• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
Easy Allies

GameXplain

Press-Start AU
While this retelling of the story might never replace Final Fantasy VII in fans' eyes, with the amount of love and care being poured into the Final Fantasy VII Remake by a team composed of some its original creators and many of its original fans, there's no doubt in my mind that Final Fantasy VII Remake will sit proudly alongside it. I won't know for sure until the complete product is in my hands, but this initial taste has me confident that all of the promise of that first reveal way back in 2015 will be delivered on and then some. This is how you do a remake.

God is a Geek
Final Fantasy VII Remake is going to make fans of the original cry, I can already sense it. These characters mean a lot to me, like they do to many other fans, and I firmly believe this game will be a faithful recreation of the original. The visuals are stunning, the score is a thing of beauty, and the gameplay is so satisfying. The camera angles are tricky to get used to, but it's too early to say whether these will continue throughout the finished product. Regardless, from what I've played so far, Final Fantasy VII Remake is going to be incredible.

Gamespot
[...] it's the constant thrill and excitement of combat that makes me happy to charge headlong into any and all battles the game wants to throw at me. I may have come away with some hesitations about how the structure of Remake's first part might shake out in the full game, but so long as the fights keep coming, I think I'm going to have a buster of a good time.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
From the blurbs they're very positive.

Maximilian Dood's video I'm guessing will be up later since he said on Stream that he already recorded it.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca

Ultimately, we're both excited and concerned. The combat seems excellent, but will it be enough to carry a largely linear campaign that's been padded out with some tedious objectives? Square Enix was very specific about the sections that we saw, so maybe it's saving the most exciting parts for fans to discover on launch day in a couple of months. But why wouldn't it want to put its best foot forward? Maybe the enormous expectations resting on this remake's colossal shoulders need to be re-calibrated just a little bit.

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
Hello! Lots of stuff from me this morning.

My preview on VG247: https://www.vg247.com/2020/03/02/final-fantasy-7-remake-hands-on-preview/
There's also an interview with the devs: https://www.vg247.com/2020/03/02/final-fantasy-7-remake-interview/

I touch on this being the best FF combat in years and some other points, like...
  • Advent Children music is in the game, and Kitase says the compilation is absolutely still the basis for the lore of the remake (even if it's a separate continuity)
  • Red XIII isn't playable - he'll be a guest party member
  • We still know nothing about the other 'half' of the game - the all-new stuff where the side quests take place and stuff.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
Hello! Lots of stuff from me this morning.

My preview on VG247: https://www.vg247.com/2020/03/02/final-fantasy-7-remake-hands-on-preview/
There's also an interview with the devs: https://www.vg247.com/2020/03/02/final-fantasy-7-remake-interview/

I touch on this being the best FF combat in years and some other points, like...
  • Advent Children music is in the game, and Kitase says the compilation is absolutely still the basis for the lore of the remake (even if it's a separate continuity)
  • Red XIII isn't playable - he'll be a guest party member
  • We still know nothing about the other 'half' of the game - the all-new stuff where the side quests take place and stuff.

So this seems to have been a mainly combat focused preview?

APZonerunner

Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
So this seems to have been a mainly combat focused preview?

To be clear, the preview was basically the 1st Mako Reactor Mission, the immediate aftermath on the streets of Midgar (Aerith encounter, Cloud running from the soliders, etc), the SECOND Mako reactor mission start to finish (from the moment you enter the reactor to Air Buster) and the Abzu boss fight they previously showed at TGS. So, yeah, it was very combat heavy. Almost all combat.

One thing I say in my previews is that we didn't see any downtime, we didn't see any of these new areas of Midgar that seemingly be sorta open-worldish (FF15ish?) where the fetch quests and stuff like that will take place. Everything we saw was a linear rollercoaster ride just like the original game's Midgar section (but expanded). It's a really fucking good rollercoaster, though - excellent - but exactly how good the game is to me I think will ride on that extra stuff we haven't yet seen. The bit that's just remaking the elements from FF7 exactly is amazing, though.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
The demo just became available on PS4. Is this what is being played in the preview?

FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE DEMO

Enjoy the first chapter of FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE─the iconic Mako Reactor 1 bombing mission─with this demo version.br- Progress cannot be carried over into the retail version of the game.br- Content may differ from that of the retail version.brbrFINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE is a bold reimagining...

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
To be clear, the preview was basically the 1st Mako Reactor Mission, the immediate aftermath on the streets of Midgar (Aerith encounter, Cloud running from the soliders, etc), the SECOND Mako reactor mission start to finish (from the moment you enter the reactor to Air Buster) and the Abzu boss fight they previously showed at TGS. So, yeah, it was very combat heavy. Almost all combat.

One thing I say in my previews is that we didn't see any downtime, we didn't see any of these new areas of Midgar that seemingly be sorta open-worldish (FF15ish?) where the fetch quests and stuff like that will take place. Everything we saw was a linear rollercoaster ride just like the original game's Midgar section (but expanded). It's a really fucking good rollercoaster, though - excellent - but exactly how good the game is to me I think will ride on that extra stuff we haven't yet seen. The bit that's just remaking the elements from FF7 exactly is amazing, though.

Hmmm, interesting. I wonder if the previews focusing on the combat was a result of Square's fears of how it would be received given that it not being turned based was a huge sticking point for it since that original PSX gameplay reveal. Guess it became compounded after FFXV as well. I'm super happy to hear that everything else so far is amazing though, and while I don't want to worry too much about the rest of the game, for now, I think the gameplay being as solid as it is is enough to calm a lot of fears.

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
I feel this is going to be very linear game.
I actually don't mind if that's the case. Midgar was pretty linear originally, and they can trim down usual AAA bloat. But I think the beginning is just going to be linear, but I bet the game opens up a lot in the later half. You're probably able at one point to explore multiple sectors at your own pace, I bet.

Simo

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan, USA
The demo just became available on PS4. Is this what is being played in the preview?

FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE DEMO

Enjoy the first chapter of FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE─the iconic Mako Reactor 1 bombing mission─with this demo version.br- Progress cannot be carried over into the retail version of the game.br- Content may differ from that of the retail version.brbrFINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE is a bold reimagining...

No, press played basically everything in the demo and then continued on from where the demo ends for 10 chapters or so.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
The game being linear is absolutely fine with me. Even approaching a pro. What bothers me is that the game uses music from Advent Children.

The last thing I want to be reminded of when playing this is Advent Children.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
The fear of linearity might be connected, I guess, to a shorter final product? Those who would prefer an open-ended design (if it's well done, better) for the sake of length and size... I think I prefer the opposite, a leaner rollercoaster, like described above, with a few replayable elements or simply the quality of the ride to justify more playthroughs. I'm sick of bloated worlds and endless trips from A to B and return. A 20-30 hour adventure at most would be ideal, personally.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
The fear of linearity might be connected, I guess, to a shorter final product? Those who would prefer an open-ended design (if it's well done, better) for the sake of length and size... I think I prefer the opposite, a leaner rollercoaster, like described above, with a few replayable elements or simply the quality of the ride to justify more playthroughs. I'm sick of bloated worlds and endless trips from A to B and return. A 20-30 hour adventure at most would be ideal, personally.
It's also what most FF games are. They're mostly linear and can be completed in 30 hours or so, adding more for side content. They were usually good at creating an illusion of open-ness, but most of them are linear as can be.

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
Any comments of performance? Is it 30 of 60fps? I have a really bad feeling it will be unlocked jerky 60 or locked 30 with bad frame pacing.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
A linear 15-20 hour rollercoaster ride was what I always assumed.

Side quests and collectibles to 100% the game can stretch it to 30 hours.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
It's also what most FF games are. They're mostly linear and can be completed in 30 hours or so, adding more for side content. They were usually good at creating an illusion of open-ness, but most of them are linear as can be.
That's true. I remember finishing XV under 30 hours, for example, exactly when I had enough of it. The ones I played for the longest time (VIII or X) were only because of its optional content. A good minigame like Triad can make all the difference. So I'd be glad if they keep pushing this sort of design now, when it seems that to so many developers are trying to chase the bigger is better phallacy.

Any comments of performance? Is it 30 of 60fps? I have a really bad feeling it will be unlocked jerky 60 or locked 30 with bad frame pacing.
It's said to be locked to 30fps. On the other hand, an unlocked mode could turn into an stable 60fps as soon as PS5 releases. Hopefully there's an option to choose between both.

APZonerunner

Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
Would be weird if it wouldnt be linear as the original game was as well.

I think part of the challenge is to do with perspective, where in those pre-rendered CG background games with a variety of perspectives even if you're walking through corridors it never feels like you are... but in 3D environments, corridors look and feel like corridors. That was FF13's big problem. So that's what they need to avoid, either through clever area design or other distractions. I think in the Mako Reactor missions (both of which I've now played) the fact you're on a tight, fairly constrained path is excellent hidden by how good the combat is and how funny/genuine/endearing/lore-enriching the character interactions are.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
I think part of the challenge is to do with perspective, where in those pre-rendered CG background games with a variety of perspectives even if you're walking through corridors it never feels like you are... but in 3D environments, corridors look and feel like corridors. That was FF13's big problem. So that's what they need to avoid, either through clever area design or other distractions. I think in the Mako Reactor missions (both of which I've now played) the fact you're on a tight, fairly constrained path is excellent hidden by how good the combat is and how funny/genuine/endearing/lore-enriching the character interactions are.

I never agreed with peoples issue on 13 so I think I will be fine.

PowerUp

Mar 30, 2018
As a bonus, kitase told me he wanted it to be full blown action game with no ATB or turn based features but Nomura fought for them

powerup-gaming.com

Final Fantasy 7 Remake was nearly a “full-on, modern action game” - PowerUp!

In a recent chat with Final Fantasy 7 Director and Remake Producer Kitase Yoshinori, he told me that Final Fantasy 7 Remake very nearly didn't include any of the ATB mechanics, time pausing or semi-turn based actions that are included in the final game. It was only intervention by Nomura Tetsuya...

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
As a bonus, kitase told me he wanted it to be full blown action game with no ATB or turn based features but Nomura fought for them

powerup-gaming.com

In a recent chat with Final Fantasy 7 Director and Remake Producer Kitase Yoshinori, he told me that Final Fantasy 7 Remake very nearly didn't include any of the ATB mechanics, time pausing or semi-turn based actions that are included in the final game. It was only intervention by Nomura Tetsuya...

Damn you Nomura!

MickZan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

powerup-gaming.com

Nomura for president.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany

powerup-gaming.com

Good on Nomura. For a Remake like this not putting atleast some sort of option there would have been wrong imo.