• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Favorite FF7R character

• Cloud

Votes: 278 18.2%
  • Tifa

Votes: 518 34.0%
  • Barret

Votes: 257 16.9%
  • Aerith

Votes: 471 30.9%

• Total voters

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
personally, i think they shouldn't be afraid of dictating who is in the party for the vast majority of the game. doing so has a couple of advantages. first, it forces the player to adapt to whatever party composition they get. parties without a healer, without a damage tank or without a ranged attacker could all pose interesting unique challenges. second, pairing the characters up in different combinations throughout the game allows them to write unique dialogue that develops and expands on the relationships between different characters as party compositions change. i think they did that successfully here, and they did it successfully in past games like final fantast ix
I respect how they handled party composition in this one, but I have faith that they will be capable of making party member changing fluid and well thought out.

I think what will happen, gameplay and character wise, is that the entire party will be present in different places in towns, and will comment as stuff happens in dungeons, but you will be able to switch party members both out of combat and in, using ATB.

When sidequests happen and stuff, the requisite party members will show up to talk and interact with it, before going out of view and your current party shows back up. Maybe you even have party members interact passively with stuff as you are in a safe area, and they are walking around! That would be pretty awesome!

I also think having party member switching being so dynamic would be a great help to Materia customization, since you could build each character to handle different threats and work differently. That way you don't have to save Materia Loadouts, you can just have each character built for whatever, and switch them in to cover a Weakness in the party.

I think they will try to incorporate Loadouts in the expanded design, but I hope that they handle party members like this. It was totally great to have everything be more straightforward and controlled in Midgar, but now it would be much better to have dynamic control, and not limit the party too often.

Ghost Slayer

Oct 30, 2017
Anyone feel that
Counterstance
maybe a bit broken? I think I beat most enemies in hard mode so far thanks to it lol

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
Felt there was some good discussion of criticisms of FF7 before it got locked (so the discussion could be moved here). Thought it was productive discussion for the most part but I guess isn't worthy of its own thread.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/op...remake-is-a-chore.196251/page-6#post-32862666

I just wrapped up all the sidequests for chapter 14, and the sidequests are pretty whack. Lots of backtracking, lots of fetching, and no sense of discovery. Also bad VA and writing.

I also did the Pull up mini game against Jules on Pro. It's kind of a bad mini game but i did sort of enjoy the challenge where you needed the perfect run but also a little bit of luck to beat him.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Counterstance is busted, I think it can cancel attacks as well IIRC. That and parry materia for Tifa are a bit OP.

I know people don't like the lack of cancelling in this but I'd go the other way and say nothing should be cancellable. Make it full Sekiro/Dark Souls style. Hard commit to everything.

tjlee2

Oct 27, 2017
personally, i think they shouldn't be afraid of dictating who is in the party for the vast majority of the game. doing so has a couple of advantages. first, it forces the player to adapt to whatever party composition they get. parties without a healer, without a damage tank or without a ranged attacker could all pose interesting unique challenges. second, pairing the characters up in different combinations throughout the game allows them to write unique dialogue that develops and expands on the relationships between different characters as party compositions change. i think they did that successfully here, and they did it successfully in past games like final fantast ix

It would be difficult to do it outside of Midgar narratively. With new plot threads introduced it's possible that there are enough things happening at once that the party need to split up into teams, if they want to go that route. Downside of that is then certain characters will be forced into limited interaction with others, more concerning for new characters that will need time to bond to be similar in quality of interaction as in this game. Forced composition is not mutually exclusive from any condition associated what I said anyways. There is no reason an active/sub swap implementation would make that impossible.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Damn if I missed this on my first playthrough will I have to redo all the sidequests again? I also didn't save the first time I did it and had to redo them all. Sidequests for the most part are the one big thing I hated about the game. They are just so uninspired most of the time and the ones in Ch. 14 were especially shitty.
You need to redo them on Hard if you want the Manuscripts.

Oct 25, 2017
Underground
This game yo

Biggs was sad enough, and even though I knew what was coming, Jessie's final moments still had me in tears. I'm actually gonna miss these characters.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Damn that last summon battle was straight intense. He got me the first time but I came back strong the second but it was definitely fun. Couldn't even imagine how much damage he will do on my hard mode run. I'm pretty sure I'm way op for this point in the game, especially on normal.

*says nothing but awaits future Rickyrozay2o9 post about a hard mode battle*

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have a question. I'm on my hard play trough (ch8)
I see in this chapter there is 6 book to get for upgrading weapons. In normal mode I already did all side quest for the last Aerith dress. Now I read I need to do 0 or 3 max for other dresses. But there are 4 books rewards from side quest.
so I need to do it 3 times minimum. But Which one is taken for Aerith dress in later chapter ? The last completed ?
If I'm not clear I need 2 dress for Aerith but I also need to do many side quest which will nullify these wanted dress later. So I need to do first all side quest then for exemple none and I will get the basic Aerith dress ? And If I replay the chapter 8 again with 3 completed quest then the next one will have 2nd Aerith dress ? I'm confused

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Reached chapter 5 on hard. Had a surprisingly tough time with Roche for a bit there, though that might have been because of my low health. I'm also kind of a dumbass at times and play too defensively. Need to learn to react faster instead of waiting in punisher mode or counterstance. Otherwise having a ton of fun. Really enjoy the challenge, though I'm sure I'll enjoy it a lot more once I'm done grinding to master those magic materias for Chadley. Just got revival, subversion, and binding to go. Until then, I'll have to waste three of my materia slots. Glad I've got everyone (minus Aerith) up to six slots now at least. It's a real shame the Buster Sword doesn't have any special skills to unlock cause it's always what I use. At least it's got good and balanced stats.

evilalien

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
I have a question. I'm on my hard play trough (ch8)
I see in this chapter there is 6 book to get for upgrading weapons. In normal mode I already did all side quest for the last Aerith dress. Now I read I need to do 0 or 3 max for other dresses. But there are 4 books rewards from side quest.
so I need to do it 3 times minimum. But Which one is taken for Aerith dress in later chapter ? The last completed ?
If I'm not clear I need 2 dress for Aerith but I also need to do many side quest which will nullify these wanted dress later. So I need to do first all side quest then for exemple none and I will get the basic Aerith dress ? And If I replay the chapter 8 again with 3 completed quest then the next one will have 2nd Aerith dress ? I'm confused

The last full completion of chapters 3 and 8 is used when you get to chapter 9. You can see the quest status for prior chapters in the quest log. Also you can get all the manuscripts in chapter 8 on hard without completing all the quests. As long as you only do 3-5 of them, you will get the mid-tier dress.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
You need to redo them on Hard if you want the Manuscripts.
Know what's horrible? I didn't notice it on the ground in either my Normal or Hard playthroughs and only found out about it when I was almost done with the Platinum trophy so I jumped into 14 and set it to Easy just so I could quickly blow through that chapter to get it. lol

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The last full completion of chapters 3 and 8 is used when you get to chapter 9. You can see the quest status for prior chapters in the quest log. Also you can get all the manuscripts in chapter 8 on hard without completing all the quests. As long as you only do 3-5 of them, you will get the mid-tier dress.
Thanks. So I need to do chapter 8 with 4 side quest and I'll get the middle dress for Aerith, then replay chapter 8 with no side quest to have the basic one? As of now I'll have a 2nd Tifa dress as well. I'll need to replay the chapter where I choose it for Tifa then replay again chapter 9 right ?

evilalien

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks. So I need to do chapter 8 with 4 side quest and I'll get the middle dress for Aerith, then replay chapter 8 with no side quest to have the basic one? As of now I'll have a 2nd Tifa dress as well. I'll need to replay the chapter where I choose it for Tifa then replay again chapter 9 right ?

Yes, replay just 3 and 8 to completion with less than 3 sidequests done and then do 9 again (have to do no sidequests in 9 too or whichever set of sidequests you haven't done) to get the last dresses. Don't bother doing this until you're done with hard and have obtained your second set of dresses.

Rookhelm

Oct 27, 2017
Platinum get!

84 hours 44 minutes! Man, what a ride.

The last trophy I got was the 300% stagger one. Here's what I did in case anyone is having trouble

Prerequisites:
-Beat the game
-Beat Pride & Joy VR challenge (to get the Gotterdammerung item)
-Tifa's True Strike ability from Purple Pain gloves
-Aerith's Ray of Judgement from Mythril Rod (edit: thanks kaebie)

Party:
Cloud, Tifa, Aerith

Equipment:
Give Gotterdammerung item and Refocus materia to Tifa
Give First Strike Materia to Aerith
The other First Strike Materia to Tifa, though doesn't really matter
Give everyone 2x HP Up. I had 9k+ on each character....doesn't matter too much, just higher the better, that way you don't have to heal for any of this

Encounter:
Fat Chocobo VR challenge on Easy (can you even choose difficulty? I went to the Chapter 17 Chadley on Easy)

Strategy:
-Start off by using Tifa's Refocus Limit to give her 3 bars
-Switch to Aerith and use her Square attacks until she has full 2 bars
-Switch back to Tifa and just use square on Fat Chocobo. I think I used Empower once to raise his pressure bar
-Just use square attacks with Tifa mostly to get him staggered. At this point, you want Tifa to have 3 full ATB bars and Aerith a full 2

When he gets staggered, do the following:
-Aerith's Ray of Judgment (raises stagger percentage, uses 2 ATB bars)
-Unbridled Strength x2 on Tifa (if you want, do this before stagger, just make sure to work back up to 3 ATB bars by the time he staggers)
-Tifa's True Strike ability (raises percentage)
-Triangle (Rise and Fall), Triangle (Omnistrike), Triangle (Uppercut)
-Unbridled Strength x2 on Tifa
-Triangle (Rise and Fall), Triangle (Omnistrike), Triangle (Uppercut)
-Repeat Unbridled Strength + Triangle attacks as much as you can

On my very last hit to Fat Chocobo when he died, I hit 300%. If you're killing him too fast, I recommend having Chadley reset the weapons you're using to lower their damage. You could start by resetting cloud's weapon since you're not using him

Last edited:

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
Beat Hard mode Chapter 14. I heard from few people that the Ch 14 boss on Hard can be tough so I was mentally prepared... didn't go to bad although I did have to retry once because I messed up my materia load.

Before starting Ch 15 I am thinking of doing the final VR mission. Is there any tips/suggestions on materia load out or in general that I should be aware of going into this final mission?

Deleted member 15360

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Beat Hard mode Chapter 14. I heard from few people that the Ch 14 boss on Hard can be tough so I was mentally prepared... didn't go to bad although I did have to retry once because I messed up my materia load.

Before starting Ch 15 I am thinking of doing the final VR mission. Is there any tips/suggestions on materia load out or in general that I should be aware of going into this final mission?
For Shiva fight, have elemental + lighting on cloud armour , it will be a cake walk, as he will keep healing

Fat chobo is a breeze

For levaintan and bahamut, manawall + magnify

For pride and joy - lighting

Have a party for cloud, Barret and aerith

Barret will be useful in leviathan

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
I did 1.5 playthroughs without knowing how to use the long ranged attack during bike sections. I always saw L1 for long range attack, would press the button, and nothing would happen so I assumed it was something unfinished left over.

Didn't know holding it gave you a different triangle skill until ch 18 on hard mode.

They really need to step up their tutorial game for the sequel.

Also has anyone found a use for Tifa's hold square charge up attack during combos?

Balls

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Felt there was some good discussion of criticisms of FF7 before it got locked (so the discussion could be moved here). Thought it was productive discussion for the most part but I guess isn't worthy of its own thread.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/op...remake-is-a-chore.196251/page-6#post-32862666

I just wrapped up all the sidequests for chapter 14, and the sidequests are pretty whack. Lots of backtracking, lots of fetching, and no sense of discovery. Also bad VA and writing.

I also did the Pull up mini game against Jules on Pro. It's kind of a bad mini game but i did sort of enjoy the challenge where you needed the perfect run but also a little bit of luck to beat him.
Not really, it's just the same people saying the same shit over and over again.

Lifendz

Oct 27, 2017
Finally beat Jules in the pull-up challenge. Holy Hell! My neighbors must think I'm a crazy person the way I was rapidly chanting the button order for what felt like an eternity

Deleted member 15360

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
20200501-165534.jpg

Finally got the platinum , 106 hrs clocked

Haha. I spent like 1 hour to beat him as Tifa. I dont get why he is so hard to beat compare to Cloud's

Button combination was much harder in the case for tifa

Hateno

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 30, 2017
20200501-165534.jpg

Finally got the platinum , 106 hrs clocked

Button combination was much harder in the case for tifa
Congrats! Think I'll end up clocking similarly. I just beat Pride and Joy but still have to play through 11-18 on hard. Although now I've done that fight, it seems the end is in sight :D

Oct 30, 2017

If Remake is a chore, then alot of other games must be forced labor.

I have a very strong dislike for the average side quest design and while Remake didn't have mind blowing side quests, there's not many, they overlap each other, can be done quickly and their not forced. So even though I won't defend their quality, this game sidequests is pretty tame in comparison to others.

I would say the issue for me is when segments last to long, which translated to, they did this just to pad it out. That's what I thought anyways.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Anyone feel that
Counterstance
maybe a bit broken? I think I beat most enemies in hard mode so far thanks to it lol
It is stupid powerful. Esp vs the 3rd last boss, it makes the fight a lot easier. I think that and auto counter on punisher mode are awfully utilized. Needs to be timed correctly or the move fails.

Deleted member 15360

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I have a very strong dislike for the average side quest design and while Remake didn't have mind blowing side quests, there's not many, they overlap each other, can be done quickly and their not forced. So even though I won't defend their quality, this game sidequests is pretty tame in comparison to others.

I would say the issue for me is when segments last to long, which translated to, they did this just to pad it out. That's what I thought anyways.
Adding to this every side quest in chapter 14 did reward with an interesting enemy (behemoth and tonberry) , enemy skills to learn and an interesting story from the angels of the slums

This game is SO GOOD. I don't care if it's padded to hell and back, I'm having a blast.

What matter in the end which is gameplay which ff7 remake nails it.

I loved playing each side quest and completed the game thrice due to rewarding gameplay

The depth in the gameplay is amazing

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
Chapter 13.
I am so incredibly checked out.

first Aerith is taken away and unlike the original everyone is all "cool cool... it's fine we'll just leave her with Shinra...who needs revenge for dropping the plate in Sector 7?"

But now we're back in the Sector 7 rubble? After the entire upper city portion was dropped on it and walking around at ground level of the slums??Right out of the tunnel ... come on SquareEnix... this is not how rubble works...

my level of disbelief can handle magic balls that grant elemental powers and a skinny dude who can weild a sword larger than himself with ease, but an entire city falling on some slums and me being able to walk at original ground level in the wreckage is a bridge too far.

Edit:
I didn't think it could get worse, but somehow seconds after posting this... it did.
now there was always a Shinra special test site under Wedge's house all along that I need to go through... really? Reaaaalllyyy?
🤨

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017

You do have to do some of the sidequests to get to the critical path. Tifa wants you to build your rep around town for bit, Aerith wants you to "help people" around town, and chapter 14 seems like you need to do a couple before it opens up.

The quests have been find these cats, find these ingredients, go backtrack to this area and fight this monster. Find these soundtracks for some reason. FF7 is maybe the biggest JRPG out there so I expected more. Nothing surprising ever really happens in these side quests, they're so straight forward and the stories they try to tell with them are forgettable. "Hey Cloud kill these rats"

Not saying I completely hate the game, but it's disappointing in a lot of ways.

All things considered, the padding is very overstated imo. It's no more than your average optional sub stories in a the Yakuza games.

Yakuza 0 side stories are hilarious and even if what you do is relatively simple (fight people, make dialogue choices), they are just enjoyable because of the writing and the twists. You never know what to expect from them; or where they might take you.

FF7 sidequests are "kill these rats" and "go over here and fight this monster, here's my contrived npc backstory for why you have to fight that monster"

The writing/humor/personality of Yukuza's side content puts FF7 to shame.

Oct 30, 2017
You do have to do some of the sidequests to get to the critical path. Tifa wants you to build your rep around town for bit, Aerith wants you to "help people" around town, and chapter 14 seems like you need to do a couple before it opens up.

The quests have been find these cats, find these ingredients, go backtrack to this area and fight this monster. Find these soundtracks for some reason. FF7 is maybe the biggest JRPG out there so I expected more. Nothing surprising ever really happens in these side quests, they're so straight forward and the stories they try to tell with them are forgettable. "Hey Cloud kill these rats"

Not saying I completely hate the game, but it's disappointing in a lot of ways.

Yakuza 0 side stories are hilarious and even if what you do is relatively simple (fight people, make dialogue choices), they are just enjoyable because of the writing and the twists. You never know what to expect from them; or where they might take you.

FF7 sidequests are "kill these rats" and "go over here and fight this monster, here's my contrived npc backstory for why you have to fight that monster"

The writing/humor/personality of Yukuza's side content puts FF7 to shame.

I'll have to see as I play through hard, but I was under the impression you can skip a majority of them and head to the next story objective.

Yeah those early side quests were the worst. I found them more tolerable later on.

As simple as many of them are, I guess my overall point was that their only found in a few chapters and even if you have to do a few, it's pretty quick. I would often gather quest items as I was in the middle of another quest. I did very little back tracking and the fast travel minimized it even more in later chapters. Plus the levels are not that big, but yeah, I agree their overly simple and I can see why its disappointing. Especially if your more in the mood to just getting going. I honestly think they act as an opportunity for you to battle as there's no random battles like the original.

I like the sound of Yakuza side quests. Which is a bit of what you get in chapter 9. But making them funny, choice filled quests that lead you to some interesting situations that play out slightly different from your choices. would be a nice addition.

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
If I never hear the Wall Market music ever again, I'll be happy.

A lot of the side quests feel like non-valuable filler, but I've enjoyed it because I find the game a joy to play.

However,
going back into Sector 7 is just dumb. A city fell 300 meters (or whatever it is) onto the slums. There should be nothing there but a solid pile of rubble. The fact that they wander into the slums from a sewer pipe and immediately find a recognizable 7th Heaven is just dumb.

There was a way to add side content here that wasn't that, but oh well. Not a major foul.

Last edited: