• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should this thread contain open spoilers?

• Yes

Votes: 1,406 73.4%
  • No

Votes: 510 26.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

discotrigger

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like Yuffie's going to be a great playable character. I can already see her being very versatile after looking at how Cloud's nearly helpless in long-range situations and Barret is more like a ranged tank. Yuffie could easily be a master of both agile melee attacks and medium ranged attacks if they design her that way.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia

Makes a lot of sense - this interview was conducted just as FFVIIR was being greenlit, if I remember correctly.

"Cait Sith often refers to himself in the first person, and, as it would be impractical for Reeve to control Cait Sith directly all the time, he could have a sort of artificial intelligence. In Before Crisis -Final Fantasy VII- when under the player's control, Cait Sith still speaks on his own. Thus, a rough picture of Cait Sith's persona can be made. When Cait Sith is depicted as being directly controlled by Reeve in Final Fantasy VII, it is not clarified how he controls him as he is seen at times with a direct link to Cait Sith with no visual means of controlling him. In Dirge of Cerberus -Final Fantasy VII-, it is revealed Reeve controls Cait Sith mentally. "

This is what I was thinking of - have the game did into this stuff, canonise it, and maybe explore the ramifications.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Wow I had no recollection of this. Is the implication that Reeve is a perv with mini Cait Sith's spying on the Honey Bee Inn?

I guess it could also be for Shinra to use as leverage on people.
This is actually cut or obscured in the original but there is an included scene in the Honeybee Inn that's the same as this, with Reeve's parents talking about how their son put them up there and the mini cait sith bouncing around.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i want wutai war to be in this game as a flasback, with zack and yuffie and i want that to be very dramatic, bloody and heavy, very different of how it is in crisis core

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone disliking Yuffie is a confirmed badtaster. She has the two most pure scenes in the game (cloud cheek kiss and crying on cloud)

It's not cut. And it's only really obscured because youre looking through a keyhole. The scene is in there in it's entirety
There are two or three scenes with them, I think that one specifically is a totally blacked out screen for some reason though, not just the keyhole like the others.

Still, deep lore.

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Yuffie is one of the better characters in the game. I didn't realise this until I was 20 years old. I am about to be 32 years old in mid-October.

Giever

Oct 25, 2017
This is actually cut or obscured in the original but there is an included scene in the Honeybee Inn that's the same as this, with Reeve's parents talking about how their son put them up there and the mini cait sith bouncing around.
Wait, so Reeve actually set his parents up at the Honeybee Inn then there's a mini Cait Sith watching them, uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Well I guess it could just be, like, a toy one that he gave them that doesn't have cameras or anything.

Ruruja

Oct 25, 2017
it'll work the same as it did in FF7, just translated to a new battle system

We know some of Barret's skills cost 2 ATB

so I assume depending on the strength of the summon, it will cost 1-2 ATBs and a proportionate amount of MP and that's it

I think there'll be more than 2 ATB slots further into the game don't you? Summons will probably cost 3-4 ATB slots.

Maybe you're right though and they just cost a lot more MP than normal magic.

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
since we are talking about Ito, can i request an Ito interview? lots of final fantasy fans wants to know whats up with him, its been a long time since we heard of him

Yeah, I know people wanna know. I'm the same.

The main problem imo, to peek behind the curtain for a sec, is there are two types of interview with most Japanese developers:
1) You get an interview through email, and it goes through multiple layers of PR, Marketing and Branding people in multiple countries, plus translation, before it reaches the subject - they might tweak phrasing, they might take a question out entirely because they don't like it, etc. Then when the person answers, they write an answer and it then goes through a translator again, and the answer winds its way back through the same system (and god knows if it gets changed, too).
2) Or there's an event, meaning the person you're after is either flown out to the SE offices near you or you happen to be in town somewhere they are, like TGS or E3 or whatever and you can have a chat face-to-face. Obviously PR and stuff is still involved, but you can have a more natural back-and-forth this way.

This varies from company to company if I'm honest - like, with Capcom, in my experience it's a touch easier generally to say "yo, I have a couple of questions for Ono" and get them sent and back within like a week with seemingly very little interference (but of course their PR and marketing are going to be looking along the way). With Square, again, being honest, I've had relatively low-impact interview questions to Yoko Shimomura yanked just because they didn't like the sound of them. It's just part of the PR/media dance, you have to find a way to get the information you want through whatever artificial barriers are raised. It's no bad blood, it's just part of the game and people doing their jobs. This exists with Western developers too, but obviously when you have a shared language it's easier to trade business cards at an event and then reach out to them directly (which PR dislike intensely, but I digress) if you want to talk about something that's not a specific topic.

The problem is, #2 only really happens if that subject has a big enough project for a pub like SE to put them out there. You can reach out and ask for an Ito interview, but given that he's not working on a currently announced project there's no guarantee it'd be accepted anyway - but it also means if it was you'd almost certainly be limited to an email Q&A (which what I'm getting at is always lower quality/less interesting/raw/honest), the chances of catching up with him in person are minimal.

I did try to get a chance to chat to him around FF12 and FF9 re-releasing back when both those first hit PS4, but no luck on either front, sadly. I'm the guy who asked Shinji Hashimoto if Ito was still at SE in 2015, though, and at that time Hashimoto-san said he was still there and was working on a proposal for a new project. I don't think that's FF16, though, before anybody jumps to conclusions.

So yeah. That's it. That's the thing.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Regarding "Stances" that people who watched the press demo, i am super interested in it and there is a few aspects i'd like them throw around to spice up things, like:
-this is a new type of Materia, one good way to expand on an already existing system;
-there's more variety than just light/heavy attacks, maybe AoE/crowd control, magic-oriented and so on;
-you can find 2-4 stances materia for each character through the game (it's a small number sure, but they have to save some for future titles lol);
-i would like if you can only equip 1 stance materia and it also grants passive stats bonuses, that would be a good way to differentiate playstyles among players;

OP
OP
ArkhamFantasy

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017

"Omg i'm getting the deluxe edition. I'm getting the deluxe edition, period. Period. "

*First class edition pops up*

"Ok nvm i'm getting that one"

LOL

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Do people unironically like reaction videos
0pGGQQ2.png

Regarding "Stances" that people who watched the press demo, i am super interested in it and there is a few aspects i'd like them throw around to spice up things, like:
-this is a new type of Materia, one good way to expand on an already existing system;
-there's more variety than just light/heavy attacks, maybe AoE/crowd control, magic-oriented and so on;
-you can find 2-4 stances materia for each character through the game (it's a small number sure, but they have to save some for future titles lol);
-i would like if you can only equip 1 stance materia and it also grants passive stats bonuses, that would be a good way to differentiate playstyles among players;
You could already make some of the existing materia into stances maybe (e.g. long range, cover)

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
I want Yuffie to be a combo fiend and fast as fuck, move as fast as she did in the original

She will most likely be a ranged character and throw big shurikens as basic attacks

Melee:
Cloud
Tifa
Nanaki
Cid
Cait Sith

Ranged:
Barret
Vincent
Yuffie

Would be cool if she could switch between ranged and melee, considering she whacks people with close ranged attacks in some of her limit breaks.

OP
OP
ArkhamFantasy

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
She will most likely be a ranged character and throw big shurikens as basic attacks

Melee:
Cloud
Tifa
Nanaki
Cid
Cait Sith

Ranged:
Barret
Vincent
Yuffie

Would be cool if she could switch between ranged and melee, considering she whacks people with close ranged attacks in some of her limit breaks.

Yeah, it would be cool if she were a hybrid character that can do both, not the best melee character, not the best ranged character, but versatile.

OP
OP
ArkhamFantasy

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
I don't doubt that there will be lots of side content, most JRPGs have at least 10 hours worth. Witcher 3 sold 20+ million copies and got tons of GOTY awards because of it's side quests....that were just as good as most games mainline quests.

Quality is what matters, and everything they've shown has been ultra high quality.

msia2k75

Nov 1, 2017
That's gotta be the end of the game, no? If they stick to the idea of just doing Midgar. They you get to the end of the road and fight the big mech dude with spiky wheels. And then you enter the big bad beautiful overworld.

No... Just look at the motorcycle. It's a different one compared to the original game. There seems to be several motorcycle chases in the new game.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
I wonder if they've pushed up the Sephiroth/Cloud Nibelheim flashback to happen in Midgar instead of it taking place in Kalm. The trailer clearly shows Sephiroth in front of the Shinra mansion and surrounded by flames like in the original, but that only happens after visiting Kalm in the OG.

I just got out of Midgar in the OG version on PC and it took me five hours. No clue how they'll stretch the story to 25-30 hours at that point unless battles are just much longer or something. Or maybe more areas are opened up.

I'm so excited for this game!

Tetsujin

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
That's gotta be the end of the game, no? If they stick to the idea of just doing Midgar. Then you get to the end of the road and fight the big mech dude with spiky wheels. And then you enter the big bad beautiful overworld.

Actually, this MUST be something else because Jessie is there!

It's in the train tunnels. Biggs and Wedge are on a bike too, definitely earlier in the game. There's likely more than one motorcycle section in this one.

I wonder if they've pushed up the Sephiroth/Cloud Nibelheim flashback to happen in Midgar instead of it taking place in Kalm. The trailer clearly shows Sephiroth in front of the Shinra mansion and surrounded by flames like in the original, but that only happens after visiting Kalm in the OG.

That's not the Shinra mansion, it's in Midgar. I assume everytime Cloud hallucinates Sephiroth, the environment will look on fire. When Cloud attacks Sephiroth and he disappears, the flames disappear too but Cloud is still in the same location.

JuanLatino

Cerny’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
oh man how awesome would it be if you could drive around in Midgar with a motorcycle.
Plz make it happen

latest

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
It's in the train tunnels. Biggs and Wedge are on a bike too, definitely earlier in the game. There's likely more than one motorcycle section in this one.

That's not the Shinra mansion, it's in Midgar. I assume everytime Sephiroth appears, the environment will look on fire. When Cloud attacks Sephiroth and he disappears, the flames disappear too but Cloud is still in the same location.

This might turn out to be the game of the forever. So much hype.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I just got out of Midgar in the OG version on PC and it took me five hours. No clue how they'll stretch the story to 25-30 hours at that point unless battles are just much longer or something. Or maybe more areas are opened up.

I'm so excited for this game!
The Sephiroth illusion is in Midgar not the Shinra mansion.

And I doubt they're going to move the Nibelheim flashback. That flashback will be the perfect opener for Part 2.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
oh man how awesome would it be if you could drive around in Midgar with a motorcycle.
Plz make it happen

latest

I now need this to happen. Give us some side quests where you need to visit different sectors of Midgar.

That's it! That's how they'll stretch it! In the OG you really only spend time in sectors 5, 6, and 7. Plenty more than that exists in Midgar proper.

Status
Not open for further replies.