• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should this thread contain open spoilers?

• Yes

Votes: 1,406 73.4%
  • No

Votes: 510 26.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Now that the demo is out, we can openly talk about the twisty twist at the end?

Is this Kitase/Nomura trying to take the terror out of this band of eco-terrorists?

And why would Cloud/Barret even set a timer and bother to run away so desperately for such a pitiful explosion that barely does anything lol.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
Now that the demo is out, we can openly talk about the twisty twist at the end?

Is this Kitase/Nomura trying to take the terror out of this band of eco-terrorists?

And why would Cloud/Barret even set a timer and bother to run away so desperately for such a pitiful explosion that barely does anything lol.
I actually think the twist is more to harden Shinra than to soften Avalanche.

Like, we know Avalanche is going to continue despite the giant explosion they may not have expected, so clearly they decide they're okay with it.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I actually think the twist is more to harden Shinra than to soften Avalanche.

Like, we know Avalanche is going to continue despite the giant explosion they may not have expected, so clearly they decide they're okay with it.
What I don't like about it is that it makes no sense for Shinra. They utterly destroyed something that they probably could've fixed. Where's the upside here? Surely making Avalanche look worse isn't worth the financial fallout.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
What I don't like about it is that it makes no sense for Shinra. They utterly destroyed something that they probably could've fixed. Where's the upside here? Surely making Avalanche look worse isn't worth the financial fallout.
I think Avalanche is being framed as Wutai terrorists by Shinra so that they can legitimize the war against Wutai.

Samawati

Sep 15, 2019
It was always implied in the original. Its just really subtle so most people completely miss it
It really wasn't. The disbelief that Avalanche feel realising the scale and magnitude of their actions was just a convenient avenue for a retcon.

At no point is
Shin-Ra's actually being responsible
implied anywhere. Not even in the Compilation that makes much ado about the blood on their hands and their guilt.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Based on a line from the main theme trailer, this appears to be a set up to invade Wutai.

Shit is dumb.

Reanimatoin

Oct 26, 2017
Cleethorpes UK
It really wasn't. The disbelief that Avalanche feel realising the scale and magnitude of their actions was just a convenient avenue for a retcon.

At no point is
Shin-Ra's actually being responsible
implied anywhere. Not even in the Compilation that makes much ado about the blood on their hands and their guilt.
Yes it is, like I said, it's REALLY subtle.

Speak to Jessie in the hideout after the first mission and she mentions that the explosion shouldnt have been as large as it was. She thinks that she made a mistake with the bomb despite following instructions. Then in the 2nd reactor bombing, Shinra straight up admit to blowing up that reactor to try to kill Avalanche. "Such a waste of good fireworks" and the reactor explodes in the exact same fashion.

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
Had a blast on my first play through and expect I'll like it more as I adjust to the controls and pace.

I do hope I can turn off the numbers. Gets a little busy on screen which interferes with my ability to read opponents. Good news is against harder enemies like shock troopers and the scorpion, I got my ass kicked when just button mashing

Samawati

Sep 15, 2019
Yes it is, like I said, it's REALLY subtle.

Speak to Jessie in the hideout after the first mission and she mentions that the explosion shouldnt have been as large as it was. She thinks that she made a mistake with the bomb despite following instructions. Then in the 2nd reactor bombing, Shinra straight up admit to blowing up that reactor to try to kill Avalanche. "Such a waste of good fireworks" and the reactor explodes in the exact same fashion.
I know exactly what you're talking about, dude. I've also played the game. Jessie going "whoopsie" is a HUGE leap from
Shin-Ra did it, actually
. You can't really say that it's an "implication" when there was literally nothing to support that interpretation in the rest of the game or even rest of the franchise. I think it's safe to say it was not meant to be understood that way when they have Reeve take great pains to castigate the protagonists for their hypocrisy and take even greater pains talking about the debt the characters feel for the evil they've done.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I don't remember anything about this Wutai stuff.

Anyway I got a question that's always been nagging me. Cloud is a fake SOLDIER, right? He never got any training. Where did his mad skillz come from then.

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I know exactly what you're talking about, dude. I've also played the game. Jessie going "whoopsie" is a HUGE leap from
Shin-Ra did it, actually
. You can't really say that it's an "implication" when there was literally nothing to support that interpretation in the rest of the game or even rest of the franchise. I think it's safe to say it was not meant to be understood that way when they have Reeve take great pains to castigate the protagonists for their hypocrisy and take even greater pains talking about the debt the characters feel for the evil they've done.
Yeah, the bolded is why I put absolutely not stock in the interpretation that
Shinra intentionally destroyed the reactor
in the original. It's clearly not the intention of the writers and Jessie's dialogue is more likely meant to be her shock at the realization of the gravity of what they're doing and must continue to do.

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Anyway I got a question that's always been nagging me. Cloud is a fake SOLDIER, right? He never got any training. Where did his mad skillz come from then.

he's copying Zack in a way

also Before Crisis suggested he was just a real natural swordsman

Turin

Oct 27, 2017

I think all members of the Shinra army cover all the basics but SOLDIERS have enhancement which Cloud got after Hojo poked and prodded at him.

Exellus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Square Enix could release this game in 20 parts spread over 30 years and have the total cost be thousands of dollars, and I would smile and buy every single bit of it if they keep delivering quality on the level they've shown so far.

And anyone who isn't cool with that - kindly get off the train.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
he's copying Zack in a way

also Before Crisis suggested he was just a real natural swordsman
Well how convenient! :p
I think all members of the Shinra army cover all the basics but SOLDIERS have enhancement which Cloud got after Hojo poked and prodded at him.
Hojo put Jenova cells to Cloud in the Nibel Manor basement.
That explains his apparent superhuman strength, but not his swordfighting ability. I guess it's just a thing.

Kat Bailey

Host - Axe of the Blood God
Verified
Jan 5, 2018
Since all the previews are dropping, here's what I had to say over on USgamer https://www.usgamer.net/articles/final-fantasy-7-remake-preview-february-2020

"I guess my greatest hope for Final Fantasy 7 Remake is that it manages to maintain the suspense, the melancholy, and the deep sense of mystery that defined the original. I hope we get to see the scene where Aerith's adopted mother watches as returning soldiers go to their loved ones, but she is alone. I hope we get a feel for the rhythm of life in Midgar without being hit with flashbacks every few steps. I hope when Cloud and Aerith sit on the playground equipment and talk, they aren't suddenly assaulted by ghosts."

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
"Everyone knows who Sephiroth is now, so it didn't make sense to hide him."

Well, that's not really the issue. The Sephiroth you chase for most of the game isn't really Sephiroth, so he can't appear until Jenova breaks out of its tank.

Something tells me the earlier Sephiroth appearances will just be Clouds imagination. We've seen him cut through Sephiroth who just turns to smoke pretty much. I think when the "Jenova" Sephiroth appears hell actually block Clouds sword instead of turn to smoke. Signaling that something is different. Like the scene from the latest trailer.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
Something tells me the earlier Sephiroth appearances will just be Clouds imagination. We've seen him cut through Sephiroth who just turns to smoke pretty much. I think when the "Jenova" Sephiroth appears hell actually block Clouds sword instead of turn to smoke. Signaling that something is different. Like the scene from the latest trailer.
Yeah, I think that, too. Which would be fine.

I think that scene in the trailer gives away too much, though, since Sephiroth turns into Jenova.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
Went back and forth on if I was going to play the demo but I'm going to attempt to hold out.

I managed to avoid the temptation to look at spoilers for this long so I think I can hold out on playing the demo for just over a month.

Saleal

May 24, 2019
ah let them keep talking, just so long as they stay in their lane, i mean it's not like something we already knew for almost a year and they're bringing it up again, like they have so many times we get big news. if they cannot understand the work that it would take to get something of this scale in one game without cutting out a significant amount of content, then that is their own business and fault.

Ozymandias

Jun 9, 2018
Based on a line from the main theme trailer, this appears to be a set up to invade Wutai.

Shit is dumb.

Invade Wutai? wtf lmao Shinra literally rules Wutai after the war previous to the events of the game. The more time passes, the more I'm certain the Square Enix of today has no business doing this remake.

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
So did SE ever say when FFVIIR - Part 2 is coming out?? TBH I'm holding out till all parts of the game are in a GOTY edition or something. Played the original and can't bother playing this in pieces. Hopefully Part 2,3,4,etc come out within the next 2-3 years when I'll finally play the entire game.

Tetsujin

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
So did SE ever say when FFVIIR - Part 2 is coming out?? TBH I'm holding out till all parts of the game are in a GOTY edition or something. Played the original and can't bother playing this in pieces. Hopefully Part 2,3,4,etc come out within the next 2-3 years when I'll finally play the entire game.

I'd expect part 2 in 3 years to be honest.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
That's not gonna happen. VIIR Part 2/3/etc won't be telltale style episodes but will instead be full games if Square's plan goes through. So we're hoping to see Part 2 alone in 2-3 years, and part 3 a couple years after that. Basically better to think of this as a series of games rather than a single game.

Peacemillian

Oct 25, 2017
Invade Wutai? wtf lmao Shinra literally rules Wutai after the war previous to the events of the game. The more time passes, the more I'm certain the Square Enix of today has no business doing this remake.

None of this has to be as cut and dry in the remake as it was in the original.
ShinRa beat Wutai, creating anti ShinRa terrorist cells around the world, which is why they want to finish the job. The Wutai war will probably play a much larger role in the ShinRa storyline than it did in the original, to the extent I fully expect there to be a huge materia in Wutai for the final part. Culminating in a huge battle between Wutai/our heroes and ShinRa.

Quit your hyperbolic nonsense.

Scrooge McDuck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
None of this has to be as cut and dry in the remake as it was in the original.
ShinRa beat Wutai, creating anti ShinRa terrorist cells around the world, which is why they want to finish the job. The Wutai war will probably play a much larger role in the ShinRa storyline than it did in the original, to the extent I fully expect there to be a huge materia in Wutai for the final part. Culminating in a huge battle between Wutai/our heroes and ShinRa.
I just want the Wutai capital to actually feels like a capital city and not that tiny resort in the original game. If elevating Wutai from a sidequest to an important plot point is what it'd take, so be it.

Reanimatoin

Oct 26, 2017
Cleethorpes UK
I asked in the demo thread, but its moving at a million miles an hour so nobody answered.
I'll spoiler tag it, but its just mechanics based, no content spoilers

Has anyone figured out what the berserk status effect you can get on Cloud actually does? You can activate it by doing his hold attack in punisher mode, but I dont know what it does. It doesnt act like berserk does in the old game since you still have access to your abilities. If you look at the icon legend, it's in the same category as Fury and Sadness.

Emerald

Oct 25, 2017
I asked in the demo thread, but its moving at a million miles an hour so nobody answered.
I'll spoiler tag it, but its just mechanics based, no content spoilers

Has anyone figured out what the berserk status effect you can get on Cloud actually does? You can activate it by doing his hold attack in punisher mode, but I dont know what it does. It doesnt act like berserk does in the old game since you still have access to your abilities. If you look at the icon legend, it's in the same category as Fury and Sadness.
Increased damage done, and increased damage taken as far as im aware.

clockstrikes

Oct 27, 2017
Deleted? What did it say?

It was an ad for a PS4 top cover and wearable neck speakers!

www.jp.playstation.com

本日より受注開始!『FFVII リメイク』とコラボしたPS4®トップカバー&ウェアラブルネックスピーカー登場!!

ソニーストアでは、4月10日(金)発売予定のPlayStation®4用ソフトウェア『FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE』(ファイナルファンタジーVII リメイク)とコラボレーションしたPS4トップカバーと […]

20200303-ff7r-02.png
20200303-ff7r-03.png

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
Aerth's summon animation is so cute and way better than Cloud's just holding his hand up in the air.

ultima786

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Demo Negatives:

1. Turn on free combo targeting. That helps a lot.
2. The only change they need to make is allowing Cloud to cancel his attacks and convos when you want to dodge. I kept eating that AOE electric attack from the Scorpion cuz I was in the middle of an attack.

Demo Positives:

1. So beautiful and nostalgic. Presentation is picture perfect
2. I love the characterizations and the dialogue quips. Feels like a fun animation that doesn't take itself overly seriously
3. Cloud is such a badass. They got him right.
4. How the hell does this rub so smoothly? No stutters anywhere! The only FPS drops I got were when I'd slide down the ladders fast. Perhaps the best looking game ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.