• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What should happen to Aerith in the FFVIIR saga?

• She should die, it's her destiny

Votes: 395 57.7%
  • She should live, fuck destiny

Votes: 289 42.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
The World Map theme is pure adventure in musical form. Midgar is a slum
But Member??? Member the World Map? Member FF7? lol Sorry I'm being overly hyperbolic, but that's what it feels like since there are a multitude of other themes that fit the slums in the OST that would fit better.

While I understand the sentiment the world theme is the main theme of FFVII and I was wondering if they were gonna use it because of that.

Aaand I'm actually excited to listen it.
I know that's how the majority will feel. It's pure member berry smoothie to everyone.

EDIT: Stream went down.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
Allright, next stream then. They're only going to get more numerous as days go by. His last word were "ooh la..."

Pavemaniac

Sep 10, 2019
Yep, this is exactly the side-content players wanted Square; all cat-finding and rat-killing sidequests.

EDIT - oh well, seems they've finally caught up to the steamer.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Things we learned so far: Two sidequests shown and one was killing rats and one was finding 3 cats. So...good start...

Allright, next stream then. They're only going to get more numerous as days go by. His last word were "ooh la..."
Let me know when you find another. I'm mainly curious to see systems and progression. At this point the story is kinda whatevs, I'll dive into that when I play it.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I think you might need a team mate to save you. Otherwise, you are stuck.

That seems like insultingly bad design, honestly. If your party is paralyzed or dead a rat jumping on you is a guaranteed game over? They couldn't be that silly.

That is a reach and you know it. This isn't at all evidence of that.

We'll see. All I'm saying is that wasting the Main Theme here and not saving it for its real debut moment is a red flag.

Deleted member 64666

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 20, 2020
That seems like insultingly bad design, honestly. If your party is paralyzed or dead a rat jumping on you is a guaranteed game over? They couldn't be that silly.
I can definitely see how frustrating that is. But it seems like you are stuck for at least a given period of time in that position. Maybe it's fixed on the Day 1 patch?

None of the players so far have said they downloaded the Day 1 patch.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
It's really brothering me that they're using the world theme in Midgar.
A huge part of going into the world map for the first time, for me, was the theme.
There are a lot of things from later in the game that they're bringing in early. You're not supposed to see Seph at all in Midgar. But I think it's the right choice to bring in overworld theme here. There is a lot more time now and the slums theme would get very old. Maybe there will be a bigger, more orchestrated version of the overworld theme once you leave Midgar. My personal quibbles are: You should be able to "hide" Clouds sword when not in combat. It looks completely ridiculous in HD and realistically people would be recoiling in fear at the sight of it. In the original game you never saw the sword when exploring. Also there should be outfit options in 2020. Tifa going on a quest in bartender clothes isn't realistic feeling and looks way out of place. They should have given her some practical clothes (like everyone else is wearing in Avalanche) and let the player revert to bartender clothes if its their choice.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019

We'll see. All I'm saying is that wasting the Main Theme here and not saving it for its real debut moment is a red flag.
Chapter 2 showed a severe disdain for the original soundtrack imo, but I know that's up to my own personal biases. Not using Heart of Anxiety except for one brief flash of Nibel in the Bombin Mission and going from Shinra theme, to Seph theme, to Aeris theme, to Battle theme for the next 30 minutes just feels like they're rushing you through the story to get back to combat encounters.

We've seen such a small piece of the game though at this point, and Chapter 3 is where it opens up clearly, so we'll see what happens.

It seems a majority of the soundtrack is being just shoved in to punctuate moments and make everyone remember the themes instead of being used to contextualize and/or emphasize the story beats. But I say that because I know I'm miffed about them not only dropping Seph's full theme but also the World Map theme in Chapter 3 of the first game. I know other people won't share that critique.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018

It's a pin attack. MHW has a lot of those, including an insta-kill one. If he hadn't sucked so bad he let Tifa die he just needed to react.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
There are a lot of things from later in the game that they're bringing in early. You're not supposed to see Seph at all in Midgar. But I think it's the right choice to bring in overworld theme here. There is a lot more time now and the slums theme would get very old. Maybe there will be a bigger, more orchestrated version of the overworld theme once you leave Midgar. My personal quibbles are: You should be able to "hide" Clouds sword when not in combat. It looks completely ridiculous in HD and realistically people would be recoiling in fear at the sight of it. In the original game you never saw the sword when exploring. Also there should be outfit options in 2020. Tifa going on a quest in bartender clothes isn't realistic feeling and looks way out of place. They should have given her some practical clothes (like everyone else is wearing in Avalanche) and let the player revert to bartender clothes if its their choice.
Here's two themes that would fit Midgar better they could have used from the original OST(that WERE used for the slums):

Guys, are you not happy in life? I see complaints everywhere.
These posts add about as much to the topic.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
So 81 in metacritic like ffxv?
It'll rate higher. The only people who will care about the sidequest quality and music and story changes are assholes like myself. It'll most likely be high 90s unless they really drop the ball in later chapters.

too much useless complain here, i really like what I saw so far. Can't wait to play it, i don't care about simple sidequest, they are optional.
The only thing more tedious and annoying than complaints are the people complaining about the complainers lol. At least we're having a discussion.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
I'm wondering something. Could he invest the points directly into the weapons core or did he have to buy the skills around it to level up the core? As in, all have to be highlighted?

Skunk

Oct 28, 2017
You should be able to "hide" Clouds sword when not in combat. It looks completely ridiculous in HD and realistically people would be recoiling in fear at the sight of it. In the original game you never saw the sword when exploring.

I'm not sure Cloud pulling a 7-foot sword out of his ass every time he gets near an enemy would be any *more* realistic than people not recoiling in fear at his sword in a world where people are used to seeing swords (since like every town or slum has a shop that sells them).

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
I'm not sure Cloud pulling an 7-foot sword out of his ass every time he gets near an enemy would be any *more* realistic than people not recoiling in fear at his sword in a world where people are used to seeing swords (since like every town or slum has a shop that sells them).
I just wish it was an option. Plenty of modern action adventure games have done it.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
You should be able to break out of it if your party members are dead or incapacitated. It's stupid.
I'm actually fine with a mechanic punishing you for not managing using the team swap/managing your team properly, but I'm not sure if this is the good version of that. But hey we've only seen one version of it, we don't know if they missed a prompt or something.

if this game was on PC i would get it

same for Persona 5
It will eventually be on PC to my knowledge.

I'm not sure Cloud pulling a 7-foot sword out of his ass every time he gets near an enemy would be any *more* realistic than people not recoiling in fear at his sword in a world where people are used to seeing swords (since like every town or slum has a shop that sells them).
I want to see Gun Guy. There's a dude literally just unloading like an automatic rifle in the original Sector 7 slums across from one of the shops into a dummy and I want to see that lol.

Conal

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Here's two themes that would fit Midgar better they could have used from the original OST(that WERE used for the slums):

These posts add about as much to the topic.

To be honest the NPC aren't helping either. Everyone looks like a barista.

EDIT:

I wanted this:

Not really. Maybe modern representation, but if we go by the NPC models in the original, they were pretty varied in style:

latest
latest
latest
latest
latest
latest
latest
latest
latest

I think the Boss and the women that that use that model were designed to be inspired by a 1950s look:
latest

There's also Johnny, of course (we'll see him in Episode 1):
latest

And maybe Episode 2 or 3, when we get to Corel and Gold Saucer, we'll see Mr. Coates and Ester(two I'm anticipating):
latest
latest

If anything, FFVII Remake's world needs less Normies and more spikey haired characters with unique fashion tastes.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
I mean the original Midgar has goofy ass looking NPCs so I'm not going to nitpick that far, but using the WORLD MAP theme in this game for just walking around the slums in a tiny map (when it should have been like, the final theme of the game as they leave Midgar leading to the cliffhanger for part II) just kinda irks me a bit.

There are themes used in FF7's Slums for each section. Wall MArket's theme is diferent than Sector 5 and so on. I guess they just didn't want to use the already used theme for Sector 7's exploration (Barret's theme would have been a little hammy to use I'll admit that, but that's before the Sector 5 mission so it'll probably come in at that point).

Deleted member 64666

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 20, 2020
While I did like what I saw overall in the gameplay, I am very very doubtful about Square's ability to produce a convincing open-world game in Part 2.

Pavemaniac

Sep 10, 2019
I'm actually fine with a mechanic punishing you for not managing using the team swap/managing your team properly, but I'm not sure if this is the good version of that. But hey we've only seen one version of it, we don't know if they missed a prompt or something.
Agreed. The guy was rarely using ATB and switching members the first time. I like that the game punishes you for not using abilities regularly and requires you to keep an eye on your party. If you're playing this game through by just button mashing square and only using your ATB just to spam heals when near-death then it will be a hard slog. Know all your abilities and how to best utilise them to kill the enemy ASAP. That is what you'll need to do to get though this game.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Yeah, I wouldn't begrudge you that option at all, my eyebrow just raised quizzically if it were on the basis of "realism" lol
It's one of the issues with designing these games as things get more realistic and why games like Xenoblade 2, KH, etc have weapons "apparate" out of thin air. So that people aren't walking around looking like murder machines. I actually prefer the grounded approach of having a Merc wearing his sword because it normalizes the behavior. Lots of fallout from Shinra and lots of mercs and people in the slums looking for work (after all Zack wasn't the first to come up with that idea), so it fits the world they're trying to set. They just need a few other people with weapons, and we haven't seen if maybe they do yet.

So someone summarise the vibe so far? Great, good, bad, disappointing?
For everyone that was already sold they're going to continue to be sold.

Two sidequests so far were underwhelming, but in the intro part of the game when it first opens up. Chapter 1 and 2 are shorter and railroaded for the most part, and they use the world map theme for slums exploration. I don't think anyone is going to be "un-sold" by the content at play here, but the sidequest offerings so far are pretty hammy, and the script for things like "invisible army"and stuff are kinda cringe and feel off being inserted into old dialogue, but nothing most people will care about.

EDIT:

I wanted this:
I mean they abandoned the diesel/cyberpunk feel for more standard FFXV modern day adjacent tone from the getgo for the most part. Unfortunately that's just the new direction. Even the more "hammy" characters like Corneo are more realistic now, which is fine, but they were never going to do triangle shades and blade runner NPCs in this game. The new direction of Square just isn't that, and it's harder to mass produce and modularize npcs with such "unique" features and make them not look sameface. It's a double edged sword but I agree I'd have prefered more like that.

Agreed. The guy was rarely using ATB and switching members the first time. I like that the game punishes you for not using abilities regularly and requires you to keep an eye on your party. If you're playing this game through by just button mashing square and only using your ATB just to spam heals when near-death then it will be a hard slog. Know all your abilities and how to best utilise them to kill the enemy ASAP. That is what you'll need to do to get though this game.
I agree there should be mechanics like this, I just don't know if pincer attacks and slowly watching your health drain while you're stuck is the way to go. I think just a pin with a one attack reduction of HP, while the big gameplay impact being lack of movement and control would be a fairer/better balance personally. IT still allows for punishment of not managing your other party members without making you watch your character slowly get its face eaten while being able to do nothing. Again though we'll see when more people encounter it if there's a way to shake it off/counter that.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018

He was playing so poorly. All he did with Tifa is the square and triangle attack, ATB gauge was full. And when he finally realized Tifa was low on hp, he used cure on cloud. Didn't even use one of Tifa's ATB to pop her a potion (28 in stock...).

Last edited:

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
He was playing so poorly. All he did with Tifa is the square and triangle attack, ATB gauge was full. And when he finally realized Tifa was low on hp, he used cure on cloud. Didn't even use one of Tifa's ATB to pop her a potion.
This is a good thing. It means that people have to actually engage with the ATB system to make the combat work. This makes the combat work better in my eyes.

The only people here are those who don't care about spoilers and those looking for things to justify their complaints about the game.
I'd like to think I'm being super fair when discussing it personally. I'm not going scorched earth and saying everything is awful, there's just some questionable choices that I'm seeing being made. That being said I know already and have stated before most of my commentary isn't going to be shared by a vast amount of people looking at or playing the game.

All in all there are a bunch of cool small moments like Barret's reaction when he realizes he says he was worried about Cloud and stuff, but then silly stuff like Aeris fighting invisible ghosts. There's plenty of good and weird there to talk about, but all we've seen is early game, so I don't think anyone should write off the game based on Chapter 3 of an 18 part game.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is a good thing. It means that people have to actually engage with the ATB system to make the combat work. This makes the combat work better in my eyes.

I'd like to think I'm being super fair when discussing it personally. I'm not going scorched earth and saying everything is awful, there's just some questionable choices that I'm seeing being made. That being said I know already and have stated before most of my commentary isn't going to be shared by a vast amount of people looking at or playing the game.

All in all there are a bunch of cool small moments like Barret's reaction when he realizes he says he was worried about Cloud and stuff, but then silly stuff like Aeris fighting invisible ghosts. There's plenty of good and weird there to talk about, but all we've seen is early game, so I don't think anyone should write off the game based on Chapter 3 of an 18 part game.
I deleted the comment because I felt I was being to mean. I'm really hyped so I'm not trying to let that make me to emotional if I see people complaining. I don't want to come across as a "stop disliking what I like!"

I was hoping I caught it in time but I guess not, sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.