• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

pappacone

Jan 10, 2020
Always heard it being more open and with a lot of content be the excuse to justify it being released in episodes, now people seems to be happy about it being linear
OK, I guess?

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
Always heard it being more open and with a lot of content be the excuse to justify it being released in episodes, now people seems to be happy about it being linear
OK, I guess?
A game can be linear and have a lot of content. And most of us don't think it's purely linear, just that it's probably not a massive open world in the same way that XV is.

Martl

Oct 30, 2017
Austria
It's fascinating how previews focus on what's not going to be in the game instead of whats actually in the game.
Hopefully Part 1 is reviewed depending if it's a good game on itself and not that it's not the whole FF7 game.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
It's fascinating how previews focus on what's not going to be in the game instead of whats actually in the game.
Hopefully Part 1 is reviewed depending if it's a good game on itself and not that it's not the whole FF7 game.
Expecting it to score around 85 - 86. I think expectations and linearity will be a negative for some. This title was never not going to be polarizing.

Glad its not open world tho.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
KKAKbcO.gif

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
There's no way the game won't be divisive just because of having to buy multiple "episodes" to get the whole experience.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Am I the only one who enjoys the jaded takes? I find Jeff funny, I don't know.
Jeff and some of the other Giant Bomb members were blowing off the reveal back at Sony E3 2015. They were never interested in this game.
Brad likes it so I don't know where this even comes from.

They just don't share the deep hype the same as a lot of us, and that's fine. I don't know why everyone is so weird about Giantbomb all the time.

Martl

Oct 30, 2017
Austria
Expecting it to score around 85 - 86.

Would be dissapointing if reviews were based on false expactations and not only the game itself.

There's no way the game won't be divisive just because of having to buy multiple "episodes" to get the whole experience.

Sure, but that wouldn't affect the score, right?

"Fantastic game but because ist's only the first part i just give it a lower score."

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
On the contrary, people are very happy that the game is perfectly reimagining aspects of the original game. If people are going to judge its quality on what they included from the original game, it's only fair that they judge the game for what was excluded.

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
I think that is really the last worry I kind of have but to be honest I'm not in a rush I'm ok with this first part is great and feels incomplete cause my plan is to wait it out until at least the last part is close to release and get it all hopefully on the ps5. By then I'll profit from a cheaper price of the previous games as well.
By then it could 4 30-40 hour games plus optional stuff I would think a person would get burned out

Haribo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ooooof animal crossing it is. There's no way this game lasts more than a weekend or so in my Playstation. I'll buy it on sale when they announce the second part.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Yeah, reading him sounds like the game is awesome but since he knows it's only Midgar he's disappointed and can't forgive Square for it.

This is fully and 100% on Square Enix and no one else, however. They made the decision to release the game this way.

The only way to really "correct" this is issue is to make sure that the next installments release in a timely schedule. Realistically, this needs to be on a yearly release schedule but is there a single person who believes that will happen? I know they have already been in development on the next game so I don't think it's 3 years off but it's going to be a massive problem for people if it is.

And honestly, VII was a massive game. More casual consumers who played the original but don't keep up to date with gaming news/development are going to be buying this remake and not knowing it's only like 1/4 of the game. That could end up being a problem as well.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
By then it could 4 30-40 hour games plus optional stuff I would think a person would get burned out
I mean if it's all there I have the choice of when to take breaks and how long. Before that I don't I might just have to be left dangling for years. And as someone that lived through 4 years of wait until trails in the sky SC, no thanks that's an absolute turnoff. I'll take the cheaper price and choice + playing on a stronger system over that.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
This is fully and 100% on Square Enix and no one else, however. They made the decision to release the game this way.

The only way to really "correct" this is issue is to make sure that the next installments release in a timely schedule. Realistically, this needs to be on a yearly release schedule but is there a single person who believes that will happen? I know they have already been in development on the next game so I don't think it's 3 years off but it's going to be a massive problem for people if it is.

And honestly, VII was a massive game. More casual consumers who played the original but don't keep up to date with gaming news/development are going to be buying this remake and not knowing it's only like 1/4 of the game. That could end up being a problem as well.

I don't like that we'll have to wait god knows how long until part 2 but I'm used to that idea by now, that said I'll be disappointed and concerned if there's not a trailer at the end credits about Part 2, at the very least a CG trailer like in every Kingdom Hearts game but ideally they'll show snipets of real time stuff, if they do that then I'll believe.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I don't like that we'll have to wait god knows how long until part 2 but I'm used to that idea by now, that said I'll be disappointed and concerned if there's not a trailer at the end credits about Part 2, at the very least a CG trailer like in every Kingdom Hearts game but ideally they'll show snipets of real time stuff, if they do that then I'll believe.

A KH-like trailer would be a fantastic idea actually.

My "dream" is that something like that happens with "Spring 2021" at the end.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Gotta admit, the more I see the more convinced I am that classic is the way to go and I'm happy about that honestly. They took cooldown combat and prettied it up, but if the auto attacks are automated by Classic it leaves team management a la Xenoblade and such which actually endears me more to the system unless they botch the materia builds.

Just like the bombing mission though the linear boss fight spectacles are easy to get right with shiny lights and dangling keys, I'm looking to seeing how the meat and potatoes of the game plays.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
A Lord of the Rings type of situation would be the absolute best but I don't hold my hopes that up lol.

I feel like we're finally starting to see Japanese developers streamline their development again and get games out in a more timely fashion. Capcom is a good example of this and I honestly think we'll see games like FFXVI and KH4 sooner than some people think. But still, it's hard to have full faith.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
I still don't believe them. They've shown us nothing new and we're supposed to believe they have that much content in the game?

I'm sorry, I just don't believe it. If they just mean they made a lot of art assets, sure, but where's the new GAME parts?

From playing the demo, the areas are bigger and more natural to the type of game it is right now, and boss battles being longer also extends the time. I don't know how much new stuff would be in, I'm sure it'll be mostly the same with explorable areas and fetch quest with some new plot bits within the places we know. The game will extend from being bigger.

In the original you go from one place to the other in just two or three screens, here it might be more cohesive I presume.

Brot

Oct 25, 2017
the edge
You're kidding right? That shit was pretty much the prime argument to justify the game being sold in one part. Are you genuinely going to say that people were always fine with a linear experience? They saw the size of Midgar and told themselves they were fine if they could only explore a chunk guided by corridors and little exploration?
There's no need to get upset. I was asking who advertised the game as open-world Midgar because from what I remember they mentioned it being more open and explorable but I don't recall it being called open-world by the developers. But I'm asking because I could be totally wrong.

What people make up for their expectations is entirely up to them. In the main thread about the game we still have people holding out for a bait and switch, with Square delivering the full game instead of it just being Midgar. It's being said jokingly, of course, but still incredibly silly and gives others false hope for it to be more than that.

Personally, I can't say I'm happy that it's so linear but I'm not shocked. With FF XV they were showing off the open-world whenever they could whereas with this one, the majority we got was combat and cutscenes. The fact that they've been so coy about the side-content, even up to this point in the previews, spoke volumes to me. I, too, was holding out hope that it would be at least as open as God of War 2018 but the previews only confirmed what I suspected.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
I feel like we're finally starting to see Japanese developers streamline their development again and get games out in a more timely fashion. Capcom is a good example of this and I honestly think we'll see games like FFXVI and KH4 sooner than some people think. But still, it's hard to have full faith.

Fingers crossed, I want to believe that SE can't be dumb enough to have learned nothing from the last 10 years. For all we know the second part is already in development.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
From playing the demo, the areas are bigger and more natural to the type of game it is right now, and boss battles being longer also extends the time. I don't know how much new stuff would be in, I'm sure it'll be mostly the same with explorable areas and fetch quest with some new plot bits within the places we know. The game will extend from being bigger.

In the original you go from one place to the other in just two or three screens, here it might be more cohesive I presume.

Right, but unless you shove a ton of filler into every segment this story still isn't that long. There aren't that many events. So saying it's the same amount of content as a full FF game just feels disingenuous.

Perfect Chaos

Oct 25, 2017
Charlottesville, VA, USA
Fingers crossed, I want to believe that SE can't be dumb enough to have learned nothing from the last 10 years. For all we know the second part is already in development.
I'm pretty sure they've already confirmed that's the case. Or at least, we see things in the preview footage that will certainly be in Part 2, so they've probably already got a good start on asset creation.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
Right, but unless you shove a ton of filler into every segment this story still isn't that long. There aren't that many events. So saying it's the same amount of content as a full FF game just feels disingenuous.

They are also changing the story slightly as well so that opens up the main story to new plot points. Sephiroth is in Midgar now because Kitase said it was no point in hiding him as long as in the original as we all know its him.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina

We don't really know, that's people just asuming stuff but after playing the demo and considering the pics for quests and modes we've seen I can totally see a 30hs game. Probably 20 just for the story. Maybe 50hs if you do most stuff? no idea.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
They are also changing the story slightly as well so that opens up the main story to new plot points. Sephiroth is in Midgar now because Kitase said it was no point in hiding him as long as in the original as we all know its him.

That's not going to add that much, though. That's the thing, five minutes of extra cutscenes here and there isn't going to make this tiny slice of story the length of a full FF game. It's gonna be like 15 hours and then piles and piles of filler side content.

Dlanor A. Knox

▲ Legend ▲
Apr 6, 2018
I don't really like the combat, it feels clunky :/

Maybe I'm just bad at it, will give it another go later. But I had to use a ton of potions in the last bossfight and it was just annoying, felt like I couldn't dodge anything and even rolldodging the big aoe attack wasn't enough, I got hit everytime.

Game is also super linear from what i've seen in the demo / previews, feels like FFXIII.

The rest is fantastic though. Hopefully the world opens up later.

ultima786

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Some people's footage seems washed out. Is that because they captured hdr footage and I'm watching on a non hdr screen?

Wireframe

Oct 28, 2017
UK
"Yet again, I'm left wondering: If the Midgar sewers are chapter 10, how many chapters are there?"
18, there's 18 chapters Jason

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
"Last week I played a small slice of video game that is multiple times longer than that".

"I just couldn't shake the feeling that I was playing 1/10th of a video game"

no shit?

I think the point Jason is making by harping on that so much is that a game that was split up more thoughtfully might not feel as OBVIOUSLY like a prologue to a bigger story. But because we know exactly where this episode ends AND we're aware of how short that story segment is and how few locations you visit, you basically feel like you're playing an old-school timed demo disc that's going to kick you out right when things are about to get good.

Like if Absu is really Chapter 10, that means there really isn't that much game left after that point since after you get dumped in the sewers by Corneo, you basically run back to Sector 7, try to stop the plate drop, fail at that, and then immediately go straight to Shinra Tower and Midgar is over. By necessity (what with Aeris being kidnapped and all) there really isn't a lot of wiggle room for messing around or injecting more story into that section.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm going to listen to these when I get to work, so just a couple of quick questions:

1. Does every preview cover the exact slice of gameplay/story?

2. If the answer is "no", which previews get into details without spoiling much?

ultima786

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Anyone notice the preview footage seems like the hDR is washed out? It might be because I'm washing on non-hdr screens. I'm assuming footage was indeed hdr

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Yea, I don't understand the sudden shift in the expectations either tbh.

Thus far, almost every discussion I've seen about the game being episodic, always talked about how bigger and open part 1 will be and how you can explore and do all those things you couldn't do in the original release. And now everyone is glad and hoping that it's small and linear....?

Merc_

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Am I the only one who enjoys the jaded takes? I find Jeff funny, I don't know.

Brad likes it so I don't know where this even comes from.

They just don't share the deep hype the same as a lot of us, and that's fine. I don't know why everyone is so weird about Giantbomb all the time.
Seriously. That video is overall pretty positive but I guess because they aren't bouncing off the walls from hype it isn't enough for some people.

ultima786

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Seriously. That video is overall pretty positive but I guess because they aren't bouncing off the walls from hype it isn't enough for some people.
I definitely feel like they enjoy their own cynicism. It's a bit too much for my tastes. It almost feels like they know this thing is incredible but just don't want to admit. The one fellow who clearly loved it almost felt guilty to make it plain that he felt that way. But that's fine, these are just opinions.

Oleander

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really not understanding some of the expectation that there would be a sense of disappointment when reaching the end of the Midgar section and, from there, the end of this first episode of the remake. It's such a perfect point to end the first part, as it follows a significant turning point in the story and where it feels like there's a big reset in direction. Why are some people looking at it as if the rest of the game is excluded, when we know it is coming later? Why, in this industry that has embraced Early Access, is the idea that more will come later such a damaging concept to this remake?

I didn't walk out of the cinema after watching The Fellowship of the Ring feeling disgusted that I didn't get the whole of The Lord of the Rings. I was excited for the next movie to come out, just like I'll be excited for Remake Part II. The remake is a full-priced video game, yes, but my cinema ticket wasn't any cheaper for it being the first in a trilogy either.

Maybe it's just a difference in outlook, and if it is, I hope I never become so jaded and cynical.