• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Predict the score.

Votes: 37 2.0%
  • 95-99

Votes: 141 7.5%
  • 90-94

Votes: 727 38.4%
  • 85-89

Votes: 767 40.6%
  • 80-84

Votes: 175 9.3%
  • 75-79

Votes: 27 1.4%
  • <74

Votes: 17 0.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
True. It's impossible to judge the lasting impact a game will have on just the first day of release. We've had massive, big-budget games come out to huge initial success that left no lasting cultural impression, and some that were very popular at release whose legacy has dimmed in hindsight. This very board will forever argue the merits of Dragon Age Inquisition - which won ERA's GOTY vote - but that many have turned on in a post-Witcher 3 world.

FF7R is a unique case because it's not going to be played in a vacuum. It's going to be compared to the original beloved game, other Final Fantasy titles, other JRPGs, etc. There will definitely be a very big honeymoon period, but a lot of the lasting reception of this game will be known long after release.
Absolutely. It's probably the most interesting thing about video game releases. How a game is seen at it's launch, despite being important, doesn't completely encapsulate how the game will go down in history.

ANDS

Banned
Jun 25, 2019
Reviews are unsurprising (though I do feel for people who legit believe FF7 is the best in the series), however some of the comments are a bit. . .weird. Metro has in their review that the game is "barely an RPG. . ." and basis this solely on the lack of ATB in the game? I mean ATB is just a visualization quirk and I can't imagine folks saying something like say, Star Ocean, weren't RPG's back in the day.

The complaints about marketing (still no Part 1 anywhere) and game length seem totally fair. Really should have been a two part affair if they were going to go this way, instead of relying on this for the next five years or so for FF content.

. . .also I can't believe anyone thought this was going to land in solidly "masterpiece" (90-95) range.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Not everyone's reading every review man. Pretty sure no one else has called the ending dumb. Which means you've probably been in the spoiler thread. Which means you know the ending without having finished it yourself. So keep that shit to yourself.

I think you need to step back, every time I see you and interact with you it's the same deal. You're constantly angry and negative. It's like arrested development with you man, you're always saying the same thing

Again. Look at Schreier's linked tweets. I'm not angry or upset, I'm just saying that there are plenty of reasons to give the game less than a 9 out of 10. Relax.

PshycoNinja

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
If I have one grip about the game so far, the daytime lighting in the game looks really flat, and some of the texture work in the game is really bad.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
Nojima has been a hack for years now. I knew he (and Nomura and Toriyama) would screw it.
Aside from that the game is exceptional. I can't stress enough how good the cutscenes and music is. Mind blowingly good. I was sceptical when I heard Uematsu wouldn't be working on it directly too much. I was wrong music alone got me plenty of times.

Put some respeck on Hamauzu's name after this one.

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
I never understand people that think like this. Death Stranding is sitting in the low 80s and was many peoples GOTY. RDR2 is in the high 90s and quite a lot of people hated it. An arbitrary number should not be the defining factor on whether you think you'll enjoy a game or not.

Co-signature.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Won't look too much into the reviews since I'd rather go in semi-blind but hearing about repetitive sidequests isn't surprising. I think a lot of people expected an entire game based in Midgar to have at least some amount of padding.

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
Not everyone's reading every review man. Pretty sure no one else has called the ending dumb. Which means you've probably been in the spoiler thread. Which means you know the ending without having finished it yourself. So keep that shit to yourself.

I think you need to step back, every time I see you and interact with you it's the same deal. You're constantly angry and negative. It's like arrested development with you man, you're always saying the same thing
the first bolded should be the bare minimum, or close to it. PlanetSmasher points out whats in the reviews, and your comeback boils down to "eh, nobody reads them"? lol either read them and prove smasher wrong or don't bring that up.
the second is just you attacking him, not his argument. be better.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is NOT divisive. Look at Death Stranding for an actual example of a divisive game.
Absolutely. It's probably the most interesting thing about video game releases. How a game is seen at it's launch, despite being important, doesn't completely encapsulate how the game will go down in history.

the biggest examples ive seen are bioshock infinite and fallout 4. Both games that i love, and that reviewed well at launch, but it would seem the gaming public has turned against them in recent years

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
As a big KH fan, this excites me even more. Go off Nomura.

I never understand people that think like this. Death Stranding is sitting in the low 80s and was many peoples GOTY. RDR2 is in the high 90s and quite a lot of people hated it. An arbitrary number should not be the defining factor on whether you think you'll enjoy a game or not.
Not to mention Death Stranding received the most GOTY awards last year period.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
I still don't feel it. I am uninterested in this playable prologue even after watching some positive reviews, but that's okay. I am much more interested in how they will go on from Midgar. Making Midgar into some corridor- and hub-levels is one thing. But bringing the whole world beyond that to digital life will be a huge task and I don't fully trust SE in pulling it off.

Talking about corridor- and hub-levels. It seems like SE still is struggling to make interesting worlds and level design. While this seems better than FF13 and maybe FF15 it still doesn't look great. I always said it and I stick to it: FF12 had the perfect game world, it was a joy to explore and it never felt linear but it never went out of place with clutter and empty feeling open areas. They should have stuck to that.

But maybe it isn't all that bad when I play it. But it's criticized in quite a few reviews and it's a shame that this is the third mainline Final Fantasy in a row that has problems with level- and world-design.

Cordelia

Jan 25, 2019
Shadowbringers keep winning baby.

IGN: The way FF7R wantonly spouts nonsense that it just expects you to roll with toward the end of its story can only be properly described as "Some Kingdom Hearts BS" – and I say that as a fan of Kingdom Hearts. On top of that, its insane climax left me with a bad taste in my mouth no matter where the story decides to go from here.

Kotaku: Days after finishing the game, I'm still trying to grapple with the consequences of Final Fantasy VII Remake's ending, which will be heatedly debated in the weeks and months to come. It's still not clear just what the developers at Square Enix plan to do next, but the ending makes it very clear that the project's director, Tetsuya Nomura, has spent the past two decades as the chief creative behind Kingdom Hearts, the messiest and most complicated story in JRPG history.

Dualshockers:And here is where it all started to come apart for me. For a brief while, I was ripped out of Final Fantasy 7 and dumped heavily into an unholy marriage of Advent Children and Kingdom Hearts. It was awkward, it was confusing, and it left me shaking my head in dismay. It felt massively out of place. Did this part have to change so dramatically? Maybe. It wasn't a true climax or game-ending point in the original, after all, and I expected some new conclusion and an added boss or two to cap off this experience. Yet, until now, it had been such a solid remake that made measured changes to supplement the classic story. Here, at the eleventh hour, it jarringly erupted into a massive spectacle that honestly felt like underdeveloped fanfiction.

Yep, thought so.

Wise

Oct 27, 2017
the good year*

*for games. everything else is shit

EU6yW8KX0AADITn
What the hell. P5 Royal has a 95 metascore?! o. O

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
It looks like Square did a great job with the remake even if the og FFVII fans are gonna complain about the plot changes

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
that's impact luv

talent won

square enix redeemed

and now we know that all nomura needs to make a good game is to have everything already done for him 👏

Moist_Owlet

Banned
Dec 26, 2017
It'll probably even out either at 88 or 85. Impressed regardless.

IGN giving it an 8 is hilarious however. They've been so odd this generation. I know it's a different reviewer but 9.3 for Pokemon Sword still bugs me considering how dumbed down it is for an RPG (and even a Pokemon game) and how much of an outlier it is compared to Metacritic.
The author of the pokemon review was biased as fuck and there was no chance she was going to give the game less than a 9, no matter how garbage it was (and it was fucking garbage). An honest 8 in this case is much better than the shit 9.3 they gave pokemon, which deserved a 7 at best.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019

Yep, thought so.
Kingdom Hearts and Nomura claim another game. It's to be expected.

At this point I've come to terms with it and am only here for the shiny graphics and fight system.

With all this talk on divisiveness I'll just say this:

If I see any one of you using the game's inevitably massive sales figures to shut down people who don't like the game then I'm gonna quietly shake my head at you.
It's always how it is. Sales Figures and reviews only matter when it supports said user's argument, when they don't, they're "irrelevant." Schrodingers Review Scores/Sales Numbers

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i love that this feels like a continuation of the design of 13 and it's sequels rather than 15. even the combat feels more analogous to 13 / lightning returns than 15.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
What the hell. P5 Royal has a 95 metascore?! o. O
I absolutely love that an extremely long, turn-based JRPG is strutting around with a 95 in a world where many people question if AAA turn-based games still have a place. It also makes me wonder what S-E could have done with FF7R (and how deep into the story they could have gone) had they chosen a similar route and art style.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yep, thought so.

*Nojima writing the last pages of the script*

Nojima:"Great... I hold the beast, I can write again a normal script again! Yes I can do it!"

The Nojima who wrote the FFX-3 Novel:"Helloooo there... OMG that's so boring let me show you how is done"

Nojima:"No, get out of my mind.... I'll write a normal plot again and not a weird fanfaction... AGGHHhH"

The Nojima who wrote the FFX-3 Novel:"Sorry, I have Nomura's permission to go wild... MUAHHAHAHA"

Nojima:"Noooooo......"

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
RDR2 buggy and unpolished? What?
Ugh, yeah? I didn't even realize this was controversial. In my experience alone, I've encountered several dozen weird glitches, bugs, and technical issues. I've fallen through the ground a few times, encountered invisible enemies, bugged and glitched questlines, and some of the weirdest physics.
SeparateHonorableBlackbear-size_restricted.gif

I mean, the infamous "horses randomly get set on fire" glitch was hysterical.
bb61001604c8a191b74a66642fadc779.jpg

It's still a massive game that - for its SIZE - had a lot of care and effort put into it, which is why it has the scores that it does. But just like Skyrim and Fallout, it's got plenty of bugs and immersion-breaking glitches.

Again, not a knock against RDR2. I'm getting off-topic here since we're talking about FF7R's lasting reception, but that there are many factors at play and a game's reception is more than the sum of its parts. The most polished game ever with a terrible or offensive story can have a negative legacy, while a very buggy and unpolished game that succeeds in other areas of gameplay and narrative can become a cult favorite. I mean, Deadly Premonition has had a bigger lasting cultural impression than many more polished and well-constructed games.

I am very curious to see how FF7R will be viewed - not right now, but months from now. I said the exact same thing about Death Stranding at its release.

I never doubted the game would score well or sell well, though, nor that many, MANY fans will like what FF7R does. After all, Kingdom Hearts sells great as well, despite its utter nonsense of a story. I'm mostly going to be curious to see how old fans feel about the changes, and whether new fans will be confused or wonder if the alterations were in the original game to begin with, and how all of that will fallout over the next coming weeks and months.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
87 is a great score but I wonder if the mainline single player FF games will ever reclaim the glory days of stringing together a series of 90+ games.

FF6 to 12 was an amazing streak.

Cordelia

Jan 25, 2019
I like Shadowbringers, and even Shadowbringers has its problems.
It is. Just saying that Shadowbringers has higher score, that's all.

Kingdom Hearts and Nomura claim another game. It's to be expected.

At this point I've come to terms with it and am only here for the shiny graphics and fight system.
I'm a Kingdom Hearts fan and I'm genuinely disappointed with KH3 and Remind. And that's why I come to 7R with precaution.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
the biggest examples ive seen are bioshock infinite and fallout 4. Both games that i love, and that reviewed well at launch, but it would seem the gaming public has turned against them in recent years
I'm not a FO4 fan but Infinite is a very good example. Amazing scores but fan response was tepid at best in parts.