• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
Getting the platinium in this game is the most boring and obnoxious shit, damn.
I already had to do this fucking chap 9 so many times for the dress, now I'm only missing a few manuscripts from hard mode, and of course for Cloud's I have to do chap 9 two more times because I need Sam AND Madame M route for each quest...
This chapter i so damn slown and boring because of the tunnel part, I can't wait to be done with it and never go back to that chapter ever again.
With their stupid save system, I can't even save after the tunnel and start again from there after one route, no I have to do that damn tunnel agin. God I hate it.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
I already had to do this fucking chap 9 so many times for the dress, now I'm only missing a few manuscripts from hard mode, and of course for Cloud's I have to do chap 9 two more times because I need Sam AND Madame M route for each quest...
This chapter i so damn slown and boring because of the tunnel part, I can't wait to be done with it and never go back to that chapter ever again.
With their stupid save system, I can't even save after the tunnel and start again from there after one route, no I have to do that damn tunnel agin. God I hate it.
Yeah the chapter 9 clean up stuff is a pain and they should have added a tunnel skip button in Intergrade like the skip they had since launch for the bike minigame.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I also hope that the sequel has a better structured postgame - at the very least, being able to pick spots within chapters to start at or simply doing away with multi-chapter progression quests like the dresses.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
I personally think having chapters could bite them in the ass for the more open part of the game unless they have a system where you can backtrack no matter what chapter you're in like most of the OG.

It certainly caused some issues in XV like weird ass zoning off during chapters.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
Yeah the dress trophy is the worst trophy in the game. Nothing good to say about it, except on the scale of "worst trophy" it's nothing compared to Yakuza, RDR2, etc. The only redeeming quality is forcing you to fight Hell House multiple time, the best fight in the game.

Best approach is choose exotic/sporty for Tifa in the first run, do all quests in chapter 8, then one set of quest in chapter 9. Second (hard) run : other exotic/sporty based on your choices, do all quests in chapter 8 for manuscripts and immediately redo for 0/3 quests, other set of quest in chapter 9. Then you do 0 quest chapter 2, 0/3 chapter 8 (opposite of second run) and 0 quest chapter 9. Use Magnify + Fire, MP absorb + Fire to blow everything out of the chapter (on hard mode run) in the tunnel to go faster.

Last edited:

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah the chapter 9 clean up stuff is a pain and they should have added a tunnel skip button in Intergrade like the skip they had since launch for the bike minigame.
Yeah it's not even that hard, like having some sub chapter inside the more tedious one, especially the ones where you have to go back a lot for the sidequests and optionel stuff. Damn it I'm not even done with that damn tunnel right now, takes such a long time.

Yeah the dress trophy is the worst trophy in the game. Nothing good to say about it, except on the scale of "worst trophy" it's nothing compared to Yakuza, RDR2, etc. The only redeeming quality is forcing you to fight Hell House multiple time, the best fight in the game.
It's a great fight, too bad there is all this tedious shit to do again justto get to it.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
Chadley is available in chapters 3, 8, 9, 13, 14, 16, and 17. You can do any of them at any point in those chapters once they become available with the exception of the non-Chadley combat sim in 16 and Hard Mode combat sim which can only be done in chapter 17 on Hard.

edit: there are points of no return that cut you off from those in chapter 16 and 17 though so I would do them immediately.
Hard mode combat sims are actually available on any difficulty level since VR battles have their own difficulty selection
Finally got to chapter 17 last night, can confirm that hard modes are not available in any simulator and Chadley's chapter 17 simulator is a locked door on your initial normal mode run. You need to have beaten the game once and unlocked hard mode and chapter select. You can go chapter select into normal mode and then do hard mode simulator, net effect is a bit faster killing the unknown entities.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
Finaly got the platinium, clocking at 110 hours when it should have taken around 10 hours less , but fuck it I really wanted the platinium for this game :)
However Intermission platinium will be in a while, I have to put this game down for a bit, been playing only that since the ps5 version came out, did intermission in normal, my full ng+ of hard, and then so much chapter select to get everything. Almost burned me on the game lol

Gotchaforce

Oct 31, 2017
I didn't do all side quests first go on normal but did most. I'm on CH18 on hard and decided to finish up trophies. But when I jump around chapters on all difficulties it shows my side quests aren't done. Will I have to play the whole game again to get this trophy?

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't do all side quests first go on normal but did most. I'm on CH18 on hard and decided to finish up trophies. But when I jump around chapters on all difficulties it shows my side quests aren't done. Will I have to play the whole game again to get this trophy?
There's a menu that shows your completion of certain things I think under System. You only have to complete the chapter with the sidequests to have it count.

snipe_25

Oct 27, 2017
The lack of checkpoints in the final section of the game is awful. I keep getting stomped by Whisper Bahamut and I don't want to replay 20 min every time.

Last edited:

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
I can't say I noticed it much on my first playthrough, but I'm in chapter 8 doing all the sidequests and got the synergy materia from Chadley. The description sounded too good to be true, using a spell or ability by your active character will make an inactive character with linked materia/synergy use that spell for free - no ATB or MP consumed.

But it is true. And it wrecks shit. Aerith has been casting free blizzards every time Cloud uses any attack skill, I quickly switched her element to thunder for the fight against the big oil pipe mini boss for the angel of the slums quest and the guy just went down. Manage to get your free caster in arcane ward and you get two free casts!

I googled it and apparently this is a change for the Intergrade version, it used to cost ATB/mp for what is now a free cast. So it went from a useless materia to incredible one. It can even be combined with mp absorb and maybe magnify apparently. I'll definitely be playing with this materia now!

Jinfash

Oct 27, 2017
I never finished my first play through on PS4, where I think I stopped when I first met Aerith and visited their home.

I restarted it yesterday on PS5, and my goodness, the intro/demo still gave me a rush of excitement. It looks and runs like a dream too.

However, I was also reminded of something that annoyed me a year ago: the chatter from people nearby. It's so loud that it distracts from what team members are actually saying. Can that segment of speech volume be controller or turned off?

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
I was surprised when Intergrade didn't have a separate slider for background dialogue volume. It was an incredibly common complaint.

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't know why it came to my head, but I forgot that CyberConnect2 was originally assigned to work on the remake. I would love to have seen what that version of the game looked like, and what caused them to move it in-house. Guess we saw a quick glimpse during PSX 2015, but still.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I accidentally got sucked into fort condor yesterday. It was good, except fuckin Chadley at the end. Took me a bunch of attempts to beat him. His ATB bar fills up ridiculously fast.

Jinfash

Oct 27, 2017
I was surprised when Intergrade didn't have a separate slider for background dialogue volume. It was an incredibly common complaint.
Since I can't play any game without subtitles, I think disabling name & dialog for chat log helps a bit. I makes it easier to focus on the subtitles of the characters and help my brain tune out the other speech.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Did they fix limit breaks re: how they could miss if your character was too far away from the enemy? I really feel like your character should be teleported to the target enemy when you activate their limit break. That shit pissed me off last year.

lemonade

May 8, 2018
Bahamut, not Pride and Joy, was the most difficult fight in the final base game simulation. But it's done and got the plat.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Did they fix limit breaks re: how they could miss if your character was too far away from the enemy? I really feel like your character should be teleported to the target enemy when you activate their limit break. That shit pissed me off last year.
Nah I definitely missed with a limit break last night lol it surprised me I guess I forgot that could happen.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
I can't say I noticed it much on my first playthrough, but I'm in chapter 8 doing all the sidequests and got the synergy materia from Chadley. The description sounded too good to be true, using a spell or ability by your active character will make an inactive character with linked materia/synergy use that spell for free - no ATB or MP consumed.

But it is true. And it wrecks shit. Aerith has been casting free blizzards every time Cloud uses any attack skill, I quickly switched her element to thunder for the fight against the big oil pipe mini boss for the angel of the slums quest and the guy just went down. Manage to get your free caster in arcane ward and you get two free casts!

I googled it and apparently this is a change for the Intergrade version, it used to cost ATB/mp for what is now a free cast. So it went from a useless materia to incredible one. It can even be combined with mp absorb and maybe magnify apparently. I'll definitely be playing with this materia now!
God damn, that's a hell of an upgrade. I generally avoid the synergy materia in the base game because I don't like my ATB and MP to be automatically depleted.

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
Wooooow I really don't like the MP restriction on Hard. Its really really hard to judge when you should be using magic. I got stuck on hell house with both characters starting the fight with around 20MP each since it was near the end of the chapter. It makes the game difficult in a way I dont like because its restricting your toolbox rather than making you use the entire box in clever ways.

azfaru

Dec 1, 2017
Damn can we get this on PC already? Sold of my PS4 for a PS5 that has never been in stock here. Itching to get back into Midgar!

Eien1no1Yami

Oct 30, 2017
Wooooow I really don't like the MP restriction on Hard. Its really really hard to judge when you should be using magic. I got stuck on hell house with both characters starting the fight with around 20MP each since it was near the end of the chapter. It makes the game difficult in a way I dont like because its restricting your toolbox rather than making you use the entire box in clever ways.

Just try not to use any MP during the mob fights and for healing rely mostly on chakra and pray.
You'll have plenty of MP for the boss fights.
Also keep in mind that Aerith has an ability that drains MP from enemies which is helpful in situations like the one you are right now with Hellhouse.

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
Just try not to use any MP during the mob fights and for healing rely mostly on chakra and pray.
You'll have plenty of MP for the boss fights.
Also keep in mind that Aerith has an ability that drains MP from enemies which is helpful in situations like the one you are right now with Hellhouse.
This is how I got through it, but I just dont like that Hard mode is designed around restricting use of the toolbox you have.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm currently going through hard mode again after doing it last year. I was with you last year; the whole situation around MP was stressing me out. This time though, I barely use any magic other than haste. I just got to the shinra HQ, and I've only used magic on like four fights: Airbuster, Hell House, the boss ghost in train graveyard and one of the sidequest enemies (the one with the big demolition ball in chapter 8). You actually don't need to rely on offensive magic to raise the stagger bar of most enemies: just spam the party's abilities that are designed to raise stagger. Cloud, Tifa and Barret all have one.

Most of my equipped materia are purple and yellow; always have the ATB purple materia equiped, and always have chakra and pray equipped on everyone. The lone green materia that's always equipped is haste paired with magnify.

Eien1no1Yami

Oct 30, 2017
This is how I got through it, but I just dont like that Hard mode is designed around restricting use of the toolbox you have.
If you find yourself in a situation with really low MP like that, yeah then there's not much you can do so it's quite restricting.
I'm just saying that on the other hand the game gives you many ways to avoid that, so it's like it tests you knowledge of the game mechanics
and makes/forces you to try stuff that you most probably wouldn't have used in your normal playthrough.
I think that's the thought process behind hard mode.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
If you find yourself in a situation with really low MP like that, yeah then there's not much you can do so it's quite restricting.
I'm just saying that on the other hand the game gives you many ways to avoid that, so it's like it tests you knowledge of the game mechanics
and makes/forces you to try stuff that you most probably wouldn't have used in your normal playthrough.
I think that's the thought process behind hard mode.
In the end, I didn't really like how hard mode was handled.

It's too easy for most of the experience. I guess it'd take more resources to truly balance hard mode around a lack of materia initially, but aside from a few bosses that I struggled with, the rest of the game was a breeze. It kinda just highlighted to me how useless items were once you optimised your materia setup.

Eien1no1Yami

Oct 30, 2017
In the end, I didn't really like how hard mode was handled.

It's too easy for most of the experience. I guess it'd take more resources to truly balance hard mode around a lack of materia initially, but aside from a few bosses that I struggled with, the rest of the game was a breeze. It kinda just highlighted to me how useless items were once you optimised your materia setup.
Personally I enjoyed hard mode because I don't like when things get too difficult in RPG games but I agree with you once you learn
the mechanics really well and have good materia builds then the game gets really easy.
Having said that I can totally understand why they didn't go any further in terms of difficulty in this game.
Keep in mind it's their first game that they use a battle system like so it's only logical that they didn't want to push it too far.
People need some time to fully grasp the battle mechanics of FFVII:R and there's also the user feedback which of course was not available during development.
Now for the sequel, given that they now have all this experience,my expectations are higher and I hope for a more balanced experience in terms of difficulty.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
I've been running through hard for the first time over the past few days. Just beat Hell House and I haven't run into any MP problems yet, MAINLY because I stole some tips from the internet... Otherwise I'd likely be in the same position as you.

1. Elemental and Magnify Materia will be your best friends. Assigning Elemental on your weapon lets you exploit mob weaknesses without wasting MP. When you DO feel like magic is necessary to thin out a crowd then Magnify allows you to be more efficient.

2. MP Ups, Magic Ups, and ATB boost-related Materia. All those Purple orbs I ignored during my normal mode playthrough have now become essential. Cloud is constantly filling out new charges, letting me spam Triple Slash and ignore Spells.

Everyone also talks about using Chakra and Pray to let you heal without MP but honestly so far the above has let me be conservative enough with MP that I can just Cura + Magnify during boss fights and not worry

Sorry if none of this is new info but this is what's getting me through my playthrough! FWIW it sounds like Hell House is one of the toughest Hard Mode bosses in the main campaign so we should be vibing from here on out

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Personally I enjoyed hard mode because I don't like when things get too difficult in RPG games but I agree with you once you learn
the mechanics really well and have good materia builds then the game gets really easy.
Having said that I can totally understand why they didn't go any further in terms of difficulty in this game.
Keep in mind it's their first game that they use a battle system like so it's only logical that they didn't want to push it too far.
People need some time to fully grasp the battle mechanics of FFVII:R and there's also the user feedback which of course was not available during development.
Now for the sequel, given that they now have all this experience,my expectations are higher and I hope for a more balanced experience in terms of difficulty.
Great points. The combat is so satisfying in this game, so I wonder how they'll improve upon it in Part 2.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
Been slowly replaying this and the skybox being utterly borked in ch. 8 and now ch. 13/14 is killing me. No way QA didn't notice that, higherups clearly just didn't care. At least that can be fixed for the PC release by modders, I think.

Link_enfant

One Winged Slayer
Jan 20, 2018
France
Oh my god, going back to 30fps looks way worse than expected.
I really thought it was actually an issue from the PS5 version being optimized a certain way, then I went back to the PS4 version and it was just the same: kind of awful even though I had no problem with it last year and played more than 70 hours. It's unreal.

(engine 4)

(Sorry)

Princess Bubblegum

On Break
Oct 25, 2017
I really thought it was actually an issue from the PS5 version being optimized a certain way, then I went back to the PS4 version and it was just the same: kind of awful even though I had no problem with it last year and played more than 70 hours. It's unreal.

(engine 4)

(Sorry)
Huh, guess they didn't adjust the motion blur then. Explains why the game is so ghosty.

Link_enfant

One Winged Slayer
Jan 20, 2018
France
Huh, guess they didn't adjust the motion blur then. Explains why the game is so ghosty.
You mean in 30fps mode? I eventually realized it looked the same as the PS4 version regarding performance but I might be wrong.
I'm loving the 60fps upgrade and it seems to be flawless, though I haven't watched the DF review yet to avoid any Intermission spoilers.

Princess Bubblegum

On Break
Oct 25, 2017
You mean in 30fps mode? I eventually realized it looked the same as the PS4 version regarding performance but I might be wrong.
I'm loving the 60fps upgrade and it seems to be flawless, though I haven't watched the DF review yet to avoid any Intermission spoilers.
There's ghosting in performance mode (PS5) that's occasionally noticeable in some cutscenes and when you move camera around real fast.

DF didn't analyze it extensively.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm still impressed with cutscene direction in this game. Especially after FFXV was so lackluster in that area

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London
There's ghosting in performance mode (PS5) that's occasionally noticeable in some cutscenes and when you move camera around real fast.

DF didn't analyze it extensively.
That's TAA ghosting which is present in the 30fps mode and was in the base game as well. The reconstruction basically isn't able to "catch up" with a complete image in time when there's fast movement, so you get ghosting in high contrast areas inevitably with this technique.

Princess Bubblegum

On Break
Oct 25, 2017
That's TAA ghosting which is present in the 30fps mode and was in the base game as well. The reconstruction basically isn't able to "catch up" with a complete image in time when there's fast movement, so you get ghosting in high contrast areas inevitably with this technique.
Huh, I didn't notice it while playing it on PS4. Yeah I've heard it's a TAA issue, Scarlet Nexus has a very similar issue (on PC at least).

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
MP absorb + Element, magnify + element. Pair with a weapon that makes offensive spells cheaper and magic up materia. Base spells are basically free against single targets, -ra on 2 targets, -ga on 3. Having synergy on a character you don't directly control gives you a steady stream of magic attacks too.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

(engine 4)

(Sorry)
Did you go back to the PS4 version on a PS4? I'm the same as you in that I couldn't believe what I was seeing when the game was in 30fps. Even in the PS4 version played on a PS5. There's a part of me that wants to believe that the PS5 itself is deliberately fucking with me just to gaslight me lol.

Gotchaforce

Oct 31, 2017
This Divine Gratitude trophy is driving me nuts. I got the trophy for all side quests done. When I go to chapter 14 on it shows CH9 side quests as not done. When I got to CH9 on easy it shows they're all done on all chapters. But when I go back to CH14 to finish it and get the trophy the CH9 side quests show as not done and even when I beat the chapter the letter doesn't show. Frustrating.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017

This is one of my issues with the combat in this game and it became even more apparent starting from scratch with Intergrade. It really does feel like "part 1" stage combat for almost the entire game because it takes almost that long to grasp the mechanics properly and also to unlock all the good materia combinations. Not to mention all the time you have to spend speccing and using weapons you don't like just to unlock that particular skill tied to it. Even by the end it doesn't feel like you have an extended run playing with a set full party and then it's all over. Like how long do you really get to play with Aerith in your party? It's not until NG+ and hard mode does it really feel like the combat gets anywhere near its full potential and even then you're stuck going through the disjointed party setups and constantly have to swap over materia all over again.

Last edited: