• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
Microsoft does it as well, just a few days ago we got a court document which told us Stalker 2 has a 3 months exclusivity window. This acting like only Sony pays publishers for exclusivity is pathetic.
Nobody is acting like only Sony does it.

Comparing a PC exclusive niche franchise in S.T.A.L.K.E.R to one of the most successful franchises in gaming history is hilarious. It's pretty easy to see why this announcement would generate more noise.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
E: - putting this spoilery thing in the other thread

Last edited:

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Playing this day 1 on PS5 but ffs more waiting for everyone, especially PC users

I'm almost willing to bet money that the Yuffie DLC is not dependant on next gen hardware and that it's just one excuse for the exclusivity dlc.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User banned (3 days): Console warring
Ah the classic complaint that this forum is too Sony and/or Nintendo centric.

Wut.

Im saying, all the Sony dorks up in here that are like "MS too" aren't realizing this place has tons of Nintendo and PC players, so bringing up what MS does is not really the big gotcha these guys think it is.

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
Pretty shitty move. The original had a one year exclusive deal that ended. I think it's kind of a shitty move to have people believe it would be coming to Xbox and PC not long after that then pull this.

FF7 Remake was the not as big as Sony and Square thought it was going to be and I don't think this this moves the needle too much as most people with Ps5's probably already have it on PS4 and will just get the free upgrade.
People chose to believe it would happen without actually waiting for an announcement to happen. It's never been a given that once the date thresholds get crossed a product is to be announced for certain. Blame Sony and SE for the exclusivity deal all you want, but they certainly weren't the ones frothing Gamers into a tizzy!

Oct 27, 2017
Aside from a PC port, i imagine Sony would consider just making the whole remake project a timed exclusive in that the whole package ships for Xbox in like 2026+.

I mean at least that makes sense to me tho that might require like a $100M from Sony, maybe Less

Dre3001

Oct 28, 2017
The trailer saying console exclusive and not just exclusive makes me weary that after the 6 months it will only be coming to PC.

Misterhbk

Oct 27, 2017
Dang. I wish all players could play this. I hope the money is good for Square. The Final Fantasy brand needs to be available to as many people as possible so I hope it's worth it for them. I am excited to play this on my PS5 though.
For SE honestly it's a win win. They get the Sony check, the game will sell very well on PS. Then after 6 months to a year they get the check from MS to put it on Gamepass, where Xbox users get the game for "free."

Killua96

Apr 21, 2021
This is getting ridiculus, for both Square and Sony.
Next what will be? VIIR Part 1/2 Collection, with other 6 months of exclusivity? LOL

Nov 23, 2017
For SE honestly it's a win win. They get the Sony check, the game will sell very well on PS. Then after 6 months to a year they get the check from MS to put it on Gamepass, where Xbox users get the game for "free."
I honestly didn't think of that. Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. I do now expect Microsoft to spend cash money on a Game Pass deal. MLB The Show 21 Game Pass hype was pretty high so this would be a good boon for MS too.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
No. Sony just paid for an exclusive dungeon in the destiny that didn't come to Xbox / pc until a year later when the next expansion hit and it was obsolete, and then Sony got another dungeon exclusive for a year.

Being slightly pedantic here but it was meant to be a year later deal but then Sony extended it and none of the PlayStation Destiny 1 exclusive stuff (strikes/weapons) ended up coming to Xbox until after Destiny 2 launched.

Basically, it never came as far as Xbox players were concerned because, obviously, people had moved on to Destiny 2 once that launched.

Golbez

Oct 20, 2020
Fuck off, Square.

At this point I'm not going to expect Part 1 on PC/Xbox at all until Part 2 is out (and exclusively on PS5 because of course it will).

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty shitty move. The original had a one year exclusive deal that ended. I think it's kind of a shitty move to have people believe it would be coming to Xbox and PC not long after that then pull this.

FF7 Remake was the not as big as Sony and Square thought it was going to be and I don't think this this moves the needle too much as most people with Ps5's probably already have it on PS4 and will just get the free upgrade.
Any source for this? Everything I've read indicated Square has been more than pleased with the sales.

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Platform Warring; Metacommentary; Attempted Thread Derail; Multiple Prior Infractions
Why people keep comparing buying a studio and pay the development of all their games with paying to block acces to the game to other platforms? I mean both can suck as a player but come on, the difference is big.
Acting like Bethesda was somehow hurting for money and good-guy Microsoft swooped in to rescue them from their financial woes is definitely a take.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
Square 'scummy' enix should be their name. Taking some of the most disgusting shitty deals as a company that just wants even more money than they got with the exclusivity of the vanilla version of the game in the name of 'business'. Scum of the earth pubs alongside the likes of Activision.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
*yawn* at timed exclusive complaints after the celebratory mood with which the Bethesda acquisition was met here.
Yep, this is kind of weird. Throw in all the Epic Store defenders. Yet a 6 months exclusive is apparently a huge issue.

Heck, I want this on PC as well, and will probably wait anyways, despite having PS4 copy and a PS5 to play it on.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Acting like Bethesda was somehow hurting for money and good-guy Microsoft swooped in to rescue them from their financial woes is definitely a take.
The last Bethesda games weren't a success and Bethesda said they wanted to sell. Sure, the fact Microsoft got them sucks for some, but ultimately they would've been sold regardless, because they put themselves on the market.

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The launch trailer explicitly stating it was "captured on PC" is definitely an indicator.
That isn't new for Square though? I'm pretty sure both XIII and XV had trailers that were capture on PC and they didn't come to Steam until years later, so it's not like they were just sitting on a completed port of either of those games. It's not hard to imagine that the same was here. Games are built on PC's and may not launch on PC the same day as console pretty frequently. It's not new.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, and Square Enix makes exclusivity deals with Nintendo frequently as well with games like Octopath Traveller and perhaps Project Triangle Strategy. It's a common practice that's designed to annoy consumers who are missing out.

It's design to give the company as much money as possible .
It's annoying the consumers is just a after effect but hey that is business.
Still with the amount of deals this game had Sony most likely pay for the whole budget and more at this rate lol .

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, this is kind of weird. Throw in all the Epic Store defenders. Yet a 6 months exclusive is apparently a huge issue.

Heck, I want this on PC as well, and will probably wait anyways, despite having PS4 copy and a PS5 to play it on.

Are the people complaining about the exclusivity here said the buyout of Bethesda was good ? Cause I'm sure as heck I said it was bad, despite not being impacted personnally.

supercommodore

Prophet of Truth
Apr 13, 2020
UK
It's only timed exclusive, people need to get over their FOMO. Game will be just as enjoyable 6 months later.

ShinAmano

Oct 30, 2017
They were up for sale and anyone could have bought them.

On topic...I just don't care...it is a fraction of the original story. Wake me up when they have a complete package.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Sucks for other platforms users but when Microsoft is buying studios left and right Sony is going to get more agressive as well in securing big deals like these.

FFXV released on both platforms at the same time and the Xbox only accounted for 20% (UK) and 30% (US) of the sales at launch (now imagine the rotw), so it's easier for Sony to do deals like these and Square seems willing. And they'll probably get money from MS later to put these games on GP too lol

Surprised about the PC situation though, I assumed it would be out by now. Sony deals usually don't involve blocking PC versions.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Any source for this? Everything I've read indicated Square has been more than pleased with the sales.
I'm not saying the sales were bad.
I think it's between 5-6 million units sold.

-edit I was referring more to its reception. It reviewed okay, some people liked and some people were very meh on it.

Last edited:

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fuck off, Square.

At this point I'm not going to expect Part 1 on PC/Xbox at all until Part 2 is out (and exclusively on PS5 because of course it will).
I'd say there is pretty much a zero percent chance part 2 is released day and date on PC and Xbox with PS5
Sucks for other platforms users but when Microsoft is buying studios left and right Sony is going to get more agressive as well in securing big deals like these.

FFXV released on both platforms at the same time and the Xbox only accounted for 20% (UK) and 30% (US) of the sales at launch (now imagine the rotw), so it's easier for Sony to do deals like these and Square seems willing. And they'll probably get money from MS later to put these games on GP too lol

Surprised about the PC situation though, I assumed it would be out by now. Sony deals usually don't involve blocking PC versions.
SE games seem to always have a delayed PC release(well besides the MMOs for obvious reasons)

It's also clear the SE doesn't care about cultivating an Xbox fanbase for Final Fantasy at this point. They tried some with FFXIII and FFXV releasing day and date with PlayStation, but now they have deemed that it isn't worth the resources to even launch FFXIV on Xbox at all, but already have a native PS5 beta live and ready to launch in a few months.

SE will continue to ignore Xbox and take Sony's money for timed exclusives and then MS's money for Game Pass to get some cash for their 3 year games that are no longer selling anyway.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lashley

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017

Disingenuous to say everyone upset about this was applauding the Bethesda acquisition

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
I said it many times already but timed exclusives are and always have been the most stupid and worthless thing someone can do. I mean I waited for the PS5 port and I will buy/play this but I wish Sony (and others) would stop with this shit and use those millions in other ways.

That said, can't wait for the Xbox Twitter making a huge deal out of it when it releases on Gamepass in 2 years.

rrc1594

Oct 25, 2017

Well if a fanbase is getting cut off at the knees how do you expect it to grow? Sega did it the right way with Yakuza

MaulerX

Oct 30, 2017
Then they wonder why these type of games don't "sell well" on Xbox. By the time they do nobody gives a shit. Sucks that PC players get shafted too.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
They do when it's Final Fantasy. X/X-2 was finished for a whole year and untouched before it came to PC. Other S-E games like DQ builders took either 1 year or 6 months on the dot to come to PC.

Yueezy

Dec 12, 2020
It is annoying af. I am not sure if I would even bother playing it on PC or Xbox after all that time. This was my most anticipated game last year but canceled my preorder because of the texture shit. And they didn't patch it, but made the fixed texture exclusive to PS5 and another timed exclusive? Go fuck yourself SE and Sony.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
If the other console manufacture buys Bethesda Et Al. I can see why you might want some exclusive things on yours. If MS isn't the bad guy for their exclusive stuff on console then Sony isn't either surely. I did not call you Shirley.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
The last Bethesda games weren't a success and Bethesda said they wanted to sell. Sure, the fact Microsoft got them sucks for some, but ultimately they would've been sold regardless, because they put themselves on the market.

Well it's the same for games all pubs look to get a deal for there games if it make sense .
Hell sometimes before the game even made FFVIIR will be a eg of this .
So really it's no different .

Crumrin

Banned
Feb 27, 2020
Tomorrow or 6 months from now, at least it will end up being released on other platforms. Better than blocking games and entire publishers for good.