• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What should happen to Aerith in the FFVIIR saga?

• She should die, it's her destiny

Votes: 395 57.7%
  • She should live, fuck destiny

Votes: 289 42.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

IzzyRX

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Everything is a mess and I'm loving it.
Honestly, it's Nomura post-KH, how did anyone expected something straight and narrow?

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
User warned: Ableist language.
Reading the spoilers feels like an elaborate April 1st joke.
Alternate universes? That's retarded.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Everything is a mess and I'm loving it.
Honestly, it's Nomura post-KH, how did anyone expected something straight and narrow?

The millions of people who have no clue who Nomura is and are being mislead by the marketing will be, yeah.

The vast majority of people who buy this game aren't going to expect "Final Fantasy VII Remake" to not actually be a remake of Final Fantasy VII.

Deleted member 58141

user requested account closure
Banned
Jun 23, 2019
Just finished the game. Wow. Just wow.

I don't care what anyone thinks. This is x10000 more exciting than if they just remade FFVII as an Action RPG.

It also sets a precedent so Nomura can do a FFXV Remake that's basically versus later down the line. :p

But seriously.. That last hour of the game? Wow. Elevated the overall package ridiculously. Such a wonderful streak of insane boss fights.

ASilentProtagonist

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017

I don't care what anyone thinks. This is x10000 more exciting than if they just remade FFVII as an Action RPG.

It also sets a precedent so Nomura can do a FFXV Remake that's basically versus later down the line. :p

But seriously.. That last hour of the game? Wow. Elevated the overall package ridiculously. Such a wonderful streak of insane boss fights.

Thanks for the thoughts. I look forward to playing this on PS5.

hrœrekr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 3, 2019
This could have been a sequel where they retcon the events and go towards a new direction. Still bad, but would be honest.

But don't sell as a Remake for God's sake.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017

Would you say the assertions of this being an Alternate Universe FFVII are on point?

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When Nomura said the Remake doesn't take place in the same continuity as the Compilation of FFVII, he meant it literally

IzzyRX

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I'm hoping a portal opens and Sora comes out in part 2. And then Sephiroth talks about how he fought him before. Making KH canon to FF 7.
Yozora will appear as a secret boss in FFVIIR-2.
The millions of people who have no clue who Nomura is and are being mislead by the marketing will be, yeah.

The vast majority of people who buy this game aren't going to expect "Final Fantasy VII Remake" to not actually be a remake of Final Fantasy VII.
Well, it's a shame but it is how it is.
A similar example, is Yoko Taro. You never get the same game twice.

Narroo

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
Final Fantasy XIV is the best Final Fantasy story in 15+ years. The problem is that it only really gets good in the expansions and it's a 40+ hour commitment just to get to those.
Which is a form of bad writing in of itself. If it takes 40+ hours for the story to get good -- not counting the original release of FFXIV -- then it still has quite a bit of bad writing in it. (I'd wonder if after 40+ hours if it's not just stockholm syndrome....) And even then, that's not a high bar to pass.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017

As someone who's finished it and seen everything in context, does it feel like the story won't continue on the same path as the original, or does it feel like it'll continue on a similar path but with some added meta/AU elements?

Venuslulu

Oct 28, 2017
lmao where did I *ever* say someone isn't a true gamer if they didn't play FF7 when it came out

lazy or they don't care about the game? yes, absolutely. i don't care about someone's gamer™ cred especially since i hate most gamers

you're completely delusional, and this conversation is no longer entertaining

When was a generation ever owed a remake of a game that is a 1:1 of something that already exist. I think Plum Needs to take a breath.

Glowing impressions from both the people who've finished it so far on Era, and then we got pages of people saying this killed gaming for a new generation. What a thread.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
When Nomura said the Remake doesn't take place in the same continuity as the Compilation of FFVII, he meant it literally

And the stuff they're including is probably to play on players expectations. Kitase's remarks seemed odd when he was asked about content from the Compilation being in the game (CC references, AC music, a character from the Turks Side Story) but I guess this was to play on players more directly when the curtain was pulled.

One could have assumed Nomura's remarks meant he wasn't going to be held to non-Remake events in a 1:1 fashion, allowing wiggle room. Instead, it literally meant "they literally occur in another timeline".

Pastel Melon

Jan 2, 2020
Germany

[...]

AAAH, I am happy that I am not alone with my excitement!!!

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Glowing impressions from both the people who've finished it so far on Era, and then we got pages of people saying this killed gaming for a new generation. What a thread.
I believe their impressions and it does excite me to read them, but it's also N=2 from people who have beaten a 40+ hour game one week prior to its release. I'm curious how the rest of the impressions from Era will shake out.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
Which is a form of bad writing in of itself. If it takes 40+ hours for the story to get good -- not counting the original release of FFXIV -- then it still has quite a bit of bad writing in it. (I'd wonder if after 40+ hours if it's not just stockholm syndrome....) And even then, that's not a high bar to pass.
Yeah, it's more accurate to say that the FFXIV expansion have the best writing for the series in years.

But it's definitely not stockholm syndrome. A Realm Reborn (the first storyline) is widely regarded as the weakest one by fans of the game and is considered a slog to get through to this day. No one looks at it with rose-tinted glasses. The expansions, specifically Heavensward and *especially* Shadowbringers, rival the best the series has to offer, right up there with the SNES/PS1 era.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Damn

Nomura-Verse taking over.

When is our Square Enix shared universe going to connect?

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, I've been saying all along that the most -interesting- (not necessarily best) thing they could do with this game was change the story. I haven't followed this but I skimmed the last page. Are they going to change -that- moment?!

Venuslulu

Oct 28, 2017
I believe their impressions and it does excite me to read them, but it's also N=2 from people who have beaten a 40+ hour game one week prior to its release. I'm curious how the rest of the impressions from Era will shake out.

No matter how good the game is, I don't expect anyone in the thread that disliked this game in advance to like it after playing it.

Soma

Oct 27, 2017
San Francisco
i haven't read spoilers in-depth yet but oh my god is this game pulling an Evangelion 2.0???

this somehow makes me more interested now

ScionN7

Oct 26, 2019

Yeah this right here is what I was talking about earlier. Hearing about story details in a written form on the Internet, and actually experiencing the game for yourself are two totally different things.

Narroo

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
Yeah, it's more accurate to say that the FFXIV expansion have the best writing for the series in years.

But it's definitely not stockholm syndrome. A Realm Reborn (the first storyline) is widely regarded as the weakest one by fans of the game and is considered a slog to get through to this day. No one looks at it with rose-tinted glasses. The expansions, specifically Heavensward and *especially* Shadowbringers, rival the best the series has to offer, right up there with the SNES/PS1 era.
Right, well I played a realm reborn before the expansions came out, and dear god I hated that ye-olde butchered english and the dialogue.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017

You will try hard mode ?

Deleted member 58141

user requested account closure
Banned
Jun 23, 2019
Would you say the assertions of this being an Alternate Universe FFVII are on point?

The game is very blunt about it I'm not sure where the confusion is coming from.

To summarize: the events of the original Final Fantasy VII is the "Prime" timeline. It's fate. How things supposed to go.

The remake is set in another timeline where, for some reason, things aren't going as they're supposed to, so "Fate" is trying to correct it and force it into the prime timeline again. The whispers / arbiters of fate are its tool for this.

Sephiroth wants to defy fate, but so does the party. In the last chapter, you literally fight the manifestation of fate while seeing visions of future events from the original game. Red XIII says that this is "tomorrow if we don't win today".

They win. Fate is defied. And from now on, the future isn't set in stone anyore. Anything can happen. The game demonstrate this by showing that Biggs is still alive, and hinting at a different end for Zack.

Anything can happen in the sequel. Aerith can live, Barret can die. It's an alternative story from now forward. The objective is still the same, though. The party still aims to stop Sephiroth.

As someone who's finished it and seen everything in context, does it feel like the story won't continue on the same path as the original, or does it feel like it'll continue on a similar path but with some added meta/AU elements?

The objective is still to stop Sephiroth but other than that, it seems like they're making a point that anything can happen now and they're not adhered to the original game (fate) anymore.

AAAH, I am happy that I am not alone with my excitement!!!

I'm now excited for the sequel than I ever was for the first installment. Can't wait to see where this ride is going!

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't wait for the Ot and spoiler thread to converge lol
HYBYHBm.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
The game is very blunt about it I'm not sure where the confusion is coming from.

To summarize: the events of the original Final Fantasy VII is the "Prime" timeline. It's fate. How things supposed to go.

The remake is set in another timeline where, for some reason, things aren't going as they're supposed to, so "Fate" is trying to correct it and force it into the prime timeline again. The whispers / arbiters of fate are its tool for this.

Sephiroth wants to defy fate, but so does the party. In the last chapter, you literally fight the manifestation of fate while seeing visions of future events from the original game. Red XIII says that this is "tomorrow if we don't win today".

They win. Fate is defied. And from now on, the future isn't set in stone anyore. Anything can happen. The game demonstrate this by showing that Biggs is still alive, and hinting at a different end for Zack.

Anything can happen in the sequel. Aerith can live, Barret can die. It's an alternative story from now forward. The objective is still the same, though. The party still aims to stop Sephiroth.

The objective is still to stop Sephiroth but other than that, it seems like they're making a point that anything can happen now and they're not adhered to the original game (fate) anymore.

I'm now excited for the sequel than I ever was for the first installment. Can't wait to see where this ride is going!

GOD I'M SO FUCKING HYPED

I NEED THIS GAME D:

Still gotta wait for a sale or PC version, lmao.

Lobster Roll

Sep 24, 2019

Appreciate these impressions, especially the clarification of plot differentiation.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
WTF at these story spoilers SE has gone crazy but you know what i going to be there for all of it .
This has me hype in a funny way and makes me look forward to the other parts more to see what going to stay the same or change.

Last edited:

Plum

May 31, 2018

How would you say the game might be for someone who doesn't care about the original? My main worry with these changes is that the whole 'fate' stuff will feel seperated from the themes carried over from the original. However (and despite what some have said) I'm not going to deny the possibility that they've implemented them in such a way that doesn't feel like you need to have experienced FFVII to appreciate it.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My guess is time itself has a Timestream, the same way the planet has a Lifestream, and the Whispers are the Timestream's versions of WEAPON

sinonobu

Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait for the Mickey appearance in Part 2!

And the part where Cloud get's isekai'd into Shibuya!!

Anaron

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is so much more fun than a straight up remake lol.

I agree tbh

they were NEVER going to do VII justice based on the compilation or without Sakaguchi so might as well do something different.

I'm still dying at those losers who were saying "don't play the original just wait for the 1/4 remake" 😂

Lobster Roll

Sep 24, 2019
I agree tbh

they were NEVER going to do VII justice based on the compilation or without Sakaguchi so might as well do something different.
What's interesting is the chatter I've seen from people who want FFVI remade as well. I cannot imagine what they'd do with VI haha

Status
Not open for further replies.