• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What should happen to Aerith in the FFVIIR saga?

• She should die, it's her destiny

Votes: 395 57.7%
  • She should live, fuck destiny

Votes: 289 42.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
It's a FFXIV reference.
FFXIV has a werewolf costume and such that looks similar, but there isn't a human dressed as a moogle that I recall? Unless that's some weird Hildebrand stuff I missed.

These type of fur costumes and the bikini equivalent are in a lot of Anime/Japanese art and "cosplay" stuff.

EDIT:
At the start of the game you meet a Moogle who says basically the same thing.
Oh I don't recall that in FFXIV...But I haven't played ARR in a long ass time.

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land
9PlW6Ms.jpg

(⊙_⊙)
whats going on with those tires ahahah

benzy

Oct 25, 2017
The environmental geometry is super impressive. This is the most CG like game I have seen this gen.

Are you including the huge architecture structure in the background? Cause that's just a 2D image backdrop of something made in a pre-render CG. There's a pretty big difference in geometry and shader/lighting detail between that quality and actual in-game structures.

fxFoqBr.jpg

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
FFXIV has a werewolf costume and such that looks similar, but there isn't a human dressed as a moogle that I recall? Unless that's some weird Hildebrand stuff I missed.

These type of fur costumes and the bikini equivalent are in a lot of Anime/Japanese art and "cosplay" stuff.

EDIT:

Oh I don't recall that in FFXIV...But I haven't played ARR in a long ass time.
It was at least in the Lancer opening when I started the free trial.

Pastel Melon

Jan 2, 2020
Germany
Does someone know what I've to do for that? Sorry, I might be dumb but I thought I've to stagger the Enemy and use things like Braver but that does not work??

TNqyNIY.jpg

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Does someone know what I've to do for that? Sorry, I might be dumb but I thought I've to stagger the Enemy and use things like Braver but that does not work??

TNqyNIY.jpg
It's supposed to be different per enemy. Based on Elemental weaknesses and things like Cloud's punisher mode. For example you can stagger the ninja enemies in the Demo by going punisher and blocking and/or using Fire magic. Things like Braver SHOULD help trigger it but without having played it I can only imagine that different enemies have different weaknesses to exploit

EDIT: Oh just noticed it's like a weird challenge mission. Yeah that phrasing makes no sense. To fill ATB you use abilities, but if it's just 10 are you supposed to use 10 bravers and get 10 ATB notches ina single stagger? Shit's weird.

Lonestar

Roll Tahd, Pawl
Oct 25, 2017
It honestly weirded me out that her house wasn't routinely robbed or has issues with squatters.

Aerith and mum got a fucking 2-storey balcony HOUSE when just down the block some guy is literally LIVIN IN A PIPE. o_O

I literally was thinking that when seeing the picture above, when I scrolled down and saw your post.

Like, maybe Elmyra is the World Champion, and everyone knows not to trespass.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Are you including the huge architecture structure in the background? Cause that's just a 2D image backdrop of something made in a pre-render CG. There's a pretty big difference in geometry and shader/lighting detail between that quality and actual in-game structures.

fxFoqBr.jpg

Ah, you seem to be right. Yes, I was including that. I think there are other examples in the game with pretty darn impressive geometry, but that's probably beyond this gens capacity to render. Hopefully next gen can render all that kind of geometric detail. That's my biggest want next gen, more so than say ray tracing is a big leap in geometry.

Pastel Melon

Jan 2, 2020
Germany
It's supposed to be different per enemy. Based on Elemental weaknesses and things like Cloud's punisher mode. For example you can stagger the ninja enemies in the Demo by going punisher and blocking and/or using Fire magic. Things like Braver SHOULD help trigger it but without having played it I can only imagine that different enemies have different weaknesses to exploit

EDIT: Oh just noticed it's like a weird challenge mission. Yeah that phrasing makes no sense. To fill ATB you use abilities, but if it's just 10 are you supposed to use 10 bravers and get 10 ATB notches ina single stagger? Shit's weird.

Yeah, it's very confusing and I don't think I can even do that, if I really need to do 10 attacks WHILE staggered because... I might've trained a bit too much and now enemies go down pretty fast. And I honestly played the same for the 3/10 I already got... maybe it really has to do with the weakness but I just don't understand WHAT now and I've the feeling that Chadley wants me to finish this shit before he gives me more...

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019

fxFoqBr.jpg
Day time really is rough on Midgar.

Makodaioh2167

Mar 30, 2020
Considering Sephiroth is the primary antagonist and nemesis of Cloud, not really sure why people are surprised or losing it at the fact Sephiroth's going to show up more here. This was known. Considering the story of FFVII is being told in multi-game installments, they are not going to use the same storytelling adaption that worked for a single release when this is not the same situation at all.

And OG purists like to pretend that FFVII's portrayal of Sephiroth was this singular masterstroke of villain writing, while ignoring the fact he had very little characterization, personality, or presence. Then they justify it with "it's ambiguous and mysterious" as if that's the only effective way to write and depict a villain in Final Fantasy. Spoilers: It's not. He was an ominous Big-Bad type supervillain in the OG, who was given a slow burn intro while hidden in the shadows until his fateful confrontation with Cloud in the Northern Crater which snapped Cloud's mind.

Then he's seen again only until the final battle of the game.

The reason subsequent depictions of Sephiroth have him being a Nemesis type villain for Cloud, is because of that iconic and memorable scene in the Northern Crater. It allows Sephiroth to have an active personality. While that scene only came late in the game, that hatred was memorable due to the breakdown it inflicted on Cloud, and the revealed reason Sephiroth held such animus. There was no other personality or traits to work from aside from that, and it was what stuck and was effective.

The FFVII Remake being able to improve on a shortfall in the OG's depiction of Sephiroth by letting him have a strong depiction in his own game, is a good thing. If one actually lets themselves take in a new retelling of the story that goes beyond the rigid constraints and structures of the OG. Refusing to accept that for some fans, the introduction to Seph happened outside the OG, and would ring terribly hollow if they mimiced such a weak and minimalistic portrayal is just close-minded and unrealistic. There exists a means of telling a good story other than the way used for a PSone game from 1997.

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
Aeriths house has always been stupidly nice for where she lived. I'm gonna assume Tseng kept them from being robbed or something.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Considering Sephiroth is the primary antagonist and nemesis of Cloud, not really sure why people are surprised or losing it at the fact Sephiroth's going to show up more here. This was known. Considering the story of FFVII is being told in multi-game installments, they are not going to use the same storytelling adaption that worked for a single release when this is not the same situation at all.

And OG purists like to pretend that FFVII's portrayal of Sephiroth was this singular masterstroke of villain writing, while ignoring the fact he had very little characterization, personality, or presence. Then they justify it with "it's ambiguous and mysterious" as if that's the only effective way to write and depict a villain in Final Fantasy. Spoilers: It's not. He was an ominous Big-Bad type supervillain in the OG, who was given a slow burn intro while hidden in the shadows until his fateful confrontation with Cloud in the Northern Crater which snapped Cloud's mind.

The reason subsequent depictions of Sephiroth have him being a Nemesis type villain for Cloud, is because of that iconic and memorable scene in the Northern Crater. It allows Sephiroth to have an active personality. While that scene only came late in the game, that hatred was memorable due to the breakdown it inflicted on Cloud, and the revealed reason Sephiroth held such animus. There was no other personality or traits to work from aside from that, and it was what stuck and was effective.

The FFVII Remake being able to improve on a shortfall in the OG's depiction of Sephiroth by letting him have a strong depiction in his own game, is a good thing. If one actually lets themselves take in a new retelling of the story that goes beyond the rigid constraints and structures of the OG. Refusing to accept that for some fans, the introduction to Seph happened outside the OG, and would ring terribly hollow if they mimiced such a weak and minimalistic portrayal is just close-minded and unrealistic. There exists a means of telling a good story other than the way used for a PSone game from 1997.
64951.jpg

May 26, 2018

FF7 Remake: A remake of a PSone game from 1997

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
The reason subsequent depictions of Sephiroth have him being a Nemesis type villain for Cloud, is because of that iconic and memorable scene in the Northern Crater.
Yes. The meta of Cloud vs Seph driven home by AC, KH, and other extended media is why he's shoehorned into every other scene. We know the "why" we just don't like it.

Except this is wrong too because Sephiroth isn't taunting Cloud the same way and the psychological torment is driven by a completely different need, as shown the last time someone quoted the scene and tried to say he was always this way when the scene at the crater is just him going "you're a clone, a fake. Who cares about you, thanks for the black materia" which is completely different from "DURR HURR I KILLED YOUR MOM YOU CANT PROTECT ANYONE NOT EVEN YOURSELF" and "REMEMBER WHEN YOU WERE DEEP INSIDE ME WITH YOUR BUSTER SWORD, THAT WAS THE BIGGEST MOMENT OF OUR TIME TOGETHER" It's silly and childish and juvenile writing.

The FFVII Remake being able to improve on a shortfall in the OG's depiction of Sephiroth by letting him have a strong depiction in his own game, is a good thing.
Once again, I won't derail the spoiler thread with story talk but this is nonsense. The people who need more are people who don't understand the appeal of a villain not monologuing about killing the protags mom. Believe it or not, stories don't require braindead teen novel level of writing for villains to be villains.

Even if we ignore that this is a projection of Jenova, what they're choosing to do by having a "strong" depiction is just dicking around with Cloud the whole game and it's super annoying and produces some of the biggest tonal whiplash in the game. But then again I've gotten used to everyone just going "MOAR IS BETTER. NEW GOOD. OLD BAD. UNGA DUNGA"

Not saying they can't put him in more of the game but none of the dialogue and execution has been what I would consider" good" or even a step up from the OG 97 game. But I guess people didn't need things spelled out for them in 97 like they do now.

Sep 14, 2018
There's a lot of current day SE in the story from what I've seen, which is terrible obviously. Already getting XV nam flashbacks.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hasn't the implication always been that Sephiroth more or less merged with Jenova and became the dominant personality?

Plus figure at least some of the visions are Cloud's PTSD and trauma manifesting because of Jenova cell fuckery.
But then again I've gotten used to everyone just going "MOAR IS BETTER. NEW GOOD. OLD BAD. UNGA DUNGA"

Not saying they can't put him in more of the game but none of the dialogue and execution has been what I would consider" good" or even a step up from the OG 97 game. But I guess people didn't need things spelled out for them in 97 like they do now.
Dude I'm trying to be polite and not argue with people just because they have a lot of complaints but this isn't fucking necessary. There's no need to insult people because they dare actually enjoy the Remake but you're here calling them stupid.

Jimmypython

Oct 27, 2017

fxFoqBr.jpg
Impressive. The original FF7 also used pre-rendered CGI for background and environment, like many Resident Evil games.

Makodaioh2167

Mar 30, 2020
FF7 Remake: A remake of a PSone game from 1997

Technically, FFVII-Remake is a new adaptive remake but why quibble on details, eh?

Yes. The meta of Cloud vs Seph driven home by AC, KH, and other extended media is why he's shoehorned into every other scene. We know the "why" we just don't like it.

Guess a story including it's main characters in relevant scenes is shoehorning now. And believe it or not, good stories do not necessitate having a villain who only speaks around 20 lines of dialogue within their own game. I guess Sephiroth calling Cloud a puppet in the OG while putting him under the hero-bluescreen-of-death was some of that braindead teen novel writing, as well.

Whether it's Jenova or another force, it's still Sephiroth's will manifest. That's his character. If you hate Sephiroth, that's fair and valid opinion but don't pretend that the only way he can work as a villain is by being silent and hidden for 3/4ths of the story. But hey, keep that "Get Off My Lawn" energy and rail against the teens and their new stuff. That's a nuanced and open-minded perspective, for sure.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I prefer Sephiroth to be barely mentioned/seen but there's a lot of factors going on here:

1. Sephiroth is a ridiculously popular character and this lets them cash in on it.
2. Sephiroth is still a long ways away if the game stick strictly to the Midgar portion and we don't see Part for for another 2-3 years.
3. They're reshuffling story beats around.

I'm not crazy about Sephiroth appearing as a ominous angel of death vision to Cloud but I understand why they're doing it.

Main things I'm concerned about are:

-If boss battles remain obtuse throughout like the scorpion or as you learn the battle system they become less so
-Overall length in hours
-Any significant changes to characters' personalities or backstories

I really liked the demo and I'll definitely pick this up eventually, just not sure if I want to get it at launch for $60.

Sep 14, 2018
And that's bad why?

it's praying on Cloud fears and insecurities of weakness. You know that thing Sephiroth did constantly, yes even in the previous untainted original.

It's not bad that it happens, it's just that it seems a little too frequent for me, and the execution is pretty eye roll inducing.

I'm sure most people won't care though they'll just go "ooh look it's the seph!!1"

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I was a total fan of VII and Cloud is my favorite Protagonist in the series, and I say this because I think it's fucking amazing that they are going the direction they are.

Him having hellaish ptsd and Sephiroth Via Jenova playing on it is absolutely cool and is one of the most exciting things about the remake.

Granted I could have just been really stupid in 97 and it's why I like it, but I do.

FPX

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There are a few changes that I dislike, (the main one we've learned from data mining the demo, involving a certain Hojo conversation) but more Sephiroth might be a smart decision...Though from the preview bits and pieces I've seen it may be a little heavy-handed.

Still, new players being able to see Sephiroth instead of just some sword belonging to some dude named 'Sephiroth' suddenly lodged in one of the main antagonistic forces at the very end of the game would be...I think, worse. Tailoring it for new players is the smarter choice - there are plenty who've never played it or only know of it from osmosis, and people who have already played the game...Well, they've already played it, and can always just go back to it if they are so adamant against change.

I would have loved it if instead the player just hears people talk about the war hero Sephiroth and news reports about it, and only at the very end, we see Sephiroth himself stabbing Shinra, but it's to be expected.

To be honest I'm just relieved we don't have mopey emo Cloud.

Makodaioh2167

Mar 30, 2020
Granted I could have just been really stupid in 97 and it's why I like it, but I do.

I wouldn't be so self-deprecating. There's absolutely nothing inferior with finding joy in what you like.

...And if someone who finds JRPGs so insufferable is playing one of the most genre-defining JRPGs in gaming history, while expecting it to somehow not be a JRPG.... That's some Meteor level cognitive dissonance at work.

A work's expression is ultimately subjective, however one shouldn't just somehow expect a work to simply conform and abandon it's ultimate core principles. That'd be like me expecting Animal Crossing to abandon it's chill, fun, and gentle atmosphere for the sake of grittier storytelling and depth so that it may evolve to my perceived perspective of higher writing. So closed-minded.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think my biggest wish for the remake series is the chance for an actual boss fight against human form Sephiroth. So more of him showing up gives me hope.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah but only because everyone argues JRPGs have insufferable writing and/cheesy dialogue and this topic is further enforcing that being a good thing.

I just hoped for a bit of nuance instead of going full kingdom Hearts but I guess that's a lot to ask of a game.
Our boy Emet Selch pulled it off. He was so good. God I wish some rumors going about for next year are true.

FPX

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Can someone give me a close to definitive length of this game? I need to know so I'm not paying $60 for a 12 hour game.

There's been a minimum of one request a page or something. No one has beaten the game yet so we don't even know.

Even if they did, we likely wouldn't know if it's indicative of a typical playthrough unless that person specifies (did they do all the sidequests? Ignore them all? Maxed out materia and weapons? Mash through conversations?) You might have multiple impressions, likely when review embargo lifts.

Status
Not open for further replies.