• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Predict the score.

Votes: 37 2.0%
  • 95-99

Votes: 141 7.5%
  • 90-94

Votes: 727 38.4%
  • 85-89

Votes: 767 40.6%
  • 80-84

Votes: 175 9.3%
  • 75-79

Votes: 27 1.4%
  • <74

Votes: 17 0.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
I've done one regular playthrough where I did everything, one hard mode playthrough where I skipped the quests, then upon realizing that the quests on hard mode are where you get some stat upgrade items I needed for completion, I went back and did those chapters again.
So they aren't really optional?

Anddo

Oct 28, 2017
The game being filler heavy should surprise no one who played the original.

Still very excited to revisit Midgar.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
I've done one regular playthrough where I did everything, one hard mode playthrough where I skipped the quests, then upon realizing that the quests on hard mode are where you get some stat upgrade items I needed for completion, I went back and did those chapters again.
Thanks! Pretty extensive review then lol

edit:

I mean, the pacing is still pretty different.
The original was a 40h game, this one is based on the first part of this game for about 30h.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Having only played the original FFVII for a few hours I can't say I'm feeling all too swayed by the comments regarding having to have experienced the original to fully understand what the remake is getting at.

I mean, I kinda get that this is Final Fantasy VII and that if any game can get away with it, it would be this game, but eh...

Crazy Steve

Oct 27, 2017
Great game is great. No surprises here. I hope this is the start of more great AAA role playing games from Japan.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
Nier had several good side quests, some of which tied to the main story. If the remake can do that as well, that'd be great, but I won't hold my breath
I'd say it had side missions with good story elements, the quest/design part was merely serviceable. In my opinion, and for what I've experienced, this Remake follows the same template, though plot lines are less unique. On the plus side, it gives you access to a far better combat system.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 7, 2019
Germany

Can you select hardmode in a chapter select without needing to replay?

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Most of the quests in Nier are awful.

As someone that's done all of them, we'll have to agree to disagree, at least as far as the writing goes. Which is all I ask really to enjoy a sidequest, as they pretty much always aren't anything to write home about in terms of gameplay.

Coming off of XV, I'll keep my expectations low for this.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017

It's not that heavy on the filler though. Filler is certainly there's but a lot of the additional time added to this part of the story comes from actual additions to the story and deeper exploration of characters, rather than side quests and backtracking.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'd say it had side missions with good story elements, the quest/design part was merely serviceable. In my opinion, and for what I've experienced, this Remake follows the same template, though plot lines are less unique. On the plus side, it gives you access to a far better combat system.

Yea I figured as much. Hope the rewards are worth it at least.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
Thanks! Pretty extensive review then lol
I was originally going to just leave it at one playthrough, but by the time I was done, I didn't want to stop playing. I still have a few chapters left on hard mode, some optional bosses I haven't beaten, some I haven't even found yet, and a few branching choices (dresses, etc.) to clean up.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I predicted 85 at the highest, so I wasn't far off. I'm very excited to jump into this game. I remember getting a PSOne and the original game after there was a fire in my house as a kid so that we had things to do while staying away from home for a couple months. I'm happy to see part one finally come out since the game has been so important to me.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
As someone that's done all of them, we'll have to agree to disagree, at least as far as the writing goes. Which is all I ask really to enjoy a sidequest, as they pretty much always aren't anything to write home about in terms of gameplay.

Coming off of XV, I'll keep my expectations low for this.

I've don 12 of them and the writing is nothing special at all, half of them were literal MMO fetch quests. The rewards are nice though.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
Man, I can't even begin to think this has better combat that N:A. Not that N:A is anything to write home about but I found the combat in the demo, so... boring and really didn't like it.
For total completion, 100%. They're texts that give you upgrade points for your weapons.
Oh ok, I misunderstood what you said. Thanks.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Thanks for linking my review here. The combat is fucking excellent and I went on waaay too long talking about it specifically because it has so many good things going for it. Independent of story implications and additions good and bad, Remake is just a joy to play.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
Can you select hardmode in a chapter select without needing to replay?
I am afraid I don't understand the question.

Hard mode is only unlocked after beating the game once and it 100% assumes you are bringing in a post-game party into it. You can select the difficulty when choosing a chapter and then you can just play through, or skip ahead or go back, to any chapter you like. You get the trophy for doing all the chapters, though.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Can't wait to play the game in 10 years when all parts are out. Looking good.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
Yea I figured as much. Hope the rewards are worth it at least.
They are. Only problem is you're expected to complete these quests before moving forward with the story, otherwise you lose the chance of doing them (temporarily or permanently, I'm not totally sure); so in a way, all impulse in the adventure is lost until you get what you want.

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Those are nice scores! Friday can't come soon enough!

Congrats Square Enix!

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Yata

Feb 1, 2019
Spain
Thought it would score higher just by hype alone. I'll read more reviews later.

The fact the game's story differs from the original and apparently due to Nomura's crazy shenanigans makes me extremely excited. But I'll wait to get the game. At the very least, until the quarantine is over.

Abominuz

Oct 29, 2017
Netherlands
Thanks for linking my review here. The combat is fucking excellent and I went on waaay too long talking about it specifically because it has so many good things going for it. Independent of story implications and additions good and bad, Remake is just a joy to play.

It is, the demo was not a good reflection on the combat at all. For me this is the best combat in a FF title ever.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
The most immediate comparison in my mind for the sidequests is that they're like Yakuza sidestories without the story.

Go here, beat up a thing, good job here's an item.

They're excuses to give you more combat puzzles to solve and are very rarely of any interest beyond that. There's a few that have some fun or interesting character moments, but most are just there to have you fight something more challenging than your everyday dungeon monster.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 7, 2019
Germany

Hard mode is only unlocked after beating the game once and it 100% assumes you are bringing in a post-game party into it. You can select the difficulty when choosing a chapter and then you can just play through, or skip ahead or go back, to any chapter you like. You get the trophy for doing all the chapters, though.

I mean it as in can I only select Hardmode in a NG+ save or can I replay chapters straight away after beating the game in the hardmode?

Turkoop

Oct 25, 2017
Cologne, GERMANY

Respect for staying awake Imran :P Now go and have some sleep :)

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
How is the English dub overall? I'm a purist typically with playing games in their native language but I must admit I enjoyed the English dub in the demo, and on a first playthrough I might want to hear the characters clearly during battle.

Ravage

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Fantastic scores for a JRPG. Then again, i've already preordered this weeks ago so it doesn't change anything for me lol