• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Predict the score.

Votes: 37 2.0%
  • 95-99

Votes: 141 7.5%
  • 90-94

Votes: 727 38.4%
  • 85-89

Votes: 767 40.6%
  • 80-84

Votes: 175 9.3%
  • 75-79

Votes: 27 1.4%
  • <74

Votes: 17 0.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sep 14, 2018
This game could be shovelware and it'd still be better than XV. Minesweeper is more challenging, engaging and moving than XV.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
So it's at about an 87; right around where I predicted. Sounds good to me. Can't wait to play the game on the 10th.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
Well, it's Metacritic itself that makes me think it's clickbait.

After all, the idea of having a score that's made from every single score people gave is to show the real score the game should have, right?

87 looks 'a little bit far' from the 60s, that's all.

Funny thing is, no one that got pissed at my opinion is looking to cancel preorders and such... maybe you all think they are a joke as well. :)

Swear I'll let it go after this thread.
No, it just means that we understand that it's one person's opinion and not the objective actual real score.

Also worth mention that a 3/5 is not the same as a 6/10. The latter scale has more points to use, so something that might bump the game up to a 7 in that scale likely won't bump it up to 4 stars in the other, because there's probably a bigger gap to make up. All said though, review scores don't and shouldn't mean diddlysquat.

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
There's no way I could beat the boss in the ff7 demo by spamming 1 move
Yes you spam 2 moves, so? I played the demo too. In the end you choose how you want to play xv, if you don't want to use your party that's your choice. lots of bosses in the souls games for example can be beaten by one attack, doesn't mean anything.

Antony

Oct 25, 2017
PlayStation Home
User Banned (1 day): Console warring
The Last Guardian
Shenmue III
Final Fantasy VII Remake

The 'E3 of Dreams' turned out a little unspectacularly in the end...

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018
Renfran we ready for FF7R now :D
1586170964-4717gnhhgh5.jpg

LOVE

The Masked Mufti

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Wow. I expected this to hit the low to mid 90s. Gonna read the reviews. Don't feel as obliged now to buy it for a while (decided to clear my massive backlog before buying anything new )

Oct 25, 2017
The Last Guardian
Shenmue III
Final Fantasy VII Remake

Didn't play Shenmue, and don't really care about it, but The Last Guardian is a top 5 game of all time to me, and FFVII seems to be amazing, can't wait to play it after a price drop.

Thank E3 of Dreams. :)

Monsterqken

Dec 26, 2019
Those GameSpot and IGN reviews...what a time. Following those sites for years, I expected those scores to be reversed lmao. Any who, all I was waiting was confirmation that this game wasn't horribly broken or a technical mess in some way. Now I need to decided wether I want the Deluxe Edition or Regular.
As a deluxe buyer: it's not really worth it but if the money makes no difference it's absolutely "worth it"
It's also kind of nice to unpackage a game that you have been waiting for and there being a collection of things.

Cactuar is ridiculous and my SO laughed at me spending an extra 40$ on him, an obsolete cd and small book. Steelcase is as nice as any steelcase.
The book served as a distraction during the install time, it's a pretty good teaser for enemies to come.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
You can brute force your way through a lot of encounters in the game, but it will take like three times as long.

The game wants you to figure out each enemy and be prepared for them. Like, yeah, you can fight drakes by just jumping in their face and hitting attack three times and eventually they'll probably die in five to ten minutes. Or you use one spell to settle them down into one place, activate an ability with Barret to put some pressure on, hit them with Aero so they don't run away from the second half of the spell, and then go nuts on them when they're staggered and close to the ground.

Every enemy is a different combat puzzle they want you to solve with the least time and ideally not spending out all your MP. Spammable is the last thing I'd call it.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Last Guardian
Shenmue III
Final Fantasy VII Remake

2 of my favourite games this gen and Shenmue, which was exactly what I thought it would be and made me happy.

Pretty spectacular for me.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yes you spam 2 moves, so? I played the demo too. In the end you choose how you want to play xv, if you don't want to use your party that's your choice. lots of bosses in the souls games for example can be beaten by one attack, doesn't mean anything.
Souls games aren't even comparable, I didn't even have to use magic in ff15, in ff7 I had to use magic on even the first boss

you didn't have choice if you wanted to use magic or not, you had to use magic

Altairre

Oct 25, 2017
Well, it's Metacritic itself that makes me think it's clickbait.

After all, the idea of having a score that's made from every single score people gave is to show the real score the game should have, right?

87 looks 'a little bit far' from the 60s, that's all.

Funny thing is, no one that got pissed at my opinion is looking to cancel preorders and such... maybe you all think they are a joke as well. :)

Swear I'll let it go after this thread.
No, that is not how opinions and people work. You cannot simply average scores to arrive at some nebulous "objective truth". This is why metacritic is so harmful to actual meaningful discussion. If a game is extremely divisive and gets a bunch of extremely high and extremely low scores then metacritic will tell you that the reception was mediocre which would reflect none of the reviews because in this hypothetical example some people really liked it and some people really disliked it but nobody thought it was mediocre.

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Did reviewers mention the textures / objects messing up? Or have they been playing a patched version?

Kinda interested after trying the demo but those textures I've seen are far too much of an issue until they patch it.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Wow. I expected this to hit the low to mid 90s. Gonna read the reviews. Don't feel as obliged now to buy it for a while (decided to clear my massive backlog before buying anything new )

I wouldn't necessarily put much stock in the difference between late 80s and 90s. I absolutely expect to prefer this to RDR2 and GoW for instance because of my love of the source material, presentation and spectacle.

Oct 25, 2017
You can brute force your way through a lot of encounters in the game, but it will take like three times as long.

The game wants you to figure out each enemy and be prepared for them. Like, yeah, you can fight drakes by just jumping in their face and hitting attack three times and eventually they'll probably die in five to ten minutes. Or you use one spell to settle them down into one place, activate an ability with Barret to put some pressure on, hit them with Aero so they don't run away from the second half of the spell, and then go nuts on them when they're staggered and close to the ground.

Every enemy is a different combat puzzle they want you to solve with the least time and ideally not spending out all your MP. Spammable is the last thing I'd call it.
While this sounds amazing to me, as someone who loved the combat in the demo, I still think they're leaving worse players with a boring version of the game. Taking too long shouldn't be enough, either the game should kill you for playing that way (and seems like it does on Hard, which is fantastic!), or there should be some sort of ranking for battles, to inform players that they're doing poorly, even if they're scraping by.

A happy middle ground could be achievable by having more limited items, too. If players are quickly running out of potions and MP for Cure, they'll eventually have to stop spending so much of it. But it seems like even tying it to ATB isn't enough to stop people from potion spamming through most of the game, XV style.

Does a thread about FF7 having good reviews have to turn to a chance to shit on XV? C'mon ya'll
It's really sad how people can't get over it.

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
Souls games aren't even comparable, I didn't even have to use magic in ff15, in ff7 I had to use magic on even the first boss
So the problem is that they didn't force you to use spells? but let's leave bosses aside (even though that they are much cooler in xv) low level enemies doesn't look that much fun either, plus you don't even have a jump button to fight flying enemies.

marcbret87

Apr 20, 2018
Glad the game is reviewing well, had some doubts with what I read on first impressions and spoiler threads. Kinda worried about the story

Reading that the endgame deviates heavily from the source material. Not sure how this is presented, but really wasn't expecting this.

Godsfather

Jul 14, 2019
At first I thought I wanted to see some really low scores just for the metldowns, but the meltdowns are funnier when the score is actually good but somehow not fair.

Altairre

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I've heard that sometimes that contract incentives depend on MC scores. If this true? I certainly hope not if this is philosophy but which people review.
Bonus payments for developers are sometimes tied to a MC average, which is an extremely shitty practice. The infamous example is New Vegas where the target for the bonus was a MC of 85 but the game only managed a 84. I don't know how common this is these days but one would hope it is the exception to the rule.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
While this sounds amazing to me, as someone who loved the combat in the demo, I still think they're leaving worse players with a boring version of the game. Taking too long shouldn't be enough, either the game should kill you for playing that way (and seems like it does on Hard, which is fantastic!), or there should be some sort of ranking for battles, to inform players that they're doing poorly, even if they're scraping by.

A happy middle ground could be achievable by having more limited items, too. If players are quickly running out of potions and MP for Cure, they'll eventually have to stop spending so much of it. But it seems like even tying it to ATB isn't enough to stop people from potion spamming through most of the game, XV style.

It's really sad how people can't get over it.
Yeah, I would have liked a ranking system. For what it's worth, if someone finishes the battle with low HP, the characters comments about how they should be doing better.

One of my complaints about the game is how extensively everything feels playtested. Anyone is going to be able to get through it and that probably means a worse overall experience and that kind of sucks for them. I wish I learned early on how important it was to switch characters constantly, but you really end up coming to those realizations on your own later on.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So the problem is that they didn't force you to use spells? but let's leave bosses aside (even though that they are much cooler in xv) low level enemies doesn't look that much fun either, plus you don't even have a jump button to fight flying enemies.
Bosses are cooler in ff15? You mean like leviathan that can't even kill you?

flying enemies you hit them with ranged attacks

discussion guidelines

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Official Staff Communication
Let's stop the accusations that review scores dropping lower than average are done so out of 'clickbait', instead of engaging with the reasoning why given by the pieces of criticism. Continuing to do so will be subject to moderation.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
You can always skip sidequests. But SE really need to work on their sidequest game, because they are usually lackluster. Make fewer but with a little bit more interesting events.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I would have liked a ranking system. For what it's worth, if someone finishes the battle with low HP, the characters comments about how they should be doing better.

One of my complaints about the game is how extensively everything feels playtested. Anyone is going to be able to get through it and that probably means a worse overall experience and that kind of sucks for them. I wish I learned early on how important it was to switch characters constantly, but you really end up coming to those realizations on your own later on.
Oh wow, this is REALLY cool. Actually said this out loud, was not expecting something this interesting to be implemented, hahahaha.

Character switching is soooooo satisfying in the demo, I'm glad to know it's important throughout the whole game. Ahhh, can't wait to play this.

Thank you again for the impressions and the time to answer our questions.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Wow this is the most scathing review for the game I've seen.

Sounds like there's next to nothing about the game he liked.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The Last Guardian
Shenmue III
Final Fantasy VII Remake

Uh...what? There's really only one dud in there and that is Shenmue. TLG and now also FFVIIR turned out to be both critially acclaimed games.