• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Favorite FF7R character

• Cloud

Votes: 278 18.2%
  • Tifa

Votes: 518 34.0%
  • Barret

Votes: 257 16.9%
  • Aerith

Votes: 471 30.9%

• Total voters

hsojlightfoot

Apr 6, 2020
I can still remember that reunion trailer in 2015? I can't believe I'll be playing this tomorrow or Saturday depending on delivery. Don't know if I'm ready for the feels.

chanman

Nov 9, 2017
Amazon screwed me over bad, I was originally suppose to get this game for $45.02 as I got it discounted last year. I had an old card on there that I forgot to change and when I went in to update my card to a more recent card I kept getting an error. Reached out to customer chat and multiple times they kept telling me to reach out to the bank, I refused because I tried three different cards and they all the same error and I told them no way this could be a bank issue.

Eventually, they looked more into and said it appears there is a technical glitch that caused this issue and I have to cancel the order and reorder the game. The catch is now the game is unavailable and they are trying to get me to take $15 discount on my next order which I am refusing because it won't even match the price I originally got it for. I am kind of bummed about this and it looks like no FF7R for me right now. :(

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Amazon screwed me over bad, I was originally suppose to get this game for $45.02 as I got it discounted last year. I had an old card on there that I forgot to change and when I went in to update my card to a more recent card I kept getting an error. Reached out to customer chat and multiple times they kept telling me to reach out to the bank, I refused because I tried three different cards and they all the same error and I told them no way this could be a bank issue.

Eventually, they looked more into and said it appears there is a technical glitch that caused this issue and I have to cancel the order and reorder the game. The catch is now the game is unavailable and they are trying to get me to take $15 discount on my next order which I am refusing because it won't even match the price I originally got it for. I am kind of bummed about this and it looks like no FF7R for me right now. :(
This (kind of) happened with me too. However I don't care about physical, so the email about my payment really just served to remind me to preorder it digitally so I can play it tonight lol.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Damn was hoping for a patch when I woke up. I'm up to chapter 8 and these textures have not been exaggerated, some are super rough and not hidden in the slightest.
Ah well it doesn't really effect my enjoyment, just a bummer.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
FFVII was the first game I got with my PS1 back in 1998. And in 3 and a half hours I get to sort of relive that. Quite excited.

gogojira

Oct 27, 2017
Guys.

Guys.

92822897_10158355038183184_433417914482163712_o.jpg

It's time.

(... After a long install.)

Sorry if this has been answered, but how many tracks are on the mini soundtrack? Tempted to swap my preorder to digital so I can play it tonight.

DarkJedi78

Oct 25, 2017
OH
I kind of feel bad at the moment. On one hand I really want to play this and the demo was fun although a bit frustrating during the long boss battle. I remember playing ff vii as a teen and really enjoyed it. On the other hand right now I don't seem to have a whole lot of free time to play and with the kids home I don't feel right kicking them off. By the time I can play it will most likely be on sale.

Couscous

Oct 30, 2017
Twente (The Netherlands)
I'm playing this game and it's my first Final Fantasy game. I've been playing for 2 hours and I'm enjoying it, but I have a few problems. The English voice acting for some characters is really bad, especially Barret en Jessie. The dialogue is also really bad most of the time. I don't know if it's supposed to be a partly a comedy or if it's just the writing which sucks.

chanman

Nov 9, 2017
This (kind of) happened with me too. However I don't care about physical, so the email about my payment really just served to remind me to preorder it digitally so I can play it tonight lol.

Yeah fortunately I don't care about physical as well so they were able to at least give me a $20 promo code so I will use it toward a PSN card.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
Never played the Original (or any FF besides 15, yeah I know I'm just not an jrpg guy) and made it to Chapter 3.
Really, really enjoying the game and the setting + Aesthtetic so far. Midgar looks absolutely phenomenal. The Slums with those incredibly large and intricate megastructures spanning the complete horizon is *chefs' kiss.

2 things though, I'm usually not too sensitive when it comes to low rez textures but it's really noticeable here. I think RE3make Carlos was referring to Clouds' Apartment when he said "Now here's a weird fucking door"

Also, did they need to give Tifa such almost comically large breasts? I didn't really follow the pre release discussion or the Fandom but...is this cool? Like, is that really necessary? (And do want to know the Answer to that question?)

Nov 1, 2017
Tokyo
I'm guessing they can't get a day 1 patch out in time due to the pandemic. There's some really blurry textures and one quest NPC that has its animation wrong when talking, and it would be icing on the cake if they could fix those minor things.

Oct 27, 2017
Just hopping in here after playing my first 2h30. I love it. Its really having the vibe of the original. That soundtrack is amazing and combat seems fun so far. Visuals are on point as well
If i had to nitpick:
- i'll miss some of the cool camera angles that was in the original.
- Being able to save any time makes it feel less challenging sometimes.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
So how is the english VA compared to japanese? Anybody tried both?

I usually play with jap VA in most games, since english turns out to be atrocious most of the time.

ScionN7

Oct 26, 2019
Also, did they need to give Tifa such almost comically large breasts? I didn't really follow the pre release discussion or the Fandom but...is this cool? Like, is that really necessary? (And do want to know the Answer to that question?)

Large breasts? Sure. Comically large? I think that's an exaggeration.

Nonagon

Jan 2, 2020
First chapter took me 2:40h lol. I had to marvel at about everything, tried to hit everything, tried backtracking everywhere. Still learning the battle system; it takes me too long to string together a strategy and execute it well.

Feb 16, 2018
Never played the Original (or any FF besides 15, yeah I know I'm just not an jrpg guy) and made it to Chapter 3.
Really, really enjoying the game and the setting + Aesthtetic so far. Midgar looks absolutely phenomenal. The Slums with those incredibly large and intricate megastructures spanning the complete horizon is *chefs' kiss.

2 things though, I'm usually not too sensitive when it comes to low rez textures but it's really noticeable here. I think RE3make Carlos was referring to Clouds' Apartment when he said "Now here's a weird fucking door"

Tifa has always been pretty busty and honestly they are a little more realistic here then how she was portrayed in the original if you can believe it.

Shryke

Oct 26, 2017
Just got my First Class from UPS moments ago. Been playing the original to past the time. Let's dive in! Feels like 1998 all over again.

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Tifa was busty in the original. They've toned them down actually.

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
About 3 hours in, Chapter 3. The game is fantastic and everything I hoped for. Easily the best Final Fantasy game since 12.

Sedef122

Nov 7, 2017
I'm playing this game and it's my first Final Fantasy game. I've been playing for 2 hours and I'm enjoying it, but I have a few problems. The English voice acting for some characters is really bad, especially Barret en Jessie. The dialogue is also really bad most of the time. I don't know if it's supposed to be a partly a comedy or if it's just the writing which sucks.

Are you joking? The acting and dialogue is fantastic. The best ever in a Final Fantasy game

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
How the eff am I supposed to wait three more hours?!

AHSHGFWDGFHASGFHWE

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Played for about two hours last night, and it's... it's incredible. It felt surreal just being in the main menu and listening to that song with that iconic imagery of the Buster Sword stabbing the ground like that. Playing through chapter 1 was just as fun as it was in the demo, though to my surprise I did much better than I ever did in my many playthroughs of the demo. Fighting the Guard Scorpion is easily the best part of it, as always. The feeling of managing my party and quickly switching between them as I use up ATB charges one after another, strategizing which spells and abilities to use, it's all so much fun! Walking around Midgar after that... there's something special about its scale. Like, I don't know if it's the overall aesthetic of the city but it just feels so much larger to walk around in this world than it does in other open world games I've played, games which may have larger buildings (excluding the reactor of course) than I've seen here. I love it.

Sephiroth's first appearance was sick. I love how Cloud gets a flashback about him and then suddenly he's hallucinating him right there! That was incredible. People were hyping up Sephiroth's debut in the game and they were right to. I thought the trailers may have spoiled it already but that very moment where he suddenly showed up was such a surprise. Then playing through the slow hallucination section where your surroundings became a blend of Nibelheim and Midgar... damn. Good Shit™ right there.

Unfortunately I'm not too fond of his voice. He sounded better in the trailers. Still not sure how I feel about the backside of his coat too. Looks kinda weird.

Side note: Very happy to see Enemy Intel is an option in the menu. It's a bit of a shame we can't turn off all the UI stuff though, nor zoom in and out of the models, but hey. This is better than nothing. It's already really cool as is. Although... I do wish it registered weaknesses I exploited. Seems I need to scan them first with a materia ability later on in the game?

JumiElazul

Apr 4, 2020
Oh man, feels like everyone is playing the game but me! I know some of ya'll are waiting on Physical editions to ship though and I feel for you.

I'm just sitting here twiddling my thumbs for the next 3 hours waiting for my digital copy to unlock.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Fuuuuuuck how is this game so fucking good!?!!!!!??!!
This is my favorite battle system in a Square Enix game in what feels like forever!!!

Kass15

Jan 14, 2018
Very skeptical going from turn based to action as I love turn based but the combat is really well done. Just completed the first chapter and part of chapter 2. Game is beautiful and the music is ridiculously good. Very impressed.

Ausroachman

Oct 27, 2017
Having no attachment to the original I don't get all the hype tbh

- slow ass walking sections constantly
- constant interruptions with mini cut scenes
- boring side quests and padding

Thankfully for me its saved by

+ gorgeous visuals (yes there are some really bad low rez sections) but I'm still fairly early in and the start sections especially give a great first impression
+ interesting story and characters
+ excellent combat (if it was pure turn based I would have hated it)

Hopefully the story can pull me through because everything outside of combat is pretty mediocre