• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Keylow

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe no one knew it would be "20+ million units in a quarter" huge, but anyone with reasonable expectations knew it would be huge in general. Based off of previous handheld entries it clearly had a floor of 12 million, and the vast majority of high profile 1st party titles on Switch have massively outperformed series norms. And plenty of people, myself included, were saying back in March that COVID was going to have a significant and disproportionate positive impact on AC.
That's what I meant with that. Not that the game was not going to be big or not sell well. I mean that why I bought the game was because of COVID. AC really helped me get through the first month of COVID

LordOcidax

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was expecting a lot more actually... 5 is just OK for a FF7 remake considering the PS4 installbase and the hype that was created. ¿Did you guys think that the sequel is going to sell more?

Feb 9, 2018
Good numbers for an exclusive. Once the Xbox & PC versions release next year it should give a solid boost to its lifetime sales.

Also, even with physical copies being scarce, they still managed to make up 60% of all copies sold. Goes to show how much demand there still is for physical games on console, especially single-player games.

Now we just wait for Part 2.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll be honest I expected more. This is supposed to be the defacto "iconic" Playstation release that's been hyped for decades.

It's not like the sales are bad, they're definitely good, but they're not exactly mind blowing either. That FF7 vs. Animal Crossing thread aged hilariously bad, that wasn't even a contest.

But even something like Zelda: BOTW seemingly is going to sell a ton more than FF7 Remake whereas OoT Vs. FF7 was in FF7's favor.

FrostweaveBandage

Unshakable Resolve
Sep 27, 2019
FFVII-R has already outsold FFXIII on the Playstation platform, which sold just under 5M lifetime. Low bar to clear considering XIII's unpopularity, but it was a pretty hot seller in the beginning too.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I'll be honest I expected more. This is supposed to be the defacto "iconic" Playstation release that's been hyped for decades.

It's not like the sales are bad, they're definitely good, but they're not exactly mind blowing either. That FF7 vs. Animal Crossing thread aged hilariously bad, that wasn't even a contest.

But even something like Zelda: BOTW seemingly is going to sell a ton more than FF7 Remake whereas OoT Vs. FF7 was in FF7's favor.
You can't compare FF7R to botw, lol.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You can't compare FF7R to botw, lol.

I mean why not. 3 1/2 years ago many people would've said a hypothetical FF7 Remake would thrash BOTW in sales. There's a fair chance Ring Fit Adventure will outsell FF7R eventually if Nintendo can ever properly stock the game, you'd probably get laughed off this board if you said that a year ago.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
I was expecting a lot more actually... 5 is just OK for a FF7 remake considering the PS4 installbase and the hype that was created. ¿Did you guys think that the sequel is going to sell more?

Traditionally speaking FF sequels have had huge drop offs compared to the original game. However, this is different because we've known from the beginning that this is a multi-game project, as opposed to X-2 and the XIII sequels which were pretty obviously shoe horned in after the fact to make use of existing assets, XIII-2 even had to retcon the ending for it to even be plausible.

If they can even maintain the sales here that would be huge because the sequels shouldn't take nearly as long as the mainline games do to develop.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I mean why not. 3 1/2 years ago many people would've said a hypothetical FF7 Remake would thrash BOTW in sales.
At the time, no one knew the switch would be nearly as big as it is. It was huge from the start, and botw was at launch, and been a defecto game to get for so many people getting a switch. Not comparable to ff7, which is still a single player jrpg, and is competing directly against other single player adventure games with the ps4 demographic.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI

It's not like the sales are bad, they're definitely good, but they're not exactly mind blowing either. T

The sales are just simply good. They're fantastic.

Proof of this comes from the fact that it exceeded Square's expectations to the point where they have decided to expand the scope of the next game's development.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
I mean why not. 3 1/2 years ago many people would've said a hypothetical FF7 Remake would thrash BOTW in sales.

If your expectations for video game success is "Double the sales of the previous best selling entry in the franchise" then there's only been a handful of successful games this gen.

FF7R will likely be the best selling game in a nearly 35 year old franchise, i think that will do just fine for Square Enix.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I mean why not. 3 1/2 years ago many people would've said a hypothetical FF7 Remake would thrash BOTW in sales. There's a fair chance Ring Fit Adventure will outsell FF7R eventually if Nintendo can ever properly stock the game, you'd probably get laughed off this board if you said that a year ago.

Why are you basing your thoughts on what people on forums would have said?

The only thing that matters is the expectations of the publisher.

And in general, your comparisons don't hold up. BOTW is the outlier of the series, which has never seen success like it before. And comparing it to a casual exercise game that exploded in sales during a worldwide pandemic doesn't make sense.

It's like saying, "I can't believe Wii Sports sold more than Final Fantasy XIII!"

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If your expectations for video game success is "Double the sales of the previous best selling entry in the franchise" then there's only been a handful of successful games this gen.

My expectations were more that it would be one of the bigger selling games this generation given how iconic it was on the first Playstation and the years of hype.

For clarity sake I'm not saying the game is not selling well, it is. Just if you had told me a few years ago that between say Zelda: BOTW, Ring Fit Adventure (a fitness JRPG), Monster Hunter World, and Final Fantasy VII Remake, that FF7R would be of fairly high quality but would end up being possibly the lowest selling of that group potentially, I'd have to say I probably wouldn't believe it.

I would've said that has maybe a 1% chance of happening. Welp, it looks like we're living in that 1%.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
My expectations were more that it would be one of the bigger selling games this generation given how iconic it was on the first Playstation and the years of hype.

For clarity sake I'm not saying the game is not selling well, it is. Just if you had told me a few years ago that between say Zelda: BOTW, Ring Fit Adventure (a fitness JRPG), Monster Hunter World, and Final Fantasy VII Remake, that FF7R would be of fairly high quality but would end up being possibly the lowest selling of that group potentially, I'd have to say I probably wouldn't believe it.

I would've said that has maybe a 1% chance of happening. Welp, here we are in the 1%.
Wii fit is one of the highest selling games ever and isn't even a jrpg, it's just a virtual workout sim. So if anything ringfit is a downgrade from that in sales.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017

For clarity sake I'm not saying the game is not selling well, it is. Just if you had told me a few years agp that between say Zelda: BOTW, Ring Fit Adventure (a fitness JRPG), Monster Hunter World, and Final Fantasy VII Remake, that FF7R would be of fairly high quality but would end up being possibly the lowest selling of that group potentially, I'd have to say I probably wouldn't believe it.

I don't know the relevance of a game being iconic in a sales thread. The OG game never came close to touching the sales of BOTW or MHW even with 10 years of 5 dollar PSN sales. Calling it iconic doesn't change that. i don't know why a handful of franchises blowing up is suddenly the expectation for every game.

Nintendo routinely puts out medium size budget games that are bigger than Final Fantasy, Persona, Kingdom Hearts, Dragon Quest, Metal Gear, and Resident Evil. Mario Party not being as "iconic" as those franchises doesn't change the fact that it outsells all of them.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know the relevance of a game being iconic in a sales thread. The OG game never came close to touching the sales of BOTW or MHW even with 10 years of 5 dollar PSN sales. Calling it iconic doesn't change that. i don't know why a handful of franchises blowing up is suddenly the expectation for every game.

Nintendo routinely puts out medium size budget games that are bigger than Final Fantasy, Persona, Kingdom Hearts, Dragon Quest, Metal Gear, and Resident Evil. Mario Party not being as "iconic" as those franchises doesn't change the fact that it outsells all of them.

The original game sold more than the "BOTW of its time" which was Ocarina of Time and wasn't it like the 2nd or 3rd best selling PSOne game?

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019
The ps1 also had over 3x the sales of the n64....
I think part of the disconnect here is that the N64's software portfolio just wasn't as engaging as the Switch's

Ocarina of Time couldn't move hardware the way Breath of the Wild has, or the way Final Fantasy VII did, back in the day

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018

This is where we get back to wildly unrealistic expectations that have no basis in reality. FF7 PS1 sold about 10m units. Respectable, but being the "de facto" Playstation release is lunacy.

Gran Turismo outsold FF7 on the PS1. Granted, not by a lot, but GT was the most popular game on that platform.

Since then GT3 and GT4 outsold it by significant margins on PS2. GT5 outsold it on Ps3. All while each successive FF entry sold less than FF7 did year after year.

If anything is the "de facto" Playstation series, Gran Turismo is, but no one expects Gran Turismo Sport on PS4 or GT7 on ps5 to clock up double the sales of GT4 because that would be crazy. GT has its audience, and no amount of hype is going to drastically expand that overnight.

Sony dumped a ton of money into expanding first party output in the PS4 Era, which led to Horizon, TLOU (with the sales of Remastered), God of War, Spider Man, and Uncharted 4 also speeding past the 10m that FF7 did. It's still early, but Tlou2 and GOT will also likely break that mark.

But none of these games are anything like FF7. They aren't even JRPGs. Sony hasn't bothered to make a significant JRPG for Playstation since Legend of Dragoon on PS1, or the Dark Cloud series on PS2 if you're feeling generous.

The audience buying Sony for their first party output aren't looking for JRPGs and that genre has had little movement since the PS1 Era. If anything every other genre has adopted character progression and compelling narratives which were the reason those games stood out.

There is no coherent reason to believe FF7R will outperform the original by much. It's a good game, but it is by no means the kind of game Sony has built its audience and reputation on since the late 90s.

Last edited:

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is where we get back to wildly unrealistic expectations that have no basis in reality. FF7 PS1 sold about 10m units. Respectable, but being the "de facto" Playstation release is lunacy.

Gran Turismo outsold FF7 on the PS1. Granted, not by a lot, but GT was the most popular game on that platform.

Since then GT3 and GT4 outsold it by significant margins on PS2. GT5 outsold it on Ps3. All while each successive FF entry sold less than FF7 did year after year.

If anything is the "de facto" Playstation series, Gran Turismo is, but no one expects Gran Turismo Sport on PS4 to clock up double the sales of GT4 because that would be crazy. GT has its audience, and no amount of hype is going to drastically expand that overnight.

Sony dumped a ton of money into expanding first party output in the PS4 Era, which led to Horizon, TLOU (with the sales of Remastered), God of War, Spider Man, and Uncharted 4 also speeding past the 10m that FF7 did. It's still early, but Tlou2 and GOT will also likely break that mark.

But none of these games are anything like FF7. They aren't even JRPGs. Sony hasn't bothered to make a significant JRPG for Playstation since Legend of Dragoon on PS1, or the Dark Cloud series on PS2 if you're feeling generous.

The audience buying Sony for their first party output aren't looking for JRPGs and that genre has had little movement since the PS1 Era.

There is no coherent reason to believe FF7R will outperform the original by much. It's a good game, but it is by no means the kind of game Sony has built its audience and reputation on since the late 90s.

People maybe forget now, but Final Fantasy VII was basically the best selling game on any Playstation system for PS1, PS2, and PS3 eras not named GTA or Gran Turismo (which tend to be bundled with hardware at some point thus getting a bit of a boost).

Juryvicious

Oct 28, 2017
That's it huh.

As someone who disliked the remake, and their decision behind remaking the game into 3 parts, combat changes, filler content, massive pacing problems, yeah, this is where I'm at. The franchise is no longer in the stratosphere it once was, especially in Japan, and it's sales reflect that. Nevermind tying the game to a single platform, and NOT the market leader in its own territory, I guess I shouldn't be surprised after all.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
That's it huh.

As someone who disliked the remake, and their decision behind remaking the game into 3 parts, combat changes, filler content, massive pacing problems, yeah, this is where I'm at. The franchise is no longer in the stratosphere it once was, especially in Japan, and it's sales reflect that. Nevermind tying the game to a single platform, and NOT the market leader in its own territory, I guess I shouldn't be surprised after all.

Square Enix:

tenor.gif

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
People maybe forget now, but Final Fantasy VII was basically the best selling game on any Playstation system for PS1, PS2, and PS3 eras not named GTA or Gran Turismo (which tend to be bundled with hardware at some point thus getting a bit of a boost).

I didn't "forget" that I mentioned it explicitly.

But you can't ignore that FF8, FF9, FFX, FFXII, FFXIII and FFXV didn't manage to hit that mark despite many of them being better games largely because they didn't get the massive promotional push worth tens or hundreds of millions that FF7 did.

We also can't forget that the Playstation brand has expanded its appeal in the Ps4 Era by making popular first party titles- many of which outsold FF7 PS1 but play nothing like it. The gamers those titles brought in aren't going to be looking for a game like FF7 and likely weren't around when the game released.

Sep 14, 2018
That's it huh.

SE are making more money than ever hon, they've literally never been more succesful including the time when they were in that "stratosphere". I don't like 7 either and I find 15 stomach turning but they are undeniably huge success stories for them.

I wish someone would attack and dethrone SE.

Oct 8, 2019

I mean 3 and a half years ago I was questioning what Square enix was doing because the game had just disappeared after explaining that the game is only going to be a part in an entire series.

Final Fantasy VII Remake overall is going to be a tough sell because people want well a remake of Final Fantasy VII, the same game they played in 1997, and FF VII Remake isnt really that game, which looking back im kind of glad it isnt because I really like what they did with expanding characters, and Midgar, but I understand that I am an outlier in that.

I love Final Fantasy but the best selling game is from 1997, and if you look at modern gaming, the best things about Final Fantasy doesnt really fit with what people want in modern gaming.

JJConrad

Nov 3, 2017
BotW isn't really a fair comparison.... But Link's Awakening is! Despite a massive difference in budget and legacy, there's only a 800k difference in sales in the same time frame. Those two games should not be as close as they are.

Ravage

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

FF7 basically did as well, or even better, than what is expected for a traditional RPG franchise.

I'm really not sure why this board has a perpetual need to bring up Nintendo in every single sales thread when there is little basis of comparison. The appeal of Switch hw and sw among the untapped demographics (female and elderly esp) gave Nintendo games an immense boost this gen (similar to the Wii), which makes referencing the PS1 gen quite senseless really. Not to mention the outsized impact COVID likely had on those demographics.

Can't we just be glad that core franchises like FF are doing well? I for one am glad I live in world where expensive projects like FF7R are financially viable instead of a nightmare timeline where there are just battle royales, MOBAs and Animal Crossings to choose from.

Niks

Oct 25, 2017
That's it huh.

So petty, are you 12?

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed the hell out of it, even if the ending concerns me about the future of the remake series. Looking forward to part 2.