• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SmokedSalmon

Apr 1, 2019
Holy moly, it just looks so good.

I wish my base ps4 would be able to have that kind of image quality. I wonder what the performance of this game will be like. Excited either way though.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
It's been a loooong time since I played FF7. Who am I looking at here?

008.jpg

New character, John McCannonFodder.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
Yeah, that's a dumb choice too. The ambiguity of Sephiroth was a good thing in the original game, having him dick around for the entire prologue as an active force just seems like them acknowledging that nothing actually important to the main story happens in Midgar aside from leaving it, so they have to shove Seph in early
Loved how they set him up in the OG it was legit scary. I've already accepted the fact from the first keyart we got that he will be present quite a bit in this. It's a shame but what can you do.

FrostweaveBandage

Unshakable Resolve
Sep 27, 2019
I'm beginning to think we might actually get the Kalm flashback in part 1 sometime in Midgar.

While it's possible, I think they would blow an opportunity for an incredible opening to part 2. I think actually if the Sephy scene above is in part 1, it's more likely to be a brief flashback or dream Cloud is having.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
Wow it's eerie how much it looks like the prerendered backgrounds, or at least how I remember it.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, that's a dumb choice too. The ambiguity of Sephiroth was a good thing in the original game, having him dick around for the entire prologue as an active force just seems like them acknowledging that nothing actually important to the main story happens in Midgar aside from leaving it, so they have to shove Seph in early.

I would rather wait and get the whole game than pay $60 four times over a decade to experience a story I'm already familiar with.

Everybody knows about Sephiroth. Trying to do the same thing and hiding him in this remake would be a fuckin stupid idea. That's why they are showing him.

Gibson

Oct 29, 2017
While it's possible, I think they would blow an opportunity for an incredible opening to part 2. I think actually if the Sephy scene above is in part 1, it's more likely to be a brief flashback or dream Cloud is having.
Agreed. These Sephiroth shots will just be ghosts or visions that Cloud is suffering with.
The real flashback sequence will be in the second game.

Gibson

Oct 29, 2017
The Sephiroth in the Shinra HQ is a manifestation of Jenova - I reckon that will lead to a Jenova boss battle.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I'm still sticking to my claim that we won't get every town from the original game fully explorable but so far so good
When you think about it, FF7 didn't have a ton of towns.

Midgar
Kalm
Fort Condor
Junon
Costa Del Sol
Corel
Gold Saucer
Cosmo Canyon
Gongaga
Nibelheim
Rocket Town
Wutai
Bone Village
Icicile Inn
Mideel

That's really it. Granted, I don't expect them all to be fully explorable, but I'm betting they'll all be there and somewhat accessible. Out of those, only Midgar, Junon, and Wutai are the only really big ones.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
If you are a newcomer I envy you. Prepare yourself for one hell of a ride and a bunch of crazy twists. To me, VII has always been the ultimate Final Fantasy.
I hope it's as good as everyone says it is & that it's not just rose tinted glasses. I did buy the remastered version of Final Fantasy VII but am purposely avoiding playing for the remake instead. I just hope there's more to it other than that one big reveal that's been spoiled time & time again.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017

Kalm
Fort Condor
Junon
Costa Del Sol
Corel
Gold Saucer
Cosmo Canyon
Gongaga
Nibelheim
Rocket Town
Wutai
Bone Village
Icicile Inn
Mideel

That's really it. Granted, I don't expect them all to be fully explorable, but I'm betting they'll all be there and somewhat accessible.

The thought of a properly done Icicle Inn remake does things to me

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Everybody knows about Sephiroth. Trying to do the same thing and hiding him in this remake would be a fuckin stupid idea. That's why they are showing him.

This. It worked in the original because we didn't know who he was.

Now is he an iconic gaming character that even people that havn't played the game know how he looks like. They can still create that eerie atmosphere without hiding him.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I hope it's as good as everyone says it is & that it's not just rose tinted glasses. I did buy the remastered version of Final Fantasy VII but am purposely avoiding playing for the remake instead.

I think at the end both will be different enough that one will not replace the other. Remake is certainly taking some liberties it seems.

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope it's as good as everyone says it is & that it's not just rose tinted glasses. I did buy the remastered version of Final Fantasy VII but am purposely avoiding playing for the remake instead. I just hope there's more to it other than that one big reveal that's been spoiled time & time again.
Why not go through the remastered version first? It gives you a good idea about the story and characters, plus it's still a fun game. It also has those speed up/instawin cheats if you're inclined to get through the game quicker.

Gibson

Oct 29, 2017

Midgar
Kalm
Fort Condor
Junon
Costa Del Sol
Corel
Gold Saucer
Cosmo Canyon
Gongaga
Nibelheim
Rocket Town
Wutai
Bone Village
Icicile Inn
Mideel

That's really it. Granted, I don't expect them all to be fully explorable, but I'm betting they'll all be there and somewhat accessible. Out of those, only Midgar, Junon, and Wutai are the only really big ones.
I think they'll be fully explorable, with extra areas to explore.
I wonder if they'll also put in Banora and other areas from the compilation.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

It's not about hiding him, it's that the party should not be encountering him until later in the story. The dude's a legend in-universe, having him traipsing around in public taunting Cloud completely ruins the plot progression of the early game.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
It's not about hiding him, it's that the party should not be encountering him until later in the story. The dude's a legend in-universe, having him traipsing around in public taunting Cloud completely ruins the plot progression of the early game.

I don't think the party is encountering him, only Cloud? Remember the voices Cloud heards sometimes during the game, even in the first 10 minutes of the game? I think that will be Seph here.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the party is encountering him, only Cloud? Remember the voices Cloud heards sometimes during the game, even in the first 10 minutes of the game? I think that will be Seph here.

Showing a screenshot of him in President Shinra's office makes it pretty clear they're going to show him murder President S instead of having it happen off-screen.

Also, weren't those voices ZACK specifically?

Niks

Oct 25, 2017
It's really incredible how much square is nailing this remake. Absolutely gorgeous.

The PS5 version is going to look nuts.

Giever

Oct 25, 2017
I love that Sephiroth is basically willfully manifesting all of the little details of that outfit via controlling Jenova's shapeshifting from a distance.

He's such an edgelord, lol.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Why do you think the party has to see it? Can't a cutscene show the player something the characters aren't privy to?

It still defeats the purpose of that scene. The striking shot of President Shinra with a giant sword in his back was enough. Having Sephiroth himself come out to tease Cloud and the player about how IT IS I WHO MURDERED HIM, TAKE THAT, CLOUD is just...deflating.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Showing a screenshot of him in President Shinra's office makes it pretty clear they're going to show him murder President S instead of having it happen off-screen.

Also, weren't those voices ZACK specifically?

I checked because I couldn't remember and supposedly the Ultimania says it's
inner young Cloud
so nvm.

FrostweaveBandage

Unshakable Resolve
Sep 27, 2019

If the scene here is where I think it is, it will be the first time the party itself has to talk about Sephiroth. And it's right before the end of the Midgar sequence.

I don't think it'd be apropos to have him show up here. It's certainly a narrative change to see him, but I think in the context of the larger gaming community knowing who this guy is, it seems like more of a waste to have an entire FFVII game where Sephiroth never appears. I think when they made the choice to expand Midgar, they also made a decision to insert him directly into the narrative.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Im actually tearing up a bit at the tifa picture, i can't believe its finally, truly, happening. Ff7 was a land mark game in life, it pushed me through a rough spot recently where i was floundering in college and somewhat directionless.