• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Chapter 9 is still so much fun, the Honey Bee Inn has to be in my top moments in video games, it's just absolutely fabulous.

Concrete1337

Sep 1, 2020
So I am on chapter 5…I've played FF7 a few times I have no idea wtf is happening. There are ghosts that look like they came out of muppets Christmas carol, some guy on a motor bike and parachuting. It's been something so far. I'll give it that.

After hating ff15 I'm surprised I actually kinda enjoy the combat.

Weird audio mixing still bothering me. Had random volume changes in a recent cut scene. Luckily I had subs on.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
So whats the deal with the Ramuh fight...? you have to change up your materia orbs for Dispel,or barrier or whatever...I will look online but this fight is ridiculous lol...
Are you playing solo or with Sonon? Fighting him after getting Sonon is better. I didn't need to use Dispe/Barrier so it's not really necessary I think.

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
So whats the deal with the Ramuh fight...? you have to change up your materia orbs for Dispel,or barrier or whatever...I will look online but this fight is ridiculous lol...

I bought some Phoenix Downs before that fight and made sure Sonon had the Material that increases the Limit Break Gauge.

On a normal playthrough (doing it right at the start). It was easily the toughest fight in the whole game. He comes in really handy for the other bosses tho

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
First time playing.

Chapter 6 wasn't as bad as I expected. A little by-the-numbers, for sure, but holy shit the scale is just utterly phenomenal. Also, possibly the best HDR I've ever experienced on my LG OLED GX. Just insane looking at the artificial suns. Wow.

Question
- I think I must be playing wrong. I've been playing as Cloud 99% of the time in battles, occasionally going to Barret to shoot down the enemies too high, or to Tifa just to simply throw healing items on Cloud. I was complaining the AI is brain dead and never attacking what I want - so I went into the menus thinking there'd be some type of attack priority settings or something. Nope. ... It occurred to me, am I supposed to be flipping between these characters constantly? It seems they NEVER use their abilities or spells - so I'm guessing I'm supposed to be doing that manually all by myself?

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
First time playing.

Chapter 6 wasn't as bad as I expected. A little by-the-numbers, for sure, but holy shit the scale is just utterly phenomenal. Also, possibly the best HDR I've ever experienced on my LG OLED GX. Just insane looking at the artificial suns. Wow.

Question - I think I must be playing wrong. I've been playing as Cloud 99% of the time in battles, occasionally going to Barret to shoot down the enemies too high, or to Tifa just to simply throw healing items on Cloud. I was complaining the AI is brain dead and never attacking what I want - so I went into the menus thinking there'd be some type of attack priority settings or something. Nope. ... It occurred to me, am I supposed to be flipping between these characters constantly? It seems they NEVER use their abilities or spells - so I'm guessing I'm supposed to be doing that manually all by myself?
Exactly this. You should attack to build up ATB and then switch to build up ATB for the other characters. The character you directly control builds ATB faster than the AI controlled characters. You have to manually issue ability commands either by switching to the characters or selecting it with L2 and R2 (I think) depending on the character.

I also wanted to say this version is a SIGNIFICANT upgrade. I played the hell out of the original over the past year and the lighting is so noticable. 60 FPS is a game changer and makes the game feel so much more responsive. I'm having a really good time with this.

nss

Apr 10, 2018
First time playing.

Question - I think I must be playing wrong. I've been playing as Cloud 99% of the time in battles, occasionally going to Barret to shoot down the enemies too high, or to Tifa just to simply throw healing items on Cloud. I was complaining the AI is brain dead and never attacking what I want - so I went into the menus thinking there'd be some type of attack priority settings or something. Nope. ... It occurred to me, am I supposed to be flipping between these characters constantly? It seems they NEVER use their abilities or spells - so I'm guessing I'm supposed to be doing that manually all by myself?

On Normal you can play the way you've been playing without issue. On Hard the game really challenges you if you're not constantly switching control of characters and managing everyones ATB efficiently. Enemies generally attack whoever you are controlling. And you are the one who has to manage your teams ATB unless you've given them auto-cure etc.

I thought the combat/game was generally fun and enjoyable on Normal, but it wasn't until playing Hard where the combat really clicked for me (by force of how challenging the game is) and the game became my GOTY.

Rickyrozay2o9

Dec 11, 2017
So yeah after finally getting to the slums with aerith I'm starting to see some textures that just like the PS4 version the textures aren't fully loaded and I don't mean low res like the trash piles. I don't know how this is happening still but part 2 better not have issues like this.

lemonade

May 8, 2018
Finally got 50k points in Soldier challenge after what felt like an hour. Still can't believe how insane that was.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
So yeah after finally getting to the slums with aerith I'm starting to see some textures that just like the PS4 version the textures aren't fully loaded and I don't mean low res like the trash piles. I don't know how this is happening still but part 2 better not have issues like this.
I think they only touched up the sector 7 slums because its featured in the Yuffie DLC which explains why sector 5 still looks bad.

Rickyrozay2o9

Dec 11, 2017
I think they only touched up the sector 7 slums because its featured in the Yuffie DLC which explains why sector 5 still looks bad.
wow.. I mean you go to the lengths of adding in a Performance and Graphics mode right...add in all the extra visual affects (lighting, fog) then you upgrade SOME textures and after a year you cant make sure to polish everything? just seems strange but hopefully this kind of consistency isn't a thing going forward.

Japanmanx3

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Which save file did y'all bring over to auto unlock Chapter select??
I figured this out smh lol. I uploaded a save file I created separately that wasn't based off of my 100% completion save. But it still popped all my trophies when I uploaded that first save so I assumed it was my endgame one, hence the confusion. Will try to tackle INTERmission today if work permits.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Surprised anyone's still playing this when Chaos is available for free.
vR21jCV.jpg

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
You have to keep looking at Ramuh's ability nameplate. Always keep close to 1 ATB bar to be able to use Brumal Form to dodge Voltaic Lance. Have Wind Ninjutsu on. When he teleports close to you he will try a triple strike that you have to block (I think perfect blocking the first strike stops his series but maybe it was a fluke). A lot of his other attacks can just be avoided by moving (the thunder strikes), and not running into the fire (those stunning bolts he puts). Biggest mistake is hammering square while he has an attack nameplate up.

When he casts the sparks, immediately use Art of War on the nearest one, and then use throw/retrieve to close the gap with the next one, melee it down quickly (don't use ninjutsu), then go to the last one and repeat. This will put Ramuh in a pressured state, use Sonon's Twirling Lunge (X2 if you have enough ATB) and powerful wind spells to raise his stagger meter. Most of the damage is avoidable, and when you fail it raises your limit gauge. You might want to use the L1 shortcut menus for Brumal Form, timing it with the full menu made me miss a lot of them (you pause the game too early, and then either whiff too early or get tagged when getting out of the menu).

Last edited:

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
Beat Yuffie DLC on hard mode. Went surprisingly well, and did manage to beat the final boss on my first try (although I almost died... that last phase is brutal)

Overall I really loved my time with the DLC. It has decent amount of contents, The visuals look fantastic, the characters were great, and the combat gameplay was excellent. Even the Fort Condor minigame was really fun. I had 0 issue with the DLC, only wish it was longer.

Now time to try beating the VR boss and another playthrough of the base game on the PS5.

Dreezy

Oct 27, 2017
So I stopped playing the main game last year right before Shinra HQ, finally went back and beat it in glorious 60fps (I'm now a believer after this game lol) Also, the graphics at this point to the end were pretty delicious although sometimes
RED XIII
looked pretty haggard.

Major thematic ending spoilers
I actually like the meta, changing their destiny shit? It was pretty cool to almost break the 4th wall. Those annoying whispers were definitely fans who don't want anything to change lol. My bet is Aerith lives next game having now slain Destiny, they can just as easily tell the full story with her alive.
All in all, I think Square knocked the remake out of the park when it comes to story and combat. I hope they can spice up the maps/traversal next game, shit felt too close to the OG man.

Unknown837

Oct 26, 2017
How do you get the intermission DLC? It says not available for purchase, was going to pick up the PS4 base FFVII and then buy the DLC.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
Exactly this. You should attack to build up ATB and then switch to build up ATB for the other characters. The character you directly control builds ATB faster than the AI controlled characters. You have to manually issue ability commands either by switching to the characters or selecting it with L2 and R2 (I think) depending on the character.

I also wanted to say this version is a SIGNIFICANT upgrade. I played the hell out of the original over the past year and the lighting is so noticable. 60 FPS is a game changer and makes the game feel so much more responsive. I'm having a really good time with this.
On Normal you can play the way you've been playing without issue. On Hard the game really challenges you if you're not constantly switching control of characters and managing everyones ATB efficiently. Enemies generally attack whoever you are controlling. And you are the one who has to manage your teams ATB unless you've given them auto-cure etc.

I thought the combat/game was generally fun and enjoyable on Normal, but it wasn't until playing Hard where the combat really clicked for me (by force of how challenging the game is) and the game became my GOTY.

Thank you so much, both of you, for the explanations! This should make encounters a fair bit easier, lol.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
How do you get the intermission DLC? It says not available for purchase, was going to pick up the PS4 base FFVII and then buy the DLC.

When you run the PS5 edition you should see a window in the top right of the screen that mentions the Intermission DLC, pressing triangle on the main screen should launch the PSN store which has the DLC for $20. It only works with the PS5 edition of the game, so you need to "upgrade" (free) to the PS5 edition, install it, run it, etc. Export your save from the PS4 edition (main menu) and import into the PS5 if you want to carry over progression.

I finished the Yuffie DLC today, took me a bit over 6.5 hours on a normal playthrough, I'm not going to bother with hard. I wasn't that impressed with the whole thing, I found Yuffie to be mostly annoying, cutesy, naive, whatever for most of the DLC. The entire DLC felt like a bizarre demo or fan made modded level or something. I did enjoy the last hour or so of it, and the atmosphere of just chilling in the first hour was ok. But overall I'd just say only super hardcore FF7 fans should bother, and even then I kinda wish I had just waited until part 2 and played it then.

Under the hood though everything is amazing, visuals look fantastic on PS5, load times are INSANE - 3 to 4 seconds from PS5 home screen to FF7R home screen, another 2-3 seconds to load in game. Crazy! There were some animation lags and latency spikes in game during crazy fight sequences, especially if I did windstorm. I plat'd FF7R last year and loved it, importing my save gave me a second platinum so that was pretty neat.

Can't wait for part 2, but I won't be buying any more one off DLCs, they just are not worth it (to me).

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
The lock-on during the [Intermission] box challenge is just infuriating, holy shit. The number of times I've had it decide to lock on something literally 180° behind the current camera direction is nothing short of astonishing, and just when I think it's proximity-based and not camera-based, it goes and locks on to a box behind the box that is in front of me, going from A to C and skipping over B entirely even though C is completely occluded by B. Aaaaaaaagh. This is the worst type of frustration.

This would be 100% doable the first time through if it'd just do what I'm trying to get it to do, but I guess I'll just come back later after I'm leveled up and can brute force my way through by breaking boxes faster.

Anyway, completely adoring this otherwise. Even though the game opened on a familiar area, I spent hours running around listening to all the new crowd dialogue and messing around with photo mode.

Last edited:

lemonade

May 8, 2018
Finished Intermission and holy shit. From the incredible music to the ending, this DLC is definitely worth $20.

Square sure put in the budget for this. Insane DLC.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
The lock-on during the box challenge is just infuriating, holy shit. The number of times I've had it decide to lock on something literally 180° behind the current camera direction is nothing short of astonishing, and just when I think it's proximity-based and not camera-based, it goes and locks on to a box behind the box that is in front of me, going from A to C and skipping over B entirely even though C is completely occluded by B. Aaaaaaaagh. This is the worst type of frustration.

This would be 100% doable the first time through if it'd just do what I'm trying to get it to do, but I guess I'll just come back later after I'm leveled up and can brute force my way through by breaking boxes faster.

Anyway, completely adoring this otherwise. Even though the game opened on a familiar area, I spent hours running around listening to all the new crowd dialogue and messing around with photo mode.
A trick I found is to open the command menu to slow down time and then lock onto the target you want to throw it at from there. Its a bit tedious but it works.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
Just wrapped up Chapter 8.

I continue to wait for the "gotcha." But the game continues to really blow me away. Fantastic character moments. Surprisingly well-written dialogues. Everything feels…. natural. It's like the antithesis to the misery I felt with FFXV. If this game somehow manages to maintain this great pacing, exciting areas, combat, and story… dare I say this might end up as one of my Top Five of the generation.

And the scale! The scale of everything is so good.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
Ah, we've entered the "I don't know who these people are!" phase of the DLC. I kind of love that they're going all the way in on the full compilation here.

A trick I found is to open the command menu to slow down time and then lock onto the target you want to throw it at from there. Its a bit tedious but it works.
Oh man, I can't believe I didn't think to try that. Thanks for the tip!

Young Liar

Nov 30, 2017
okay so i mostly bee-lined through the story my first time through the dlc, only doing the one tutorial fort condor match.

i started a save file on hard to actually do all the side content, but now it seems like all the fort condor matches are level 5 and i only have a handful of "good" units i just picked up from going through the story. i played against kyrie but i ran out of time the three times i tried, and i only managed to squeeze by against johnny on my second go around. old snapper only has two shitty starter units to sell for me which i already got.

is there no way for me to fight against the level 1 iterations of the fort condor players in hard? do i really have to start a save file on normal, beat everyone there to get the good units and boards, and then bring that stuff over to a hard mode save file so i don't end up banging my head against the wall with my starter stuff against these level 5 players?

Nov 17, 2020
Im currently on Chapter 6. With each chapter ending I'm more sad because the game is coming to an end. This game is really important to me and I already cant wait for Part 2. Hope they realease it soon-ish since they have the game's core ready(like the battle system, character models, assets etc).

Do your best Squeenix. Purizzz!!!!

*Εdit
Did they increase the street chatter from the PS4 version? The city and the dialogues seem more alive and intense

Last edited:

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
okay so i mostly bee-lined through the story my first time through the dlc, only doing the one tutorial fort condor match.

i started a save file on hard to actually do all the side content, but now it seems like all the fort condor matches are level 5 and i only have a handful of "good" units i just picked up from going through the story. i played against kyrie but i ran out of time the three times i tried, and i only managed to squeeze by against johnny on my second go around. old snapper only has two shitty starter units to sell for me which i already got.

is there no way for me to fight against the level 1 iterations of the fort condor players in hard? do i really have to start a save file on normal, beat everyone there to get the good units and boards, and then bring that stuff over to a hard mode save file so i don't end up banging my head against the wall with my starter stuff against these level 5 players?
yeah unfortunately Normal and Hard Fort Condor are completely separate I think.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Just wrapped up Chapter 8.

I continue to wait for the "gotcha." But the game continues to really blow me away. Fantastic character moments. Surprisingly well-written dialogues. Everything feels…. natural. It's like the antithesis to the misery I felt with FFXV. If this game somehow manages to maintain this great pacing, exciting areas, combat, and story… dare I say this might end up as one of my Top Five of the generation.

And the scale! The scale of everything is so good.

My main issue is that I felt a discrepancy with how certain characters/scenes (anything regarding Sephirot, Hojo and Shinra basically) feels compared to every other moment, almost like they were written by different people (which might be but can't say it's a thing at all). Still, I agree on how natural overall the dialogue is.

Rikster

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Jun 24, 2018
California
Loved the Yuffie DLC they showed way more on the ending then I thought they would.

Now going through original game again to do a trophy clean up and get that platinum I never got.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
goddamnit

i hope i don't actually have to finish all of chapter 1 on normal again to carry over my fort condor progress to a hard mode save file!
No no you can use chapter select anytime to move around. Start chapter 1 from chapter select menu, go through the beginning and do all the fort condor, and after that select chapter select and Select chapter 1 with hard mode.

AstralSphere

Feb 10, 2021
My god the Yuffie 50,000 box smashing game can royally get fucked.

I know exactly what to do and what the route is, but dealing with the targeting and trying to be precise is such a nightmare. There's nothing like looking right at boxes directly in front of you, pressing triangle, and being warped to the other side of the room *behind you*.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Finally started the Yuffie DLC yesterday. Spent a solid 4 hours already in it, doign all the sidequests and all the Fort Condor duels in the early part. I'm now 66% through the first chapter according to that PS5 card thingy. So far, I'm loving it. Yuffie is a huge dork but also quite the dick sometimes. It's a blast seeing her interact with the world. That part in the sidequest where Marle catches her ripping off a poster for Old Snapper was hilarious. In genral I love how people keep talking about "the Merc", hehe. Yuffie's battle abilities are fantastic. I just love going ham on the enmies and synching up with my party member, which also did the trick in the first VR battle I did. The game looks fantastic on PS5 and it just feels great playing it in 60 FPS. Can't wait to play more. But after nearly 5 hours I can already say that it's well worth the price.

Crydaddy

Oct 25, 2017
Miramichi, NB
Been a while since I picked up FF7R -- bought intergrade but a bit nervous about jumping in being rusty at the combat. Does it reteach/transition well for that situation?

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
Been a while since I picked up FF7R -- bought intergrade but a bit nervous about jumping in being rusty at the combat. Does it reteach/transition well for that situation?
Not really.... so it's gonna get some time to get used to it. Also Yuffie's combat has some unique stuff as well so it took me a while to get the hang of it.

TiduzOmni

Oct 25, 2017
You can do it! Scorpion Sentinel is one of the harder bosses in hard mode. Remember you will gain additional levels to get to 50 and your materia will gain 3x AP to help you level it up. You got this!

thanks for that, I got to the boss at chapter 6 and got totally rekt just now, will try again tomorrow, that robot hits really hard damn