• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
I'm aware the ability to use Google can be as difficult as replacing the toilet roll so here.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6057416/
Imdb can be edited by anyone afaik.

And Beau Billingsea has already said that the new trailer's voice isn't his (he voiced him in the 2015 trailer, though). Steve Burton seems to also be gone.

EDIT: I'd be surprised if the new VA isn't black though. I don't think S-E is so stupid.

EDIT2: actually, I don't know if that was his Twitter account. I assumed it was because I saw many here posting it (I'm not too familiar with American VAs). I just checked and FUNimation and other verified users follow him, though, so it probably is.

Last edited:

Bomi-Chan

Nov 8, 2017
just a stupid Question: does a voice Actor has to be black to voice a black character?
does the voice Actor has to be chinese/korean/japanese to speak for anime character?
am i missing something or is this an american Thing?

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
As a black man the idea that he is not 'black' enough in appearance is absurd. This gets in some real gross issues of what people expect us black men to look, act and sound like and the ones trying to act woke and act like they are our allies are the ones being racist.

Guess I should turn in my black card.

This. It seriously pissed me off when I saw this online. Not to mention the pictures used are with lighting in the area throwing off things.

Its like... have you EVER seen a dark skinned person standing near something bright before? The model and skin tone is absolutely fine. And I am SUPER impressed they didnt go fucking wild with stereotypical features and shit. They nailed this, and fools are acting stupid online.

Conal

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
just a stupid Question: does a voice Actor has to be black to voice a black character?
does the voice Actor has to be chinese/korean/japanese to speak for anime character?
am i missing something or is this an american Thing?

It shouldn't matter and only really does because black people are already underrepresented in the voice acting community.

If minority actors cant even book jobs to play minority characters, what chance do they have to land a leading role in an industry full to the brim with straight white male heros?

And yes, before people start quoting me Kratos, I know he's played by a black man but that is very much the exception and not the rule.

Bomi-Chan

Nov 8, 2017
It shouldn't matter and only really does because black people are already underrepresented in the voice acting community.

If minority actors cant even book jobs to play minority characters, what chance do they have to land a leading role in an industry full to the brim with straight white male heros?

And yes, before people start quoting me Kratos, I know he's played by a black man but that is very much the exception and not the rule.
so black voice actors should only be allowed to voice black characters? sounds like a vicious cycle to me.
minorities should only voice minorities? why should we go this way?
the companies should take in anyone who has a good voice.
and anime/games/movies should take in anyone who is a good Actor, not to represent minorities.
i the the new splat Sisters( in german they are called perla and marina)
because this is the very first time for me, that a "dark skinned" female character Looks cool to me.
next to KAT from gravity rush, i have not seen any "dark skinned" female characters before, who were slightly cool, yet alone being a lead character.

barret is cool, but this whole discussion that black characters should not belong into FF games(back in 2010, it was because sazh was part of the cast) just left me in utter shock, and i believe so are the japanese, to see such an outcry over a black character in a videogame.

Last edited:

Cyn

Oct 31, 2017
Isn't this more "deluded white folks trying to spark controversy but only getting like 8 likes"?

Conal

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I agree. So why are minorities so underrepresented in the industry in general? Are minorities intrinsically worse at acting or are there perhaps other issues at play?

Would you be against putting a foot on the scale if it meant better voice acting in video games?

Last edited:

liquidmetal14

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Ridiculous nitpicking. And even if comparing earlier renders it's just like comparing early texture work to finished product. That's why a game goes under development changes. Making something out of nothing.........again.

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
He's being flashed with a very bright white light, that'll happen. I made a example in Final Fantasy XIV with some white lighting.

DOGELPD.jpg

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
In that first shot, there's clearly a high-intensity light source shining on him.

Deleted member 9971

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lighting literally is one of the most important aspects with pictures and photographs and selfies. Someone can look way different depending on the light source or flashes in the back ground. Same for videos really so its just realistic lightning. No whitewashing.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
so black voice actors should only be allowed to voice black characters? sounds like a vicious cycle to me.
and anime/games/movies should take in anyone who is a good Actor, not to represent minorities.
i the the new splat Sisters( in german they are called perla and marina)
because this is the very first time for me, that a "dark skinned" female character Looks cool to me.
next to KAT from gravity rush, i have not seen any "dark skinned" female characters before, who were slightly cool, yet alone being a lead character.
Try to understand the arguments presented to you. No one is saying black VAs should only voice black characters or that only minority people can be VAs for minority characters. What is being said is that currently, minorities are at a disadvantage when looking for VA jobs and that there should be some focus on righting that wrong. CURRENTLY the least we can do is at least give them the few minority roles that exist as a first step of making the situation better, for as long as needed to nurture a healthier, more diverse pool of talented voice actors.

Hopefully in the future the situation will be such that minorities aren't discriminated against and we don't have to worry as much about these things, but as things still are, minorities do have a harder time getting roles (minority ones or not).

barret is cool, but this whole discussion that black characters should not belong into FF games(back in 2010, it was because sazh was part of the cast) just left me in utter shock, and i believe so are the japanese, to see such an outcry over a black character in a videogame.
Who has EVER said that black characters shouldn't be in a Final Fantasy game? People have maybe criticized Japanese developers'/Square Enix's stereotypical handling of black characters, but I have seen absolutely NO ONE outside of bigoted racist circles saying that black characters do not belong to Final Fantasy games at all. Criticism of the handling of some black characters =/= "don't do it at all."

Conal

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
CURRENTLY the least we can do is at least give them the few minority roles that exist as a first step of making the situation better, for as long as needed to nurture a healthier, more diverse pool of talented voice actors.

Yeah, this was the intention of my comment. Spot on.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
What the hell, Barret is too damn pretty....

And those bishonen scars what the heeellll

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No light source excuse now. Although POC has replaced black in current racial discourse so maybe he falls under that.

InfiniDragon

Oct 25, 2017
As one black man's opinion, new Barret looks effing awesome in that render.

He does have straight, spiked hair near the top, but that's not necessarily unrealistic. My own hair will and curl and coil up when it's longer into an afro, but stays straight when shorter. The side of his hair does appear to curl more, and the beard being straight is perfectly normal also.

His tone and overall facial structure is good too, idealized but you can clearly look at him without a texture and tell he's a black man. I'm really satisfied with his look myself, but I can understand anyone else's misgivings from Japanese devs, as they tend to sadly have a history of whitewashing.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
You want to know what I just realized? Everyone has different monitors. I'm looking at this on a high nit 4K screen, so Barret is very obviously black to me. There's very rich brown tones. But if your screen is more washed out than mine, I can see how he would look olive.

WadeIt0ut

Oct 28, 2017
Iowa
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it a thing where less direct the light is on darker skin tones the lighter it will appear due to the light being more reflective that way? Isn't this something they teach in like painting and photography?

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
For reference, this is a white actor voicing a black character in the way that he thinks a black man would sound like:

Now, this is a black man voicing a black character:

Hear the very very explicit difference?
No light source excuse now
There's still very very clearly a bright light source in the scene file. Unless you think his forehead is miraculously brighter than the rest of his skin.

ΑGITΩ

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Midgar has Samoans? Because he looks more like he can be played by Dwayne The Rock Johnson than a Black man in a live action film.

Oct 26, 2017
People are out of their minds if they see that render and think "white".

Sure, he's a bit more pretty now and some of the hair on the top of his head is too straight, but come on. lol

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New Barret is way too good looking. The old model looked like how he should: Someone that has been through a lot of tough shit.