• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should this thread contain open spoilers?

• Yes

Votes: 1,406 73.4%
  • No

Votes: 510 26.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
FFVII has such a perfect ending that any sequel would be inherently disappointing by its very nature.

500 Years Later. Nanaki and his cubs crest a hill to see the ruined Midgar. You know you (and the planet) won, and nothing else. Perfection

I like Advent Children, but I really wish it didn't exist.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
Do people generally like the movie? I remmeber liking it as a youngester but not having any narrative takeaway from it. Then I watched it when I was a bit older and remember thinking it was bad, and I still have no narrative takeawy from it. I hardly remember anything at all, except some disease and 2 twins + a suitcase = sephiroth

edit: wow so many typos

also I liked the flash/action though of course

Last edited:

Deleted member 179

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do people generally like the movie? I remmeber liking it as a youngester but not having any narrative takeaway from it. Then I watched it when I was a bit older and remember thinking it was bad, and I still have no narrative takeawy from it. I hardly remember anything at all, except some disease and 2 twins + a suitcase = sephiroth
I loved it as a kid. Watching it as an adult it's obviously not as good but I still ilke it. These characters mean a lot to me so I'm always down to watch their story some more. Also, twins = Sephi remnant, remnant + briefcase that is Jenova = Sephi

OP
OP
ArkhamFantasy

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
So...what about a remaster/remake of Crisis Core? What do you guys think about it?

The common theory is that the game has licensing issues that are preventing it from getting any type of re-release (probably Gackt related). His character is prominently featured throughout the game, it's not something they can just patch out. They asked Tabata about it a couple of years ago and he said something to the effect of "Uh...that's not part of the plan".

But yes, it would be great if they did. They've re-released Final Fantasy games that were significantly less successful than Crisis Core.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FFVII has such a perfect ending that any sequel would be inherently disappointing by its very nature.

500 Years Later. Nanaki and his cubs crest a hill to see the ruined Midgar. You know you (and the planet) won, and nothing else. Perfection

They could set FFVII-2 500 years after FFVII if that's your problem.

Brot

Oct 25, 2017
the edge
Being hyped for the remake made me think about the music and how it's going to sound like. While looking for live orchestra performances on YouTube, I stumbled upon this really fantastic Jenova arrangement on this Canadian orchestra channel with measly 19k subs.

Their FF7 medley is pretty good, too

I can't wait to hear the new OST in the remake.

Last edited:

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if we will only get an extended trailers at E3 but will hope a big event later in the year with a release date like they did with FFXV.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm counting the days. I also want to know

-Release date (im 90% sure we'll get this or a release window)
-Is this game midgar only (not sure if they'll answer this or not)
-How many games will there be (again, not sure if they'll answer this or not)

There's also the concert before the conference where I think we will get some info too.

OP
OP
ArkhamFantasy

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
I also think they should come out and say the game is Midgar only, even if it's not.

If it is Midgar only, you need to get that information out so you don't have people disappointed when the credits start rolling, even if they really love the game there could be a negative pushback because the players were expecting more, best to get this type of information out well before launch so people can adjust their expectations.

If the game actually lets you go outside, even for a little bit, you still tell people that it's Midgar only, that way whenever they do get to go outside its a big surprise and the players will be over-joyed.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I won't get into it now but personally I hate the shit out of the original ending.

I hope the Remake at least has an epilogue chapter or something. Those who want their untarnished original ending can stop where they are, the rest can get something extra afterwards.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I won't get into it now but personally I hate the shit out of the original ending.

I hope the Remake at least has an epilogue chapter or something. Those who want their untarnished original ending can stop where they are, the rest can get something extra afterwards.

I'm sure Kazushige Nojima will be excited to write an epilogue chapter set after the original ending

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Like if they're explicitly showing Aerith at the end using the Lifestream to stop the Meteor, why would the popular theory be "welp I guess she killed all humanity and her friends LOL"?

(okay maybe I'm getting into it a little)

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
The problem is Square KNOWS the fanbase wouldn't have that. And I don't mean casual FF fans, but those rabid FFVII fans from back in the day that are still rabid FFVII nowadays. That is why they made a conscious decision to make the FFVII Compilation take place within a ten year time span around FFVII itself. Y'know, "So Cloud, Tifa, and even Sephiroth could make appearances!!!!" and make the fanboys wet their pants. Everybody knows FFVII is "The Cloud and Sephiroth game".

Personally speaking, I'm the type of person that, after a good adventure, I'm content with the game. I don't want to see more with these characters. They've earned their rest, their peaceful lives. Something 500 years later? Sure, because you aren't weighed down by most of the original cast and you have some leeway to do something new. Something during the time of the Cetra... I'm also up for this. Revolve it around the Calamity from the Skies era, when Jenova FIRST arrived on the Planet and started corrupting the people and animals. Make our heroes the Cetra that sealed Jenova away. I don't want another "Cloud vs Sephiroth" game. And don't get me wrong, I love Cloud and Sephiroth, but as a FFVII that followed it before it's release, up until and after, loving every minute of it, too much of a good thing ain't good at all. I HATED the FFVII Compilation.

Ruruja

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if we will only get an extended trailers at E3 but will hope a big event later in the year with a release date like they did with FFXV.

I was thinking this too. imagine how much of an anti-climax it would be if they just showed a slightly different trailer haha.

We're all here expecting a sea of information.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The problem is Square KNOWS the fanbase wouldn't have that. And I don't mean casual FF fans, but those rabid FFVII fans from back in the day that are still rabid FFVII nowadays. That is why they made a conscious decision to make the FFVII Compilation take place within a ten year time span around FFVII itself. Y'know, "So Cloud, Tifa, and even Sephiroth could make appearances!!!!" and make the fanboys wet their pants. Everybody knows FFVII is "The Cloud and Sephiroth game".

Personally speaking, I'm the type of person that, after a good adventure, I'm content with the game. I don't want to see more with these characters. They've earned their rest, their peaceful lives. Something 500 years later? Sure, because you aren't weighed down by most of the original cast and you have some leeway to do something new. Something during the time of the Cetra... I'm also up for this. Revolve it around the Calamity from the Skies era, when Jenova FIRST arrived on the Planet and started corrupting the people and animals. Make our heroes the Cetra that sealed Jenova away. I don't want another Cloud vs Sephiroth game.

Cloud was barely in Dirge of Cerberus though.

Sephiroth though can definitely appear 500 years later. He will never be a memory!

Also they could just have a descendant of Cloud as the protagonist (which would explain why Sephiroth would oppose him).

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
I don't trust S-E doing a sequel to FF VII if the stupid Compilation and any sequel to mainline FFs they've made have taught me something. And I really don't need that either.

I guess a sizable DLC/expansion wouldn't be too bad. I could see them recreating the overall points of, say, AC under this genuinely good visual style.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
FFVII would also be good for a prequel. Either early Shinra days (Vincent's time), The Ancients vs. JENOVA, something like that.

I think the best settings have already been taken though. Crisis Core and Before Crisis were both great. A Before Crisis remake with actual good gameplay and something beyond Flash-game graphics would be awesome, especially because it never released in the west and ties in with Crisis Core in such prominent ways. Rufus was also a boss in that game, and you got to see Seph on the battlefield while he was still a hero. So good.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
FFVII would also be good for a prequel. Either early Shinra days (Vincent's time), The Ancients vs. JENOVA, something like that.

I think the best settings have already been taken though. Crisis Core and Before Crisis were both great. A Before Crisis remake with actual good gameplay and something beyond Flash-game graphics would be awesome, especially because it never released in the west and ties in with Crisis Core in such prominent ways. Rufus was also a boss in that game, and you got to see Seph on the battlefield while he was still a hero. So good.
Not that I want it to happen, but, according to Nomura, FF VII Remake is its own new continuity, detached from the original FF VII (obviously) and the Compilation, so they could theoretically create a new Compilation with it reimagining stuff from the previous media, whatever form it takes (videogames, DLCs, books...).

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not that I want it to happen, but, according to Nomura, FF VII Remake is its own new continuity, detached from the original FF VII (obviously) and the Compilation, so they could theoretically create a new Compilation with it reimagining stuff from the previous media, whatever form it takes (videogames, DLCs, books...).

They're already reimagining Compilation stuff, what with Sephiroth's unique black wing in the promo wallpaper.

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I hope theres an option to use the original ost for this game. I just feel there are some theme that just won't be as good as the original, for example Birth of a God.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
They're already reimagining Compilation stuff, what with Sephiroth's unique black wing in the promo wallpaper.
Oh, yeah, you're right. In case anyone's wondering:
final-fantasy-vii-remake.jpg

Ugh, I hope they tone that shit down hard. Not a fan of it.

BTW, it seems Sephiroth's shoulder pads are different compared to that CG render. They look more like the original now, so that's nice:
Sephiroth-350x197.jpg

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017

Sephiroth though can definitely appear 500 years later. He will never be a memory!

Also they could just have a descendant of Cloud as the protagonist (which would explain why Sephiroth would oppose him).
Cloud was stil in Dirge of Cerberus, just a cameo, like in Before Crisis (even though he might've been in there more).

The whole "I will never be a memory" thing was just AC shit, though.

500 years they COULD have Cloud's descendant, but I'd rather Sephiroth just... nah. Hell, if they wanted descendant vs descendant, they should've fucked off of AC and just have Cloud descendant battling Sephiroth's remnant. Have Kadaj (alone, no brothers), be the lone bit of Sephroth's spiritual energy that took 500 years to be willed into physical form. That he sense that he must do something, that he IS something important and must search for that answer himself. It might lead him into a different, yet similar direction to his predecessor. The possibilities could've been great.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
i believe ff7 will have season pass and story DLC
I am sure it will have DLC but not sure about season pass tbh.... Nomura said he doesn't like the idea of season pass and that's why KH3 doesn't have one... so I kinda expect similar for FF7R.... unless Kitase forces it to have one.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am sure it will have DLC but not sure about season pass tbh.... Nomura said he doesn't like the idea of season pass and that's why KH3 doesn't have one... so I kinda expect similar for FF7R.... unless Kitase forces it to have one.
yeah i remember that, but i think hashimoto and kitase will say to do it, maybe it will have different directors like FFXV, if nomura doesnt want it.

Feb 16, 2018
Replaying the original currently and I hope the Corel storyline with Barret is much stronger in the remake. There's good potential for good story arc and backstory but I felt really undercooked in the original if you ask me. Just needed to be fleshed out so much more.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Replaying the original currently and I hope the Corel storyline with Barret is much stronger in the remake. There's good potential for good story arc and backstory but I felt really undercooked in the original if you ask me. Just needed to be fleshed out so much more.
Nah I'm okay with that. I'm more worried how they'll handle the tonal roller coaster that's FF7. After Barret's Best friend kills himself you're on a Chocobo race 5 minutes later. After Aeris dies you're on a fun snowboard going downhill and collecting balloons. How they'll handle that I'm very intrigued.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, yeah, you're right. In case anyone's wondering:
final-fantasy-vii-remake.jpg

Ugh, I hope they tone that shit down hard. Not a fan of it.

BTW, it seems Sephiroth's shoulder pads are different compared to that CG render. They look more like the original now, so that's nice:
Sephiroth-350x197.jpg
yeah this was interesting. Curious why they went back to his original design (not that I am complaining..)

Feb 16, 2018
Nah I'm okay with that. I'm more worried how they'll handle the tonal roller coaster that's FF7. After Barret's Best friend kills himself you're on a Chocobo race 5 minutes later. After Aeris dies you're on a fun snowboard going downhill and collecting balloons. How they'll handle that I'm very intrigued.
Oh for sure, I'm very curious how they'll handle all the weird quirky moments that are in the original.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
^ A big fan Max, glad your here as well to join in the festivities

that's why im in favor of minimizing or atleast properly pacing certain comedic or weird segments away from each other, if not outright deleting a lot of that shit. Most of the hard hitting parts of the story are the dark shit, and the original game would have been called a tonal car wreck if the story had been put out as it had been today, it only got away with it because of how rudimentary a lot of gaming storytelling and pacing was at the time.

There have to be light moments to balance the bad, but i can see why Compilation was as dark as it was.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019

Personally speaking, I'm the type of person that, after a good adventure, I'm content with the game. I don't want to see more with these characters. They've earned their rest, their peaceful lives. Something 500 years later? Sure, because you aren't weighed down by most of the original cast and you have some leeway to do something new. Something during the time of the Cetra... I'm also up for this. Revolve it around the Calamity from the Skies era, when Jenova FIRST arrived on the Planet and started corrupting the people and animals. Make our heroes the Cetra that sealed Jenova away. I don't want another "Cloud vs Sephiroth" game. And don't get me wrong, I love Cloud and Sephiroth, but as a FFVII that followed it before it's release, up until and after, loving every minute of it, too much of a good thing ain't good at all. I HATED the FFVII Compilation.

Cloud was stil in Dirge of Cerberus, just a cameo, like in Before Crisis (even though he might've been in there more).

The whole "I will never be a memory" thing was just AC shit, though.

500 years they COULD have Cloud's descendant, but I'd rather Sephiroth just... nah. Hell, if they wanted descendant vs descendant, they should've fucked off of AC and just have Cloud descendant battling Sephiroth's remnant. Have Kadaj (alone, no brothers), be the lone bit of Sephroth's spiritual energy that took 500 years to be willed into physical form. That he sense that he must do something, that he IS something important and must search for that answer himself. It might lead him into a different, yet similar direction to his predecessor. The possibilities could've been great.

Honestly, I would forget all about that 500 years later thing & pretend that it never existed.

Status
Not open for further replies.