• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Predict the score.

Votes: 37 2.0%
  • 95-99

Votes: 141 7.5%
  • 90-94

Votes: 727 38.4%
  • 85-89

Votes: 767 40.6%
  • 80-84

Votes: 175 9.3%
  • 75-79

Votes: 27 1.4%
  • <74

Votes: 17 0.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
Don't think I am able to enjoy games that score below 90 on MC.

I never understand people that think like this. Death Stranding is sitting in the low 80s and was many peoples GOTY. RDR2 is in the high 90s and quite a lot of people hated it. An arbitrary number should not be the defining factor on whether you think you'll enjoy a game or not.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Don't they take ages to review a game in the small chance they even decide to review it?

I want to order the game before release to have something to play so a review that I could read before that time would be preferable tbh.
You're more likely to hear their impressions on the Bomb/Beastcast than reading a review, but given how big this game is and given everyone is working from home and having a lot of time, it might be possible someone's writing a review about it.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I never understand people that think like this. Death Stranding is sitting in the low 80s and was many peoples GOTY. RDR2 is in the high 90s and quite a lot of people hated it. An arbitrary number should not be the defining factor on whether you think you'll enjoy a game or not.

wasn't that person just joking? I don't think anyone is seriously drawing a line at a 90 score

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Look, not everyone has an ERA Gold account with clown-vision enabled so we can tell who's joking and who isn't.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
It looks great but it doesn't seem to be better than xv
*shrug* I don't like 15 very much but reading through reviews and seeing impressions people uniformly seem to like the character work done in this.
No idea what you value in a final fantasy but personally that's something that has me a lot more hopeful currently than I've been in forever.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It reviewed better than base FFXV and that's all I needed. Base FFXV was simply not good at all.

This is the better game, even if you don't like the story changes

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
I don't know anything about this game but I'm glad it seemingly turned out well for the fans

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Days gone is 71 and one of my favorite games this gen.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
It's kind of crazy to me that this game finally is coming out. It's also crazy to me that a P5 re-release scored almost ten points higher as an average than FFVII Remake. Not for any reason in particular, just kind of crazy. I fully expected this remake to either score 90+ or below 85, so this is sitting pretty in the middle for my random assumptions.

Can't wait till Friday and I hate everyone who got it early.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
Maybe the full game is different, but I'm not sure about that.
Not different, but definitely better. As usual, new enemies/characters/skills add complexity to the encounters, forcing you to be more deliberate in your strategy and use every member of the team for a particular purpose. It doesn't always click (some enemies are too simple for that), but when it does, especially with bosses, it gets really satisfying.
Maybe I'll check out P5R in the mean time.
See you in 2025, then. ;)

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
This is an issue for me. I get that this isn't a universally held opinion, but Midgar was iconic, but not close to my favourite part of FFVII. The best part of Midgar for me was leaving Midgar and being able to go out into the world. That's missing from this game and won't be there until Part 2.

No doubt, but if Square Enix is able to flesh out the main characters, flesh out Shinra and those antagonist, make us feel more conflicted about the actions taken in Midgar, etc. it will leave you with a bigger impact once the story is complete. I totally understand wishing it wouldn't be split up, but there is opportunity to have a better overall product because of it. Especially if Square Enix is able to improve upon some of the weaker aspects in the first part.

It's not guaranteed to work out, but I can see how it has the best chance to reach its potential. If Square Enix tried to cram everything into one game the best it could be would be inherently lower, in my opinion.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Why did you assume I didn't read the review, and didn't see and/or played the game?

I'm an outsider to this whole thing but perhaps its because you keep saying that the issue is "having too much stuff in a Final Fantasy game."?

You're more likely to hear their impressions on the Bomb/Beastcast than reading a review, but given how big this game is and given everyone is working from home and having a lot of time, it might be possible someone's writing a review about it.
I'll have a look. Just find it a bit weird that there are seemingly no reviews out right from people who didn't play the original upon release (or close to release); that leaves out the millions of teens and young adults who were either born after the original's release or were too young to play it in the late 90s.

Like, you'd think that the focus of a remake like this would be on more than just fans of the original :(

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
If anyone is curious about hour count:

I finished the main game doing everything I could find to do at about 45 hours. Other people at KF finished in the mid-30s.

I currently have about 67 hours clocked when you add my hard mode playthrough to it.
Awww this sucks you can't play hard from the beginning I hate when games do this.

Grzi

Oct 26, 2017
User Banned (1 Day): Trolling
A 6/10 for a game like this literally screams "I want clicks so I wrote a review that will cause some controversy, come on, give it a read".

It was to be expected but still, you hate to see it.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Okay, read several reviews and I think I'll wait for it to hit $40 in a couple of weeks. Don't think I am able to enjoy games that score below 90 on MC. Maybe I'll check out P5R in the mean time.

Lol this reads like satire. Tastes in gaming are far too varied to rely on reviews like that.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
A 6/10 for a game like this literally screams "I want clicks so I wrote a review that will cause some controversy, come on, give it a read".

Can we please stop with this shitty low scores equals wanting clicks narrative?

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
Pretty much every person I've talked to has said it's better than XV, like significantly so.
Well I liked it more than the average person. lots of locations and cool bosses, and it followed the movie (kingsglaive) nicely. I'm saying this because the combat in particular doesn't seem that better to me.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
Okay, read several reviews and I think I'll wait for it to hit $40 in a couple of weeks. Don't think I am able to enjoy games that score below 90 on MC. Maybe I'll check out P5R in the mean time.

Nioh 2 has an 86 on MC and I have been really enjoying it. Lol

You're missing out on some awesome games if you only play 90+ scoring titles

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
That Schreier review sure has me intrigued.

I had wondered if this was going to pull a Rebuild of Evangelion in twist changes to plotting.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, because is impossible to not like as much as others a high profile game and must be clickbait.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018

Who cares? Seriously. Even if this shit was true (and people always talk about it in metacritic/rotten tomatoes discussions, that there are lone wolf review outlets that want to rank something low for clickbait), this game is going to be a massive success and is getting universal praise. Is anybody really that bothered by one 6/10 (effectively a 3/5)?

Monsterqken

Dec 26, 2019
What kind of moron reviewed and disliked a final fantasy game for 'having TOO MUCH content' ?

God, EGM is just unbelievable.
FF VIIR is the most bloated game I have ever played. Some extremely tedious missions which basically consists of walking a maze of narrow, samey, corridors to flip different switches, a lot of the game feels like stalling tactics and the gameplay, cutscenes and narrative does not compute at all during a really long and important sequence.

Imagine hearing that you daughter is about to die and you joke around about shopping and who's going to carry the bags? Then you keep chilling, giving long motivational speeches, take a couple of forced detours and you are still not that stressed about it?

The game has some chapters that reach 10/10 and becomes a true reinvention of the original. This is a game that I absolutely recommend but it's also filled with about 10 hours of trash. The highs compensate the lows enough to be worth an 8/10 but I can understand 6/10 as well.

If anything thing I could correct the egm statement to:
Too many hours WITHOUT real content.

HTonon

Mar 26, 2020
Brazil
User Banned (1 day): Trolling
I'm an outsider to this whole thing but perhaps its because you keep saying that the issue is "having too much stuff in a Final Fantasy game."?

The point I made is summed up better then how I came about it by Grzi right here:

The fact is, when MC has 59 positive reviews, and 5 bad ones (and 03 of those 05 are 70 or higher), a 60 score just feels like a scream for spotlight and a flat-out clickbait, specially with the way the review positioned itself.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
what's up with Telegraph's review? Gave it a 6/10 with this quote?
Despite being decorated for single-handedly breaking the Japanese role playing game genre in the West, Final Fantasy 7 was also maligned for many years as the videogame most returned to vendors by disgruntled customers.
da hell? EGM's I get it, read it, didn't seem like clickbait. But this one is baffling, what's with the shade to the og game?

dodo

Oct 27, 2017

perhaps they just didn't like it as much

what's up with Telegraph's review? Gave it a 6/10 with this quote?

da hell

entirely apocryphal i think, but this has been a story about ff7 for decades. it was a lot of folks' first encounter with JRPGs who checked the game out based on how crazy the ads (which mostly showed FMVs) looked, and they were upset when they found out what it actually looked and played like. so the story goes anyway, I don't know if there's ever been any hard reporting on it. it's one of gaming's Just So Stories

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Well I liked it more than the average person. lots of locations and cool bosses, and it followed the movie (kingsglaive) nicely. I'm saying this because the combat in particular doesn't seem that better to me.
Don't tell me you think ff7 combat doesn't seem better than FF15 when you can win every battle in FF15 by just spamming warp strike

the first boss fight in the ff7 demo had better combat than all of ff15, where I had to use almost everything I had