on your best spells. I did all the VR stuff then moved on to do the last 2 chapters.
There is a VERY good Reward for beaten the VR missions fully, but make no mistake. They are HARD to beat.

IF you need any help. just remember that Elemental + Fire/Ice/Thunder on Armor (while mastered) is your friend.
Dope thanks for the help, much appreciated. Although it was tough, I changed my loadouts out and went in to finish the challenges before continuing on with the game. That last one though, it was mad tough. Here's all I did.

Cloud, Aerith and Barrett was the team I used.

1st, Shiva - MAD tough. I kept dying here and I couldn't figure out how to do it. I then tested some things and settled on giving Cloud Elemental + Ice his armor so he couldn't be damaged by the ice and Barrett Elemental + Lightning with his weapon. With Cloud not being damaged I kept wailing on her until I could get some Firaga's off. Aerith healed everyone, Cloud beat her down, Barrett assisted. She was taken out pretty easily any time once I did this.

2nd, Fat Chocobo - Really easy, mad easy. Just punished repeatedly, had no trouble any time I faced him and didn't lose once.

3rd, Leviathan - Alright, this one was super tough. Initially I didn't have enough MP to face him but after fixing the loadout a bit more I made it work. By this point, Shiva was easy to beat and I made sure I didn't use any MP in the Fat Chocobo fight so I'd have a lot stored up here. Barrett switched between being the main damage dealer with his Lightning + Elemental combo and putting Barrier on everyone. Aerith healed and revived when needed, Cloud was up close doing damage and at times used Lighting and Arise. The first few times I couldn't beat him but after constant tries I eventually got him down. Manawall was king here.

4th, Bahamut - When I made it to him he tore me up the first time but around the 3rd-4th time I had gotten the Leviathan fight down well. Cloud was the main damage dealer and his Counterstance was the savior here. He did damage up close as he kept his ATB bar stocked so any time Bahamut was gonna attack that Counterstance came in. As always Aerith was the healer, that was basically her job the entire way through. Anyway, Ifrit was a problem but by the 3rd time of seeing him I took him out quickly. Megaflare was trouble but luckily Arise came in handy to bring another person back but they weren't around long. By the end of the fight it was basically Aerith and Ifrit and they were about to die. Ifrit then did his ultimate and killed Bahamut. I lucked out in the end here. Had that not happened I would have lost.

5th, Pride and Joy - Only faced him once. He was trouble with the whole "grabbing character" thing but the main thing with him is that Barrett had his Elemental + Lighting combo, Cloud had Lighting and even though I barely made it out of the last round, as soon as this one started I used Haste to have Aerith heal everyone. He was easy.

So all in all from hardest to easiest in how many times I fought them and how tough it was...

- Shiva
- Leviathan
- Bahamut
- Pride and Joy
- Fat Chobobo

That loadout change was king though. After figuring out what I could do, it was easy so taking that into account the hardest to easiest was probably

- Bahamut
- Leviathan
- Shiva
- Pride and Joy
- Fat Chocobo

Other things I did through all 5 rounds was this.

First Strike - Cloud had this so as soon as the round started I either used Haste or attacked the summon with whatever elemental worked on them.
Revival Earrings - Honestly, I had these on in the first tries but on the try where I won? I didn't have them, just had Supernatural Wristguards and Circlet on and that did the job.
Elemental - I MADE SURE I used both of these to my advantage. Without them I couldn't do it.
Ray of Judgement - Anytime a summon was staggered or whenever I knew I could get one of these off Aerith lit em up.
Those AOE attacks you can't avoid - Diamond Dust, Megaflare, Tidal Wave, whatever, Aerith always had the team fully healed or near fully healed before these hits and if not Barrett had Manawall ready. Always had an out.
HP/MP/Magic Up - Had at least a combo of 2-3 of these on all characters at all times. Needed it.

Welp, there ya go. That's my trek through those challenges lol.

harry the spy

Oct 25, 2017
I've done a 30h critical path run on the original game, once. Probably could cut an extra 10h with accelerators, skipping fights and stuff. But I already knew the game like the back of my hand, so there's that.
Ok, I know the game quite well too:) i'm willing to use the cheat codes to some extent. So sounds like 20-25 hours. Perfect! It is going to be fun to revisit after all these years (I played it twice more or less a year apart - second run was a completionist one - when the game came out on pc)

TorianElecdra

Feb 25, 2020
What Kingdom Hearts mess is this.

I feel they ruined a "grounded" story in Gaia Theory and what we are going to get is not going to be good enough. We will see.

I am not happy with how Sephiroth was build up though. I mean we all know who he is and all that, but he just becomes this big threat out of nowhere lol.

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
So before I read any theories here I have just finished the game and wanted to put my thoughts in writing.
So my presumption is that as the whispers were Fate, and they defeat the whispers, this changes Fates timeline and therefore Aeris will not be killed by Sephiroth.
Also Zack should have died in the fight for Cloud to take his back story but as Zack survived and cloud returns with him, Zack is no longer dead, which means cloud is ????? This bit makes no sense to me.
I really don't think the game needed this reimagined story, that wasn't what I signed up for.
Also barret being stabbed but then not being stabbed was nuts.
That being said, the final parts of the game were really amazing and exciting to play , despite me being unsure of the story.

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ohhh, that makes sense then. I was too burnt out to complete all of those simulator challenges, lol
You get an awesome accessory for beating the final boss in the VR simulator. I took a break after beating the game originally before I went back to platinum it, would recommend that for you if you're considering it.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
So before I read any theories here I have just finished the game and wanted to put my thoughts in writing.
So my presumption is that as the whispers were Fate, and they defeat the whispers, this changes Fates timeline and therefore Aeris will not be killed by Sephiroth.
Also Zack should have died in the fight for Cloud to take his back story but as Zack survived and cloud returns with him, Zack is no longer dead, which means cloud is ????? This bit makes no sense to me.
I really don't think the game needed this reimagined story, that wasn't what I signed up for.
Also barret being stabbed but then not being stabbed was nuts.
That being said, the final parts of the game were really amazing and exciting to play , despite me being unsure of the story.

The plot points and story will be very similar according to the devs still.

We don't know if Aerith is going to be killed by Sephiroth still or not, but they're still heavily implying that she's going to die still anyway.

Also the general consensus is that Zack being alive is a different timeline from Remake! Cloud and co.