• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

To celebrate International #TranslationDay we caught up with some of the wonderful team who brought #FinalFantasy VII Remake to us in English, French, and German. The team discusses the challenges in localizing a remake, timing the script to cutscenes, and more! #FF7R

addik

Oct 28, 2017
As someone who used to translate soap operas to English, this kind of content speaks volumes to me lol

Thanks for sharing!

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
I liked that they didn't decide against the use of profanity in the localization effort. Real people use curse words in conversation, and it made the dialogue feel more natural.

OP
OP
DiipuSurotu

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love that picture of Aerith.
gYPfikq.gif

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Great stuff in here. The first part stood out to me:
● Were there any unique challenges that arose due to this title being a remake?

Ben Sabin (English Translator):
Balancing fan expectations regarding the original translation with the fact that localization standards have evolved since the original, and certain aspects of the game have changed in this iteration anyway. Also, as each and every fan has their own ideal version of the translation, we had to come to grips with the fact that it would be impossible to please everyone, no matter what we did.

Laurent Sautière (French Translator):
It was a bit daunting, because FFVII has an extensive universe and is such a beloved game that we knew the expectations were very high. You have to try and find a good balance between staying true to the original and making some necessary changes.

Diana Kawamata (German Translator):
As this is a remake of a beloved title, we wanted to keep the essence of what players loved about the game, while also ensuring that our localization meets today's standards. This includes adjusting to how industry needs have changed over time—such as the inclusion of voice-over in multiple languages.

I feel like they could have done a whole longform interview about this single question. This is a really excellent answer from all three translators to a deceptively heavy question.

The original translation for FF7 is absolutely abysmal. As somebody who only just played the game for the first time this month and never played text-heavy video games like this in their own time, it was truly shocking how bad the English was. Frequently it was incomprehensible, just as often the text was understandable at face value but the content of the scene was not, and it shocked me that games were ever released in this kind of condition. I understand this is probably a silly revelation to have about JRPGs, whose early history of translation hack jobs is well documented, but this was the first time I ever experienced it for myself. It was the hardest I ever had to work for a good story.

And yet, throughout the game, there are small flashes of excellence. It's hard to say what makes these scenes standout so much in my mind. But certain moments — like Barret lamenting his history of violence and unclean hands, Tifa telling Cloud that Aerith never intended to be a sacrifice and her death was not noble, Cloud admitting that nobody lives in poverty by choice — are perfect. These conversations are so good and so impactful that I imagine if I played this game and heard such dialog in 1998 I would forget every other problem the script had. In 2020 it's not as easy to forget, but I can still see where the game manages to shine.

This comes to the fact that certain scenes are always going to stick differently to different people. The dialog I mentioned above were my own favorites, but somebody else might have other random favorites completely different from mine. It stands to reason that with a game like FF7, every scene might be somebody's favorite scene. Knowing that and still taking on such a Herculean effort to adapt this script again in 2020 is brave.

It is the right mindset to have to know you cannot please everybody in this scenario. You cannot possibly represent what is most important to every single player. The original English text is an absolute failure, something that should have never been acceptable for release, but it's also one of the most important scripts in gaming. You must make changes. You must adjust how people speak, what they say, and why. Trying to do best by the story instead of fan expectations is the right thing to do.

Edit: Probably my favorite line from the entire original game, where Cloud says nobody lives in the slums because they want to, is not present or adapted in the remake. This bummed me out because that scene meant a lot to me in its original form. But like I said above, you can't please everybody. I accept that adaptations must change.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Aerith looks like she's about to proclaim the need to seize the means of production.

ConVito

Oct 16, 2018
Fun little interview. I will always respect the team that came up with "Nailed it, I know, thank you, moving on."

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
y2fi7RL5

"The insatiable drive for unending profits by the bourgeoisie through a system of exploitation and reduction of the proletariat has irreversibly poisoned society and has uppended the individuals' relationship with each other and with nature. The root cause of the ills plaguing everyone and everything lies not in inefficient or misguided policies or lack thereof, but in the very system itself.

We need to seize the means of production, Cloud."

Yappa

Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg/Germany
Any spoilers? My impression is that translations other than the english one are usually more literal takes nowadays, but I doubt that they talked about that.

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
I'm currently playing the remake and loving the localisation. Lots of replies in that twitter thread really don't understand what localisation involves, apparently. "It's not exact translations of the Japanese script!" Yikes.