• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Predict the score.

Votes: 37 2.0%
  • 95-99

Votes: 141 7.5%
  • 90-94

Votes: 727 38.4%
  • 85-89

Votes: 767 40.6%
  • 80-84

Votes: 175 9.3%
  • 75-79

Votes: 27 1.4%
  • <74

Votes: 17 0.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
What side-quests in The Witcher 3 are people doing? All the ones I've done in that game were: Pick up quest, go here, kill monster, exchange dialogue with quest-giver revealing why monster was there, move on. Sometimes the dialogue blurb is interesting but none of the quest design was particularly revolutionary.
That's the thing. Either make the quests interesting or make the context interesting.

I can remember some sidequest NPCs more than main quest NPCs because of the way their side quests were framed. But again, Witcher 3 was the exception not the rule. Monster Hunter is just "go here, kill monster, make a hat out of said monster" but the context/gameplay/etc changes it. There's nothing riveting or game changing about going out and fighting a doggo and then chasing him to fight him again because a rando asked you to.

Also the Witcher senses and build up to the monster confrontations were typically interesting and grounded in the world they were in, helping sell the fact that Witchers were relevant in the world full of poor peasants and stuff versus people with guns in a fortified position not being able to beat a dog.

Again though this is one example.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
What side-quests in The Witcher 3 are people doing? All the ones I've done in that game were: Pick up quest, go here, kill monster, exchange dialogue with quest-giver revealing why monster was there, move on. Sometimes the dialogue blurb is interesting but none of the quest design was particularly revolutionary.

Depends on where you are, but some sidequests are bigger than most main ones. For example

all the Radovid business is a sidequest.

And I think the Genie in a bottle quest (super important lore wise) is a side one too.

A game with great side content is Skyrim for example. I don't even remember the main quest and I remember all the side content lol

Radamammuth

Dec 8, 2017

Yeah I feel the same about the Witcher 3, they are better at first as they feel more like side stories. But they are not this holy grail people make them out to be.

gameovergreggy

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA

::adjusts fake mustache::

And Kinda Funny loved it, too! It'd be cool if we put their videos in these posts from now on, too.

::points at the back of the room::

See?! That guy agrees with me!

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I mean you are the same person that refuses to play first person RPGs and isometric RPGs and titles like KCD, FNV, Vampire The Masquerade, BG1-2, DOS2, PoE2, Disco have excellent side quests.

I CAN'T play first person games without massive physical discomfort, and I don't find isometric point and click games fun to play.

That doesn't change the point I'm making, which is that filler sidequests are not unique to or even MORE PROMINENT in JRPGs - it's a problem across the RPG genre as a whole.

Yuber

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 2, 2020
you should probably read some of the other reviews
Why? Is the game not padded with filler and ff15 tier side quests?
I said the game looks fun to play and the demo was fun. but In the end they've stretched something out massively because they wanted to milk a brand and not give a complete game.

Oct 25, 2017
Agreed.

And you fight the same boring enemies, too.

I'll take talking to fucking Chadley about whatever to fight a cool unique boss than talking to default NPC #2 to fight Werewolf #15 just because NPC #2 has a sad story to tell before and after the quest.

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Feeling pretty good about FF7R as a game now. There's some plot stuff I Don't Agree with, but Jason Schreier's review seemed compelling. I don't "stan" individual reviewers, but our tastes seem to align (and man, he was 200% right about Octopath being aggressively mediocre)

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Agreed.

And you fight the same boring enemies, too.

I'll take talking to fucking Chadley about whatever to fight a cool unique boss than talking to default NPC #2 to fight Werewolf #15 just because NPC #2 has a sad story to tell before and after the quest.

I guess we all play video games for different reasons. I played TW3 on Easy because I was sick of the combat four hours into the game and just wanted to blaze through fights to see more story.

Knightsoftheround

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 7, 2020
Why? Is the game not padded with filler and ff15 tier side quests?
I said the game looks fun to play and the demo was fun. but In the end they've stretched something out massively because they wanted to milk a brand and not give a complete game.

A lot of the filler is really really good though. Some of the best chapters in this game are regarded as 'filler' or 'padding' imo.

There really isn't that many fetch quests

Deleted member 10726

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ResetERA
I think I'll just stick with FF14 for the time being and wait for the game to be fully remade. Nothing about this seems more interesting than FF15 to me and I don't have a strong connection to 7 to really get invested in Midgar being extended with these new elements.

Glad to see however that overall critics liked it.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Looks like DOOM or AC will take goty. Any other big releases this year?

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
I just saw the Easy Allies.

Its exactly what I expected after playing the demo, from the technical side (texture and asset poping in certain areas). Other than that, a fantastic looking game.

I will wait for the next gen version (or patch) though. I have been waiting decades for this, I can wait a bit more for the improved IQ.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Just as expected and people were criticizing me because I said that side quests are going to be the usual JRPG filler junk.

How is this just as expected? Do people narrow The Witcher 3 down to Monster Nests? It is incredibly disingenuous and I've largely stayed out of this thread because of it. And yes, before people jump down my throat about the wonderful Bloody Baron quest, it doesn't change my point. Games are more than just solely their negatives or positives.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Listening to the Kinda Funny review video chat. They are super positive on it. Even Greg was singing praises, and he doesn't really get into Final Fantasy in general

Edit: ah I see it was posted earlier on this page

Virtua Saturn

Oct 27, 2017
Scores aside, this is absolutely a not buy for me right now. Enough reviews have said "some Kingdom Hearts bullshit" which tells me I will get mad and that we will see a collection release every year for the next 5 years. I'll just play it when it's done and on sale.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Looks like DOOM or AC will take goty. Any other big releases this year?

i-see-what-you-did-there-rage-face-meme.png

Cloud-Strife

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 27, 2019
It's a pretty damn good remake.. even with the fact that it's going to be a 3 part game score's close to 90 are great.

Kawngi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
I don't recall all the story beats from the original, as it's been a million years since I played it as a kid. However, I'm a bit terrified of 'KH bullshit' as that definitely turned me off of the KH series when I was playing through those.

MoogleMaestro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm confused. The original FF7 has an amazing story. Is there something different about this game that makes its writing "KH-tier" so to speak?

For context, never played Kingdom Hearts, but the original FF7 is a storytelling / worldbuilding classic and it's crazy to me that the story could be regarded that way.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I'm confused. The original FF7 has an amazing story. Is there something different about this game that makes its writing "KH-tier" so to speak?

For context, never played Kingdom Hearts, but the original FF7 is a storytelling / worldbuilding classic and it's crazy to me that the story could be regarded that way.

Without going into spoiler details, yes. There are some pretty major storyline changes.

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017

Yes, there is something different that makes it very KHesque