• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Favorite FF7R character

• Cloud

Votes: 278 18.2%
  • Tifa

Votes: 518 34.0%
  • Barret

Votes: 257 16.9%
  • Aerith

Votes: 471 30.9%

• Total voters

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I'm going to be playing with Japanese Voice acting - how is it? I doubt I'll get it from Amazon in time but it's of no concern with everything going on with the pandemic.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
I agree but at the same time the boss in the demo was pretty engaging on normal. So I'm hoping the game has a level of challenge throughout without needing a hard mode. I don't need a super hard game but at least make me have to engage with the systems.

From what I understand bosses are still somewhat challenging even if do all sidequest

Oct 26, 2017
I've almost 25 hours with the game (basically playing non-stop since I got it, minus a few minutes for shower + food as well as 2 hours of sleep lol) and I am personally loving it so far.

There are a few, tiny things that aren't perfect (textures seems to be fucked up in some cases e.g.) but overall… I was shaking the whole time. But to be fair: I like cheesy, very "Japanese" games. I can see people disliking it for being very "Anime" – be it the voice-acting, certain tropes and of course the gesture & facial expressions-

So far I like the most the characterization! There are a lot of good scenes between the main cast and I fell in love with characters I didn't even care that much for… for example Aerith… don't get me wrong: She has an important role and all but her stereotype usually does not click well with me but the Remake made me really like her a lot – especially in combination with Tifa: Girl Power!
She is even fun to play, which I did not anticipate because I am usually more of a "berserker" which isn't a good play-style for her weapon abilities etc.

What really annoys me is the fact that you have to press and hold the triangle-button even if it makes no sense? It was like that in the demo already but it's also in full game… and a lot on top of that.

Sometimes I also think the side-quest from a certain recurring characters are a bit strangely explained… it took me a while to understand what he wanted from me with his first "batch" of orders.

Cloud is adorable… I love him very much. And Barret is a very fun combo with Cloud, especially when the scene also includes Marlene (or Barrets feelings for Marlene)…

Gameplay is fun as hell, I grinded too much, tho… so some things have to wait until I play hard mode (it's basically impossible [for now] to learn enemy abilities because they usually die the second I join the battle lol…)…

Ehrm… I've a lot to say but I honestly want to continue playing!

Great OT!

Appreciate the detailed impressions!

Replaying the original in the mean time, I'll definitely double dip if I can get an early copy lol.

Deleted member 41651

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
grum vibes are the best vibes. If grum was the main character id be fucking thrilled.
tumblr_m8fhf96fST1qkklh2o1_400.gifv

tumblr_mdjoecPlfV1rjhnbco1_400.gif
a sidequest that rewards maaaize

jman0625

One Winged Slayer
Dec 18, 2017
Real talk, should I cancel my Deluxe edition from Amazon and get it digitally? I had 10$ credit in my sony rewards account, but got the deluxe for 66 on sale

Wong Kar Why

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Real talk, should I cancel my Deluxe edition from Amazon and get it digitally? I had 10$ credit in my sony rewards account, but got the deluxe for 66 on sale
i'd probably wait unless you've already gotten an email confirmation about a delay. i've yet to hear back from amazon about my deluxe copy.

ultima786

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Length

someone in the spoiler thread claims the game was complete in over 50 hours for him with all quests done.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Still chapter 3, told Tifa to get something exotic to dress for later.

Jesus this sexual tension to the absolute max between them. If that was Squares intention, then they are masters at their job. Probably unintentional but my God is the tension close to explode in every scene between them.

giphy.gif

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017

Jesus this sexual tension to the absolute max between them. If that was Squares intention, then they are masters at their job. Probably unintentional but my God is the tension close to explode in every scene between them.

giphy.gif
SE are masters of sexual tension in general straight up, when they wan't you to ship they force it HARD

Occult Fan

Oct 31, 2017
I'm happy to hear positive impressions - the fear seems to be evaporating (outside of getting our hands on a damn copy ASAP!).

OP
OP
Eleriu

Eleriu

The Fallen - Teyvat Traveler
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Nice to see all the positive impressions. Very patiently waiting for my copy to ship out...

Meanwhile for some added fun, the main OP banner went through a few different iterations. So, here's the rejected images I did for it:
TQCzyQN.png

This one almost made the cut actually.

h286iGd.png

rhz3pZ2.png

Classic logo just to see how it would look.

Abylim

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
Game has been fantastic so far, and I say that as someone pretty skeptical of the remake. Chapter 4 now after about 5 hours. I'm pretty impressed.

illmatic22

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Super Bowl LII Champions

giphy.gif
Aw yiss Praise Nojima

Can't wait for that under the highwind scene in a couple of years 🔥

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
And in the beginning of chapter 4, we're a full on "Japanese Videogame" and it checks all the crazy cutscene boxes. God was that good, and fun.

And it seems after chapter 3 they deducted the trainees from the texture work and made it by themselves again. There is no other explanation for this massive night and day difference. I wish I could post screenshots in the console screenshot thread already. So beautiful.

ultima786

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
And in the beginning of chapter 4, we're a full on "Japanese Videogame" and it checks all the crazy cutscene boxes. God was that good, and fun.

And it seems after chapter 3 they deducted the trainees from the texture work and made it by themselves again. There is no other explanation for this massive night and day difference. I wish I could post screenshots in the console screenshot thread already. So beautiful.
I don't get the texture comment. Are you saying ch. 3 textures were bad, but after that they were good again?

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
I don't get the texture comment. Are you saying ch. 3 textures were bad, but after that they were good again?

Yeah. In the slums Tifa's bar has very slow loading textures, UE3 at his finest and Tifa's and Cloud's hotel rooms have very low res floors, bath corners and both doors have permanent missing textures. They are just blurry rectangles.
But that is known already.

A lot of other interior in this area are also pretty low-res and the sand stone surrounding on daylight is just ok.

But after that it's spectacular again.

ultima786

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah. In the slums Tifa's bar has very slow loading textures, UE3 at his finest and Tifa's and Cloud's hotel rooms have very low res floors, bath corners and both doors have permanent missing textures. They are just blurry rectangles.

A lot of other interior in this area are also pretty low-res and the sand stone surrounding on daylight is just ok.

I am going to consider installing my SSD into my ps4, perhaps that might help speed up texture loading.

Oct 25, 2017

I thought this was made in UE4?

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim

giphy.gif
Alright, I'm outta here for good this time 'cause I'm getting jelly.

aspiring

Oct 25, 2017

not wrong haha. Though that scene in particular felt odd. Like the close ups the way she danced in front of camera, it felt like I was playing summer lesson. I think they wanted more than just clouds sexual tension.

Pat_DC

Oct 27, 2017
For me chapter 01 didn't give me the best impression of the game. I had played the demo but not finished it.
Don't get me wrong visually it was amazing, seeing environments I knew so well become fully fleshed out gave me kick.
Especially as I had recently replayed 7 on switch and made me realise how much my imagination had filled in. The art direction has been fantastic so far.

But the chaos of combat (I love me some turn based combat), the linear nature of environments, forced slow walk through stuff and missing menus/systems had me worried.

After playing just a little bit more (and I might be wrong later) but I am definitely liking what I am seeing. I am understanding the combat more, the menu has opened up and I am actually doing a bit of light exploring.

I'm also enjoying the characterisation, even if it is done in the most Japanese video game way possible. Still cool to see some of these little mush of polygons become full on characters. Will most likely play through with Japanese VO, to see if it helps set the tone ;)
How have people found the Japanese VO? Good, bad?

Looking forward to seeing how Tifa is handled and if Barret becomes less one-note once Marlene is intro'd. As I said I am very early on.

Minamu

Nov 18, 2017
Sweden
Any chance of the summon dlcs being released as standalone purchases or free dlc down the road? Doesn't feel worthwhile to buy the overly expensive digital version for them tbh. But I still want them lol

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
So whats the general impressions of the game so far??

Chapter 4 man, chapter 4 from start to finish, if this game doesn't get you until this point or with this chapter, then the whole game isn't for you.

I might already consider it the best Final Fantasy in 20 years with this chapter. I'm so, so into it. It makes me speechless.
The action, the insane presentation, the crazy f'n cutscenes which all scream "Japanese Videogame" and which gives me fantastic flashbacks of games from decades ago. The acting, the atmosphere in the group and the charisma of the characters. It sucked me right in, it is their best work in decades.
Besides some small technical fluctuations (which could be resolved by the day one patch), it's an absolute masterpiece.

And the music, my God the music, so, so many songs, I can't already count anymore how many different tracks the game gave me already in battles and action scenes. It's ridiculous.

The demo never really hooked me, but the full game sucked me so hard in, I feel like a child again.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
Chapter 4 man, chapter 4 from start to finish, if this game doesn't get you until this point or with this chapter, then the whole game isn't for you.

I might already consider it the best Final Fantasy in 20 years with this chapter. I'm so, so into it. It makes me speechless.
The action, the insane presentation, the crazy f'n cutscenes which all scream "Japanese Videogame" and which gives me fantastic flashbacks of games from decades ago. The acting, the atmosphere in the group and the charisma of the characters. It sucked me right in, it is their best work in decades.
Besides some small technical fluctuations (which could be resolved by the day one patch), it's an absolute masterpiece.

And the music, my God the music, so, so many songs, I can't already count anymore how many different tracks the game gave me already in battles and action scenes. It's ridiculous.

The demo never really hooked me, but the full game sucked me so hard in, I feel like a child again.

That sounds amazing. And I'm glad a lot of fans of original get to have this feeling of nostalgia

Sadly this is my first time ever touchung it or a FF game in general but I've played several JRPGs this gen that I've really enjoyed so I'm definitely look forward to it. I might even replay the original after the Remake to see what changes were made. But definitely looking forward to this game

Glassboy

Oct 27, 2017

Hell yeah! Keep them impressions coming!

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
If this game is a success.. we bout to be hype mode for the next decade waiting for the next parts...

What a time (not now tho obviously).

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

*Reads review*
*shakes PS4*
LET ME IN!

Good to hear. Now I hope FF 16 can follow suit.

Oct 25, 2017
My crown jewel. Cannot believe this is really, finally happening. In our time of need too. T_T

I asked this in one of the other threads, but any word on if this will feature any PSVR side-content?

ultima786

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Were you in the hype camp, and this lived up to it? Or were you in the skeptical camp and it turned you into a believer?

stryke

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like I'm going to be playing with Japanese Voice acting - how is it? I doubt I'll get it from Amazon in time but it's of no concern with everything going on with the pandemic.

The only downside so far (if you don't understand the language) with Japanese VA is with listening to NPC conversations as you walk by. I'm still early in the game but if there's a mission/sidequest/lore/etc that requires you to eavesdrop on convos, you're constantly having to look at the subtitles on the left side of the screen.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
The only downside so far (if you don't understand the language) with Japanese VA is with listening to NPC conversations as you walk by. I'm still early in the game but if there's a mission/sidequest/lore/etc that requires you to eavesdrop on convos, you're constantly having to look at the subtitles on the left side of the screen.

Is there alot of dialogue during combat? I had to switch Nier Automata to english because of this, FFXV was ok though.

Deleted member 1062

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
anyone preordered the digital deluxe edition on PSN and don't even have a preload date when you view it?

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Awesome OT! I went digital so I have to wait until the 10th to be able to play it. Good thing I still have some other games and the Resident Evil 3 remake until then.

Man, I still can't believe that it's finally out (or coming out). I already shed some tears when playing the demo, it was so emotional. This game means so much to me and I still fondly remember playing it when it originally came out.