• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Favorite FF7R character

• Cloud

Votes: 278 18.2%
  • Tifa

Votes: 518 34.0%
  • Barret

Votes: 257 16.9%
  • Aerith

Votes: 471 30.9%

• Total voters

Bunga

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Im about 9-10 hours in and still really enjoying the game. My only complaint is the combat system sometimes seems way too hectic for me. Its incredibly difficult to see what bosses in particular are about to do because they're usually large and the ability warning is almost impossible to read because it's usually above them (ie off screen) the screen is usually filled with 5000 particle effects anyway.

It would be better too if the rest of the party was more effective when you're not controlling them. They build ATB soooo slow by themselves.

I wish Classic mode wasn't locked to Easy as id probably consider switching if so.

Camisado

Nov 3, 2017
It would be better too if the rest of the party was more effective when you're not controlling them. They build ATB soooo slow by themselves.

This, I actually found myself missing a bit of the old Gambit system last night when certain party members with magic that was a weakness of the enemy refused to use it until I manually told them to every 20 seconds or so.

Kingsora

May 19, 2018
Most are assuming we will get another 30-40 hour game in 2-3+ years time. What if they released an update around holiday 2020/early next year but it only adds about 15 hours? Maybe at $20?

Would that work or would people quickly get fed up and lose interest?
It won't, DLC will sell less as a full new disc game.

Opposable

Oct 25, 2017
I've done ok on all the bosses so far (currently at chapter 9). I've died numerous times to trash mobs though and some of the side missions have been tough. I've got a better feel for the battle system but I find I only bother to be tactical and patient for the boss fights.

Daggoth

Oct 25, 2017
the only difference I can think of is I paid for the 500 Gil massage. Like you, I thought that influenced Cloud's dress (with Tifa's influenced by a chapter 3 choice and Aerith's influenced by how many side quests you do in chapter 8) but maybe it's designed to piss her off so she sends you to Sam while she dresses Aerith.
so after MANY attempts I finally got this to trigger. Hard mode playthrough, did all side quests in chapter 8. Played through easy mode many times, gave up, did hard mode (that boss fight tho) and it's just triggered.

I said Tifa's a great fighter, said "it doesn't matter to me" or similar when asked about Aerith's outfit, and paid 100 gil.

Failing that, it's RNG. Unfortunately I don't have an immediate save point to test that.

Datrael

Oct 25, 2017
Hope it works!

also if you find music disc #26 please let me know. I can't find it anywhere and it's frustrating the hell out of me.
I have it.

I don't know where I got it though lol.

I'm missing number 5.

EDIT: I lied, I have 5, I'm also missing 26. Chapter select tells me it is in
wall market.

Last edited:

SuperMario

Oct 28, 2017
Just finished Mako reactor 5 and
My god, was Airbuster a good boss fight. The way the music escalated when the fight was about to begin gave me CHILLS, and they've managed to recreate the party split in such a fun way. Also, when Cloud is unconscious and he "sees" himself, that's definitely Zack, right? I assume it's because he doesn't remember him yet, but the words spoken were totally Zack's.

I'm having a much better time with the game that I expected, and that's saying something.

The Emperor

Oct 25, 2017
Just what a game

18 hours in.

Definitely feel like I would have wanted some better vignettes per dungeon...but still pretty much a 10/10 game for me atm

The battle system is just unbelievably good. I really feel like this should be the new standard FF battle system for the next few games.

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land
This, I actually found myself missing a bit of the old Gambit system last night when certain party members with magic that was a weakness of the enemy refused to use it until I manually told them to every 20 seconds or so.
yeah this was one of my complaints with the system. i'm pretty certain all they do is attack, right? they won't use magic or items by themselves which sucks.

Lafiel

Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Im about 9-10 hours in and still really enjoying the game. My only complaint is the combat system sometimes seems way too hectic for me. Its incredibly difficult to see what bosses in particular are about to do because they're usually large and the ability warning is almost impossible to read because it's usually above them (ie off screen) the screen is usually filled with 5000 particle effects anyway.

I wish Classic mode wasn't locked to Easy as id probably consider switching if so.

I think the combat of the game is suppose to be reliant on switching characters constantly to build ATB.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands

yeah I feel similar about that. I did change the camera distance in options, that helped a bit.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
yeah this was one of my complaints with the system. i'm pretty certain all they do is attack, right? they won't use magic or items by themselves which sucks.

I complained about AI being useless on their own a few days ago and people just said it's designed that way so you have to constantly switch. Really you can't control all of them constantly and they're almost doing nothing when you leave them to their own devices. No what I call particularly satisfying.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
For those that are going to go for the platinum, when are you doing your hard run? I'm conflicted, I'm enjoying it so much that I might just go straight into it, or I might see if it gets some PS5 enhancements.

I complained about AI being useless on their own a few days ago and people just said it's designed that way so you have to constantly switch. Really you can't control all of them constantly and they're almost doing nothing when you leave them to their own devices. No what I call particularly satisfying.

Yeah, it's intentional for sure. I switch almost constantly during boss fights and I like doing it. Normal fights, I stick to whoever's most effective (or Tifa just because she's so fun).

Datrael

Oct 25, 2017
No.
I said tails the first time, paid for a 3000 Gil massage and I got Madam M's quests. Second time I said heads and paid for a 500 Gil massage. I think if you pay 1000 or 3000 she gives you requests but if you pay 500 you get Sam's quests.
Tried this. Still getting
Madam M's quests
:(

Camisado

Nov 3, 2017

There are a few bits of materia I've found that can help out with this a little bit, I can't remember the names of the top of my head, but one that makes an ally cure you if you go low HP for example, but where I'm at I still don't really have enough Materia slots to justify using it for something like that.

Bunga

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I think the combat of the game is suppose to be reliant on switching characters constantly to build ATB.

Yeah I've been trying and it does work better for me in the smaller scale fights I think. Maybe I'm just panicking when it comes to the boss fights?I've always been a long range class kinda guy in games so it's hard being so up close all the time. Maybe I should have Barret as my combat leader and switch to the others every so often but it feels weird not "maining" Cloud like the original.

I mean I'm still doing okay, I've died once so far in 10 hours and that was due to getting greedy in one of the less hectic boss fights lol.

RedShift_

Jul 24, 2018
Just got mine in the mail! Put in the install disk and... estimated 3 hours of install? Is this supposed to take this long?

Looking at the speed it's going approx. at 5-6 megabytes/second

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land

yeah i'm in the same boat. i think a gambit system would be too much but it'd be good if there were general orders to use, like 'go all out!' or 'cure me when damaged' or something.

There are a few bits of materia I've found that can help out with this a little bit, I can't remember the names of the top of my head, but one that makes an ally cure you if you go low HP for example, but where I'm at I still don't really have enough Materia slots to justify using it for something like that.

yeah there are two that i've found:
synergy fires off a connected spell when your controlled character casts something (i think, never used it) and the the cure one you mentioned

Mar 19, 2020
17 hours in and by the looks of it. Still a long way to go to completion! I haven't felt this enamoured with a game since RE2 last year.

Tiamant

Oct 28, 2017
Maybe a weird question, maybe a thing people have already asked a ton, and apologies if so...

I want to play at least the relevant Midgar part of the original before playing this as I've never played FF7 before, and I obviously put that off forever and now have only about a week to do that. I am generally spoiled for the obvious huge twists, but not spoiled for specifics and have not seen spoilers for the remake beyond knowing that they can exist. Along those lines, I really would like to not be spoiled for Remake if possible. But now I have a question about how to approach playing the original compared to this...

Well, originally I was just going to ask about the best stopping point for the original for now - I think I was told to leave the city and go to the next one (Kalm?) for some backstory, but I want to be sure.

But given that spoilers do exist for this game vs the original now: do I need to play more of it than just the start to really benefit, assuming it's playing off what you know from the original? If so, does that mean the whole game, or is there some other stopping point I should try to reach?

I do know these vague, bigger spoilers for the original buried deep in my brain - some stuff about Cloud's backstory and Zach, the obvious death, etc. - that I'm sure just playing the game will reawaken from when I read about them many many years ago. So maybe that's enough? But if there's cool stuff you'll pick up on from knowing, I may be tempted to play more if I can. Or at least, more likely, get back to finishing the original while Remake is still fresh in my mind...

I'd say Kalm is the logical point to stop. However, if you want to get most of the things (mostly flashbacks) and new references you should go up to Nibelheim.

Knightsoftheround

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 7, 2020
Great reviews. I was worried I was looking at the game through major nostalgia glasses. Seems it's as good as I think it is.

Datrael

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe it's random then? :( how annoying, especially considering the bullshit you have to get through to get to that point.
I don't know. I don't really feel compelled to replay this right now, maybe I'll wait to see if there's a day 1 patch and for some guides or something for the things I missed.

Platinum trophy seems tedious as F for this.

Cjdamon042

Oct 28, 2017
Edinburgh
Have we any word on whether there will be a day one patch? I started this on Saturday, and I'm about 17 hours in at Don's place and I'm absolutely loving it, but some of the technical issues regarding low res textures and LODs are starting to hinder it a bit. Not that there's any guarantee that a patch would even solve this, but you never know. Either way, excited to get back to it after work today!

Zeel

Oct 27, 2017
Did anyone else get alot of shit spoiled by the newest trailer from today?
Who the hell thought that trailer was a good idea?

Deleted member 1726

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
reading the reviews really make me want to pick it up, but I think im just gonna replay 7 on game pass until its cheaper and hopefully we get more info on a likely time scale for the next game/when it will be completed,

FLCL

Oct 27, 2017
Finished the game, think I was at 35h or so.
I loved it. And I also loved the ending.

Time to try out hard mode, I saved most side content for that to have some fresh stuff to look forward to.

FLCL

Oct 27, 2017
Wait you cant start a completely new game on hard mode? I can only select it with my finished save through chapter select but that keeps all my gear, lvls and materia. I wanna start fresh :(

Brohan

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Netherlands
So i just finished the big battle in chapter 4 but i have got a question about it.

It was a non stop battle with shinra soldiers and mechs ending with a confrontation with Roche however after having finished it I noticed how big that area actually was when I checked the map. So my question is: Were there any items to find there during the non stop fighting? If so i might just reload an earlier save.

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
So i just finished the big battle in chapter 4 but i have got a question about it.

It was a non stop battle with shinra soldiers and mechs ending with a confrontation with Roche however after having finished it I noticed how big that area actually was when I checked the map. So my question is: Were there any items to find there during the non stop fighting? If so i might just reload an earlier save.

I'm pretty sure you can't pick up items in battle at all anyway. Once the sword is out you can't interact with chests, switches, etc. So all there is is boxes around the arena you can smash that might have moogle medals or healing items in (but they're plentiful elsewhere)

Ravage

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I'm not a fan of Souls games but I'm excited about what I'm hearing about the Hard Mode. So glad it's not a mere change of number values.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Wait you cant start a completely new game on hard mode? I can only select it with my finished save through chapter select but that keeps all my gear, lvls and materia. I wanna start fresh :(
I believe hard mode would be impossible with a fresh character. It's most like a post-game fully powered up difficulty

(At least I think)

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
Really NOT a fan of the new theme they gave the wall market. It just didn't fit the vibe at all.