• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should this thread contain open spoilers?

• Yes

Votes: 1,406 73.4%
  • No

Votes: 510 26.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Peradam

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Jan 11, 2018
I got to the payment page before thinking "maybe I should compare them" and realised it was an extra £180 for the figure and carbuncle summon, and I don't collect figures. I thought the soundtrack / art book / steel case would be somewhat different in the 1st Class edition, but nope, so I went with the Deluxe instead.

You're quite clearly overlooking the most important and symbolic part of this screen.

Eggs & Chips. FF7 remake confirmed for superior use of the word chip in the English language
First thing I thought as well when I saw that, hah

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
Finally caught up with the trailer and presentation. It didn't disappoint. It was an amazing showcase.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
D8wLEb1UYAA0M51.jpg

Hot dam Biggs is fine

Charlie Sheen?

I'm really upset about how they have gone with Barret. Especially after watching Tim Rogers' FF7 Localisation video series "Let's Mosey." The entire Mr. T affectation is garbage and it's not who the Japanese character is. It was dated when the rushed translator invented it in 97 and it's super dated and corny now.

At least they got rid of the gratuitous cussing.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
here we go - perfection!!

PIeF6Yj.gif

Just want to run around Midgar and the world and compare to prerendered bgs. Forget chasing Sephiroth.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
The playing as individual characters thing might fuck up my party. I never use Tifa but she looks fun to control so I wonder how the others will end up. I wonder who the funnest to play as will be.

Hopefully my normal Cloud Yuffie Vincent(rip Cid) party is fun.

CosmicGP

Oct 28, 2017
Square-Enix couldn't manage a slice of cheese between toasted bread. Trusting them to deliver several high-quality remake episodes is beyond my comprehension.

I'll be waiting a good while before pitching a dime in on this. The visuals look good though.

I will buy this day one and it will sate me, then I'll be happy to finish the rest of the chapters on my deathbed.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
Square-Enix couldn't manage a slice of cheese between toasted bread. Trusting them to deliver several high-quality remake episodes is beyond my comprehension.

I'll be waiting a good while before pitching a dime in on this. The visuals look good though.
I get where you're coming from and I was right there with you, but tonight's showing has won me over. Perhaps it's all smoke and mirrors, but if the trailer and demo are representative of the final product then I'm a believer. Maybe, just maybe, the magnitude of this project has lit a fire under the staff at Square Enix and they'll do whatever it takes to deliver something worthy of FF7's legacy. That's my hope.

SomaXD

Oct 27, 2017
Same. I couldn't afford my own copy of FFVII for several years back in the day due to being a poor college student so it felt pretty dam great to preorder that thing. :D
Lol, i havent splurged on a CE like this since Last of Us Post Pandemic... i got the Deluxe FFXV (steelbook) but bought the Play Arts Noctis Separately...

This is gonna look nice next to Noctis lol.

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
I get where you're coming from and I was right there with you, but tonight's showing has won me over. Perhaps it's all smoke and mirrors, but if the trailer and demo are representative of the final product then I'm a believer. Maybe, just maybe, the magnitude of this project has lit a fire under the staff at Square Enix and they'll do whatever it takes to deliver something worthy of FF7's legacy. That's my hope.

I hope so too, man. I really do.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
If Midgar is going to be the first part...how many parts are there going to be? 4?
They've shown nothing outside of Midgar but they've also shown absolutely nothing to indicate any sort of expansion of Midgar making it a 20+ hour game or whatever. Seems like it could go either way but a later reveal of outside Midgar seems more likely imo.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
They've shown nothing outside of Midgar but they've also shown absolutely nothing to indicate any sort of expansion of Midgar making it a 20+ hour game or whatever. Seems like it could go either way but a later reveal of outside Midgar seems more likely imo.
I don't know if I'd say that - that scene with Sephiroth, those scenes with Jesse on the bike, that evil smoke with Aeris; it's been a bit, but I don't recall those being in the original game. Maybe that's just what makes it a remake? Who knows. That boss battle certainly seemed far more complex too. It'd be wild if they're saving some of the post escape stuff for a reveal at TGS or whatever, because I could believe that they're already giving up 20+ hours based on what I've seen.

Lil Peanut Brotha

Motion Graphics Artist at Riot Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
CA, USA
Wow. I was extremely skeptical as I really didn't like, and at times hated the last few FF's. Barrett's voice acting still really bugs me, but overall I was super impressed and can't wait now! The combat system seems like a really nice middle ground, as I was afraid it wouldn't ever slow down and get tactical. And dear lord it's gorgeous, my pro awaits thee!

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I don't know if I'd say that - that scene with Sephiroth, those scenes with Jesse on the bike, that evil smoke with Aeris; it's been a bit, but I don't recall those being in the original game. Maybe that's just what makes it a remake? Who knows. That boss battle certainly seemed far more complex too. It'd be wild if they're saving some of the post escape stuff for a reveal at TGS or whatever, because I could believe that they're already giving up 20+ hours based on what I've seen.
Well we'll see. Like I said I could see it going either way now but none of those seem like big expansions to me (Sephiroth especially) but from what they've shown so far, if part 1 really is just Midgar then I'd expect a 7 part game lol.

CocoaFusion

Oct 28, 2017
Well we'll see. Like I said I could see it going either way now but none of those seem like big expansions to me (Sephiroth especially) but from what they've shown so far, if part 1 really is just Midgar then I'd expect a 7 part game lol.
They said they're greatly expanding on Midgar and delving further into the AVALANCHE members among other things for story. The new portions definitely looked like it

signal

Oct 28, 2017
They said they're greatly expanding on Midgar and delving further into the AVALANCHE members among other things for story. The new portions definitely looked like it
They look more like changes that might happen when not making a scene for scene remake rather than padded content meant to expand Midgar to 4 or 5 times its original length. To moi anyway.

Jessie on the motorcycle was the only kind of out there thing. Biggs and Wedge talking to Barret and Sephiroth are close enough to the original, and the Aerith blackdust stuff could be anything.

CocoaFusion

Oct 28, 2017
They look more like changes that might happen when not making a scene for scene remake rather than padded content meant to expand Midgar to 4 or 5 times its original length. To moi anyway.
It's just one trailer but it's what they said in interviews many times. And Kitase straight up said this in the conference. 7 parts make no sense for each full game comparable to XIII trilogy.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
It's just one trailer but it's what they said in interviews many times. And Kitase straight up said this in the conference. 7 parts make no sense for each full game comparable to XIII trilogy.
7 was a joke based on part 1 being only Midgar. 3 parts wouldn't make sense in that case either though.

And they said what in interview many times?

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
This is the problem my friend..

2 or 3.. I'm afraid they are cutting like 80% of the game. I'm not talking story here but places, open world, towns etc...

God I hope I'm wrong
Yeah this is my big fear. If this first part is Midgar, either this is going to be a massive, 4+ part miniseries within the FF brand (and as such take forever to come out) or they're going to cut at huge, huge parts of the game. Midgar was like...15-20% of the original game.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
1 - Midgar
2 - To the end of Junon
3 - To the end of Nibelheim
4 - To the end of North Crater
5 - Until Cloud is back
6 - The finale

With no world map.

And then Ff16 afterwards.

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
FFXIII stagger was lowkey the hypest part

Me seeing 'stagger' come up:
giphy.gif

I always found staggering an enemy in FFXIII to be really satisfying, it was great to see it return.

FF7Rwallpaper.png

Dayum they lookin fire

Stupid sexy FFVII cast. They look so good.

(...Barret has more cleavage that Tifa. What a world.)

Oh look, my new wallpaper.

Yep, ha.

CocoaFusion

Oct 28, 2017
7 was a joke based on part 1 being only Midgar. 3 parts wouldn't make sense in that case either though.

And they said what in interview many times?
Okay good I was like "what how would they do 7 lol" and I mean there's no real precedent for how 3 parts would or wouldn't make sense since they're expanding midgar like that. Same rules my apply to the next portions is why I don't really know.

And that them delving further into stories like that and expanding.

Oddhouse

Oct 31, 2017

Below is the official text. I think there are two ways to interpret it. Either there are two discs for just this episode, or that there are two discs for the whole game and episode 1 is on the first disc.

What do you think ?

"Remaking Final Fantasy VII has allowed us to dive much deeper into the world and its characters than ever before," said producer Yoshinori Kitase. "The game design was optimized for this title as well, and we anticipate two Blu-Ray discs' worth of gameplay content. The first game in this project expands on the story of Midgar and is such an elaborate retelling that it's become a solid standalone game in its own right."

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That makes it sound like the remake we're getting in 2020 only covers Midgar, and is 2 blu rays

... which is insane

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
Below is the official text. I think there are two ways to interpret it. Either there are two discs for just this episode, or that there are two discs for the whole game and episode 1 is on the first disc.

What do you think ?

"Remaking Final Fantasy VII has allowed us to dive much deeper into the world and its characters than ever before," said producer Yoshinori Kitase. "The game design was optimized for this title as well, and we anticipate two Blu-Ray discs' worth of gameplay content. The first game in this project expands on the story of Midgar and is such an elaborate retelling that it's become a solid standalone game in its own right."
The wording is vague enough that I can see multiple readings of it, and then there's the "lost in translation" factor.

Really hoping we get a solid answer before the week is through.

signal

Oct 28, 2017

What do you think ?

K well no way Midgar itself is 2 discs lol. A multipart game with each part being 2 discs is possible, or the complete game across 2 discs is also possible, but a single part 1 of just Midgar across two discs??

Though this does ruin my dumb joke fantasy about having separate individual blu rays for both Knights of the Round and Supernova.

Status
Not open for further replies.