• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What should happen to Aerith in the FFVIIR saga?

• She should die, it's her destiny

Votes: 395 57.7%
  • She should live, fuck destiny

Votes: 289 42.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 13155

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Those rumors sold me on the game tbh. Ordered it and its shipped. Will have it tomorrow.

I legit think by the end we'll see Zack and Aerith starting a family or some shit. Gotta beat those evil "but...this isn't how it happened" ghosts into the ground with the REAL ending.

For better or worse they can do what they want now. I think its interesting and I actually don't mind the spoiler points. The original is different enough anyway. They already changed shit in the demo with the bomb etc. The writing is on the wall.

Rpgmonkey

Oct 25, 2017
Calm down. Zack is dead.

Hell, Cloud is using his blade through the entire game

They just didnt show him dying yet, that's all

Yeah all the elements of Cloud's sword/personality/psychological issues still seem to be in place. Personalities and back stories for the major characters don't appear to have changed in any crazy ways (...so far).

It does look like this is going to be its own distinct canon, which isn't going to be ideal to the people who expected and wanted it to pretty much be the original story with maybe a bit of compilation stuff mixed in, but Zack being alive and Aerith living feel like leaps at this point to me.

Which is not to say I think there won't be any big changes to the circumstances and arcs of these characters, an alternate canon gives them a lot of room to do that. But even if they take a different route for someone like Aerith, I'm not sold that they'll push this so far that one of the biggest moments of the game and the series in general is going to be taken out. We can call Nomura and Nojima madmen but I feel like they like that scene too much, and know most other people like that scene too much, to undermine it or cut it from the story entirely.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
to think we were arguing over 1/3 of a game and false advertising.......

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, she won't be killed off halfway through. I'm sure of that. I liked it in the original but it did feel odd considering her full limit break setup etc. You really had to grind a bit to get it all, which did add to the surprise I suppose. She's popular, directly playable... DLC oppertunities... she stays in.

Though the Iconic Sephiroth Scene need to be preserved. But thats not a problem, this time even the real one could do it right near the end.

unless it might be someone else who could died instead of Aerith? Probably Zack or Red.

It's going to be quite fun to figure if the story plot would change or not.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Because it's an interesting idea! Presenting them as fans just seems like a way for you to play the role of victim.

The original Final Fantasy VII is right there. It's a wonderful game. And clearly they think so too, because they aren't content with taking it behind a shed and putting a shotgun to the back of its head, replacing it with a spiffier, spruced-up usurper.

It could very well suck! If it does, Final Fantasy VII is still there. It might be great but nothing like the original! If it is, Final Fantasy VII is still there.

Framing a remake for newer generations as a 'usurper' is a really limited and, frankly, kind of selfish perspective. It's basically saying to people who might want to experience Final Fantasy VII in their own context (i.e. younger generations) to "suck it up and go put up with a decades old game." As if that would ever be a replacement for the experience that those lucky enough to be nostalgic over FFVII had.

Basically Final Fantasy VII is still there, but the Final Fantasy VII that a 35 year old played at release when they were 12 is something that went away two decades ago. This remake should have given the kids and teens of today a way to experience the story of Cloud, Tifa, Sephiroth, etc without the baggage of early PS1-era presentation and gameplay. Instead it's giving cynical adults a way to experience the warm fuzzies of nostalgia with the added bonus of brand new story additions that only they will really get the full impact of.

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
By positioning the force against change as villains, they're basically saying "people who don't want the story to change are EEEEEEEEEEEVIL, we gotta beat 'em up!"

Obviously Nomura doesn't want people to actually beat up people who don't want the story to change, but Nomura loves to channel his anger through extremely unsubtle story beats. He's very clearly signaling displeasure with original-story purists.
Well, are you surprised? It's a game about ecological themes, making the villains conservatives (those who want to stick to the status quo/resist change) make complete sense. We even have a rise a nationalism and nostalgia for the past all over the world, including Japan.

"We can't dwell on the past, we have to move forward" is a pretty common theme in fiction.

Last edited:

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
Not a fan of FF7, but this is what KH fans have had to deal with for the past 2 decades when it comes to Nomura. It may seem entertaining at first and continually keep you guessing as KH did (and continues to do), but expect it to be filled with convoluted BS that hardly makes sense most of the time.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
I mean if you're not even going to say what perspective you have there's nothing I can say to convince you.

It's clear that you think "outdated" means "bad", however, and that's simply not the case. There are very, very few games from that era that aren't outdated, especially when viewed through the lens of people who grew up with the 7th and 8th gens.
I'm gonna chime in here and say I'm actually a few months YOUNGER than the original Japanese release of FFVII and never played it until January of this year and didn't really find it outdated at all aside from some weird script translations.

Deleted member 1726

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am so glad I didn't buy this game.

Going to just drop £6 on the switch version and enjoy the game again.

like many well laid out posts before mine, I simply wanted the graphics from this game with the story from the original plus maybe a few expanded bits that fit nicely to make it few fresh, this so isn't it, and they've been proper shady with the whole thing.

I dread to think what is coming in future games.

Nov 1, 2017
Framing a remake for newer generations as a 'usurper' is a really limited and, frankly, kind of selfish perspective. It's basically saying to people who might want to experience Final Fantasy VII in their own context (i.e. younger generations) to "suck it up and go put up with a decades old game." As if that would ever be a replacement for the experience that those lucky enough to be nostalgic over FFVII had.

Basically Final Fantasy VII is still there, but the Final Fantasy VII that a 35 year old played at release when they were 12 is something that went away two decades ago. This remake should have given the kids and teens of today a way to experience the story of Cloud, Tifa, Sephiroth, etc without the baggage of early PS1-era presentation and gameplay. Instead it's giving cynical adults a way to experience the warm fuzzies of nostalgia with the added bonus of brand new story additions that only they will really get the full impact of.

Should we also make it available for phones? Have a progression system and a battle pass? After all, that's what kids are playing.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I just want to see more end game impressions from people who got it early here on ERA.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
to think we were arguing over 1/3 of a game and false advertising.......

For all we know, due to the idea of "changing/surpassing fate" now being the theme of this FFVII take, who is to say it will be three games? What if it's a duology? The next bit is just their crazy take in an alternate canon?

We presumed that this would be a close remake of FFVII, so we assumed it had to follow the same story beats. With how this part ends, we're left questioning how many the developers are even going to consider following now. Three parts made sense if the game was "FFVII but deeper, more expanded" but we're really entering the territory of "new, different FFVII" which means very much of what we assumed may not actually play out.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Not really directing this at you specifically but when I hear "the original will always be there," I always have to think "yeah, but the context in which most people played the original will never be here again."

Someone buying the game today who grew up with the 7th and 8th gen is not going to be getting the 'original experience' that someone like yourself had. They'll be getting a game that, by 2020 standards, is massively outdated in pretty much all areas.

It's why I think it's kind of selfish for creators and fans of the 'original experience' to want a remake that panders to their own boredom of the original. They were lucky enough to experience Final Fantasy VII the way it was meant to be played, meanwhile anyone born in the late 90s has never had a Final Fantasy that even comes close to the 'golden era' of the franchise.

yeah but doesnt that go for a lot of things? Often, those "golden era" moments are just a combination of the right things happening at the right moment; you cannot replicate that (most of the time). Even if FF7R would be a beat-for-beat remake of the original but with modern graphics there would still be people writing essays about how it doesnt even touch the original. Especially with internet and spoilerculture in general, a lot of the impact isnt there. Don't get me wrong, I understand what you're getting at.. That said, Doom and FF7 are probably my most 'transformative' games I played in my life because they were truly doing or showing something new for their respective genres at that time. It will be very hard these days to create such an experience, heh

Venuslulu

Oct 28, 2017
They already committed to major story beats being the same, so I don't know what anybody is rambling about. Like how do we know any of the new elements is going to even fundamentally change the overall story for the majority of people playing. If they are just plot devices that add new elements, what does it take away at all. How do we know any of the stuff happening is specifically made for people specifically who played the old game to meta dissect. It's conjecture, and the meltdown is one of the best piece of entertainment I've ever seen. The overreaction is from people intrepeting the story base on other people interpreting the story. If the events are rearrange with the same major events, it's a remake in a general sense still.

Movies and television adaptations do these kind of things constantly, but only in video games do we get this weird call to arms about the loss of children's innocence in experiencing the holy story in its intact state of what we shall now deem the ff7 bible.

Deleted member 13155

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
yeah but doesnt that go for a lot of things? Often, those "golden era" moments are just a combination of the right things happening at the right moment; you cannot replicate that (most of the time). Even if FF7R would be a beat-for-beat remake of the original but with modern graphics there would still be people writing essays about how it doesnt even touch the original. Especially with internet and spoilerculture in general, a lot of the impact isnt there. Don't get me wrong, I understand what you're getting at.. That said, Doom and FF7 are probably my most 'transformative' games I played in my life because they were truly doing or showing something new for their respective genres at that time. It will be very hard these days to create such an experience, heh

I start to like how this is going to be a different entity. I know the original, if the remake was 1:1 I could write down how it would progress beyond part 1.

But now nothing is certain. I like that. The original still exists.

Oct 25, 2017
  • the events of VII and AC have already happened in another timeline
    [*] the ghost things are Whispers of Fate that try to keep the characters in line with the original game
    [*]Biggs and Wedge live. Jessie still dies.
    [*]After the highway chase Cloud and co. fight the Whispers of Fate and beat them, making it so they're no longer bound by the original FFVII's storyline.
    [*]During the battle the party is shown the clip of an old Nanaki with his cubs running towards a destroyed Midgar, Red XIII guesses it's a vision of the future that awaits them if they fail
    [*]Sephiroth shows up after beating them. Fight is basically AC-tier, Sephiroth gets a black wing mid-fight.
    [*]While this happens we flashback to Zack surviving his last stand in an alternate timeline
    [*] After beating Sephiroth he teleports Cloud to the "edge of creation" and asks for his help in "defying destiny... together".
    [*] He refuses and fight similar to their final omnislash duel ensues
    [*]the party escapes Midgar.
    [*]We continue Zack's scene with him walking to Midgar with a comatose Cloud holding on to him.
    [*]Remake Aeris and Alt! Zack sense each other
    [*]fade to black
Man... I kind of love this? LMAO

It's bulshit blazing, but I believe it.

Draconian

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Making the story a convoluted mess sounds exactly like the treatment I'd expect from modern day SE.

Plum

May 31, 2018
I'm gonna chime in here and say I'm only a few months older than the original Japanese release of FFVII and never played it until January of this year and didn't really find it outdated at all aside from some weird script translations.

Yeah, I can understand that. However I think the confusion here comes from people seeing my usage of 'outdated' here as a subjective one instead of an objective contextual one. To me when I say FFVII is outdated I'm referring to how it is outdated compared to the presentation and gameplay standards of today. That is true whether or not you can personally look past that.

I think subjectively there's going to be a lot more people around our ages that would can't look past its outdated elements than those who can.

Should we also make it available for phones? Have a progression system and a battle pass? After all, that's what kids are playing.

Honestly this kind of post doesn't really deserve any more than an "OK Boomer."

Yeah, I'm not really saying it's possible to replicate the context that surrounded FF7 when it released. I just think that they should have focused more on creating "FF7 for a new generation," instead of creating "FF7 for old cynics who are tired of FF7."

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
You know what? This could explain why there is no Part I in the title.

This is Final Fantasy VII Remake, the next one will tell "The Unknown Journey", as the ending states. It will have a completely different subtitle and everything will be different. Maybe.

It would be some next level Nomura bullshit.

Jeeeeeeeeeeesus.

Datrael

Oct 25, 2017
I hope they don't kill Aerith this time around, this game is making me love the character even more than I did in the original.

Oct 25, 2017
Well, are you surprised? It's a game about ecological themes, making the villains conservatives (those who want to stick to the status quo/resist change) make complete sense. We even have a rise a nationalism and nostalgia for the past all over the world, including Japan.

"We can't dwell on the past, we have to move forward" is a pretty common theme in fiction.

Yeah, thing is, if it's worse than the original and misses the point of the life and death theme, then they completely fucked up. I just don't trust, Nomura, Toriyama and Nojima to do justice.

Bob White

Oct 27, 2017

This is Final Fantasy VII Remake, the next one will tell "The Unknown Journey", as the ending states. It will have a completely different subtitle and everything will be different. Maybe.

Jeeeeeeeeeeesus.

This is what makes me think Zack will live. Nomura will get to make as many new "FF7" stories as he wants now. Of course he'll keep/revive major characters that were killed off. He needs them to play with. And all this new wacky story telling will be built off the back of a game sold to long time fans as a "remake"

Absolute fucking clown shoes.

Grimmjow

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What's the deal with the new Soldier 1st class dude? Is he important to the plot in any way?

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
Maaan I ain't feeling Zack's new voice. Altho what if they accidentally run into the old timeline with the old voice actors?

Oct 25, 2017
TAKE ME, NOMURA

nduQEgo.gif

Oct 8, 2019

Jeeeeeeeeeeesus.

When I saw Star Wars: The Force Awakens in theater, about halfway through I just got really depressed because here was a movie that both the critics and fans loved and it had nothing interesting to say. Recently I watched the Lion King, and absolutely despised it because it was just a soulless remake of the original, just with this boring hyper realistic filter on it.

From what I have seen from this game makes me excited because I really want to see what they do with Wutai because it just seems like its going to be a huge part of the story since they made it clear that Shinra is trying to start another war. Give me Barret trying to re-unite the splintered Avalanche cells.

Status
Not open for further replies.