• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should this thread contain open spoilers?

• Yes

Votes: 1,406 73.4%
  • No

Votes: 510 26.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tetsujin

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
So somebody posted this on reddit, this site: https://www.sfsymphony.org/Buy-Tickets/2019-20/FINAL-FANTASY-VII-REMAKE-Orchestra-World-Tour

uses a native 8K image of Midgar:

CityView_1.jpg

The detail is freaking INSANE.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
So somebody posted this on reddit, this site: https://www.sfsymphony.org/Buy-Tickets/2019-20/FINAL-FANTASY-VII-REMAKE-Orchestra-World-Tour

CityView_1.jpg

I never realized before now that the plate the company destroys is right next to one that is completely unpopulated on the top layer. That's a fun subtle way of showing how evil they really are - they could have just baited Avalanche over or something.

Really hope we get to visit the upper Sector 7 plate in the remake, we didn't really get to see many of the people living up there in the original.

kukubrew

Nov 7, 2017
The reactor labels really make the pixelation of 0505 or 0404 contrast against all the detail of the rest of the city. The detail is amazing though. The roads all interconnect, under city is visible, sector 3 is powered with no lights in building windows, section 4 has a small section populated. So much thought, feeling and work put into that render. really makes me look forward to the game.

OP
OP
ArkhamFantasy

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm most interested in Brad Shoemakers impressions, he hasn't been a fan of FF since VI and rarely talks about JRPGs, but he seemed pleasantly surprised by what he played/saw at E3. If they can get people like him on board then 10 million and 90 opencritic is a real possibility.

ultima786

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm most interested in Brad Shoemakers impressions, he hasn't been a fan of FF since VI and rarely talks about JRPGs, but he seemed pleasantly surprised by what he played/saw at E3. If they can get people like him on board then 10 million and 90 opencritic is a real possibility.
Do you have a link to a video where he talks about it?

TLSLex

Oct 26, 2017
Scotland
Apparently Engadget's preview went up but quickly went down. Apparently Impressions are positive but very strange title to the article if so: "So far, 'Final Fantasy VII Remake' seems alright | Engadget"

This was the link before it went down: https://www.engadget.com/2020/02/28/final-fantasy-7-remake-preview/

This is the dude who mentioned it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xD9aSaDGHR0

Both that and the previous titles seem a bit loaded for an impressions piece don't they?

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
Apparently Engadget's preview went up but quickly went down. Apparently Impressions are positive but very strange title to the article if so: "So far, 'Final Fantasy VII Remake' seems alright | Engadget"

This was the link before it went down: https://www.engadget.com/2020/02/28/final-fantasy-7-remake-preview/

This is the dude who mentioned it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xD9aSaDGHR0
"Seems alright.."

Wut.. we in for some mixed previews I guess?

OP
OP
ArkhamFantasy

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Do you have a link to a video where he talks about it?

No, i can't even remember if it was on a bombcast or on their E3 coverage (where they have like ten hours of video). It wasn't a major segment or anything, he just mentioned that the game looked better than he thought it would, but again that could just be because his expectations for 3D FF games are low.

ultima786

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
"Seems alright.."

Wut.. we in for some mixed previews I guess?

I posted on reddit as well, and this was a comment: "Someone on Twitter screenshot it. It said "Final Fantasy VII Remake is not a disaster yet, but Square still refuses to show off the games downtime" which probably means the side quests and mini-games and all that."

Opinions are fine, but but this seems like a hot-take and almost stupid, unless I am misunderstanding. Why would Square's PR decisions impact the quality of the game? What does this have to do with it being or not being a disaster? Something is lost in translation I guess, so we'll see.

OP
OP
ArkhamFantasy

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
I expecting previews from people who will hate the game on the slightest deviation from the main story. It will be on a star wars level.

I'm less worried about that because E3 impressions were so positive, they seem to like the changes that have been made. I'm worried that the reviewer will play the game for 25-40 hours, enjoy the hell out of it, but talk about how it's a shame that it's not a "Complete game" in his review and give it an 8 instead of a 9 that he normally would give a game of that quality.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
I still just think it's going to be a not too massive action RPG. A really good one, but not anything close to a world changing title like FFVII was. There is this burden of the legacy this name brings and any game which is just 'a video game' is always going to seem like it's just 'alright' in comparison.

I've tempered my expectations long ago. I think the game will be fine and I think people are going to be upset it doesn't come close to making them feel like the original game did. I mean, it is just Midgar.

ultima786

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I posted on reddit as well, and this was a comment: "Someone on Twitter screenshot it. It said "Final Fantasy VII Remake is not a disaster yet, but Square still refuses to show off the games downtime" which probably means the side quests and mini-games and all that."

Opinions are fine, but but this seems like a hot-take and almost stupid, unless I am misunderstanding. Why would Square's PR decisions impact the quality of the game? What does this have to do with it being or not being a disaster? Something is lost in translation I guess, so we'll see.

So actually, the original title was "Final Fantasy Vii Remake is not a disaster yet, but Square still refuses to show off the games downtime."

It was changed to "Final Fantasy VII remake seems alright".

But then it was quickly taken down.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

CityView_1.jpg

I want Square to make a Yakuza-style game in one of the city's sectors. Fuck, considering how dense the sectors are, the game wouldn't even encompass an entire sector. But I don't care, I want it! Just fucking hire Nagoshi and let him do his magic lol.

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I want Square to make a Yakuza-style game in one of the city's sectors. Fuck, considering how dense the sectors are, the game wouldn't even encompass an entire sector. But I don't care, I want it! Just fucking hire Nagoshi and let him do his magic lol.
Turks game in that style would be pretty awesome to be honest

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Keep in mind that sometimes the title is decided completely independent of the journalist who wrote the article. It's whatever the editorial board thinks will generate the most clicks.

Mikch85

May 12, 2018
The title seems like someone is desperate to see the game fail. Especially when the preview is actually very positive, I guess putting "FF7 remake" and "disaster" is a great way to ensure tons of clicks.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
I actually feel like the title got chosen based on the conclusion at the end of the article. The editor has some doubts when it comes to side quests and the downtime parts of the game, the stuff you do (or can do) outside the main narrative. Mostly just because they weren't able to see those parts while playing the preview demo. But outside of that they seemed to like it a lot. Hearing that the world feels lively and such is music to my ears. Looks like they did good translating that from the original to the remake.

Rickyrozay2o9

Dec 11, 2017
Sounds like a really positive preview despite him being skeptical about downtime which I could understand since their wasn't any but do demos usually include side quests? Nonetheless I'm excited about what was said.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully we get another trailer this week hopefully focus more on the side stuff.

As for that preview I am glad it is positive but nitpicking over the lack of side missions and downtime in the demo they played was like they had to find something negative to say. In most previews side content rarely gets mentioned.

FrostweaveBandage

Unshakable Resolve
Sep 27, 2019
The comments about downtime sound like this is something he was looking for / questioning prior to the experience, but didn't find and felt the need to mention.

Honestly, he has a good point. There hasn't been a ton of talk in general about it other than the brief mention of sidequests.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
The comments about downtime sound like this is something he was looking for / questioning prior to the experience, but didn't find and felt the need to mention.

Honestly, he has a good point. There hasn't been a ton of talk in general about it other than the brief mention of sidequests.
I don't think there is any problem with him mentioning that in the article itself....
I think most people are having issue with the headline.

Status
Not open for further replies.