• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Favorite FF7R character

• Cloud

Votes: 278 18.2%
  • Tifa

Votes: 518 34.0%
  • Barret

Votes: 257 16.9%
  • Aerith

Votes: 471 30.9%

• Total voters

OG YOLOwen

Banned
Mar 24, 2019
Man it's so fucking refreshing seeing Cloud be a badass in this game. I think I'm on chapter 4 or something and they totally nailed his character

I can't believe this is real

Sebmugi

Nov 8, 2017
France
nice png ^^

1586536607-final-fantasy-vii-remake-20200410160051-resultat.jpg

1586536607-final-fantasy-vii-remake-20200410152738-resultat.jpg

1586536626-final-fantasy-vii-remake-20200410174946-resultat.jpg

Deleted member 9100

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I am absolutely in love with this game. Started with Chapter 3 today, and outside of a few breaks, I played all the way to the Airbuster fight and quit when I met Aerith.

Uhh, I'm not sure where you got that from but

That's not Zack, that's her father

My bad. It was a quick flashback and my memory of ff7 is from my playthrough 15 years ago.
I had remembered that she used to dat Zach, but had forgotten her father died. It was quick and i was really distracted by her ridiculous outfit.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
HELP! Is there a way to lower the volume of "crowd dialogue" during important character moments?

It's so bizarre to me that scripted sequences, like you reuniting with Tifa and learning about her life as she gives you a tour of the town, are completely drowned out by all the towns folk having their own conversations at the same time.

It's awful and it makes it incredibly difficult to appreciate conversations that are supposed to be important to the story.

Anyone else have an issue with this?
Does it eventually go away?

wbloop

Oct 26, 2017
Germany

Deleted member 9100

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The constant sections where you are supposed to "blend into the crowd" are hilarious to me. Shinra is rushing in trying to figure out who just attacked them. Definitely couldnt be the guy with a gun for an arm and the guy with a 6 foot sword on his back. Not suspicious at all.

I also thought it was hilarious when
The hoodlums pick a fight with Cloud. If theres anyone i would not pick a fight with, it is the guy with a 6 foot sword on his back.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
HELP! Is there a way to lower the volume of "crowd dialogue" during important character moments?

It's so bizarre to me that scripted sequences, like you reuniting with Tifa and learning about her life as she gives you a tour of the town, are completely drowned out by all the towns folk having their own conversations at the same time.

It's awful and it makes it incredibly difficult to appreciate conversations that are supposed to be important to the story.

Wait for a patch

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I am just about to close out Chapter 8 and I don't think the LOD textures are a glitch - I saw them earlier in the other highly populated areas topside and near Sector 7 as well. I think it's just a reality of the PS4's hardware limitations mixed with the asset quality and animation density the game is trying to push. I vaguely remember FFXV looking the same. That being said, the art direction is is genuinely incredible that it hasn't bothered me at all whatsoever.

That's one of the best things about the game. The super eclectic art direction from the original is preserved but also executed masterfully. In a game less well directed seeing a guy in a turtleneck tanktop, suspenders, and a big sword walking through what is effectively a mashup of Chicago and London would look.... Schizophrenic at best. But Midgar is a beautifully realized place, feeling both lived in and naturalistic.

There's a lot to say about this games extensive use of naturalistic art design and dialogue. Aside from the typical anime grunting here and there, most of the dialogue is astonishingly conversational. People cuss without gravitas, which is a weird thing to praise, but the script genuinely seems to understand how people speak. Characters stutter, mumble, speak too loudly at times, swear casually, and flow from topic to topic extremely fluidly. It is very, very impressive for an in-house Square Enix script.

13 hours in and I am really, really pleased with this games overall I production design and pacing. I am dreading the end and I am not even halfway done.

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
Anybody knows what song that plays during...

Roof jumping with aerith after battle with reno in chapter 8??

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018

What is your sound setup? I had issues with my surround sound until I unplugged my side speakers. That, for some reason, equalized out the voices and gave me proper rear channel support. If you are running a surround sound setup or a sound bar, make sure it's set to "standard" or "movie" EQ and only have it set for 5.1.

If you aren't using a sound bar or surround sound, I am not sure :(

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone else notice what looks like a 2d texture for the background on Chapter 6? Was like really? They actually used a low rez pic for that?

There's an even better one in 8, when you get there go outside and look to the main pillar. You'll see static 2D choppers lol

Niks

Oct 25, 2017
I am just about to close out Chapter 8 and I don't think the LOD textures are a glitch - I saw them earlier in the other highly populated areas topside and near Sector 7 as well. I think it's just a reality of the PS4's hardware limitations mixed with the asset quality and animation density the game is trying to push. I vaguely remember FFXV looking the same. That being said, the art direction is is genuinely incredible that it hasn't bothered me at all whatsoever.

That's one of the best things about the game. The super eclectic art direction from the original is preserved but also executed masterfully. In a game less well directed seeing a guy in a turtleneck tanktop, suspenders, and a big sword walking through what is effectively a mashup of Chicago and London would look.... Schizophrenic at best. But Midgar is a beautifully realized place, feeling both lived in and naturalistic.

There's a lot to say about this games extensive use of naturalistic art design and dialogue. Aside from the typical anime grunting here and there, most of the dialogue is astonishingly conversational. People cuss without gravitas, which is a weird thing to praise, but the script genuinely seems to understand how people speak. Characters stutter, mumble, speak too loudly at times, swear casually, and flow from topic to topic extremely fluidly. It is very, very impressive for an in-house Square Enix script.

13 hours in and I am really, really pleased with this games overall I production design and pacing. I am dreading the end and I am not even halfway done.

These are my thoughts as well. Thanks for articulating them so well.

ultima786

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I can not believe this is real. At chapter 5.

it deserves a 10 just for how fun and interesting it is. There is Nothing out there like this. So fun, hilarious, beautiful, insane, and cinematic a and characters and and and

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
Damn, this game is the shit. Just sat down and played the whole day. Haven't done that in ages.

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm on chapter 8 and about 11 hours in, this game has stolen current goty front runner from re3 already. I beat that game 4 times already but this remake in comparison is on another level. Im glad theres still so much left, I'm definitely gonna go back to the original again to refresh my brain once I'm done.

NNN

Nov 1, 2017
The game has a serious issue with the textures. My god it takes me right out of the mood every time I notice it

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
. People cuss without gravitas, which is a weird thing to praise, but the script genuinely seems to understand how people speak. Characters stutter, mumble, speak too loudly at times, swear casually, and flow from topic to topic extremely fluidly. It is very, very impressive for an in-house Square Enix script.
This is one of the things that has stood out to me playing this game. The dialogue and voice acting are stellar.
Also this game having such a potty mouth is surprising, but understandable given the characters and the circumstances. I just wasn't expecting Square to let their golden child cuss with such impunity.

Opposable

Oct 25, 2017
The post game is really disappointing. I assumed we would be able to do a Zelda/Grand Theft Auto and start from the second you advanced to the point of no return.

The game warned me, but I assumed it was a general 'you're in the final part of the game and can no longer return after this'

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
In chapter 6, there's a purple materia on a platform but I see no way to get it. You can move the catwalk vertically but that doesn't seem to do anything related to the purple materia. Help!

Edit: I'm a dumbass. Thanks!

Last edited:

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
This is one of the things that has stood out to me playing this game. The dialogue and voice acting are stellar.
Also this game having such a potty mouth is surprising, but understandable given the characters and the circumstances. I just wasn't expecting Square to let their golden child cuss with such impunity.
The big thing about it that has impressed me isn't the fact that it has a potty mouth, but the fact that they are using cusses and swears the way normal people do. Normally in games when characters swear, there is always so much overacting and gravitas to it. "Sons of BITCHES!" "I can't believe this SHIT!!" "FUCK it all to HELL!!"

But the way this game handles it? I love it. When Aerith is climbing up the ladder and slips and just says "Shit.", It works. It's such a small thing to hang up on but the delivery is so understated and honest. The voice director(s?) Deserve MAD props for this game.

In chapter 6, there's a purple materia on a platform but I see no way to get it. You can move the catwalk vertically but that doesn't seem to do anything related to the purple materia. Help!
Move the catwalk lower and walk over to grab it right off the beam. It is within reach when the catwalk is at its lowest point.

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
Just hit Wall Market...good lord. Was always my favorite part of Midgar but they went so beyond my expectations here I'm at a loss for words.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Something I've always wondered ever since I played the original is who the heck names their kid Rude?

Last edited:

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
Well near chapter 4 now I think. I dont want to rush this brilliant game and i'm really taking my time with it. :p

Deleted member 179

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finished Airbuster, decided I'd shut down after the opening cutscene of (I think) chapter 8

Weird that Cloud is talking to himself, I think it's supposed to be Zack but it's his fake memories blocking the image, which is kinda neat to see honestly

Man Aerith looks great, and the church looks freaking amaz-

""""""Flashback""""""

.....NOMURA WHAT ARE YOU DOING

I picked the worst time to go to bed

Antoo

May 1, 2019
Chapter 4 is absolutely incredible. I was incredibly skeptical at first after realizing its completely new material and that it started with Roche who was comically over the top. However, the added characterization to the characters, seeing Cloud bond with the group, and more were incredible. I even ended up enjoying Roche because I like how far they pushed the silliness.

My only issue?
I am really worried about this new story element with the shadow creatures. I haven't enjoyed their inclusion at all.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Chapter 4 is absolutely incredible. I was incredibly skeptical at first after realizing its completely new material and that it started with Roche who was comically over the top. However, the added characterization to the characters, seeing Cloud bond with the group, and more were incredible. I even ended up enjoying Roche because I like how far they pushed the silliness.

My only issue?
I am really worried about this new story element with the shadow creatures. I haven't enjoyed their inclusion at all.

I'm in the middle of chapter 8 and all of that is pointing to a inevitable conclusion that I don't like even one bit.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
I can't believe some are coming in here to say the game is ugly. Are you insane? The game is GORGEOUS. I'm ignoring comments like this from now on.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I'm in the middle of chapter 8 and all of that is pointing to a inevitable conclusion that I don't like even one bit.

yeah I don't know what it is but I'm starting to see it. Nomura is a hack lmao

I can't believe some are coming in here to say the game is ugly. Are you insane? The game is GORGEOUS. I'm ignoring comments like this from now on.

It's inconsistent, that's the problem, see the awesome pizza looking in the sky of the slums in Chapter 3 and 4? It appears later but suddenly it looks way lower res and like a PSX background. It has to be a bug but it's so weird.

jblanco

Oct 27, 2017
In my case, expectations were sky high for this game.

And you know what? So far I'm having a damn good time with it. And as others have pointed out.... I'm so happy the game kept its potty mouth. 10/10 so far.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I hate to harp on it but I really don't think the textures are a bug... I think they are an unfortunately necessary visual trade-off. I hope I am wrong, but the further in I get, the more consistently I am seeing the low-res textures, on very consistent types of environmental meshes. The Skybox thing is particularly telling.

I wonder if, when an inevitable PC port comes, it will ship with uncompressed textures. I hope it does -- it's one of the reasons why I am planning on a double dip. Generally, I think FFXV is a decent precedent for visual tricks in this case, and it was an issue there too, and the PC release *somewhat* helped mitigate same of those problems.

Square is really stretching the PS4 to its limit on this game. I wonder if more patches could help optimize it and squeeze out a little more performance?